• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Frontiers has smashed the series record for concurrent Steam players,Kishimoto Hopes Sonic Frontiers Will Take Sonic Team to Highlight

Draugoth

Gold Member
https://www.sonicstadium.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/frontiers-hero.jpeg

https://www.sonicstadium.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/frontiers-hero.jpeg
The Steam release of Sonic Frontiers set a new record for the most concurrent players of any Sonic game on Steam. Following the game’s release last week, the Steam version has hit a peak of 19,181 concurrent players, according to SteamDB.

For comparison, these are the top concurrent peaks set by other Sonic titles to date:

1. Sonic Frontiers – 19,181
  2. Sonic Mania – 11,937
  3. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed – 5,861
  4. Sonic Origins 2,668
  5. Sonic Forces – 2,058
  6. Sonic Generations – 1,686
  7. Team Sonic Racing – 1,056
  8. Sonic Lost World – 252
------------------

Sonic Frontiers’ director, Morio Kishimoto, has revealed in a Tokyo Game Show interview a secret goal of Sonic Team’s when developing the game – to restore the studio’s reputation and place it at the top of the gaming development world.

Speaking with IGN Japan, Kishimoto described his ambitions for Sonic Frontiers and where he sees the project against the lineup of past Sonic the Hedgehog titles. Apparently, the 2D classics from the 1990s are considered by him to be ‘first generation’ Sonic games, while the 3D games from Sonic Adventure onwards can be seen as ‘second generation’. As a result, he hopes Sonic Frontiers will mark a ‘third generation’ of the Sonic franchise.

And he let slip a ‘secret concept’ behind Frontiers’ development. “Sonic Team, let’s shine once again in the world and become a Sonic Team that fights in the top group!” reads the statement on IGN Japan. It’s Google translated, so it might not have been 100% accurate wording, but the intent behind it is clear; Kishimoto is keen to bring the Sonic Team studio back to its former glory.

Source 1, Source 2

anthony2690

Banned
I really hope the game does well, I would love to see them keep this structure going forwards.

Improve pop in & that :)

bQ6kCH5.png

I personally couldn't put the game down and loved it, now I'm playing the levels on arcade, they should add a online leaderboard for the arcade mode stages imo.

I also had my missus moan at me this morning that since I got frontiers I've been on before she wakes up, when she goes bed, when she is at work and home.

I just haven't been able to stop playing, haven't enjoyed a sonic game this much since sonic 3&Knuckles, mania & adventure, made me feel like a kid again :)

A mainline 3D Sonic game releasing simultaneous on PC did better than games that came out on PC years after the original release? Get a load of this.

This doesn't mean much, the fact we aren't getting early sales reports is problematic, Forces gave us something by now.

feynoob

Banned
Steam player count means nothing.
But its nice to know alot of people played at the same time.

Now give us the sales numbers.

Holammer

Game is going to push a million+ copies in a couple of weeks/months and some discounts.
The metric to look out for is the # of Steam User Reviews, which currently sits pretty on 5.7k (20k+ is great). Launch concurrent is more of an initial hype check.

Kacho

Gold Member
Those numbers are extremely low, flop territory. I wouldn't gloat about them 😳
20k concurrent players for a dopey Sonic game on PC is impressive. That’s several thousand higher than Final Fantasy VIIR. If it’s doing this well on PC it must be crushing it on consoles.

Last edited:
I really hope the game does well, I would love to see them keep this structure going forwards.

bQ6kCH5.png

I personally couldn't put the game down and loved it, now I'm playing the levels on arcade, they should add a online leaderboard for the arcade mode stages imo.

I also had my missus moan at me this morning that since I got frontiers I've been on before she wakes up, when she goes bed, when she is at work and home.

I just haven't been able to stop playing, haven't enjoyed a sonic game this much since sonic 3&Knuckles, mania & adventure, made me feel like a kid again :)

Nice job sir 👍

I’ll add you to Xbox friends if that’s alright

bQ6kCH5.png

The game is really damn fun. I am having a blast running around at ludicrous speeds and the moments with the buddies are very poignant and touching. It is odd that this game has more emotional weight to its writing than anything I experienced from the supposed “best” first party studios in the past half decade.

Top Bottom