• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Frontiers | Review Thread

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
First 3D Sonic game I'm picking up at launch since Generations. I'm expecting a lot of jank, but I'm still looking forward to it.

Wish Sega would do something like this. Sonic is from the 16-bit days so using chunky 3D visuals would fit.
This looks more fun than Frontiers

Nvzman

The divergence between the good scores/aspects of the game and the bad are high. You have fair scores, but also have a good amount of bad scores. It's not like it's a "70+ score", it's 70 because theres a good amount of very bad scores attached to it (different from a 70 score where everyone gave between 70~60).
If I could take a review into the explanation part, Skill up said that at it's core Sonic Frontiers is bad but theres good stuff on it, which could be use for future games if they care to refine.
If you actually look, its stuck at 73/100 because its scoring mostly in the 8/10s (which for a non-Nintendo platformer thats a fairly great score, Rayman Origins had a lot of 8/10s and that is probably one of the best 2D platformers ever made) with a few upper 7/10s but theres a few ludicrously low scores like the 1/5 dragging it down, which I'm sorry cannot even be a remotely reputable review. The game might have issues but 1/5 is just being dishonestly unfair.
Regardless I'm going to give the game my fair shake, I'm pretty confident reading some spoiler-free impressions from non-critics its going to be a pretty good game.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member

Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

That looks insanely bad. How can they even ship this? The game doesn’t even look close to finished on a technical level.

Bragr

Banned
Its not "you have to play through something 2 times before it gets good", its "the more you master the game, the more fun the game gets". Its like an arcade game lmfao. Just because its not quite as pick up and play as something like Mario doesn't mean its not good. Its the same design as something like Dark Souls, where a first playthrough is a bit of a learning experience that can be frustrating but the game truly opens up and rewards you when you master its mechanics. And the truth is a lot of journalists don't give Sonic that type of love, so thats why fans tend to be significantly more positive towards the games than critics.
Its a different type of design, thats much more old-fashioned and arcadey. Nothing wrong with it at all.
I get your logic, but arcade games are small snippets, this is not that.

And I don't see the Dark Souls comparison, the issues in Sonic Frontiers, like the camera, level design, story, and puzzles, are not something that's gonna improve on second playthroughs.

I almost take it as you say you have to get used to the issues to enjoy it?

Ultimately, I haven't played this and maybe I am wrong, but I wish Sonic fans would have higher standards. We should demand a lot more from a franchise like this.

Zephir

Your parents thought a C was a good grade!?
of course
From 1 to 5 it's a bad grade
from 6 to 10 it's a good grade

So being in the middle of the "good grade" range is good.
Plus, since sometimes the 6 you get were actually 5 1/2 that the teacher upped to 6 just because they took pity on you, getting a +7 means you earned it, plain and simple.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'll wait to play this for future updates that hopefully fix the issues. No rush.

I do wonder if a Sonic game will ever be made that surpasses the originals. I've never played one that has come close. I used to think the same way about Mario, but I thought they did it with Galaxy, and I adored Odyssey(I know some didn't, I think they're out of their minds). So I guess it's not impossible, but for a game that relies so much on constant speed and movement, unlike Mario, not sure this is a feat that is likely accomplished.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
my issue with its visual style is why they went with hyper realistic environments which clash hard with cartoony Sonic character model?

If they want more "grounded" world they still can active that with more stylize visual, I mean just look at Kirby?
8MzZiErtQvR5uX4PRceV3M.jpg

scdrv7.jpeg

Compare to Kirby past games the locations in Forgotten Land is much more grounded but art style still cartoony and pleasant looking.

Last edited:

Fake

my issue with its visual style is why they went with hyper realistic environments which clash hard with cartoony Sonic character model?

If they want more "grounded" world they still can active that with more stylize visual, I mean just look at Kirby?

scdrv7.jpeg

Compare to Kirby past games the locations in Forgotten Land is much grounded but art style still cartoony and pleasant looking.

Sonic always had a good route with art direction, if you see games like Colors and Generation. IDK what that fuck is up with Sonic Team trying to mix art with realism. Its completely unnecessary Sonic Frontiers have realism at all.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sonic always had a good route with art direction, if you see games like Colors and Generation. IDK what that fuck is up with Sonic Team trying to mix art with realism. Its completely unnecessary Sonic Frontiers have realism at all.
I dont know maybe they try to impress people with more realistic graphics but this just not working out well, especially when you have rails on air for no logical reason other than its a Sonic game, they could have at least put small thrusters on those rails and platforms to show its hovering or something.

Last edited:
Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

That looks insanely bad. How can they even ship this? The game doesn’t even look close to finished on a technical level.
Deadlines.

SEGA are horrible at managing their teams. This game is merely a foundation upon which they can build something better.

of course
From 1 to 5 it's a bad grade
from 6 to 10 it's a good grade

So being in the middle of the "good grade" range is good.
Plus, since sometimes the 6 you get were actually 5 1/2 that the teacher upped to 6 just because they took pity on you, getting a +7 means you earned it, plain and simple.
What country is this? In America I feel like I'd be hard pressed to find someone who though barely passing is "good". Or I'm going to go out and become horribly depressed with the state of education.

Saber

Gold Member
If you actually look, its stuck at 73/100 because its scoring mostly in the 8/10s (which for a non-Nintendo platformer thats a fairly great score, Rayman Origins had a lot of 8/10s and that is probably one of the best 2D platformers ever made) with a few upper 7/10s but theres a few ludicrously low scores like the 1/5 dragging it down, which I'm sorry cannot even be a remotely reputable review. The game might have issues but 1/5 is just being dishonestly unfair.
Regardless I'm going to give the game my fair shake, I'm pretty confident reading some spoiler-free impressions from non-critics its going to be a pretty good game.

I disagree though, the game has clearly glaring issues, and thats outside of the game presentation. But I'm not here to make up your mind or be a party pooper. If you find cool go for it, I really hope you have fun.
But I appreciate when a reviewer really show/explain why it scores that bad. Skill Up by far is the most honest and reliable type of reviwer because I can feel this guy played the games.

Ristifer

I'm not sure why people bicker about whether or not 70-75 is good. The point is that Sonic Team blows and has a reputation for blowing. So, when they squeeze out a 73 game, it's not an overwhelming success story. It's just a continuation in a long line of mediocre games. That's why people are hesitant to say 73-74 is actually good.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Mid at best. I'm not surprised. Sonic is 3d has almost never worked. I'll wait for it to go down to 10 bucks.

I'm not sure why people bicker about whether or not 70-75 is good. The point is that Sonic Team blows and has a reputation for blowing. So, when they squeeze out a 73 game, it's not an overwhelming success story. It's just a continuation in a long line of mediocre games. That's why people are hesitant to say 73-74 is actually good.

Based on the actions and behavior of the game director, the previews, and the whole thing about this being a new "vision" for sonic for the next ten years, which ended up getting to fans, this was supposed to at least the first 3D Sonic game reaching an 80 in the last 20 years.

73 means it's in the region of Lost world and Heroes, and worse than Colors and Generations.

Because they got a unity template and then put Forces assets over it.

Also that Kirby mall doesn't look good at all. The front part of it looks stylized but not the back, or those detailed garage doors.

Eevee86

Yeah, a 7 is fine, I guess. Pretty pathetic for an IP that's been around for so long and once went toe to toe with Mario though.

Gambit2483

Sega couldn't afford to pay enough of them with their limited budget.

But in all seriousness, dropped from 74 too 74 with reviews still to go: https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/sonic-frontiers/critic-reviews

3D Sonic seems to hate the number 80.
I'm not even upset with a solid 7 game...I'm just baffled how some could give it a 7...then others less than a 5 while still others higher than 8.5. There's just way too much inconsistency.

I'll most likely pick it up if I can find it on sale during Black Friday

gothmog

Gold Member
I would not rate it over 5 with the amount of pop in I saw in the reviews. Giving this game a nostalgia driven "this is the best Sonic we've seen in years" does nobody any favors. These reviewers can always come back and re-review once the performance issues are addressed.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah, a 7 is fine, I guess. Pretty pathetic for an IP that's been around for so long and once went toe to toe with Mario though.
Does Sega even want to beat Mario anymore? Their entire infrastructure has changed since those days. While you still have many of the exact same team members of Mario still in and around at Nintendo.

jaysius

Banned
Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

I keep telling people this is a new paradigm, BUDGET AAA, so the savings only go into the investor's pockets, the players get fucked, don't buy this shit, it'll encourage more of this bad behavior.

nikos

Game looks good to me. Hopefully the PC port isn't trash. PS5 is out of the question at 1080p/60.

Lethal01

scdrv7.jpeg

Compare to Kirby past games the locations in Forgotten Land is much more grounded but art style still cartoony and pleasant looking.

As much as I hate the lack of cartoony stlylized aesthetic I don't think it's even the worse part. The far bigger issue is the lack of cohesive level design. I don't see this place and think I wanna run on these walls and do some loop de loops. I see it and think time to run across an extremely generic grassland to get to a totally disconnected, plain, platforming section.

Scotty W

Gold Member
SEGA are horrible at managing their teams. This game is merely a foundation upon which they can build something better.

It is really fascinating that Nintendo can allow the Bayonetta makers all the time they need to make a near perfect product, while Sega has to rush the glorious return of its flagship franchise.

Isa

I usually forego reviews save for general sentiments, but Arlo's review I thought was pretty reliable and has enough details to show he actually played the game. I'm looking forward to it, my first Sonic game in years. Looks fun enough.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Nah, bruh, nah.
If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

Can't let you tell that buddy, Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 + Knuckles were definitively Mario level quality back in time but in another genre (speed platformer).
Sonic 2 all alone made me buy a MegaDrive and I was a die hard Nintendo child fanboy. And the Sonic musics... OH. MY. TOAD. I still listen to them until today: Ice Cap, Chemical Plant, Flying Battery, Hydrocity, Sandopolis, Sky sanctuary, Oil Ocean, Metropolis, Death Egg Robot, Sonic Boss Battle...

Speed gameplay + catchy music = gaming heaven 💖😻💖
Scared Nintendo GIF

And I'm saying that as an ultimate fan of Mario 3, Mario World and Yoshi's Island.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
OK, I had some money in my Steam wallet and went ahead and bought this. Some of the reviews I watched made it look like an OK Sonic game, and I haven't played a Sonic game since literally 2012 or 2013, so I was jonesing.

- On PC this is sloppy. Even the options menu is largely unresponsive, and my DualSense controller won't work either bluetooth nor wired, so I have to play with my old Xbox One controller

- The cutscenes are bizarrely like super low res and run at 20-30 fps. This is on a beastly PC (RTX 3080 is my GPU for example). I am not exaggerating when I say that the cutscenes look like early PS3 games

- The action and locomotion seems pretty cool actually early on. You really get to haul serious ass as Sonic here, but the controls feel sluggish and weird. I need to give it more time

Ozzie666

Can we find a way to blame Naka for this somehow? Who would think we would ever live in a world where the Sonic movies are better than the games, and it's not even close! Still love the little blue guy, no matter what happens.

Top Bottom