• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Frontiers | Review Thread

Calverz

Send them to the same island with 343
The studio who made GAF’s goty 2021?
Charlie Day Reaction GIF

jaysius

Banned
This will be great on the bargain bin or on a GamePass service.

Hopefully this bizarre college grad/still in school team learns how to make games eventually.

This is budget AAA. it's a new genre, the company saves TONS OF MONEY and HOPES to make MORE.

MiguelItUp

Can't say that I'm too shocked about any of this. It's still so baffling to me that they got it out like they did, multiple folks asked about delaying the game, and they were like, "Nah, let's release." So odd to me.

Jinzo Prime

To be fair, a 74 isn't that bad.

We might be able to squeeze a bit of fun out of this until the next one. I just hope Sega sticks with this general idea and makes significant improvements next time.

hemo memo

Gold Member
"After decades of miserable failure, Sonic Team has finally made a good 3D Sonic the Hedgehog game, and it’s one of the best open world platformers ever seen."

Wow that’s a big praise from Metro.co.uk yet reviewer gave the game an 8.

Chukhopops

This will be great on the bargain bin or on a GamePass service.

Hopefully this bizarre college grad/still in school team learns how to make games eventually.

This is budget AAA. it's a new genre, the company saves TONS OF MONEY and HOPES to make MORE.
Cosplay What GIF by whee
What?

I don’t know what to think about this game, I actually like 3D Sonic games and was interested but I saw some webm of a boss fight and it looked like complete dogshit, broken camera, spammy gameplay, weird UI.

I guess I’ll buy it somewhere down the line.

SkylineRKR

For a Sonic game, a 3D one at that, this reviews well.. I really liked Generations and even Unleashed. They always have problems, but replaying stages for red coins and better ratings is somewhat addicting. I generally like them to some extent.

Sojiro

Its doing a little better than my usual expectations for a 3D sonic game (especially going off some of the videos we've seen in the last couple months), which are usually mediocre, but this one seems at least decent. Sonic games still work best in the 2D space, and I don't think any of these 3D releases will ever change that.

Nvzman

Sonic(and it's fans) reach a level in it's life that "not being completelly trash" is already good thing in their book.

To be fair, a 74 isn't that bad.

We might be able to squeeze a bit of fun out of this until the next one. I just hope Sega sticks with this general idea and makes significant improvements next time.

Sounds like a hard pass.
Im genuinely baffled how a 70+ score is poor. Thats pretty firmly in the "good" territory.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
That 1/5 review looks like another attention seeking idiot. It's really hard to imagine how bad game should be to deserve such score.
Time to send death threats. Let's go! 😜

On the serious note, it's reviewing pretty well for something tgat I thought it would get destroyed

Codes 208

Im genuinely baffled how a 70+ score is poor. Thats pretty firmly in the "good" territory.
A lot of people are victims to stockholm syndrome from back when it seemed only sites like IGN mattered and anything below 8 was mediocre at best

These days i stopped caring for reviews, dragon ball breakers is a 6 at best but i still put over 80 hours into it because the gameplay is stupidly addictive when playing with friends

Alan Wake

Looking pretty good. I didn't expect much after the first trailer, but it is actually looking like a big step forward for Sonic.

Nvzman

Most games that fall in the 70s to me tend to have little to offer or become stale fast.
Tbh score numbers are meaningless, especially coming from critics. I personally value the fun factor of a game far more than if it's "cinematic" or "has great writing" or what not. If your game has a brilliant story but the gameplay is mediocre or dull then it's a 5/10 at best. God of War is the biggest offender of this, I plan on giving it another shot but when I played it for 5-6 hours I was absolutely bored to tears by the gameplay, compared to other action games it felt extremely dull. Great story and presentation but uninspired gameplay immediately ruins the game for me.

Tbh score numbers are meaningless, especially coming from critics. I personally value the fun factor of a game far more than if it's "cinematic" or "has great writing" or what not. If your game has a brilliant story but the gameplay is mediocre or dull then it's a 5/10 at best. God of War is the biggest offender of this, I plan on giving it another shot but when I played it for 5-6 hours I was absolutely bored to tears by the gameplay, compared to other action games it felt extremely dull. Great story and presentation but uninspired gameplay immediately ruins the game for me.
It's not pointless when moneys on the line. If I had unlimited funds maybe, but I do value agrigate review scores when it comes to spending my money. Unless its a game i planned on buying anyway. If I'm on the fence then these scores matter.

Saber

Gold Member

The divergence between the good scores/aspects of the game and the bad are high. You have fair scores, but also have a good amount of bad scores. It's not like it's a "70+ score", it's 70 because theres a good amount of very bad scores attached to it (different from a 70 score where everyone gave between 70~60).
If I could take a review into the explanation part, Skill up said that at it's core Sonic Frontiers is bad but theres good stuff on it, which could be use for future games if they care to refine.

Last edited:
Are we actually gonna pretend that a 74 is not a pretty good result for this? Like the last few Sonic Team games have been sub-60, this is a pretty ambitious project for them and it didn't look great at first. For it to come out as a decently fun and interesting game is pretty impressive.

Nvzman

It's not pointless when moneys on the line. If I had unlimited funds maybe, but I do value agrigate review scores when it comes to spending my money. Unless its a game i planned on buying anyway. If I'm on the fence then these scores matter.
My point is less about spending your money wisely and more that critics are typically the worst sources nowadays for good video game reviews. They don't really put much time into the games they play which can seriously hurt games that are designed around things like replayability or having a learning curve. Typically when I'm on the fence with a game, I vastly prefer hearing user reviews and independent YouTube channels because those tend to represent people who are more passionate for video games and aren't just doing it as a job.
The user reviews for this game so far are actually highly positive, which is why it's genuinely annoying to see people here immediately disregard the game as "bad" because apparently a 70+ average score from critics means bad when they were giving legitimately worthless games like Battlefield 2042 8/10s. Critics are completely out of touch with reality at this point.

Ristifer

Are we actually gonna pretend that a 74 is not a pretty good result for this? Like the last few Sonic Team games have been sub-60, this is a pretty ambitious project for them and it didn't look great at first. For it to come out as a decently fun and interesting game is pretty impressive.
I mean, I guess so? It's basically Sonic Team getting a participation ribbon because they decided to finally not suck.

Killer8

It's all relative. Most reviewers do not use the full scale, and most gamers consider anything below 80 as a failure.

I don't agree with it, but that's the way this works. The game has quality issues if it's not hitting at least 80.

Zephir

Seems like a great result despite a disastrous marketing start and the usual prejudice.

Honestly I don't get why a 7/8 range is seen as a disappointment or failure... If I had those grades at school I would get pizza as a reward

Top Bottom