• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Frontiers Sequel To Have Bigger Budget After Exceeding Sales Expectations

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

SEGA has confirmed that Sonic Frontiers has "greatly exceeded" the company's sales expectations. Moving forward, SEGA says that it will be "proceeding with a bigger budget, even from the basic research stage."

During a recent investor Q&A (via Reddit), SEGA discussed numerous points related to the critical reception of Sonic Frontiers, the number of units sold, and how the company intends on handling future projects. SEGA said it was aware of the overall Metacritic score being slightly lower than expected for Sonic Frontiers, but the user score was very high. The company said it believes it can "build more repeat sales of Sonic Frontiers through pricing, discounts and the recently announced DLC."

SEGA then went on to discuss the sales of Sonic Frontiers, stating that "the number of units sold greatly exceeded our original estimation." Then, when asked if SEGA intends to commit to large-scale projects like Sonic Frontiers in the future, a spokesperson for the company said, "We expect development costs for new titles to grow even larger in the future."

"Since it is necessary to take on these challenges for major titles, we are proceeding with a bigger budget, even from the basic research stage. Therefore, we assume that development costs for future new titles will increase accordingly, " SEGA went on to confirm.

hemo memo

Gold Member
More friends will be added for the sequel.
Oh god please no

Sonic-06-kiss.jpg

cireza

Banned
Then they fuck it all up and we get trash.
I respect your opinion. I replayed many times Unleashed, Forces and Lost World. I know that I will never touch again Frontiers. Great news for you, I guess.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I respect your opinion. I replayed many times Unleashed, Forces and Lost World. I know that I will never touch again Frontiers. Great news for you, I guess.
You complain about, "more of the same" but would like them to stay with, "more of the same" boost gameplay?

Unleashed was pretty good and so was Lost World but boost needed to go or become improved upon but it kept getting worse.

cireza

Banned
You complain about, "more of the same" but would like them to stay with, "more of the same" boost gameplay?
All three games are quite different. Unleashed and Forces are not only about the boost gameplay, it represents less than half of each game. Same for Generations by the way... Lost World doesn't even have boost gameplay... Have you played the game ?

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Happy for them. Finally a break after all these years of disappointments. I really like Sonic Frontiers. It has its issues for sure, but it's the biggest step forward since Sonic Adventure and I'm glad it paid off. I never thought Sonic would work in an open world but gosh I was wrong. It's just the opposite - of course Sonic belongs in an open world!

Looking forward to the DLC and the sequel.

Unknown?

All three games are quite different. Unleashed and Forces are not only about the boost gameplay, it represents less than half of each game. Same for Generations by the way... Lost World doesn't even have boost gameplay... Have you played the game ?
Unleashed, Forces, Generations, and Colors are all essentially the same.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Did SEGA address the whole "Switch version holds the other versions back..." aspect of the game?

For some reason, I'm really interested in Frontiers but I was hoping that patches would be rolled out to allow the PS5 version to run better.

Lethal01

I also love unleashed, colors was worse than unleashed, Forces was worse than colors. they were both more of the same, but also downgrades from the original.

Frontiers has clear issues but I can atleast see those getting fixed

Alan Wake

I thought the game had tanked hard?
Got it two weeks after release for about $30... considering games in this country are $80 normally.
Sega revealed they sold 2,5 million copies in five weeks, Sonic Frontiers was no 4 in the NPD top 10 for November. So really, really good for a Sonic game. What remains to be seen is what kind of legs this game has.

StueyDuck

I would not be opposed to such a thing. It was a totally fine swimming in 7s game that surprised me.

Now take what they learnt there. Improve the LOD and Pop-in then go back to what make SA 1&2 great and work from there.

Maybe we'll Finally get a good maybe even great 3d sonic game again

SkylineRKR

The game was on sale quickly, this is true. Some friends bought it for 40 or 30 a few weeks after launch. I liked it enough to see it to the end.

I would always prefer a Mania 2, but Frontiers was fun in its own right. It was strangly soothing to play, perhaps because of the music and you can do stuff at your own leisure. The second should be technically better, perhaps drop last-gen. And less repetitive. After 3 zones I was kind of done, but then the 4th broke the pace but the last is same old again.

Even after I finished it I played a lot of cyberspace levels in arcade mode. Where are the leaderboards.

Saber

Gold Member
I thought the game had tanked hard?
Got it two weeks after release for about $30... considering games in this country are $80 normally.

It was actually being sold for 30 bucks less(30 brazilian reais) here after the first week, similar to Origins though Origins took more than 2 weeks.

SomeGit

Sega revealed they sold 2,5 million copies in five weeks, Sonic Frontiers was no 4 in the NPD top 10 for November. So really, really good for a Sonic game. What remains to be seen is what kind of legs this game has.

Lately Sonic games have had some pretty good legs. In FY 21 Q3, the sold 3.7 million accounting for the whole series which is pretty good given that the last game release was TSR in 19 and mania/forces in 17.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Lately Sonic games have had some pretty good legs. In FY 21 Q3, the sold 3.7 million accounting for the whole series which is pretty good given that the last game release was TSR in 19 and mania/forces in 17.
Oh, really? That's pretty impressive if true. Hopefully Frontiers can keep it up, would be nice to see it break 5 million one day.

Top Bottom