• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Mod Replaces Sonic With Super Mario

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Skyth, a prominent Sonic Generations modder, posted a video of Mario from Super Mario 64 running through various Sonic levels. While some assumed it was an April Fool's joke, the modder quickly followed up with a link to download the mod for real. Though simple model-swaps have been done before, Skyth went a step further and ported over many functions from Super Mario 64. This means the physics function similarly, including the infamous backwards long jump trick and walljumping.

The amount of dedication to keeping Super Mario 64's physics intact is so high that some levels may not be completable. The modder recommends using a 100% complete save file, but states on the GameBanana page that beating all stages "depends on your creativity," implying that experienced players may find ways to complete everything. Given the incredible lengths Super Mario 64 players go for challenges like speedrunning or using exploits to skip stars, this could be an interesting new challenge for fans of either Super Mario 64 or Sonic Generations.

Importantly, the mod does not actually include any assets from Super Mario 64; players must have a valid ROM dump of the NTSC-U version to use the mod. While it introduces a roadblock to players, the extra step is most likely to prevent legal issues, especially since Nintendo is very strict about distribution of its old games. This unfortunately means that to play the mod legally, players must own a Super Mario 64 cartridge and use a ROM dump device to obtain a backup, which can then be used with the mod.

Last edited:

Shifty

I don't know if I'll ever understand why someone would do this, but it's very impressive.

They even included the heavy landing where mario squishes up and down after a long fall. That's some serious attention to detail.

Last edited:
I guess the new mod fad is going to be "put Mario 64 Mario in everything" soon enough.

Will be waiting for Mario in Crash Bandicoot and Spyro.

Top Bottom