• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Team says it doesn’t want to bring movie elements into the games

Bullet Club

Sonic Team says it doesn’t want to bring movie elements into the games​

Instead, “I really wanted to expand on the game to make it appealing to everyone,” says studio head

Zb0JyAx.jpg

Sonic Team’s boss has suggested he isn’t keen to bring elements from the recent Sonic the Hedgehog movies and put them into future video games.

With rare exceptions (such as character Tails), the Sonic movies feature a new cast of actors and altered designs to the video games, and also give Sonic and Knuckles new origin stories.

Speaking to VGC in a recent Sonic Frontiers interview, studio head Takashi Iizuka said he would rather keep ‘game Sonic’ as the core of the video games, and attempt to expand on the series in order to appeal to a broader audience.

“Because the movie Sonic came from where the game started, trying to take the movie qualities and stick it back into the games doesn’t really work well,” he said.

“What I want to do is stay faithful to our game Sonic and really expand on the game Sonic to incorporate new ideas that are going to get people excited about new games.

“In our mobile games, we do have ‘Movie Sonic’ appearing as a guest character, and that kind of collaboration feels really good because there are people who saw the movie and only understand the character through that.

“But the game Sonic is really the core essence of the character, so instead of trying to take the movie and put it inside of the game, I really wanted to expand on the game to make it appealing to everyone.”

He added: “I think having Movie Sonic as a guest character is viable and certainly something that we’re going to do, but keeping the essence and core of Sonic in the games and then expanding out is probably what I’d prefer to do, rather than try to shoehorn in [the movie].”

The original Sonic the Hedgehog was a surprise success, with it becoming the top-grossing video game adaptation of all time in the US. Earlier this year, the original movie’s record was topped by its sequel, and Paramount Pictures and Sega have confirmed that a third Sonic film and a live-action TV series have entered production.

X41AcHf.jpg

Commenting on the movies’ success, Iizuka said it presented a welcome challenge for Sonic Team because it now has a broader audience to satisfy with its game releases.

“Because of the success of the movies, we’re finding that we’re reaching into this wider audience of people who maybe never played the game before, or don’t play them that much. It’s this wider group of fans who we need to start now making content for.

“Honestly, it makes us all very happy, because we have more people now that we can bring content to. It is a challenge though, because we have maybe new gamers or people who haven’t played previous Sonic games, so we don’t think we can go out there with on single game that will make the entire audience excited.”

Source: VGC

The movies were not good. I don't want James Marsden in my mascot platformer game.

And for the love of God, I don't want Chris Pratt or the curly head shit anywhere near Mario. I don't want Sonic the Movie in the game just so no precedent can be set lol.

Bragr

Banned
But the movies have been the best things for Sonic since Sonic Mania.

Honestly, I think it's probably time Sega just took Sonic Team off the IP and partner with Nintendo.
Just imagine if they outsourced Sonic, there are so many great 2D platform developers these days, hell, they could give it to some indie devs and still outperform what they have been doing for the last 20 years.

Sonic games are selling like absolute trash, a good Sonic game with over 90 on metacritic would push 10 million easily.

They already said the combat is inspired by the movies. They are taking Sonic out of a cartoon like world into another more realistic looking world just like the movies. And they will probably have movie skins that you can buy.

SCB3

Just imagine if they outsourced Sonic, there are so many great 2D platform developers these days, hell, they could give it to some indie devs and still outperform what they have been doing for the last 20 years.

Sonic games are selling like absolute trash, a good Sonic game with over 90 on metacritic would push 10 million easily.
Thats how we ended up with Sonic Mania and the better remastered versions of the Originals that are going to be in Sonic Origins next week

Ryu Kaiba

I thought the movie was okay but it's definitely the right decision to keep the universes separate.
What works for the movies wouldn't be appealing in the games.

Has Sonic Team ever had the thought of bringing good design elements into Sonic games at some point in the last 10 years or so? How about that one Sonic Team? Too hard for you?

Thing is, some of the 3D Sonics actually have great game mechanics in isolation. The problem is Sonic Team never decided on a good foundation, they're constantly throwing everything out with each new 3D Sonic aside from speed boosters and homing lock-on, which aren't fundamental things.

They need to decide on some strong foundations and build on top of them. That's what Mario did all the way back with Super Mario 64.

EGS_SonicMania_Lab42_S5-1360x765-31b5379f91e2451e57e0273339bf68b8.jpg

Actually I think Sonic Forces did pretty decent like 3 million or something but you're right, a legit great 3D Sonic would do 10+ million with little problem, especially since these movies have been pretty good and the animated shows are consistently solid.

levyjl1988

Banned
One of the problems that I have with Sonic Frontiers is the floating grind rails, it doesn't make any fucking sense. It feels like game developers dropping assets into the world than something that was naturally created and Sonic using it for his benefit.
It would have been nice to have the grind rails be something naturally formed like giant alien snakes frozen over and because of their sudden freezing, they became something of a railway to grind and then if something were to occur to the temperature and they got thawed out become enemies to fight.
Or colliding mountains with earthquakes and strange vortexes forming the loop the loops, you know just something that feels natural and cool. Not some lazy ass fucking shit of just putting random grind rails in the sky that have fucking pop in. It needs a secondary function to its existence that makes sense.
Honestly, the Sonic game designers suck and this is why Sonic games will always be B and C-tier games.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Ben Moore from EZA gave me some hope at least, he said it makes more sense when you play it, but on the flipside he's a pretty positive guy so maybe he's going easy on it. I'll see what happens when its actually out. The combat looks really rough a lot of the time and it just seems really unfinished, but then again maybe it is, it might not release for years.

Last edited:

Thabass

Man, I love Sonic Team, but Jesus. It's like they typically ignore what fans think of their games and never ask what fans actually want out of them. I know they want to keep their artistic integrity, but they threw it out the window with Forces. I've never played a more soulless video game in my life and that was Forces. Which is sad to say. Maybe one of these days, they will understand what fans want out of the series and less about what they think works.

Bragr

Banned
Thats how we ended up with Sonic Mania and the better remastered versions of the Originals that are going to be in Sonic Origins next week
That's niche stuff for people with nostalgia. I am talking something fresh, like Rayman Origins or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. Something on the level of Ori, or New Super Mario Bros.

Sonic Mania and Sonic Origins are fine, but it's ultra-trite.

PhaseJump

Banned
Sooner or later some shithead at Sammy will say: "Hey, let's make Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie: The Game!"

And Sega's rotting, corporate corpse will be reanimated with cash for another round of flailing about, dancing while trying to get 40 year olds to be impressed by nostalgia.

Codes 208

Shame because so far the movie is the best thing theyve produced since generations. (And mania too, but that was more of a fan project made official)

I just want them to bring good elements into the games
How is bringing movie elements going to change anything?
But the movies have been the best things for Sonic since Sonic Mania.

Honestly, I think it's probably time Sega just took Sonic Team off the IP and partner with Nintendo.
Nintendo would be a terrible choice, they play it way too safe and their business practices are awful. Unless they use HAL Laboratories, If they're going to give Sonic to someone else (they never will) it should be Sony with Insomniac Games, even if it's a Playstation and PC exclusive, the team who worked on Ratchet & Clank and Spiderman is just a much better fit.
Normally, I'd agree 100%. But, the movies are actually the first good thing to come from the Sonic franchise.
Of course, being a Sonic thread in Neogaf, there's always that hater. The Movies are mid-tier as fuck (Movie 1 is too derivative, Movie 2 has too much filler), Sonic SatAM and that 90's OVA are much better. Not to mention there's so many better things that came from the franchise, like the Fleetway and IDW comics and of course, games like 2, 3&K, Adventure 1 & 2, Heroes, Riders 1 & 2, Battle, Rush 1 & 2, Advance 1-3, Unleashed and many others games that get hated on for no real reason.
That's niche stuff for people with nostalgia. I am talking something fresh, like Rayman Origins or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. Something on the level of Ori, or New Super Mario Bros.

Sonic Mania and Sonic Origins are fine, but it's ultra-trite.
Imagine calling New Super Mario Bros. something "fresh"
Can they bring in some sonic 2d vibes?
No. Fuck off, we don't need no more Genesis fanboy pandering in this franchise when many of us have been waiting for something in the lines of the Adventure games for years.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned

Nintendo would be a terrible choice, they play it way too safe and their business practices are awful. Unless they use HAL Laboratories, If they're going to give Sonic to someone else (they never will) it should be Sony with Insomniac Games, even if it's a Playstation and PC exclusive, the team who worked on Ratchet & Clank and Spiderman is just a much better fit.

Of course, being a Sonic thread in Neogaf, there's always that hater. The Movies are mid-tier as fuck (Movie 1 is too derivative, Movie 2 has too much filler), Sonic SatAM and that 90's OVA are much better. Not to mention there's so many better things that came from the franchise, like the Fleetway and IDW comics and of course, games like 2, 3&K, Adventure 1 & 2, Heroes, Riders 1 & 2, Battle, Rush 1 & 2, Advance 1-3, Unleashed and many others games that get hated on for no real reason.

No. Fuck off, we don't need no more Genesis fanboy pandering in this franchise when many of us have been waiting for something in the lines of the Adventure games for years.
Hint: the adventure games are absolute trash

MMaRsu

Banned
And I dont see how this open world asset flip even remotepy resembles anything from the Adventure games.

Lol, never seen such a defensive Sonic the Hedgehog fanboy before.

Bragr

Banned
Not sure what you are trying to say here, New Super Mario refreshed the 2D Mario game. Not just modern level design and gameplay, but also visually.

The only 2D Sonic games around worth playing are copying the early 90s. Any real Sonic fan hates Sonic Mania and Sonic Origins. It's boring re-animated slog for old fans who can't get enough of nostalgia.

Sonic Origins is like dragging an old horse cadaver out from the ocean and trying to ride it.

Bragr

Banned
I mean thats what Sonic 4 was going for, Sonics biggest issue is the Speed, you could go the Mario route and provide an over abundance of levels/worlds but its still over quick
I don't think the problem is speed, it's not hard to make longer levels, the problem with Sonic, in my opinion, is that any time they try to do any sort of puzzle, story, combat. or anything not involving running, they fuck it up.

Hell, even running is routinely fucked up by the level design. I wanna see them experimenting with different camera zooms (so you don't have to memorize the level to play well) and powerups and more variations in speed. Something, just something that doesn't follow the old outdated design principles.

Shifty

Only Sonic Team could maneuver themselves into a position where confirming that the spinoff won't be affecting the original is a lose-lose situation.

Astounding work, gentlemen.

iu

Not sure what you are trying to say here, New Super Mario refreshed the 2D Mario game. Not just modern level design and gameplay, but also visually.

The only 2D Sonic games around worth playing are copying the early 90s. Any real Sonic fan hates Sonic Mania and Sonic Origins. It's boring re-animated slog for old fans who can't get enough of nostalgia.

Sonic Origins is like dragging an old horse cadaver out from the ocean and trying to ride it.
NSMB still played it too safe to the point it felt souless, the first one revived 2D Mario sure, but it didn't do anything new with it like DK or Rayman did. Mania was a fun game, the only problem were the lack of new stages and Origins is a collection and it seems they're putting some effort with all the new stuff. They also played it way too safe, but I don't think they're anything to hate and if anything, I consider them above NSMB.
Hint: the adventure games are absolute trash
I think they're some of the best 3D platformers that generation had to offer, they innovated in so many aspects and even with their flaws I find them fun to play through. People who say they were trash probably only played the inferior ports for 5 minutes (if at all), sucked at the first stage and dropped them.
Lol, never seen such a defensive Sonic the Hedgehog fanboy before.
I might seem like defensive fanboy here, but I know the series has flaws, I LOVE Sonic as much as I do Mario or Kirby but I care enough to want the best for it, otherwise it could end up like Pokemon, with every game since Gen 6 feeling souless and stale and dumbing down it's audience everytime more, to the point that it now feels like it's something aimed at 1 year olds with mental dissabilities. (I heard good things about Legends: Arceus atleast, and Scarlet/Violet look like a step up, but Pokemon is a dead franchise to me and it would hurt to let Sonic go the same way.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom