• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sons of the Forest |OT| Chop, build, survive, repeat

.Pennywise

Banned
FB1l9Eb.png

RB2BrDM.png

NGVb1Dg.png

It’s been a long journey since we first started ‘Sons of The Forest’ development and it’s grown into the biggest most complex game we have ever made. There is still so much more we want to add; items, new mechanics, gameplay balance and more. We didn’t want to delay again so have instead decided to involve the community in the continued development of this project and keep our February 23rd release date but instead release in Early Access.

‘The Forest’ turned out to be a massive success, due mostly to the awesome community and the suggestions, feedback, and bug reports the players shared with us. We are really excited and hope that players want to come on this new journey with us to make this the ultimate survival horror simulator.

The team at endnight

VirginiaWaterfall.gif

An entirely new experience from the makers of the ‘The Forest’.

Sent to find a missing billionaire on a remote island, you find yourself in a cannibal-infested hellscape. Craft, build, and struggle to survive, alone or with friends, in this terrifying new open-world survival horror simulator.

A Survival Horror Simulator

Experience complete freedom to tackle the world how you want. You decide what you do, where to go and how best to survive. There are no NPC's barking orders at you or giving you missions you don't want to do. You give the orders, you choose what happens next.

Fight Demons

Enter a world where nowhere is safe and fight against a range of mutated creatures, some who are almost human like, and others who are like nothing you have ever seen before. Armed with pistols, axes, stun batons and more, protect yourself and those you care for.

Build and Craft

Feel every interaction; Break sticks to make fires. Use an axe to cut out windows and floors. Build a small cabin, or a sea-side compound, the choice is yours.

Changing Seasons

Pluck fresh salmon directly from streams in spring and summer. Collect and store meat for the cold winter months. You're not alone on this island, so as winter rolls in and food and resources become scarce you won't be the only one looking for a meal.

Co-op Gameplay

Survive alone, or with friends. Share items and work together to build defenses. Bring back-up to explore above and below ground.

QwyksPf.png

Nz5RMXN.jpg
EGSJUuq.jpg
kI6xeuZ.jpg
Um9IJSb.jpg
72qVt2H.jpg
DYUY4Mr.jpg
3JL8JaF.jpg
AVxEC3N.jpg
pvzjKbu.jpg
YgDoPRI.jpg

Q2r4iwh.png

CloudyDistinctDrongo-size_restricted.gif
FondAccurateIvorybackedwoodswallow-size_restricted.gif
SatisfiedFaroffAmericanbobtail-size_restricted.gif
MarvelousVerifiableBellfrog-size_restricted.gif
SphericalEvilBangeltiger-size_restricted.gif
MammothFrayedIcefish-size_restricted.gif
HotImmenseChuckwalla-size_restricted.gif
VibrantCoarseCoati-size_restricted.gif
AcrobaticRemorsefulGrayfox-size_restricted.gif
AmusingInfantileAmericanpainthorse-size_restricted.gif

ZlrQXQH.png

ThunderousAngelicGerbil-size_restricted.gif
NiceSmartEft-size_restricted.gif
HarshDecisiveBagworm-size_restricted.gif
ComplexSoupyEft-size_restricted.gif
ImpartialSparklingBluetickcoonhound-size_restricted.gif

MmxxJX2.png

ShowyGrouchyDragon-size_restricted.gif

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Awesome OT! I never gave much time to The Forest, but I'm definitely down for this.

How is one supposed to naturally react to that last gif? Asking for a friend...

adamosmaki

kinda disappointed is an early access but if the feedback is positive definitely getting this. The forest was easily the best single player survival game

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's a shame it's not a v1 release, wasn't exactly craving to be a beta tester... But I'll jump in with crossed fingers because I just can't wait..

Edit: It's been "unlock in approximately less than an hour" for ~three hours now..

Last edited:
Pc only, no ps5?

lucious lyon wtf GIF

Edit; Sony should lower some of the QA requirements for Indie devs so they can release games in early access mode. The tree log duplicate glitch better still work.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
"Sorry, we couldn't add your item!"

giphy.gif

Edit: Just tried to add a random game to the shopping cart:

"There was an error trying to load your shopping cart. Please try again later."

Last edited:

moniker

The store page doesn't say early access, and the news item that said they we're releasing as early access has been deleted. Strange.

Edit: It says early access now so it was probably a glitch or a small screw up.

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
The store page doesn't say early access, and the news item that said they we're releasing as early access has been deleted. Strange.

Edit: It says early access now so it was probably a glitch or a small screw up.
It's just Steam not being able to handle the success of this release (?

Macattk15

Your comment seems a bit harsh.. A lot of people are excited, and we're probably not that stupid.. I'm not a survival game fan, but this one is a bit different..

Anyway, Steam is up again, yay, downloading.
Just report his useless drive by post and enjoy the game.

MarkyG

Of all the days for Steam to shit the bed! Finally managed to purchase and downloading now. Had so much fun with the first game, even with the jank. Can't wait! :)

bitbydeath

Oh, I just thought of an OT Title, “They mostly come out at night, mostly”

Great OT though OP, looking forward to this one.

Nice at least there's a good OT. I feel like this game should be huge (sales numbers-wise) so hopefully it ends up at least as good as the first and gets good word of mouth to push sales. 728K viewers on Twitch right now so at least people are watching it.

Last edited:

nikos

Does anybody know how multiplayer works? I'm reading there aren't dedicated servers, so does one person host? How's progression for hosts and non-hosts?

MiguelItUp

Watching LIRIK play this, looks pretty cool. Definitely got its share of bugs though. For instance, don't hold "I", it just straight up bugs. Every time he did it, it just kept repeating a sound, and he had to relaunch/reload a save.

I never played the first game, but this makes me curious about both. But with the sequel I'll probably hold out until actual release.

RhyDin

How do I drop items on the ground from my bag? I know when I press G it puts something I'm holding into my backpack - I'm not sure I know of any way to drop stuff on the ground that I'm holding or from my backpack?

Boneless

What's the concencus? I have not played The Forest but loved Ark in the day, it looks interesting but some reviews look underwhelmed.

GymWolf

I desperately want to like this game but i fucking hate survivals with buipdimg mechanics.

Btw, some gore preview:

Darak

Well, it's certainly an early access release. The story is there, even up to an ending cutscene, but it is clearly incomplete. The map is almost devoid of interesting locations, and a number of places are just empty. Many crafting mechanics, and even some basic UI, are missing. Performance is terrible, and there are a ton of glitches with AI and animations. I'd say 6-8 months to final release seems overly optimistic, unless they leave the game half dead. This needs at least 2-3 years of work.

I'm not a huge fan of the original (I find the crafting too grindy, the enemies too random, and I think the game relies too much on you finding random things in obscure places in order to progress) but I enjoyed it. This one seems it will be more of the same. So far, it looks like the survival aspects have been toned down (there is water and food everywhere) while enemies are now extremely frequent, every other bush seems to hide a cannibal or two.

At this point, it looks like waiting for the final release is the sensible choice.

Top Bottom