• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s 2021 TV lineup runs Google TV and fully embraces HDMI 2.1

, better motion,
Did you try c1 yet bro?

Still want to hear your thoughts on the motion

E4N72-tVgAET-Np.jpg

xD

Kuranghi

Did you try c1 yet bro?

Still want to hear your thoughts on the motion

E4N72-tVgAET-Np.jpg

xD

Uhhh... yeah... I definitely definitely didn't forget again and I did all the tests and I tried it and the Sony motion was better. Case closed!

No of course I didn't because I'm a wally. Change "better motion" to "I heard its better".

I'm working tomorrow so will hopefully get time.

Last edited:
Uhhh... yeah... I definitely definitely didn't forget again and I did all the tests and I tried it and the Sony motion was better. Case closed!

No of course I didn't because I'm a wally. Change "better motion" to "I heard its better".

I'm working tomorrow so will hopefully get time.
I figured you did, I was just giving you a hard time lol.

I agree with everything else you said though, even input lag except when playing a 60fps game in boost mode (simulating a 120fps signal) ; that feels significantly more responsive than the 20-18ms i’ve been exposed to since 2017 samsung.

But x1 ultimate vs c1 with bfi (can’t use boost mode), is no difference at all. But of course i’d use bfi on c1 so the boost mode for me is only useful for competitive like you said.

Lognor

Banned
Will you use a sound system with it or just the TV sound? The sound in the A80J/A90J is quite a bit better than the C1. Look up "Acoustic Surface" if you don't know what it is.

The Sony still can't do 4K120&Dolby Vision at the same time like the C1 can, only 4K60&DV or 4K120, I personally don't think its a reason to lose out on bit better picture with Sony but be aware if you have an XSX.

The image quality, like gradients, colour accuracy, upscaling/image processing and motion on the Sony A80J is better than the C1, the A90J has that and better HDR so will give you the best picture overall, but probably only get the A90J if you its your main set and want the best since the price is a big jump up over A80J. Its worth the money I think definitely though, it looks amazing.

I think VRR is the same on the C1 and A80J/A90J but someone else can tell you that for definite. Input lag is lower on C1 than A80J, ~10ms vs ~17ms but I don't think its even worth thinking about when its under 20ms unless you are only playing multiplayer fps's or fighting games.

TL;DR - Better locational unique sound system, better image quality and motion, even better IQ with A90J again, but slightly higher input lag and no 4K120&DV together. The last thing could be added in firmware update but I wouldn't bet on it.

If you're the kind of person who notices changes in an image like going from 2160p to 1800p then you'll notice the Sony difference. If you look at performance modes next to fidelity mode and almost always choose the performance mode because it doesn't look that different to you (sharpness and resolution wise, not the motion difference) then save money and get another C1 and definitely don't buy the A90J.
If they're the same price or like £100-£200 different then I think the Sony is worth it for the sound system alone but obviously not if you don't plan to use the TV sound.
Thanks for the detailed information. I will be using a sound bar so tv sound isn't as important. Right now the 77" is $100 cheaper for the lg. But it doesn't include the atsc 3.0 tuner which will add $100 to the price if i decide to get one. Yeah it's a tough call. I might just wait for the 2022 models or get either one of these if there is a killer price.

Jadsey

Could anybody please help me with settings on an X900H/X90H for a Nintendo Switch!

I moved from a 1080p set last year to the X900H and whilst my Series X and PS5 look glorious, the Switch looks utter garbage!

I am a complete dunce when it comes to this sort of thing, so any help would be great.

Shmunter

Could anybody please help me with settings on an X900H/X90H for a Nintendo Switch!

I moved from a 1080p set last year to the X900H and whilst my Series X and PS5 look glorious, the Switch looks utter garbage!

I am a complete dunce when it comes to this sort of thing, so any help would be great.
I’m not sure if the model has it, my 900e does. Try Reality Creation slider to some setting on the 1080p image.

GymWolf

In your opinion, Is an lg c1 55" at 1281 euros (1483 dollars) a great occasion or usually that tv goes down even more during big offers?!

They also have the sony 55A80J for 1736 dollars...

Isn't the sony a 2020 model? How can it cost more than a 2021 higly celebrated model?!

Also kinda of a noob question, if sony win for motion and upscaling and panasonic win for color accuracy out of the box (pretty important stuff especially the color thing since i don't have any good tv calibrator where i live), in what aspects does the lg oled wins?! I don't really care about 120 frames, but i care about the vrr thingy for when i have uneven framerate.

Why is the c1 the best for gaming?

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Issue is the Switch.

In your opinion, Is an lg c1 55" at 1281 euros (1483 dollars) a great occasion or usually that tv goes down even more during big offers?!

Isn't the sony a 2020 model? How can it cost more than a 2021 higly celebrated model?!

Also kinda of a noob question, if sony win for motion and upscaling and panasonic win for color accuracy out of the box (pretty important stuff especially the color thing since i don't have any good tv calibrator where i live), in what aspects does the lg oled wins?! I don't really care about 120 frames, but i care about the vrr thingy for when i have uneven framerate.

LG C1 and Sony A80J are both 2021 models.

They are direct competitors. They both use the same OLED panels made by LG.

LG C1 is better for PC / xbox users.
A80J is better for PS5 users.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Issue is the Switch.

LG C1 and Sony A80J are both 2021 models.

They are direct competitors. They both use the same OLED panels made by LG.

LG C1 is better for PC / xbox users.
A80J is better for PS5 users.
What about a pc\ps5 user?! :lollipop_squinting:

What do you think about the prices?!

Bo_Hazem

Banned

If gaming is your main thing C1 might be the better option.

If motion processing, color accuracy and overall processing prowess is what you need then go with Sony. To me I'll always go for Sony as I use my TV's as monitors for video/photo editing.

kyliethicc

LG has G-Sync if you care about that.

And Sony hasn't enabled VRR on the A80J (or PS5) yet.

Price wise idk. I think the A80J has a better design and OS, but I wouldn't pay much more for that over the LG.

Both are basically the best OLED TVs on the market. Can't really go wrong with either.

GymWolf

LG has G-Sync if you care about that.

And Sony hasn't enabled VRR on the A80J (or PS5) yet.

Price wise idk. I think the A80J has a better design and OS, but I wouldn't pay much more for that over the LG.

Both are basically the best OLED TVs on the market. Can't really go wrong with either.
No i was asking specifically about the occassions i finded, i wrote the prices in my previous post.

The lg has g-sync? Like nvidia original gsync? Or just the vrr that i basically like g-sync?

Didn't sony released a patch that fix all their tv problems recently?!

I really don't care about os or how good a tv looks, i use it as a pc monitor so my OS is windows :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
If gaming is your main thing C1 might be the better option.

If motion processing, color accuracy and overall processing prowess is what you need then go with Sony. To me I'll always go for Sony as I use my TV's as monitors for video/photo editing.
I use the tv to play games on ps5 and on pc as a monitor to use the pc as a media center to watch films\serial\anime\mma, and internet browsing, literally nothing else.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Nothing will make the Switch look good on a large 4K TV, sorry.

(This is not me being anti-Nintendo, I own all their consoles from the last few decades except the Wii U. And I have a Sony TV (a few years old) with great 1080p upscaling. The Switch just looks like shit on a modern TV no matter what, what with most games being sub-1080p with no AA.)

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I use the tv to play games on ps5 and on pc as a monitor to use the pc as a media center to watch films\serial\anime\mma, and internet browsing, literally nothing else.

I think the A80J might be better with 24fps stutter, not sure though. Better check comparisons. I think the C1 would suit you will in that case. Sony would be great if you use it as a low-budget production screen.

GymWolf

I think the A80J might be better with 24fps stutter, not sure though. Better check comparisons. I think the C1 would suit you will in that case. Sony would be great if you use it as a low-budget production screen.
Nani?

P.s. i also play on pc, it's not only a mediacenter obviously.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Can a PC even output a proper 24p signal? Maybe they can these days.

kyliethicc

No i was asking specifically about the occassions i finded, i wrote the prices in my previous post.

The lg has g-sync? Like nvidia original gsync? Or just the vrr that i basically like g-sync?

Didn't sony released a patch that fix all their tv problems recently?!

I really don't care about os or how good a tv looks, i use it as a pc monitor so my OS is windows :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The LG C1 OLED supports Nvidia G-Sync, AMD FreeSync, and HDMI Forum VRR.

Sony will enable HDMI Forum VRR on the A80J at a later date.
The A80J OLED will not support Nvidia G-Sync or AMD FreeSync.

The LG C1 is basically the closest a TV can come to being a PC monitor.

I know rofif rofif uses a 48" LG CX OLED as his PC gaming monitor and also for his PS5. Might wanna ask him.

LG C1

MnZm5S8.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

MnZm5S8.jpg

Well shit this close the deal.

What about the price of 1483 dollars?! Is it a great price? Or i can hope to find much better? (The site i'm visiting is already doing black friday offers).

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

When watching movies. I'd rather use native apps like Netflix on the TV as it looks way better than watching it through PC.

Yeah, that's kinda what I mean. Native TV apps or a connected BD player vs PC. The first two will give you proper 24p for movies, will a PC running Plex or Kodi or whatever?

GymWolf

When watching movies. I'd rather use native apps like Netflix on the TV as it looks way better than watching it through PC.

What has the best picture quality\resolution between netflix windows store app and netflix tv internal app?

I just use vlc to watch shit usually :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah, that's kinda what I mean. Native TV apps or a connected BD player vs PC. The first two will give you proper 24p for movies, will a PC running Plex or Kodi or whatever?

I watched Netflix through PC and image just doesn't look as clean, 4K. Even for youtube the native Youtube tv app seems to have a better image quality, subtle but it's there.

What has the best picture quality\resolution between netflix windows store app and netflix tv internal app?

I just use vlc to watch shit usually :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Just use the native app ;)

kyliethicc

What about the price of 1483 dollars?! Is it a great price? Or i can hope to find much better? (The site i'm visiting is already doing black friday offers).
Current price of the 55 inch LG C1 in the US (on sale) is $1300.

But in most parts of the US we pay sales tax on top of that price, which can be another like 5% or more so it'd cost like $1350-$1400 total.

Idk where you reside, but $1483 seems fine. Not the best price, but fair. Maybe you'll find it cheaper later, idk.

Kuranghi

Off-topic to current convo I know but has anyone been watching Foundation? Even if you aren't into sci-fi I recommend giving it a watch just to see the HDR, its fucking awesome. The depth of the image on so many shots is immense and it loves to have these super bright windows in the background like Ozark and that looks stun-mazing on my ZD9.

How is it looking on your guys 2020-2021 OLEDs?

GymWolf

Current price of the 55 inch LG C1 in the US (on sale) is $1300.

But in most parts of the US we pay sales tax on top of that price, which can be another like 5% or more so it'd cost like $1350-$1400 total.

Idk where you reside, but $1483 seems fine. Not the best price, but fair. Maybe you'll find it cheaper later, idk.
Shit, i thought it was a really good price...

GymWolf

I watched Netflix through PC and image just doesn't look as clean, 4K. Even for youtube the native Youtube tv app seems to have a better image quality, subtle but it's there.

Just use the native app ;)
I'm just not sure if the wifi speed is stable enough for netflix 4k directly in the tv (i have direct cable connession when i use the pc obviously).

kyliethicc

Shit, i thought it was a really good price...
Seems fine to me. Hard to say whats the best time to buy. Basic rule of thumb is the longer you wait, the less you pay.

They'll put all of the 2021 models on discount around April-June of next year to clear inventory once the 2022 models hit the market. And who knows, maybe the 2022 LG OLED model will be much better and worth buying. Then just wait til like November 2022 and get that one on sale. Its a never ending cycle.

Watch this.

And here's a good video about the LG's settings for PS5 gaming.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm just not sure if the wifi speed is stable enough for netflix 4k directly in the tv (i have direct cable connession when i use the pc obviously).

How fast your connection is? If you're like above 20Mbps I think 4K on netflix is more than manageable via wifi.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have a blistering fast connection via cable but the wifi is a bit slow\unstable.

Strange, but you're overestimating 4K videos on the internet. I tested my 200Mbps both wired and wireless by doing like 3x 4K youtube videos and one 8K@60fps video and all were smooth. But with Sony Bravia Core 80Mbps quality 4K you might need a stable connection, so maybe invest in a new router, doesn't need to be fancy don't listen to BS just pick something around 30-40 euros.

GymWolf

Seems fine to me. Hard to say whats the best time to buy. Basic rule of thumb is the longer you wait, the less you pay.

They'll put all of the 2021 models on discount around April-June of next year to clear inventory once the 2022 models hit the market. And who knows, maybe the 2022 LG OLED model will be much better and worth buying. Then just wait til like November 2022 and get that one on sale. Its a never ending cycle.

Watch this.

My plan was to wait for a 2022 model, but from december to april they come out games that i waited for 4-5 years like dl2, h2, elden ring and someone else and i really want to play this stuff on a new tv and i don't have the patience to postpone these games to fucking june :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

If we had like lg or sony talking about the 2022 model being 200% better than 2021 model than maybe i would wait but it's gonna be the usual small incremental upgrade like every year most probably, microled are still far away...

GymWolf

Strange, but you're overestimating 4K videos on the internet. I tested my 200Mbps both wired and wireless by doing like 3x 4K youtube videos and one 8K@60fps video and all were smooth. But with Sony Bravia Core 80Mbps quality 4K you might need a stable connection, so maybe invest in a new router, doesn't need to be fancy don't listen to BS just pick something around 30-40 euros.
Yeah i'm probably overstimating what speed you need for the netflix crappily compressed "4k"...

Kuranghi

What about the price of GBP 1,094.77 ( GBP 1,094.77 (1483 dollars) [USD])?! Is it a great price? Or i can hope to find much better? (The site i'm visiting is already doing black friday offers).

Not to make it harder for you Gymmy but since you have a panasonic maybe colour accuracy out of box will be a disappointment on a C1 vs. your panny OLED:

If you check pre calibration scores its not like its just slightly better on the A80J, its way better. I also think the general presentation of the image - like HDR tonemapping, gradient handling and upscaling - on the C1 will be marginally worse than your current panny.

You said you don't care about 4K120, but if you do need VRR you need to get the C1.

The A80J has better motion imo, but I'm not sure you'll use the motion smoothing settings that much or at all given how you are using it with a PC (Though I'd imagine you might use it for internal media apps though, like netflix, prime etc since thats a much better way to watch HDR content vs. through the PC connection).

Do you use motion smoothing with movies/TV shows now?

I'm a big Sony fan... man so I think its worth the extra money up to 300 more and its not worth losing the A80J benefits to get 4K120 + VRR from the C1, but thats because I don't play 4K120 games on console, can't play any games with that output on PC due to current specs and don't feel VRR is in a place where I would use it yet due to technical issues.

You can buy a cheap USB ethernet adaptor and get 500Mb+ download through cable on the C1 and A80J as well, so need to rely on wifi or be limited to 100Mb wired:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah i'm probably overstimating what speed you need for the netflix crappily compressed "4k"...

Actually the 4K videos can be pretty sharp on youtube, especially if uploaded as 10-bit 4:2:2 H.265 as most youtubers avoid due to crappy PC's.

Last edited:

As someone with a C1, I would say LG does a better job catering to gamers than Sony or Panasonic. VRR does cause black levels to raise a bit though. LG does offer an ability to adjust that in their game mode settings. At the end of the day, I would just go with whatever has the best price.

GymWolf

Not to make it harder for you Gymmy but since you have a panasonic maybe colour accuracy out of box will be a disappointment on a C1 vs. your panny OLED:

If you check pre calibration scores its not like its just slightly better on the A80J, its way better. I also think the general presentation of the image - like HDR tonemapping, gradient handling and upscaling - on the C1 will be marginally worse than your current panny.

You said you don't care about 4K120, but if you do need VRR you need to get the C1.

The A80J has better motion imo, but I'm not sure you'll use the motion smoothing settings that much or at all given how you are using it with a PC (Though I'd imagine you might use it for internal media apps though, like netflix, prime etc since thats a much better way to watch HDR content vs. through the PC connection).

Do you use motion smoothing with movies/TV shows now?

I'm a big Sony fan... man so I think its worth the extra money up to 300 more and its not worth losing the A80J benefits to get 4K120 + VRR from the C1, but thats because I don't play 4K120 games on console, can't play any games with that output on PC due to current specs and don't feel VRR is in a place where I would use it yet due to technical issues.

You can buy a cheap USB ethernet adaptor and get 500Mb+ download through cable on the C1 and A80J as well, so need to rely on wifi or be limited to 100Mb wired:

No i don't use any motion stuff.

C1 having nvidia g-sync is kinda of a big plus, i always loved g-sync concept but i fucking hate playing on a pc monitor...

Color accuracy is a big panasonic plus but i didn't really watched many movies and serial in the last years and color accuracy is far less important with vg\anime\sport so i think that i'm gonna survive...

I barely use netflix or prime video so it's not really a selling point for me.

Last edited:

GymWolf

As someone with a C1, I would say LG does a better job catering to gamers than Sony or Panasonic. VRR does cause black levels to raise a bit though. LG does offer an ability to adjust that in their game mode settings. At the end of the day, I would just go with whatever has the best price.
Does it have the same black problem while using g-sync?

Does it have the same black problem while using g-sync?
The raised black issue in VRR affects all OLED televisions (it does the same to LCD too). Anyway, I can't say for sure. I've turned off Freesynce Premium Pro but still have VRR/G-Sync on in general. Freesynce Premium seems to cause the raised blacks. I don't have an Nvidia GPU so can't speak on g-sync. Although it may raise black levels as well. At least LG gives you options in its game menu to adjust for that.

Kuranghi

No i don't use any motion stuff.

C1 having nvidia g-sync is kinda of a big plus, i always loved g-sync concept but i fucking hate playing on a pc monitor...

Color accuracy is a big panasonic plus but i didn't really watched many movies and serial in the last years and color accuracy is far less important with vg\anime\sport so i thini that i'm gonna survive...

I barely use netflix or prime video so it's not really a selling point for me.

I say save money and buy the C1 then.

Jadsey

Nothing will make the Switch look good on a large 4K TV, sorry.

(This is not me being anti-Nintendo, I own all their consoles from the last few decades except the Wii U. And I have a Sony TV (a few years old) with great 1080p upscaling. The Switch just looks like shit on a modern TV no matter what, what with most games being sub-1080p with no AA.)

This is was my fear. Sucks to be honest.

BotW looks really awful.

Im considering getting a 1080p monitor or something.

Kuranghi

This is was my fear. Sucks to be honest.

BotW looks really awful.

Im considering getting a 1080p monitor or something.

What are your picture setting set for the Switch HDMI input? Send us photos if too annoying to write down the values. If there is too much dynamic range enhancement on ("dynamic contrast enhancer" and "extended dynamic range") it will make quality imagery looks worse as well.

I'd turn off the all the noise reduction settings and live colour since they will cause issues when used on Switch imagery, since it has poor quality post processing anti-aliasing on top of low resolution.

Jadsey

What are your picture setting set for the Switch HDMI input? Send us photos if too annoying to write down the values. If there is too much dynamic range enhancement on ("dynamic contrast enhancer" and "extended dynamic range") it will make quality imagery looks worse as well.

I'd turn off the all the noise reduction settings and live colour since they will cause issues when used on Switch imagery, since it has poor quality post processing anti-aliasing on top of low resolution.
Thanks for the tips.

I’ll post my values later when I’m in front of my TV….I need help!!

I know rofif rofif uses a 48" LG CX OLED as his PC gaming monitor and also for his PS5. Might wanna ask him.

LG C1

MnZm5S8.jpg

VRR 20hz-120hz at 4K? Wow I am really impressed. It means it can take care of <50ms frame-time drops. Nice.

Top Bottom