• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s attempt to ‘improve’ its 50Hz PS1 games on PS Plus is creating a ghosting effect (VGC)

Bojji

But why? If this is an asian NTSC region then why would they choose PAL versions with french, spanish etc? Makes no sense. There has to be something else behind this. Lots of PAL countries use english just fine too so choosing the PAL versions for all PAL countries to include other languages makes no sense either.

This is a PAL (yellow) and NTSC (green) map btw

JCszuk6.jpg

Majority of Asia is PAL based on this...

Fredrik

Majority of Asia is PAL based on this...
PAL was used in majority of countries in the world. Nevertheless the service has launched in asian NTSC countries where there is no logical reason to choose PAL; worse framerates, wrong speed and proportions, and the languages you can choose between besides english are usually, french, spanish, german and italian. To me it just doesn’t add up.

Bojji

PAL was used in majority of countries in the world. Nevertheless the service has launched in asian NTSC countries where there is no logical reason to choose PAL; worse framerates, wrong speed and proportions, and the languages you can choose between besides english are usually, french, spanish, german and italian. To me it just doesn’t add up.

Yeah it's just Sony being Sony. What does Italian or Spanish language mean for people in east Asia?

I'm European so no. But that's what I heard. It depends on the publisher I think
I believe you're thinking of trophy support. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to buy all the classic games individually. Even if it is up to the publishers, I can't think of a reason why any wouldn't want you to be able to buy their game.

Fredrik

Yeah it's just Sony being Sony. What does Italian or Spanish language mean for people in east Asia?
Tbh it’s almost like they made a mistake, didn’t realize it was a NTSC country.
Makes me worried for Europe though where they can claim PAL versions are needed for language support. Question is, how big percentage of those interested in old PS1 games don’t know english in 2022? What’s it like in Germany, Spain, Italy, France? Let’s say the average PS1 fan is 30+ years old. Would english language make people struggle to understand the games?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't understand, why can't Sony just allow people a choice in downloading between NTSC and PAL for classics?
Had they done so, I'd imagine they would've avoided this whole fiasco. It's a license or cost related issue?
I had the same suggestion days ago.

The key answers on GAF and the purple board is streamlining it fir simplicity and the PAL versions have more languages. So for sake of language > performance, go with the PAL version.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I had the same suggestion days ago.

The key answers on GAF and the purple board is streamlining it fir simplicity and the PAL versions have more languages. So for sake of language > performance, go with the PAL version.
Yea I can see how that would seem more practical for them, but I still think allowing a choice between which version we'd prefer to download would be the ideal solution, especially considering we're already paying for the privilege.
Now they have to make up for it and are just disappointing customers with these compromises.
Not exactly a good look for the service resulting in titles running better on nearly 30-year-old hardware.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yea I can see how that would seem more practical for them, but I still think allowing a choice between which version we'd prefer to download would be the ideal solution, especially considering we're already paying for the privilege.
Now they have to make up for it and are just disappointing customers with these compromises.
Not exactly a good look for the service resulting in titles running better on nearly 30-year-old hardware.
The worst part is it costs money to play them (high tiered service). If the legacy game access was a free throw-in feature, then it can be argued just be happy since it's free.

But charging money for it in the premium tier where these classic games are the big draw (it sure isn't PC play or game trials), you'd think it'd be a polished feature.

And worst of all they didn't even tell people about it. It's taken gamers and websites to play it and post video analysis of inferior PAL versions posted.

One thing I dont know is true or not, but on the purple board one guy said most of the games with the PAL version wouldn't make a difference for language anyway because those games had equal language selection. So in those cases, Sony might as well do the NTSC version, but still chose PAL.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
On the purple board, a few people are saying some of the PAL versions are English only anyway. So the concept of language support > NTSC performance is a useless point.

assurdum

Banned
Well everyone knows you can’t improve the framerate through interpolation (except one legendary GAF technical expert).

What I don’t get is do they also speed up the game? Or does it still run at 50Hz speed.
I never claimed to be a technical expert in my whole post history there lol anyway I always admitted to be totally ignorant about tv/monitor tech.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Come on Sony - how bout u just replace the PAL ISO's with NTSC ISO's... How long would it take? 5 minutes, tops...

Angry Gi Joe GIF

DrCheese

It's pretty bad when even Nintendo do this better, by allowing users to pick if they want the NTSC or PAL versions. This gives the user either the extra languages or the better game.

It's such a simple fix, it blows my mind how Sony can screw this up.

sachos

PS1 games with the right emulator settings (namely Perspective corrected textures) look pretty damn good on modern displays in high resolutions.

This youtuber has some amazing emulation videos. This is how GT4 looks in 4K using PCSX2

And this is what Ape Escape and Toy Story 2 looks in 4K Perspective corrected no dithering on DuckStation, the difference in quality is insane. I dont know what Sony is doing.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This youtuber has some amazing emulation videos. This is how GT4 looks in 4K using PCSX2

And this is what Ape Escape and Toy Story 2 looks in 4K Perspective corrected no dithering on DuckStation, the difference in quality is insane. I dont know what Sony is doing.

Dragon Quest 8 emulated to higher resolution can very easily pass for a JRPG released on a modern console today.

A lot of these games had incredible art and assets that hold up remarkably well in higher resolutions.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dragon Quest 8 emulated to higher resolution can very easily pass for a JRPG released on a modern console today.

A lot of these games had incredible art and assets that hold up remarkably well in higher resolutions.
Ya.

I remember when XBox was promoting BC games with higher res and boosts, the games could look so much better. Not just textures, but shit like AF or whatever other techno-babble where it seems the game originally had much better potential. It was there there whole time. But when released on canned consoles, the games are gimped by the system capping things.

Last edited:

Drew1440

I don't understand, why can't Sony just allow people a choice in downloading between NTSC and PAL for classics?
Had they done so, I'd imagine they would've avoided this whole fiasco. It's a license or cost related issue?
Some regions had different publishers of which some might be defunct or have been acquired by Microsoft.

consoul

It's staggering really.
After the PlayStation Classic, and the shit everyone gave them about it, they go and make the same bad decisions again. How did they not have this all worked out before launch? They learned nothing. They chose not to take on the feedback.

It's not hard to do this properly.

Even Nintendo know that the answer is to give your paying customers access to multiple region versions.

The new tiers of the PSPlus subscription service deserve to fail. Don't support this.

How quickly people have forgotten the Switch online input lag
We are still clueless (or are we?) about imput lags on PS5 VS PS1... I'm not shure it'll be in favor of the PS5 (PS4 pro seems to have less of them compared to Slim and PS5). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
What I don't get is why would anyone play a PSX game on a modern TV instead of on a CRT. They must look horrendous.
Sorry mate, this argument has gotten really tiring. It’s like those people who go “why do you use your Switch on a 4K TV???” I mean, having more than one flat screen where your gaming machines are is a luxury for most people already. I sure don’t have the room for a smaller 720p TV to play games that aren’t even that old, but do look pretty bad on my 4K OLED.

The point is, emulators and upscalers exist that make old games look good on modern screens. By all accounts, Sony’s official implementation seems to not be up to par. This doesn’t mean it‘s the user’s fault and anyone interested in the games should seek old hardware to play them. People have ridiculed Nintendo for offering 50Hz games, subpar emulation and poor video options for their virtual console services. If Sony fucks up after all that, they deserve the same.

Im surprised they attempted a fix so fast. Just give language options, if they pick english give them the america version. If they pick a different language give them the crap version.

sachos

Cel-shaded art is immortal. Megaman Legends in 4K Perspective correct no dithering using DuckStation. Dude went a little overboard with the texture filtering but it kinda goes well with the game art style.

Last edited:

Xmengrey

For the PS1-PS3 they should just work like PS4 games do but native emulation
Develop a good emulator look at ePSXe for the standard if you want, hell commission them to develop the emulator for PS5, if you have the disc you can play whatever you want, the PS5 can handle the PS3, it can handle the PS2 and PS1 with utter ease.
For PSN Plus have it work similarly to how it does now except with a better emulator.

Top Bottom