• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s first 48-inch OLED is extraordinarily good Tested at £1799! But...

longdi

Banned
Pretty sad but the Sony TV department in general is just not at the cutting edge of these things. Even companies like Phillips (aka TP Vision for the TV part of it) have better selling points for their TVs but most of them have at least something going for them. But for gaming, LG is still the only game in town for the most part, not even Samsung can touch them right now. You'd think this'd be a shoe in for Sony, but here we are.

HTK

Banned
You snooze you lose Sony, quite pathetic actually not having the right features in their TVs for their upcoming console.

Maybe you'll learn when LG and others capitalize which LG already has...

Live and learn I guess....this really is simple.

Thats well overpriced. I got a 55 inch LG one earlier this year for just over £1000

Sony is Sony and LG is LG.

And this is their top of the line series

Yes, it is expensive but Sony brand adds "something" to it.

None of my Sony TVs have broken even after 5-10 years of 5-16h/day usage, meanwhile everybody I know have had broken samsungs and LGs in few years after purchase

I would get more expensive Sony over less expensive other brand one, even if features are the same.

And these gaming features are nice but not essential. Like pre-hdmi 2.1 TVs would have been bad for gaming?

VRR + other stuff are nice but overal quality + picture quality is more important in my opinion.

And corona fucked up & delayed their A9 series so next models have more features that they had to skip this year

"It’s undeniably expensive, but the Sony KD-48A9 is simply the best sub-55-inch TV you can buy"

Last edited:

Soodanim

Sony’s TV and PlayStation departments must not like each other.

My Sony TVs have never let me down, but if I were in the market right now I would not be attracted to a TV that didn’t have features that are becoming commonplace among every other TV out there, especially VRR. That alone has to turn plenty of people away.

llien

I thought one of the points of 48" was that they are cheaper.

PS
Panel is anyhow manufactured by LG to my knowledge.

Last edited:

Garnox

£1799 for 48" is pure banter. Will stick with my £1199 55" C9 tyvm.

Doing some research, looks like the C9 is the 2019 model. I keep seeing CX, is that the 2020 version of C9, meaning just as good, or is the CX the cheaper model with less quality as the C9?

Before I dive deep to compare, thought I'd converse with y'all as its a message board 😘

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Doing some research, looks like the C9 is the 2019 model. I keep seeing CX, is that the 2020 version of C9, meaning just as good, or is the CX the cheaper model with less quality as the C9?

Before I dive deep to compare, thought I'd converse with y'all as its a message board 😘
The CX (X meaning 10) is just the 2020 version of the C9. A lesser version would be a B series model (i.e. B9, which is last years, or BX, which is this years). Only real differences between C9 and CX are the upgraded processor on the CX which gives slightly better image quality/processing, the difference in the HDMI 2.1 ports (C9 is actually better in this regard but the practical differences are as of yet unknown until the new consoles drop), significantly better GSYNC support for the CX, filmmaker mode for CX which is absent on C9, at present the CX in the UK doesn't have as many TV on demand channels than C9 (it's missing 4OD, iPlayer, ITV player for example), and of course CX will be supported longer than C9 due to it being the current model that LG are focusing their energy on. You can't go wrong with either but it's gonna be tough to find a C9 rn.

Last edited:

notseqi

I am no TV person. What justifies that pricetag for a small-ish size?

I think the CX is the newer version, X=10.

Funny how Sony & LG were the pioneers in OLED tech. When other companies were happy with LED. But sony ended up dropping the investment close to the finish line. Now they are buying LG panels for their TVs.

They are not dropping the ball on MicroLED it seems though.

Vawn

Banned
Well considering how heavy into gaming they are you think it may be a consideration for them to make a TV that their own devices can take full advantage of

They have. They also make products that don't revolve around video games too though.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I am no TV person. What justifies that pricetag for a small-ish size?
1) It’s Sony. The brand commands a premium price on TVs, just like it’s always been since the CRT days. They are good TVs, just probably not that better than their direct competitors to be worth the significant difference in price. If you want a Sony TV it’s best to wait for next year when it’s about to get replaced and can be had at sale prices.

2) OLED is niche relative to LED, and sub-55” OLEDs are very few (basically it’s just this Sony and LG’s 48” CX at this size) which makes them even more niche, considering that most people who go OLED go for the biggest panels available. So Sony must consider this a product for very specific users and think they can put whatever price they want on it.

It’s probably a stellar TV for movies, but it was known long before release that it wouldn’t have the latest features for gaming. Also Sony don’t seem to think OLEDs are the best TVs for gaming, possibly related to potential burn-in issues they don’t want to deal with. But who knows, maybe they’ll change their tune next year with the PS5 out in the wild and LG dominating the OLED segment among gamers.

DarkBatman

This it so stupid. They make consoles and tvs, why not make and market one tv as the ultimate PS5 tv?

You know they are doing that with two of their flagship OLED tv being promoted with a "Ready for PS5" tagline, right? And while those features will have to be added via Firmware update, they actually do what you criticised them of not doing...

But hey, it's easier to post a "everyone's so stupid" comment than actually use Google to check whether they really are that stupid, right?

turtlepowa

Banned
You know they are doing that with two of their flagship OLED tv being promoted with a "Ready for PS5" tagline, right? And while those features will have to be added via Firmware update, they actually do what you criticised them of not doing...

But hey, it's easier to post a "everyone's so stupid" comment than actually use Google to check whether they really are that stupid, right?
The fact that you have to google this says it all. Should be marketed agressively together with PS5 and maybe they should add 12 Months Plus/Now if you buy the Tvs. Saw at least 20 people on different forum asking for the best tv for a PS5. Missed opportunities. And by the way the Sony Tvs are actually not that ready:

Last edited:

DarkBatman

The fact that you have to google this says it all. Should be marketed agressively together with PS5 and maybe they should add 12 Months Plus/Now if you buy the Tvs. Saw at least 20 people on different forum asking for the best tv for a PS5. Missed opportunities. And by the way the Sony Tvs are actually not that ready:

Why did you have to move your goal post though?
That wasn't your initial criticism, now you just grasp at other negative point to somewhat proof a point.

I saw several people who were aware of Sony's marketing strategy for the TV, even consider buying it because they want a PS5 as well. This is always a weak argument.

And even if the TVs aren't ready yet: They will be. But that also wasn't the point of your initial criticism.

turtlepowa

Banned
Why did you have to move your goal post though?
That wasn't your initial criticism, now you just grasp at other negative point to somewhat proof a point.

I saw several people who were aware of Sony's marketing strategy for the TV, even consider buying it because they want a PS5 as well. This is always a weak argument.

And even if the TVs aren't ready yet: They will be. But that also wasn't the point of your initial criticism.
Learn to read dude, not wasting anymore time with you--->Ignore

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Pleasant reminder that you don’t need a SONY TV to play a SONY PlayStation..

Last edited:
Top Bottom