• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony 2022 OLED TV Lineup possibly leaked

truth411

With the new mediatek chip being available for 2022 tvs, its highly likely Sony tvs will have 4 hdmi 2.1 ports now.

Excess

Yes Sony doesn't give a fuck about PC/Xbox/Nintendo gamers. They literally don't care.
No company survives without caring for its customers. The problem is that they don't target the gaming market at all, including PlayStation. Sony TV's cater to film enthusiasts; that's the target market. So I think it's incorrect of you to imply that Sony cares about PlayStation, as opposed to PC/Xbox/Ninendo, especially when PS5 does support HGiG and will eventually implement VRR.

"Note that “HGIG” is a registered trademark or trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc."

A trademark is far from having any control, especially when there's no standards, licensing or patents. It's more akin to Sony buying paper plates for a BBQ with friends.

kyliethicc

No company survives without caring for its customers. The problem is that they don't target the gaming market at all, including PlayStation. Sony TV's cater to film enthusiasts; that's the target market. So I think it's incorrect of you to imply that Sony cares about PlayStation, as opposed to PC/Xbox/Ninendo, especially when PS5 does support HGiG and will eventually implement VRR.

A trademark is far from having any control, especially when there's no standards, licensing or patents. It's more akin to Sony buying paper plates for a BBQ with friends.

Sony & Microsoft literally created the HDR Gaming Interest Group. They are the "Organizers."

They control it, and write the documentation. And Sony owns the trademark.

And they explicitly state on their website that TVs do NOT need a "HGIG mode".

"HDR Gaming Interest Group (HGIG) original advocate and organizers (Microsoft and Sony, collectively, "Organizers") have identified that "HGIG mode" is not a product function defined in the HGIG guidelines. Please refrain from using the HGIG name for promotion in association with such non-HGIG guidelines defined technologies."

FSnMsR8.jpg

Reactions: Rea

Excess

Sony & Microsoft literally created the HDR Gaming Interest Group. They are the "Organizers."

They control it, and write the documentation. And Sony owns the trademark.

And they explicitly state on their website that TVs do NOT need a "HGIG mode".

"HDR Gaming Interest Group (HGIG) original advocate and organizers (Microsoft and Sony, collectively, "Organizers") have identified that "HGIG mode" is not a product function defined in the HGIG guidelines. Please refrain from using the HGIG name for promotion in association with such non-HGIG guidelines defined technologies."

FSnMsR8.jpg
What are we even arguing about? You started it off by saying Sony controlled it. Clearly they don't.

Secondly, I think you're misunderstanding what that means. HGiG simply means the television can read the adjustments of peak brightness based on games that support it. This is dictated by the consoles, but the TV still has to recognize it.

No its Quantum Nano Emitting Diode. Samsung is working on it, it will be out in a few years.

LGs tvs are not QNED at all, there using the term "Qned" as a marketing term for their Mini LCDs.

So OLEDS have the best blacks (umbra)
MicroLEDS have the best brightness (luminence)
Quantum dot technology has the best color (chroma)

QNED has the best color, blacks, and brightness? The real battle will be between samsungs own line up: QNED vs QD-OLED vs MicroLED

truth411

So OLEDS have the best blacks (umbra)
MicroLEDS have the best brightness (luminence)
Quantum dot technology has the best color (chroma)

QNED has the best color, blacks, and brightness? The real battle will be between samsungs own line up: QNED vs QD-OLED vs MicroLED
MicroLED is too expensive to get too normal screen sizes. It will be QNED vs QD-OLED.

dotnotbot

What are we even arguing about? You started it off by saying Sony controlled it. Clearly they don't.

Secondly, I think you're misunderstanding what that means. HGiG simply means the television can read the adjustments of peak brightness based on games that support it. This is dictated by the consoles, but the TV still has to recognize it.

The only manufacturer offering dedicated HGiG mode on TVs is LG (AFAIK) and this mode doesn't read anything from the source. It's just basically turning off tone-mapping, follows the EOTF curve until it reaches TV's peak brightness and then hard clips anything above.
So new Sony TVs also have an option to turn off tone-mapping with a hard clip, it would be equal in effect to LG's HGiG mode but the difference is that Sony undertracks EOTF curve meaning everything is darker than it should. All they need to do is correct that with fw update.

Its gotta be OLED then. I prefer Sony due to image quality advantages it has and how it handles motion for Film/TV watching (Not games) but it doesn't have VRR yet and will be added at a later date (Max March 2022 I would say) and the LG C1 has that now. So get the LG C1 if you need VRR right now.

Also some of the differences in image quality might not be noticeable for you, so if you buy a C1 don't think I'm saying its got a bad image or anything, it will still be the best looking TV you've ever had most likely and will blow you away.

Maybe convince the wife to sell one of the children and get the 83"!

Just make sure you send us some photos of your basement setup if you can.
Hahaha noted, I don't need two children anyway. :messenger_winking_tongue: Will def share a pic of the setup once complete. Thanks again for your help!

Excess

The only manufacturer offering dedicated HGiG mode on TVs is LG (AFAIK) and this mode doesn't read anything from the source. It's just basically turning off tone-mapping, follows the EOTF curve until it reaches TV's peak brightness and then hard clips anything above.
So new Sony TVs also have an option to turn off tone-mapping with a hard clip, it would be equal in effect to LG's HGiG mode but the difference is that Sony undertracks EOTF curve meaning everything is darker than it should. All they need to do is correct that with fw update.
Correct, it is not DTM. The display is reading the tolerances for peak brightness from the console. When we say a game "supports" HGiG, we're really just saying the game uses the console to determine calibration, which by extension uses the television (what you visualize as clipping or black crush) to determine. It's just been a terrible occurrence of nomenclature. The HDR world is still without standards, other than DV and HLG.

My question for Sony televisions would be in relation to how the console communicates this to the display. It may have a non-tone mapping/anti-hard clip option, but is this just a guessing game? I'm assuming this is the case, which is why I now see them getting ready to implement some kind of official HGiG solution.

But again, it just continues to baffle me why Sony is a laggard in this space.

Last edited:

YCoCg

PC market needs TVs? :messenger_dizzy: :messenger_dizzy:
No, pc market needs smaller oled screens in mass production to heavily bring down the price and make monitors affordable for the average consumer.

Quickest way for that to happen is if smaller sized oled screens were also being made for the TV market so factories can repurpose screen cuts en mass. It's currently CHEAPER to cut up to a 7 inch screen (mobile market) and a 55 inch plus sized screen than it is to cut a 24 - 32 inch screen.

Lognor

Banned
Hmm...I just ordered the LG C1 (again). Maybe I should hold off until after this announcement. If anything, maybe the A80J will come down in price, which I would consider picking up if they ever decide to add VRR (big if, I know). And I would guess the LG announcement is not too far off either. Hmm...

Top Bottom