• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony acquires 14.1% of From and Tencent also got 16.3%

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
"Tencent 16.25%"

Sony fanboys should be more worried of Tencent then Microsoft.

BTW, didn't the Japanese government kind of frown upon foreign companies acquiring Japanese companies?
Yeah they wont be acquired outright.
Tencent will never own a controlling share of the company but they can still buy in heavily into the company basically right up to 49.9% (as long as the remaining 50.1 is Japanese)
At that point they could do a Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi deal where Tencent basically "joins up" with From to work together, probably why the company that bought into From Software is Sixjoy.
Its just some business trickery to get around red tape.
Can't believe From is only worth a billion dollars. I guess it's because they barely own any IP.
I like how a billion dollars is seen as "only".
The last few major acquisitions have really made people lose touch of the value of money i guess.

Dolodolo

This is an SIE investment. Not Sony itself. Therefore, it should be obvious to everyone that they are making a new affiliate game.
Hardly Bloodborne 2, but something else.
Hulst has several times listed From Software and Kojima as close partners.
According to the second, it is already obvious that Death Stranding 2 is being made.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
From what I see, both buyers seem desperate.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

SeraphJan

Every thing Tencent touches, ruined, most Chinese gamers see it this way, you would assume Chinese gamer likes Tencent, which is totally untrue.

Last edited:

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
Interesting, so an other round of investements/acquisitions has happened or is happening at Sony.
Square Enix stated they're looking to sell stakes in their studios as well...and this is precisely that formula 👀
This is probably exactly what will happen with SE.

magnumpy

Fuck these Chinese companies buying up *any* of these devs.

consolidation is the most recent name of the game. while I agree that it is troubling, would you rather they be bought by an american company than a chinese one? I would only mention that china represents ~1.4 billion people while america represents ~0.3 billion people. and representation by the majority is a typically american ideal...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Are there more games than Starfield not hitting PS5?
The Elder Scrolls VI, Redfall, and Starfield are a starter right, but I guess you are betting MS will not play the old “an, sorry when we said they will be everywhere we meant everywhere there is GamePass… ooopsie”.

Look, I am not the FCC, you do not have to pretend what your wishes are ;) heh.

Wohc

Banned
Yes. All new Microsoft games, that are not named Call of Duty or Minecraft.
The Elder Scrolls VI, Redfall, and Starfield are a starter right, but I guess you are betting MS will not play the old “an, sorry when we said they will be everywhere we meant everywhere there is GamePass… ooopsie”.

Look, I am not the FCC, you do not have to pretend what your wishes are ;) heh.
Right, forgot about Elder Scrolls. Redfall, well i guess no one cares :messenger_beaming:
But the Activison stuff should all hit PS as far as i know.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Right, forgot about Elder Scrolls. Redfall, well i guess no one cares :messenger_beaming:
But the Activison stuff should all hit PS as far as i know.
Do not forget about DOOM… and Quake… it would be something if the games that were ported to anything did not come out day one on all consoles, but hey-ho…

Fools idol

Banned
I don't think it's long before From gets torn to pieces. It always happens eventually. The question is, will Miyazaki break off and form his own studio?

Wohc

Banned
Do not forget about DOOM… and Quake… it would be something if the games that were ported to anything did not come out day one on all consoles, but hey-ho…
I don't think they would do that with such big ips. Actually i thought they would only do it with new ips which would make sense with Starfield and Redfall. But Elder Scrolls doesn't make sense then. Is that 100% confirmed?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's how business works, it's a sign of good faith to sell shares to strategic partners so that they also have some skin in the game with wins and losses. This is what this is.
Sure, but it is also a cheap way to prevent MS acquisitions me-thinks. Not sure it is a smart move for the next 15-20 years, but as long as Tencent does not align with GamePass or launches their competing consoles is a bit dirty but potentially working strategy.

The irony is that MS is really the one kickstarting the nuclear race acceleration on acquisitions while saying they were doing it to help the industry… well…

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
It really depends on the company. There's a three-tier system where companies are ranked regarding their importance to national security. Sony, for example, is in the third tier, which means it's basically impossible for a foreign investor to buy them. Kadokawa is in the second tier.
Yep. And even then, Kadokawa is on the lower end of that tier based on market value.

I don't think they would do that with such big ips. Actually i thought they would only do it with new ips which would make sense with Starfield and Redfall. But Elder Scrolls doesn't make sense then. Is that 100% confirmed?
Nothing has been actually confirmed regarding Elder Scrolls or Fallout that I'm aware of. It's been assumed.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
In true Spencer-speak yeah, it has been unless at the “last minute” cooler heads prevail.

Last edited:

Wohc

Banned
[/URL]
In true Spencer-speak yeah, it has been unless at the “last minute” cooler heads prevail.
"apparently" and "Frustratingly, his exact quote isn’t recorded. It’s just stated that ‘Spencer says he sees the same for The Elder Scrolls 6’, when referring to Starfield exclusivity." sounds a bit vague. But it's a long time till this game releases anyways and many things can happen. I bet i comes to PS, it's just such a big ip.

Pedro Motta

Sure, but it is also a cheap way to prevent MS acquisitions me-thinks. Not sure it is a smart move for the next 15-20 years, but as long as Tencent does not align with GamePass or launches their competing consoles is a bit dirty but potentially working strategy.

The irony is that MS is really the one kickstarting the nuclear race acceleration on acquisitions while saying they were doing it to help the industry… well…
Nah, this has nothing to do with MS, they can't stop anything with a stake like this. This is to ensure that the partners are serious about their business together and are dedicated, because if they do a bad job everyone loses.

PS: I own 2 companies, I'm pretty sure of how this works.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
At least Sony can't acquire the company, preventing other platforms from playing FromSoftware games.
LMAO people have no shame. At least try to hide your bias. Or maybe you just like the taste of uncle Phil’s ballsack. You tell me…. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Anyways back to OP. Not sure what the aim here is from Sony. Prob trying to strengthen the bond with FROM for future IP’s. Whatever it is future FROM games needs that PC release that’s all i care about.

Last edited:

Rac3r

"apparently" and "Frustratingly, his exact quote isn’t recorded. It’s just stated that ‘Spencer says he sees the same for The Elder Scrolls 6’, when referring to Starfield exclusivity." sounds a bit vague. But it's a long time till this game releases anyways and many things can happen. I bet i comes to PS, it's just such a big ip.

No future Bethesda games are coming to PS. The whole point of that acquisition was to get people to associate major IPs (which they failed to cultivate during the Xbox One generation) with Xbox and Gamepass.

Wohc

Banned
No future Bethesda games are coming to PS. The whole point of that acquisition was to get people to associate major IPs (which they failed to cultivate during the Xbox One generation) with Xbox and Gamepass.
I doubt that, guess we have to wait.

Shu will probably have to commit sudoku to finalize the deal, finally making amends for the dishonor of passing up publishing Demon's Souls. PS fans may gain exclusive console access to FROM games .... but at what price!?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
That's some petty catfighting.

Let Kadokawa own it and leave them in peace.
Huh? They wanted some capital to expand and Sony and Tencent provided it.
After the success of Elden Ring, you just knew there'd be greedy vultures circling. I hate this acquisition era of gaming.
You must be seeing the world through some fanboy glasses or something. This is typical business activity. 2 companies invested in a developer that can help their platform and the successful developer can use that to expand so it can create more content in hopes of replicating their recent success.

Vultures eat carrion and the circling imagery is meant to imply that the object being circled is struggling and about to die. The metaphor you are misusing only works if From was struggling not after it has had the biggest success it has ever experienced.

tommib

So Sony will make a Demos Souls or Elden Ring movie. That's okay I guess..
A Demon’s Souls movie could be great if they hire a horror director. Maybe Robert Eggers. I’m just not sure good directors want to taint their careers with videogame adaptations.

Last edited:

MikeM

Top Bottom