• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony airlifting PS5 systems to meet Christmas demand in the UK

Exactly. I'm glad when I got my Consoles when I did. Don't need to hunt for one especially.
Sometimes I look at my PS5 and realize how lucky I was when I managed to buy it by preordering it before it came out.

Seriously I have yet to see another one in front of me and it's been a year already. It's insane.

Thank god preordering isn't a huge deal in my country too lmao.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
air drop?
Read-NetAirDrop-7-2012.jpg

Hezekiah

Banned
But a ton of gamers only buy console for one or two games. It is the FIFA, Madden, Call of Duty, Fortnite crowd AV AV is talking about. They were the primary drivers for PS4 to sell over 100 million. I'm not discounting the exclusives which are definitely a boon to the library, but casuals don't necessarily buy consoles for the same games you and I do.
Yeah it's just because he said 'the vast majority of people buying Playstations', and right now those gamers are buying lots of games.

As time goes you'll see more casuals who only play FIFA and COD get PS5s but I think they're generally happier to wait.

saintjules

Sometimes I look at my PS5 and realize how lucky I was when I managed to buy it by preordering it when it before it came out.

Seriously I have yet to see another one in front of me and it's been a year already. It's insane.

Thank god preordering isn't a huge deal in my country too lmao.

Same. For me it was the night Walmart went live after the Sony showcase. My credit card charge was coming up as a fraud, so I was trying to get that fixed asap. Got it probably towards the end of it being sold out. Did similar for the Series X.

Hezekiah

Banned
The 6.5m figure is across PS4 and PS5. You didn't have to buy a PS5 to play MM, it's not a PS5 exclusive. Nor, by the way, is Horizon, GOW2, or GT7 next year.

Look no further than the total sales of games like God of War compared to the total number of PS4s in the wild. They're popular, but the majority of console owners aren't buying the systems because they have access to full exclusives.

Contrast this to the Switch and, say, Animal Crossing, where so many people bought the hardware for the exclusive software. Still not a majority but the attach rates for games like AC and Mario Kart are insane, because why else would you buy a Switch? Hell, I'm pretty sure the literal majority of Wii U owners bought MK8. And there was a point at the Switch launch where Switch copies of BOTW outsold the devices themselves, which is kinda great.
The vast majority of Miles Morales sales have been on PS5 though. There was a story on here a while back about the split, and the attach rate on PS5 is really high.

I bet the GT7 and Horizon launches will be the same - the vast majority of purchases will be by PS5 owners.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Definitely does and obviously it stops people from going to get the series s (x is going to be sold out anyways)
It may stop a parent, but it does not keep people from buying both. I do admit most people choose one and stick with it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The vast majority of Miles Morales sales have been on PS5 though. There was a story on here a while back about the split, and the attach rate on PS5 is really high.

I bet the GT7 and Horizon launches will be the same - the vast majority of purchases will be by PS5 owners.

For one, I don't think you have access to the data for the bolded - but yes, it was probably majority PS5, and there's still been 13.4m PS5 sales total, so even in a scenario where they literally can't make the hardware fast enough to outstrip demand, it's still not the vast majority of people buying the system.

I get that you're saying they're popular. They are. But you argued against the vast majority of Playstation owners not owning them for the full exclusives, it's just demonstrably wrong if you look at far more reliable data like the sales of PS4 exclusives to total PS4s. It's just not what most people buy Playstations and Xboxes for, they're not Nintendo.

Topher

Gold Member
The ps4 runs like trash compared. Especially with slow UI. Why wouldn't I get a ps5 day 1 to enjoy the upgrade instead of buying it 3 years later for the same price.

you are right on about the UI. I fired up my PS4 Pro the other day and a bit shocked how slow the UI feels now compared to PS5.

ReBurn

Gold Member
"Airlifting" sounds so dramatic. Freight travels by air all the time. Journalists are so funny sometimes.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Might be something they do each year, obviously much more costly for them but it must make sense on the bottom line. Obvious question is why not do this year round as well if this is the bottleneck because the demand is there.
Sounds more like increase allocation for the Quarter (whether by taking it from somewhere else - unlikely given nowhere has stock, or actual increase in production late in the year that wasn't possible before).
I don't see they'd need that in normal years, if they're meeting demand, they can keep production shipments just high enough to accumulate units for busier quarters.

BlackTron

were you expecting them to...drive across the ocean?

Air is really expensive. Most goods and transported by boat.

I'm not sure about the rest of the world but the cargo ships have been seriously backed up around the U.S. unable to unload cargo or move on to their next task. I haven't looked deeply into it but this is likely causing repercussions and delays around the world for cargo ships.

This is why some big box retailers like Target are chartering their own ships, everything is a clusterfuck right now.

Hezekiah

Banned
For one, I don't think you have access to the data for the bolded - but yes, it was probably majority PS5, and there's still been 13.4m PS5 sales total, so even in a scenario where they literally can't make the hardware fast enough to outstrip demand, it's still not the vast majority of people buying the system.

I get that you're saying they're popular. They are. But you argued against the vast majority of Playstation owners not owning them for the full exclusives, it's just demonstrably wrong if you look at far more reliable data like the sales of PS4 exclusives to total PS4s. It's just not what most people buy Playstations and Xboxes for, they're not Nintendo.
Well I think the wording was don't give a shit about them - in the case of Miles Morales the 6.5m figure was over three months ago and the numbers will be even higher now - I would say it's at over 50% attach rate on PS5.

In terms of PS4's big exclusives, many are single-player games and I imagine are lent to friends which skews things somewhat.

Incidentally, you mention CoD and FIFA for example, and if you look at those games technically the majority of gamers aren't buying those either. I remember seeing something about FIFA 19 selling ~12m copies across platforms. It's more about the volume of third-party games Vs first-party games, with there being far more of the former. The Switch on the other hand doesn't have the same level of third-party of support as Playsation and Xbox.

nowhat

Why would i want to play cross-gen games on the worst possible hardware?
There's also multiplatform games (which is what most consoles have tbh) and all of those cross-gen games also play better on the PS5.

Plus...the PS4 is a slog to use with that HDD. After you have a PS5 or Series X, going back to last gen is painful.
All these points are valid, but I'd like to add one: even if I'd play only PS4 versions of the games (which seems to be increasingly rare these days, at the very least there's BC+), I don't have to do so while my console sounds like a jet engine (yes, looking at you launch Pro).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well I think the wording was don't give a shit about them - in the case of Miles Morales the 6.5m figure was over three months ago and the numbers will be even higher now - I would say it's at over 50% attach rate on PS5.

In terms of PS4's big exclusives, many are single-player games and I imagine are lent to friends which skews things somewhat.

Incidentally, you mention CoD and FIFA for example, and if you look at those games technically the majority of gamers aren't buying those either. I remember seeing something about FIFA 19 selling ~12m copies across platforms. It's more about the volume of third-party games Vs first-party games, with there being far more of the former. The Switch on the other hand doesn't have the same level of third-party of support as Playsation and Xbox.

I'd say it's very unlikely to be over 50% and even then, we're again talking about a world where they can't produce consoles fast enough to keep up with the demand, so those numbers are always going to look wild, like the BotW example I mentioned earlier where it had over a 100% attach rate for a brief moment.

The difference with COD and FIFA - and I should clarify, FIFA actually means "FIFA or NHL or NBA etc" - is that they're annual. The FIFA 19 numbers (which were more like 20m not 12m) were flat specifically because FIFA 18 was still selling okay at the same time. Same thing applies to Call of Duty - the two best selling games in the US in 2020 were both Call of Duty. Modern Warfare still outsold TLOU2 that year despite already being a year old. Yes, one's a multiplat, but the fact that there's two on the board reinforces the point.

The point being that the individual annual shooter/sports games may not look like much on their own, it's when you add them up as a total market share - as long as Average Joe owns a sports games and a shooter he's happy. You could even go as far as to say a Ubisoft game as well with how well AssC does. Exclusives, especially Playstation ones, operate differently in my eyes - that same market isn't necessarily buying any old PS exclusive just because that's what it is, it's not the same market as those that bought a remake of a janky but classic PS3 action RPG or a 3rd person arcade roguelite simply for the fact that they're "the current exclusive".

Rambling but maybe you see where I'm going with this.

Neff

The PS5 games currently available aren't really much of a purchase incentive, but PS5 is totally worth it if you have a sizeable PS4 collection.

Quicker loading, better performance, no fan noise, and a sleeker, comfier controller make all the difference. Your jaw will drop when you see how much better God of War, Final Fantasy VII Remake and The Last of Us 2 look and play on PS5.

yurinka

Jimbo flexing now.

fuertes.gif

The 6.5m figure is across PS4 and PS5. You didn't have to buy a PS5 to play MM, it's not a PS5 exclusive. Nor, by the way, is Horizon, GOW2, or GT7 next year.

Look no further than the total sales of games like God of War compared to the total number of PS4s in the wild. They're popular, but the majority of console owners aren't buying the systems because they have access to full exclusives.

Contrast this to the Switch and, say, Animal Crossing, where so many people bought the hardware for the exclusive software. Still not a majority but the attach rates for games like AC and Mario Kart are insane, because why else would you buy a Switch? Hell, I'm pretty sure the literal majority of Wii U owners bought MK8. And there was a point at the Switch launch where Switch copies of BOTW outsold the devices themselves, which is kinda great.

Yes, in PS there are way more big seller games, so game sales get spread over way more games. Most of the big sellers on all platforms outside Nintendo (not only in consoles, but in mobile and PC too) are multiplatform games.

Most people simply buy the games they think will like, they don't care if exclusive or not, if total exclusive or if also available on PC or in a previous gen, if it's a timed exclusive, etc. They simply like CoD, GTA, FIFA, (or in this case Spider-Man, Horizon, GoW, GT, AC, MK, Zelda, etc) etc and they buy the next one in the device where they play now. In the particular case of PS, most of these super popular IPs are multiplatform, or many of the exclusives released until now crossgen, so they buy more multiplatform or crossgen games.

i'd understand if there were games to play. might as well just hold onto your PS4 lol. people really that desperate for demons souls and ratchet/clank? horizon, god of war, and GT will be on PS4.
PS5 has thousands of games to play. Sales of exclusives always have been a small minority of PS game sales, multiplaform games always dominated sales in Sony platforms. And well, now many exclusives are crossgen or are also available on PC, and there's BC too.

Regarding the number of full exclusives, first most people don't care if games are full exclusives, crossgen exclusives, console exclusives, timed exclusives or multiplatform. And second there are some full exclusives, but having many dozens of millions of active PS4s it's normal that they will keep making crossgen some of the first PS5 exclusives, big ass AAA games now have budgets of hundreds of millions of dollars so they need to sell the game in more places, this is why now they port some old AAA exclusive games to PC. Over time the percentage of new crossgen ones will decrease and all will end being full exclusives (with many of the AAA ones being ported some time later to PC). It's just a matter of time.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
I'd say it's very unlikely to be over 50% and even then, we're again talking about a world where they can't produce consoles fast enough to keep up with the demand, so those numbers are always going to look wild, like the BotW example I mentioned earlier where it had over a 100% attach rate for a brief moment.

The difference with COD and FIFA - and I should clarify, FIFA actually means "FIFA or NHL or NBA etc" - is that they're annual. The FIFA 19 numbers (which were more like 20m not 12m) were flat specifically because FIFA 18 was still selling okay at the same time. Same thing applies to Call of Duty - the two best selling games in the US in 2020 were both Call of Duty. Modern Warfare still outsold TLOU2 that year despite already being a year old. Yes, one's a multiplat, but the fact that there's two on the board reinforces the point.

The point being that the individual annual shooter/sports games may not look like much on their own, it's when you add them up as a total market share - as long as Average Joe owns a sports games and a shooter he's happy. You could even go as far as to say a Ubisoft game as well with how well AssC does. Exclusives, especially Playstation ones, operate differently in my eyes - that same market isn't necessarily buying any old PS exclusive just because that's what it is, it's not the same market as those that bought a remake of a janky but classic PS3 action RPG or a 3rd person arcade roguelite simply for the fact that they're "the current exclusive".

Rambling but maybe you see where I'm going with this.
Yeah I understand what you're saying, but I would say the PS5 is basically selling at the same rate as the PS4 did at this point (13.3m Vs 13.8m - though demand seems to be higher). Out of the 13m PS5s I think a good chunk own Miles Morales - as much or more than any other single game. My overall point is that the people buying next-gen consoles are the people that buy lots of games. In my experience CoD/EA sports/Fortnite only gamers won't spend £450+ (much more if a scalped console) to get a new console right away, they're much more likely to wait. No doubt plenty of people not interested in single-player exclusives exist though.

As I say Nintendo is outlier because more people do buy their consoles for Nintendo games, and because third-party support is much less. In fact I'm certain many Switch owners use it as a secondary console.

AV

Yeah I understand what you're saying, but I would say the PS5 is basically selling at the same rate as the PS4 did at this point (13.3m Vs 13.8m - though demand seems to be higher). Out of the 13m PS5s I think a good chunk own Miles Morales - as much or more than any other single game. My overall point is that the people buying next-gen consoles are the people that buy lots of games. In my experience CoD/EA sports/Fortnite only gamers won't spend £450+ (much more if a scalped console) to get a new console right away, they're much more likely to wait. No doubt plenty of people not interested in single-player exclusives exist though.

As I say Nintendo is outlier because more people do buy their consoles for Nintendo games, and because third-party support is much less. In fact I'm certain many Switch owners use it as a secondary console.

Fair enough, I disagree on the bolded personally considering basically every parent I know has been trying to get a PS5 for a year, and when they do, the kids are continuing to play the same games they were already playing on PS4; those without kids are largely the same and have no interest in things like Astro Bot or Demon's Souls or Returnal. I think if you're someone who bought a PS4 around launch you'd probably be gagging for an upgrade by now, in a world where people replace phones every 1-2 years for fractional speed upgrades - and I think as forum users who more than likely bought the mid-gen refresh or, as you say, a secondary console, our perceptions are a bit skewed.

It'll be nice to have more data two years from now when these devices are actually readily available for a change...

... maybe

Flutta

Banned
I guess the margins on them must be pretty good if they are going to ship by plane.
Nah thats not it. Sony just want to dominante the UK market as much as possible, they’re playing the long game. They’re def taking a financial hit here. But def a smart move.

Reported by THE SUN!

LOL don't believe any of this then because these guys invented click bait but for the news paper industry and they still doing it today.

SkylineRKR

PS5 is better even if it would have no game. Before PS5, I hated my Pro. Noisy, long load times, slow. It would overheat and shut down when on the matchmaking screen of MW2019 a bit too long.

For those reasons alone a PS5 is a good replacement. As a bonus PS4 games load faster and might look better.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
uh oh looks like i've struck a nerve with the sony boys.

yeah...good for sony. if you go back and read my comment you'll see i'm asking why people want a PS5. there's 2 good games worth playing and 3 of the big titles will be on PS4. there's no rush to get a PS5. you could easily wait until 2023. that's my plan.

The games that are on both are far better on PS5. Not only visuals, but the lack of load times etc. The same goes for many other games that have received PS5 upgrades. Why play the tired old PS4 versions when you could be playing the much better PS5 versions?

There's no reason not to upgrade to a PS5 unless you can't find one or can't afford it.

Last edited:

T-Cake

Nah thats not it. Sony just want to dominante the UK market as much as possible, they’re playing the long game. They’re def taking a financial hit here. But def a smart move.
In some ways it doesn't make sense though - there is no alternative product to buy. There are no Series X available. So you've got either Series S or a Switch if you can't get a PS5.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I am sure the margins were looked at, may not be the deciding factor but they were considered in a board room somewhere.

Most? What are you basing that on?
You can watch any retailer restock drop.
Besides Amazon, every major retailer in the UK is mostly selling bundles.

(same in Germany for example)

The US is different, where only Gamestop is mainly bundles, but even Target, Walmart and Best buy have big console only sales.

They take the opportunity to up sell and make more money. Why wouldn't they, if they sell.

Top Bottom