• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony and LG to Supply Initial OLEDoS Displays for Apple’s XR Mixed Reality Headset

https://www.gizmochina.com/2023/03/18/apple-xr-mixed-reality-headset-display-suppliers/
Apple is set to launch its first-generation Mixed Reality Headsets later this year, with Sony and LG being the initial suppliers of the displays used in the XR headsets. The displays used in these headsets are expected to be a technological breakthrough, with OLEDoS (OLED on Silicon) displays providing an ultra-high resolution of 3000-4000ppi. These displays will be smaller than an inch in diagonal length and will use silicon wafer-based CMOS substrates, unlike normal OLED display panels that use glass substrates.

Compared to a normal OLED display used in a smartphone, which has an average resolution of 55ppi, the display used in an AR or a VR device requires an average resolution of 3,500ppi for a more realistic AR experience. The OLEDoS displays are expected to provide a highly immersive experience for users, with an extremely high resolution that allows for detailed and realistic imagery.

Sony and LG are said to be ahead of Samsung in the development of these displays and will be the initial suppliers of the displays for Apple’s upcoming XR device. However, Samsung is also working on developing an RGB OLEDoS display and is expected to bring out a 3500ppi FMM (Fine Metal Mask) with the help of APS Holdings.

Apple had also asked both LG and Samsung in the past to develop such a high-resolution display, and with Samsung’s collaboration with APS Holdings, it is likely to meet Apple’s requests. APS Holdings has also developed an ultra-high resolution FMM sheet and mask of 4,000ppi, which is better than the 3,500ppi FMM made with Samsung’s collaboration.

The first generation of Apple’s XR headsets will feature two OLEDoS displays, and while Apple is initially relying on Sony and LG for their displays, it is likely to stop relying on Sony in the future since the brand already has its own range of gaming consoles and may become a competitor to Apple.

The use of OLEDoS displays in Apple’s upcoming Mixed Reality Headsets is expected to set a new standard in the XR devices market, providing users with a highly immersive and realistic experience.

Looks like Apple may soon be setting a new VR image trend.

Apparently these custom lens are for Apples headset will move away from the Micro Oled/Oled and Pancake trends that VR is using currently, with a much higher vibrancy and attention to detail. I'm assuming it will have a large field of view as well.

LG and Sony are helping supply the displays, though Apple may later switch to Samsung. I expect Apple to have small unnoticeable revisions for the first headset once they switch over to Samsung assuming there aren't any issues with what they are working on, or sticking with LG. Although Sony probably won't mind too much to provide lends since whatever they are working on for Apple, Sony didn't put it in their OWN headset, so while I do see the articles view here regarding competition, I don't think it's really going to be such a big deal.

If Fine Metal Mask with dynamic vibrancy panels with an average resolution of 3500ppi or higher become standard assuming Apples Headset does well, then that will cause other manufacturers to head in that direction lowering the overall costs. I believe in the other thread the Apple displays alone were said to be about $400 per eye. As consumers will likely not want to go back.

Top Bottom