• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony and Microsoft Console Qualify

oji-san

Banned
I'm very satisfied with both my PS5 and XSX, it's well worth the price i paid.
That being said.. My PS5 is noisy but i grown accustomed to it and it doesn't bother me. My biggest issue is my launch DualSense, it had a broken spring in R2 button that i replaced, but drifting on L3 is still bothering me, tho some playing around with the stick like i saw on YT vids sometimes makes it go, didn't had any drift playing God of War Ragnarok for 30 hours so far. :)
XSX is perfect hardware wise, can't hear it unless i put my hear next to the console top, and the controller is great.

jm89

I've never had drift issues with any other ps controller, my dualshock 3 and 4 got a workout when i use to play cod for hundreds of hours.

Not even 2 years my launch ps5 dualsense started drifting,.

I have to say, both Sony and Microsoft did a great job with the quality of their respective consoles this generation.
The PS5 is a big step up over the PS4 and PS4 Pro. Much quieter and heavy duty. Very little complaints over reliability other than some coil whine.
They certainly addressed the cooling concerns coming off the back of the Pro and the higher clock speed of the PS5 APU.

Microsoft on the other hand is following on from the awesome build quality of the Xbox One X, and actually outdoing it with the XSX.
The cluster fuck that was the red ring of death has been well and truly made up for.
The XSX is a beast. It's even quieter than the One X, if that was possible.

Sony is one of the leaders of consumer electronics, so you kinda expect them to know how to build a box that doesn't overheat, breakdown or sound like a 747 taking off.
Microsoft on the other hand doesn't have that level of expertise, so what they have managed to do over the last few generations is very impressive.

But all up, hats off to Sony and Microsoft for putting out the reliable and quality boxes that they did.
There was no early adopter risk this gen with either.
Yup, I have been only on PS for a while now, but until the PS5 came along I wanted Sony to at least make their consoles way quieter (like the xbone, xbone x, etc.).

Now everything makes sense.

oji-san

Banned
I've never had drift issues with any other ps controller, my dualshock 3 and 4 got a workout when i use to play cod for hundreds of hours.

Not even 2 years my launch ps5 dualsense started drifting,.

Same, to me it started about year and a half from launch. had all main PS consoles and never had a drift issue, i want to buy a new DualSense but afraid it will happen again.
Are new DualSense better at having drift? and what colours the new controllers are? Thanks

jm89

Same, to me it started about year and a half from launch. had all main PS consoles and never had a drift issue, i want to buy a new DualSense but afraid it will happen again.
Are new DualSense better at having drift? and what colours the new controllers are? Thanks
There are few people on YouTube who did teardowns of the new controller and found the colour of the part where the drift issue happens changed.

But no one can confirm whether that actually means they made improvements to address the drift problem or is literally a colour change for the part.

The new colours are black,purple,light blue, pink, red and grey camo.

mxbison

I have a PS5 and XSX and console wise I'd give a slight edge to the XSX. It's a bit quieter and overall felt a tad more premium, maybe because it also came in a much nicer box compared to the PS5 egg carton thing.

PS5 controller feels better quality though, especially the dpad.

Overall I'd say pretty equal and both great pieces of hardware.

oji-san

Banned
There are few people on YouTube who did teardowns of the new controller and found the colour of the part where the drift issue happens changed.

But no one can confirm whether that actually means they made improvements to address the drift problem or is literally a colour change for the part.

The new colours are black,purple,light blue, pink, red and grey camo.

Will take a chance and buy one of the newer revision, Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

No problems with my Series X so far and it gets almost daily use.

My Switch Lite did brick though and just stopped turning on. It gets light to medium use, so kinda sucks that it happened.

The stick drift issues the last two gens is really bad. I wish the big three would fix that.

Top Bottom