• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announce God of War on PS4 has hit 19.55MM sales (sold through)

XXL

All of us at Santa Monica Studio have been humbled by the immense amount of support and passions fans of the God of War series have shown in the latest chapter of Kratos’ story since its release. As of August 2021, 19.5MM copies for God of War on PlayStation 4 have been sold through and we can’t wait to share that experience with a whole new group of players on PC.

mejin

giphy.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Might as well release a remaster if I’m Sony I’m having a team meeting Fu sack boy fu crash, god of war, Kratos you’re our new Mascot. That’s speaking from the heart of a Sony fan.
video games GIF

Banjo64

cumsessed
This is a tremendous figure, and it will probably comfortably hit 25m now it’s coming to PC. It’s also nice to have a definitive number, as people have been quoting over 20m for a long time based on an estimate.

insane legs! its literally crazy how much sony's ip have grown since the PS3 gen. wasnt god of war's peak like 7m before?

hell, GT used to be their top seller back than with 10-13m sold. now they got new ip selling more than that or getting near to it, like horizon and ghost of tsushima.

Last edited:
Mark My Words. Sony is going to release God Of War Ragnarok Holiday 2022 that means its going up against Starfield. 2022 is shaping up to be an incredible year for gamers, Competition = Gamers Win.
I've been playing Bethesda Game Studio games for a very long time, and yet I still do not understand the excitement around Starfield. Everything we've seen looks so dry to me. Luckily, I won't need to buy it to play it, but it's pretty far down on my list for next year. BGS have to do a lot to rebuild their reputation, at least for me.

Rikkori

Tried it on the Pro but fov was garbo so had to stop. Will give it another chance in ultrawide. Tbh I kinda wish we'd get Infamous duology more, those would play so well in uw + m&kb.

Mr Hyde

Holy shit! Last time I read about sales for GoW it was around 5 million. What a beast. It truly deserves it though, a fantastic game from start to finish. This is how you reboot a franchise.

Zok310

Banned
insane legs! its literally crazy how much sony's ip have grown since the PS3 gen. wasnt god of war's peak like 7m before?

hell, GT used to be their top seller back than with 10-13m sold. now they got new ip selling more than that or getting near to it, like horizon and ghost of tsushima.
Piracy hurt a lot of Sony early ips on ps1-ps3. Was not until consoles became really connected that we see sales sky rocket on PS4, it's no coincidence. It dont make sense that each of their consoles sold over 90 million units but games regularly sold below 20 million, that's piracy hurting them.

Last edited:

Neofire

If Sony plan to release all their games on PC they need to at least build their own PC platform and launcher. Cause giving those 30% to steam is just a mess and prostitution.
I Hope this isn't what Jim is trying to do but rather trying to syphon extra money from the PC community.

But alienating their own platforms with cheaper prices and better performance on PC isn't a good look for them.

I'm curious to see the hands in reviews of the PC version of this game to see how bad ps5 owners got okie doked with that small patch upgrade we got.

If Sony plan to release all their games on PC they need to at least build their own PC platform and launcher. Cause giving those 30% to steam is just a mess and prostitution.
I assumed thats why they put 500 million into Epic. For a strategic partnership. They are probably using steam to show Epic how much interest their games gather. Epic did offer them 200 million for 4 games. I guess Sony wanted more.

It’s funny how much a year makes. I was thinking it was stupid to release GOW on PC. I think its brillant to release it on the release of a sequel.

yurinka

It's a masterpiece, probably my favorite game of the generation shared with BotW, Mario Odyssey, Bloodborne and SFV. Well deserved.

I think it's smart to release it a few months before its sequel. Many PC players will get the first one and probably some of them will get a PS5 to play its sequel and other exclusives.

If Sony plan to release all their games on PC
They said they don't plan to release all their games on PC.

They plan to keep porting some, not all, old titles to PC. So if they release let's say around 3 or 4 games per year on PC that were released several years before on PS won't need a launcher.

I Hope this isn't what Jim is trying to do but rather trying to syphon extra money from the PC community.

But alienating their own platforms with cheaper prices and better performance on PC isn't a good look for them.
Their idea is to milk a bit more some old games that after some years completed their sales cycle, had price drops, were included in subs etc in PS. When their revenue on PS is (almost completely) dead, if they see good potential sales on PC they port it to reach new players from countries who don't play on console, or even PC players from here who will never buy a console, and also make extra revenue from these games plus using them to promote their upcoming (only available on PS) sequel/movie/tv show.

They do that when the game already sold a shit ton of copies, has been included in PS Plus and/or PS Now and it's being sold dirt cheap in console. So anyone possibly interested on it on console already played it while ago, won't miss anything and won't affect console game sales or console hardware sales.

Mark My Words. Sony is going to release God Of War Ragnarok Holiday 2022 that means its going up against Starfield. 2022 is shaping up to be an incredible year for gamers, Competition = Gamers Win.
I think Ragnarok will release in September or earlier, and that Starfield won't release in 2022. Sony traditionally keeps holidays for the 3rd party games and release their big 1st party games during the rest of the year, and remember that Ragnarok was originally planned for 2021.

Last edited:
That's a fair few sales for what was such a risky departure for the series.
I know it was a really expensive game to make but these sales numbers clearly take care of whatever was spent on it. I wonder how well it will sell on PC, I think it's a fantastic game and I'm really glad that some more people are going to get the chance to play the game soon. I play it again in preparation of the new follow up.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Thumps Up GIF by BILLA

deserved, honestly

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom