• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announce God of War on PS4 has hit 19.55MM sales (sold through)

S0ULZB0URNE

Jim Ryan: Look you PlayStation faithful, take this framerate BC patch for PS5 and like it!

Jim Ryan: Hello PC folks! Look what we got for you. God of War! True 4k resolution! Better shadows, improved reflections, new graphics options! Ultra Wide screen support! Plus DLSS! It's the definitive version! All only for 49.99!

PlayStation faithful: ugh wait a minute, what about us? All we get is a framerate patch? Not even native 4k?:mad: We're the ones who pushed your sales to 19.55 million! You don't care about us?:messenger_crying:

Jim Ryan: Fine you little s***s, we'll give you a native PS5 version. $69.99!:):pie_raybans:

PlayStation faithful:
shocked.png
Nahh we are like the big brother who got new toys.
So we hand down the old toys because little brother keeps begging.

TransTrender

Gold Member
It's Roman numeral. M is thousands and MM is millions.
Weird, lol
Especially since there's a ton of Metric system rollover like $10K or $10M or $10T.
To me, it doesn't many any sense why Roman Numerals would somehow find their way in to this when a power of 10 system already exists and is used.

Last edited:

yurinka

how much sales are expected on PC? can god of war get to 25m before ragnarok releases?
I'd say 5-10 millions but maybe not before Ragnarok release. But yes, I expect PS4+PC versions to reach 25M before Ragnarok release.

Jim Ryan: Look you PlayStation faithful, take this framerate BC patch for PS5 and like it!

Jim Ryan: Hello PC folks! Look what we got for you. God of War! True 4k resolution! Better shadows, improved reflections, new graphics options! Ultra Wide screen support! Plus DLSS! It's the definitive version! All only for 49.99!

PlayStation faithful: ugh wait a minute, what about us? All we get is a framerate patch? Not even native 4k?:mad: We're the ones who pushed your sales to 19.55 million! You don't care about us?:messenger_crying:

Jim Ryan: Fine you little s***s, we'll give you a native PS5 version. $69.99!:):pie_raybans:

PlayStation faithful:
shocked.png
Jim Ryan: Look you PlayStation faithful, look what we got for you. God of War! True 4k resolution! Better shadows, improved reflections, new graphics options! Ultra Wide screen support! Plus DLSS and a free nordic Knack DLC included! And DS+3D audio features! It's the definitive version! All only for a $9.99 upgrade for a native PS5 version!

PlayStation faithful: $9.99? No way, I won't pay that! *starts riots*

Jim Ryan: Well, this work needs to be paid. Anybody would like to pay for that?

PC player: Hey, me and several millions of PC players would gladly pay $49.99 for that instead of $9.99.

Jim Ryan: Ok, here you have it. Btw, here you have a free skin DLC for the PC port.

Last edited:

Fbh

"Hey Sony can we get some of that regional pricing from your Steam releases on Ps4/5 too?"
"but you already get regional pricing!"
"D...do you mean the fact you are selling the Ps5 for almost $900 + tax here?"
"Yup!...regional pricing! :messenger_beaming:"

Lognor

Banned
A bit higher than I expected. Definitely great sales. I will finally get to play it when it comes to pc. See what all the hype is about lol

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
SlimySnake SlimySnake

50M+ isn’t too unrealistic long term, Jim Ryan isn’t dreaming about the potential reach
Lots of games sell 20 million. Every CoD game. Every mario game. Even BF1 sold 20 million. It's impressive but I still think 50 million is a pipe dream.

Someone made a great point in the Gamepass thread. Games are just not as mainstream as movies and tv shows. You can put games on TV apps, smartphones and PCs all you want, but the audience is still just a bunch of dudes. You are never gonna get grandma mammy or Aunt Eliza to play TLOU2.

Lots of games sell 20 million. Every CoD game. Every mario game. Even BF1 sold 20 million. It's impressive but I still think 50 million is a pipe dream.

Someone made a great point in the Gamepass thread. Games are just not as mainstream as movies and tv shows. You can put games on TV apps, smartphones and PCs all you want, but the audience is still just a bunch of dudes. You are never gonna get grandma mammy or Aunt Eliza to play TLOU2.

not today. 20 years, don’t count it out

gaming is growing way faster than tv or movies

Stooky

Most games don’t get close to 20 mil. Some entire franchises don’t hit that. Cod and bf1 are multiplat. 20mil for
An exclusive is amazing. Don’t diminish their accomplishment.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

not today. 20 years, don’t count it out

gaming is growing way faster than tv or movies
The gaming segment thats growing is the mobile segment. You finally have women playing candy crush, but they will never graduate to TLOU2. You look at the console sales and its remained pretty stagnant since the PS2 era.

PS2 -150 million + 25 Million GCs + 25 million Xbox = 200 million userbase
PS3 - 85 million + Xbox 88 million + Wii 100 million = 280 million userbase
PS4 - 120 million + XBox 50 Million + Wii U 20 million = 190 million userbase

The Wii generation was an abberation when grand ma and grand pa and everyone at retirement homes bought it and then died. Never to be seen again. PS5 will once again sell 100 million. Xbox 50 million. Nitnendo will continue to dominate the handheld market like they did with DS back in the day, but the console market will be lucky to ever hit the 280 million mark again. It's a male dominated market just like NFL, Baseball and Basketball. Women will tag along, but you will never get women to enjoy traditional AAA games just like they cant sit infront of a tv and watch football all day rooting for their fantasy football team.

SlimySnake

Cod and bf1 are multiplat. 20mil for
An exclusive is amazing. Don’t diminish their accomplishment.
No one diminished anything. I literally said it's impressive in the very post you quoted.
It's impressive but I still think 50 million is a pipe dream.

James and I are discussing an older argument we had about Jim Ryan wanting hundreds of millions of people to play TLOU2 and GOW.

Last edited:

Stooky

No one diminished anything. I literally said it's impressive in the very post you quoted.

James and I are discussing an older argument we had about Jim Ryan wanting hundreds of millions of people to play TLOU2 and GOW.
you're still wrong lol most games dont hit 20mil. 5 mill is considered a success

Last edited:
Amazing game.

The fights with Baldur are what I wish the Superhero movie fights looked like - really made it feel like two monsters smashing each other’s brains in.

MrA

Banned
God of War is a masterpiece. GOAT tier.

94 metacritic score

200+ Game of the Year awards

117 million PS4s sold

105 million monthly active users on PSN

But only 20 million units sold for GoW.

This is why Jimbo is porting it to PC.
Only 20 million? That's an incredible number even if every copy was sold at 10 bucks it'd still be impressive (but we know like 8 million or so were at full price)

I was wondering that too but it probably doesn't. They have sold almost 20 million ps5s or something so it can't.
More likely almost 15 million, and that would assume everyone downloaded the game that has the ps collection
Regardless i doubt Sony includes freebies they might since numbers are good pr but it seems a stretch (though even if they did I doubt more than 5 million people took the offer for free games so even then it'd be 15 million which is still crazy good )

Even though I don't like gow they clearly delivered

Awesome well deserved!

So this is likely the 4th Sony game to reach 20 million units?

1. The last of us. Confirmed although needed a remaster.
2. Spiderman. Not confirmed but I would bet my testicles on it. It overtook god of war in nearly all major markets based on the early data
3. Uncharted 4. Was at 15 million a while back not so sure on this one but likely had some legs.
4. God of war. Okay officially not 20 yet but 100% will get there.

So 10 million club

1. Horizon. Confirmed 10 million by 2019 I think likely over 15 million with pc release by now.
2. Last ot us part 2. 7 million last confirmed numbers but surely over 10 million by now.
3.Ghost of tsushima. Maybe not 10 million yet but likely closing in.
4. A couple of gran turismo games ? Don't know numbers off my head.
5. Miles Morales. Was it 6.5 million confirmed? surely past or close to 10 given its amazing legs.

Anything I missed out or got wrong? All off the top of my head so apologies if I have

Stooky

Not if you're square Enix at maximum bananasness
again multiplat. For console exclusive 1st paty 5mil pretty damn good. Lookng at the install base of your platform your hoping for 7% on the low end 15% on the high end attraction rate, anything beyond that is cake. GOW for 3 years at YTD 20mill is amazing.

How many games that are only on one platform sell 20 million? COD and BF are multiplatform and we all know Nintendo first party sells like crazy because that's what the people buy the hardware for, they also have less competition on their platform than xbox or PlayStation do.

Shakka43

Neofire

PlayStation faithful:
shocked.png
The sad part is this probably what they are planning lol. Straight up alienating its own player base.

Wonder what Sony game are higher than this.

Assume Last of Us 1 is by now.

Spiderman too be sure if the brand name?

Last of us 2 will probably reach it in a quicker time period as well.

Wouldn't think there would be anything else.

Very impressive.

DrAspirino

Banned
Source: https://blog.playstation.com/2021/10/20/god-of-war-2018-is-coming-to-pc/

As of August 2021, 19.5MM copies for God of War on PlayStation 4 have been sold through and we can’t wait to share that experience with a whole new group of players on PC.
19.5 MM copies is insane. I mean.... if you look those numbers alone, it's one of the best sold game from past generation, and it's an even bigger merit that it's an exclusive one.

HOWEVER, since it's a PS4 exclusive AND there are supposedly 120 MM PS4 consoles out there in the wild, that only represents around 16% of current PS4 installed base (if we asume that every single PS4 sold is actually working).

So, the question arises: what the f*ck is wrong with PS customers? I mean... God of War is a really good game, yet an immense amount of PS players haven't even touched it.

To put it in perspective, right now there are 89 MM Nintendo Switch consoles out there, and it's best sold game is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, with 37 MM units sold.

Thus, a Nintendo Switch exclusive game (MK8: Deluxe) has been sold to around 41.6% Nintendo Switch customers.

Why the greater installed base of PS4 customers don't actually play PS exclusives is beyond me, given that the main diferentiator between Sony consoles and the rest are the exclusives (as said by Sony themselves).

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
again multiplat. For console exclusive 1st paty 5mil pretty damn good. Lookng at the install base of your platform your hoping for 7% on the low end 15% on the high end attraction rate, anything beyond that is cake. GOW for 3 years at YTD 20mill is amazing.
That was a joke about square Enix crazy expectations not gows success

19.5 MM copies is insane. I mean.... if you look those numbers alone, it's one of the best sold game from past generation, and it's an even bigger merit that it's an exclusive one.

HOWEVER, since it's a PS4 exclusive AND there are supposedly 120 MM PS4 consoles out there in the wild, that only represents around 16% of current PS4 installed base (if we asume that every single PS4 sold is actually working).

So, the question arises: what the f*ck is wrong with PS customers? I mean... God of War is an insanely good game, yet an immense amount of PS players haven't even touched it.

An insane amount of people who buy consoles only play one or two games.

COD and FIFA. There are 10s of millions of people who literally only play those. Straight off the bag none of those people are reachable.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

So, the question arises: what the f*ck is wrong with PS customers? I mean... God of War is a really good game, yet an immense amount of PS players haven't even touched it.

To put it in perspective, right now there are 89 MM Nintendo Switch consoles out there, and it's best sold game is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, with 37 MM units sold.

Thus, a Nintendo Switch exclusive game (MK8: Deluxe) has been sold to around 41.6% Nintendo Switch customers.

Why the greater installed base of PS4 customers don't actually play PS exclusives is beyond me, given that the main diferentiator between Sony consoles and the rest are the exclusives (as said by Sony themselves).

Its likely because the majority of playstation owners are casual players.
Nintendo games are more universal, there franchises + games span multiple generations and age groups.

Lognor

Banned
A simple youtube video trailer announcing that this old PS4 game is coming to PC, already got over 120k views in an hour.
This sequel is going pull some amazing numbers for Sony.
I think also because there are fewer and fewer doubters that Sony will release all their heavy hitters on pc. That was not a mistake that showed demons souls coming to pc. Only a matter of time

EDMIX

Its likely because the majority of playstation owners are casual players.
Nintendo games are more universal, there franchises + games span multiple generations and age groups.

I disagree. Majority of PS gamers simply have more options to play and buy more 3rd party AAA content, thus not limiting the install base to JUST buying first party games.

Games that span many generations and age groups still exist on PS, XB, PC etc. I have no clue where the fuck you got that was something different on PS or something lol

You telling me Tekken, Street Fighter, MK, Call Of Duty, Doom etc didn't span many generations? Other platforms don't have games for multiple age groups or?

In 2018 God Of War had to compete against the likes of Spiderman, Monster Hunter Worlds, Red Dead Redemption 2, Far Cry 5, AC Odyssey, COD Black Ops 4, Shadow Of The Colossus remake etc

Those games fit many age groups, span many generations and moved massive units. The install base buys many, many genres, thus its more competitive. They don't exist to JUST solely buy PS titles.

Sosokrates

I disagree. Majority of PS gamers simply have more options to play and buy more 3rd party AAA content, thus not limiting the install base to JUST buying first party games.

Games that span many generations and age groups still exist on PS, XB, PC etc. I have no clue where the fuck you got that was something different on PS or something lol

You telling me Tekken, Street Fighter, MK, Call Of Duty, Doom etc didn't span many generations? Other platforms don't have games for multiple age groups or?

In 2018 God Of War had to compete against the likes of Spiderman, Monster Hunter Worlds, Red Dead Redemption 2, Far Cry 5, AC Odyssey, COD Black Ops 4, Shadow Of The Colossus remake etc

Those games fit many age groups, span many generations and moved massive units. The install base buys many, many genres, thus its more competitive. They don't exist to JUST solely buy PS titles.
I was talking about exclusives.
TLOU and gow dont span as many generations as mario and zelda, also they span more age groups, most sony games seem to be adult themed games where mario + zelda is for all ages.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Oddly specific.. i wonder what the big deal is about 19.5m... maybe in soviet Russia 5.19m is the big sales milestone...

Kdad

Awesome well deserved!

So this is likely the 4th Sony game to reach 20 million units?

1. The last of us. Confirmed although needed a remaster.
2. Spiderman. Not confirmed but I would bet my testicles on it. It overtook god of war in nearly all major markets based on the early data
3. Uncharted 4. Was at 15 million a while back not so sure on this one but likely had some legs.
4. God of war. Okay officially not 20 yet but 100% will get there.

So 10 million club

1. Horizon. Confirmed 10 million by 2019 I think likely over 15 million with pc release by now.
2. Last ot us part 2. 7 million last confirmed numbers but surely over 10 million by now.
3.Ghost of tsushima. Maybe not 10 million yet but likely closing in.
4. A couple of gran turismo games ? Don't know numbers off my head.
5. Miles Morales. Was it 6.5 million confirmed? surely past or close to 10 given its amazing legs.

Anything I missed out or got wrong? All off the top of my head so apologies if I have
For first party PS4 titles? I'm imagining GT Sport should be in the 10 million area by now

EDMIX

I was talling about exclusives.

Even then that is still wrong though.

They have series that date back from PS1, span many generations and age groups etc. I mean dear god, you are talking in a thread about a God Of War moving almost 20 million units, an IP that started in 2005.

So all the things you stated, exist on PS, XB etc. None of that is an exclusive concept to Nintendo, they simply choose to live and die by that shit vs MS and Sony always bringing out new IP, rebooting concepts etc.

Tschumi Tschumi lol I think it will pass 20 million mark in a few months and they couldn't really wait to pair the announcement with the sales figure. Like they where hoping it would be 20 million by the time this date came up to announce the PC version but it didn't or something.

Last edited:

Tschumi

TLOU and gow dont span as many generations as mario and zelda, also they span more age groups, most sony games seem to be adult themed games where mario + zelda is for all ages.
I mean, it's not a direct comparison because PlayStation is younger than Nintendo consoles, so it didn't get the first few titles as far as i know, but final fantasy has been around a fair while, too?

Spyro... Maybe? Crash Bandicoot?

I'm just saying, it's not like TLOU and GoW are the eldest PS exclusive series...

EDMIX EDMIX when you put it that way it's actually kinda endearing lol

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Even then that is still wrong though.

They have series that date back from PS1, span many generations and age groups etc. I mean dear god, you are talking in a thread about a God Of War moving almost 20 million units, an IP that started in 2005.

So all the things you stated, exist on PS, XB etc. None of that is an exclusive concept to Nintendo, they simply choose to live and die by that shit vs MS and Sony always bringing out new IP, rebooting concepts etc.

Tschumi Tschumi lol I think it will pass 20 million mark in a few months and they couldn't really wait to pair the announcement with the sales figure. Like they where hoping it would be 20 million by the time this date came up to announce the PC version but it didn't or something.

Well whats your explanation for why Nintendo games have a significantly higher attach rate?

There are not many franchines that sony have that started on the PS1 that are still going, i think gran turismo is the only one.
Also playstation exclusives are more adult themed then Nintendos.

Sosokrates

I mean, it's not a direct comparison because PlayStation is younger than Nintendo consoles, so it didn't get the first few titles as far as i know, but final fantasy has been around a fair while, too?

Spyro... Maybe? Crash Bandicoot?

I'm just saying, it's not like TLOU and GoW are the eldest PS exclusive series...

EDMIX EDMIX when you put it that way it's actually kinda endearing lol

I never claimed it was a direct comparison, its just an explanation for maybe why Nintendo exclusives have a higher attach rate.

And the amazing thing is it had potential to double what it did on just PS4 alone were it a simultaneous PC release as a newer title, but it could honestly end up getting another 5 or more million by dropping on PC even this late. The desire for games like this has always been there. Nearly 20 million is incredible, but this is still a platform that sold like 115 million or more units. This effectively proves what Jim Ryan recently said was spot on. There's a clear rough cut off or ceiling for even Sony's biggest releases due to being gated on just that generation's playstation console. The game will now have a chance to reach a much wider audience of people that didn't pick it up for PS4, or who would still appreciate having it on their PCs. There's way too much money being left on the table to ignore PC, and this is Sony realizing as much.

This, to me, is the #1 game Sony released all generation, so this is a big deal. Plus they're working on the Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection for PS5 and PC, which drops sometime in 2022. It's a clear shift in strategy for them.

yurinka

Dozens of thousands of games get released every generation combining all platforms. Only a couple of dozen games or so sell that every generation (and this is now, way less did it in the past). And only a few ones do it in a single platform. And not every Mario game sells 20 million.

True, dudes play games made for dudes like TLOU2 and granmas will play other type of games made for granmas. Different games are made for different type of players. Candy Crush, Wii Sports, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing or The Sims aren't targeted for the same people than GoW or Uncharted. The granmas who today have 90 years won't play any game, but the ones who now (or in 10 year) have 60 years old may play. And more of the ones after them will play more.

Well whats your explanation for why Nintendo games have a significantly higher attach rate?
In all platforms software revenue (so game sales) are focused on a few companies, so games. A couple of dozen companies get around 80% of the gaming revenue in all platforms.

This means that in consoles most sales get focused on several big seller series/companies. PlayStation has way more big seller games released every year (not only exclusive, counting 3rd party multiplatform games too which looking at IR report they are a bigger portion of total game sales in PS vs Switch), which means even if they sold way over 1600 milllion games for PS4 as of now (versus 632 million on Switch as of now) and considering PS4 has around 2x the attach rate of Switch (more total games sold per console, normal to have more because it's several years older), these sales are spread over more big selling games resulting on a smaller attach rate than the Switch super sellers. Less super sellers = sales focused in less games = these supersellers getting a higher attach rate.

Traditionally the biggest sellers in PS are GTA, CoD, FIFA, Fortnite, Battlefield, AC and so on, multiplatform games that have PS as their best selling platform. Not first party games. GoW, TLOU, Spider-Man and a few more are rare exceptions in the PS history. Nintendo instead traditionally focuses their big sellers in exclusive games way more than PS. If Nintendo would have a more similar hardware to the other ones, porting would be easier so it would get more multiplatform games from the big seller series, so there would be more big sellers to spread sales across them, so attach rate would decrease.

For this same reason you can also explain why Switch also has more evergreen superseller games.

This is also true. GoW and TLOU are games for (mostly male) adults, so they limit the demographics who can play the games while Mario or Zelda (+most Nintendo IPs) are more like Disney movies, for all the family: adults and kids will enjoy them. Sony also have other IPs very targeted specifically for kids or like Singstar for other demographics.

In addition to this, GoW and TLOU were created pretty recently compared to Mario and Zelda and are series with only a few games instead of dozens. So they carry less fans from the past.

Last edited:
Top Bottom