• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announce God of War on PS4 has hit 19.55MM sales (sold through)

Tschumi

I never claimed it was a direct comparison, its just an explanation for maybe why Nintendo exclusives have a higher attach rate.
As far as i can see, Nintendo exclusives seem to be treated as an elite group of titles that stand apart from third party games, and define the system, in marketing and sales, etc.. with Sony i think the big selling point is their hardware and organisation.. so yeah i guess the two systems get different things out of their exclusives.. don't really think there's much of a comparison to be made there

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
As far as i can see, Nintendo exclusives seem to be treated as an elite group of titles that stand apart from third party games, and define the system, in marketing and sales, etc.. with Sony i think the big selling point is their hardware and organisation.. so yeah i guess the two systems get different things out of their exclusives.. don't really think there's much of a comparison to be made there
Then we disagree then.
They are both are videogame platforms, nothing unusual about making comparisons. Its not unique to sony though, xbox has similer attach rates until gamepass came along.

EDMIX

Well whats your explanation for why Nintendo games have a significantly higher attach rate?
They have an install base solely for first party based on lack of AAA 3rd party titles.

Stuff like Call Of Duty, AC, Battlefield, Destiny and many more skip that platform, thus the majority install base of fans of those IP do no buy a Nintendo (not for those games anyway) and simply buy other systems, thus over time the install base of Nintendo gamers buy for first party as they no longer have those 3rd party titles that used to appear on the platform.

The reason for owning it becomes for first party titles mainly. This will alter the attach rate greatly as you don't have the likes of Far Cry or Battlefield or anything like that taking away sales as in the customer isn't making choice to not buy Kirby or Mario cause BF came out too, it doesn't come out on Nintendo, thus their options are limited to mainly the first party offerings.
There are not many franchines that sony have that started on the PS1 that are still going, i think gran turismo is the only one.
Sony cycles their series, they don't just live and die on releasing them every fucking generation to no end. Thus you saw Sony bend move on to different things after Syphon Filter, you saw Insomniac move on to Ratchet, you saw Naughty Dog move on to Jak etc More so, you saw them then move on to Days Gone, then Spiderman, Resistance, Uncharted, The Last Of Us etc That is the nature of how they do things. This obession with "still going" is odd as why fucking beg for them to be milked as if you win something? So it can end up like Star Fox Zero? Beloved series outsourced to any team to be milked and turned into horror shows? That didn't even help Nintendo, not sure why one would make it seem as if they MUST continue a IP generation after generation etc.

They put out games based on demand, based on what works with the team and if they actually have fresh ideas, not simply to milk the IP to death to the point of it being a joke like we saw with Star Fox. We got 2 solid titles and then Dinosaurs and spears and shit lol No thanks man. I want them still going on PROVEN ideas, not going on just to go on. Jak 4 was even in development and the team put it to rest as they didn't have any original ideas. I'd rather have them put out content if it makes sense...

Not simply milking for the sake of it. We only bring that shit up with an IP does well, yet quite when we get a Star Fox Zero situation.....
Also playstation exclusives are more adult themed then Nintendos.

I agree with you on this, but shit that is why I told you they have games that support MANY AGE GROUPS!

They have several decades of IPs they can pull from like Nintendo, they support more age groups as you don't have much if any adult themed Nintendo games currently. I like that they are doing something different vs here is the same thing 100x. Keep in mind, I don't mind getting a Metroid that is just a 2D classic or a Kirby that is JUST about him sucking shit up lol I personally love that btw, but I also can't bash a publisher for doing something different and not milking an IP JUST to keep milking a install base of fans or something. I like that they have games for everyone as LBP, Dreams, Ratchet, Knack (i fucking said it lol) their VR content, Gravity Rush and many more still exist. Them spending money on AAA adult mature rated ideas, concepts, themes etc doesn't mean they only do that. They have the most diverse library easily and I'd say MS also has a more diverse library as well. Sony was smart to notice the age of their consumers moved on, thus offered games that fit the demographic that played PS when they were kids. So I might have owned many Nintendo systems when I was a kid, but PS has remained with me thru that time and in adulthood because of that move. Its not to say I don't play Animal Crossing or I'm not hype for Kirby, simply that I'd like to see more publishers grow with their consumers as suppose to expect them to remain the same or be replaced.

That being said (sorry for the tree =( ) God Of War moving such numbers shows Sony knows what their install base wants and their not afraid to go against the norms and move on past what the IP WAS to bring it where it needs to be to fit the current age group of those same consumers that bought the first game 16 years ago. I recall reading that Sony Santa Monica wanted to keep nothing sacred when making this game, they wanted nothing to old them back based on some idea of nostalgia and seeing the record awards and sales, they were correct to go with that. Its probably why you don't see some of those PS1 series continue, if they don't have a new idea or concept to keep it fresh, whats the point?

The gaming segment thats growing is the mobile segment. You finally have women playing candy crush, but they will never graduate to TLOU2. You look at the console sales and its remained pretty stagnant since the PS2 era.

PS2 -150 million + 25 Million GCs + 25 million Xbox = 200 million userbase
PS3 - 85 million + Xbox 88 million + Wii 100 million = 280 million userbase
PS4 - 120 million + XBox 50 Million + Wii U 20 million = 190 million userbase

The Wii generation was an abberation when grand ma and grand pa and everyone at retirement homes bought it and then died. Never to be seen again. PS5 will once again sell 100 million. Xbox 50 million. Nitnendo will continue to dominate the handheld market like they did with DS back in the day, but the console market will be lucky to ever hit the 280 million mark again. It's a male dominated market just like NFL, Baseball and Basketball. Women will tag along, but you will never get women to enjoy traditional AAA games just like they cant sit infront of a tv and watch football all day rooting for their fantasy football team.

PS2 exclusives 2M high end
PS3 exclusives 5M high end
PS4 exclusives 20M high end
PS5 exclusives (w/ PC now) 30M high end I suspect we will see with games like Spider-Man

Sosokrates

They have an install base solely for first party based on lack of AAA 3rd party titles.

Stuff like Call Of Duty, AC, Battlefield, Destiny and many more skip that platform, thus the majority install base of fans of those IP do no buy a Nintendo (not for those games anyway) and simply buy other systems, thus over time the install base of Nintendo gamers buy for first party as they no longer have those 3rd party titles that used to appear on the platform.

The reason for owning it becomes for first party titles mainly. This will alter the attach rate greatly as you don't have the likes of Far Cry or Battlefield or anything like that taking away sales as in the customer isn't making choice to not buy Kirby or Mario cause BF came out too, it doesn't come out on Nintendo, thus their options are limited to mainly the first party offerings.

Sony cycles their series, they don't just live and die on releasing them every fucking generation to no end. Thus you saw Sony bend move on to different things after Syphon Filter, you saw Insomniac move on to Ratchet, you saw Naughty Dog move on to Jak etc More so, you saw them then move on to Days Gone, then Spiderman, Resistance, Uncharted, The Last Of Us etc That is the nature of how they do things. This obession with "still going" is odd as why fucking beg for them to be milked as if you win something? So it can end up like Star Fox Zero? Beloved series outsourced to any team to be milked and turned into horror shows? That didn't even help Nintendo, not sure why one would make it seem as if they MUST continue a IP generation after generation etc.

They put out games based on demand, based on what works with the team and if they actually have fresh ideas, not simply to milk the IP to death to the point of it being a joke like we saw with Star Fox. We got 2 solid titles and then Dinosaurs and spears and shit lol No thanks man. I want them still going on PROVEN ideas, not going on just to go on. Jak 4 was even in development and the team put it to rest as they didn't have any original ideas. I'd rather have them put out content if it makes sense...

Not simply milking for the sake of it. We only bring that shit up with an IP does well, yet quite when we get a Star Fox Zero situation.....

I agree with you on this, but shit that is why I told you they have games that support MANY AGE GROUPS!

They have several decades of IPs they can pull from like Nintendo, they support more age groups as you don't have much if any adult themed Nintendo games currently. I like that they are doing something different vs here is the same thing 100x. Keep in mind, I don't mind getting a Metroid that is just a 2D classic or a Kirby that is JUST about him sucking shit up lol I personally love that btw, but I also can't bash a publisher for doing something different and not milking an IP JUST to keep milking a install base of fans or something. I like that they have games for everyone as LBP, Dreams, Ratchet, Knack (i fucking said it lol) their VR content, Gravity Rush and many more still exist. Them spending money on AAA adult mature rated ideas, concepts, themes etc doesn't mean they only do that. They have the most diverse library easily and I'd say MS also has a more diverse library as well. Sony was smart to notice the age of their consumers moved on, thus offered games that fit the demographic that played PS when they were kids. So I might have owned many Nintendo systems when I was a kid, but PS has remained with me thru that time and in adulthood because of that move. Its not to say I don't play Animal Crossing or I'm not hype for Kirby, simply that I'd like to see more publishers grow with their consumers as suppose to expect them to remain the same or be replaced.

That being said (sorry for the tree =( ) God Of War moving such numbers shows Sony knows what their install base wants and their not afraid to go against the norms and move on past what the IP WAS to bring it where it needs to be to fit the current age group of those same consumers that bought the first game 16 years ago. I recall reading that Sony Santa Monica wanted to keep nothing sacred when making this game, they wanted nothing to old them back based on some idea of nostalgia and seeing the record awards and sales, they were correct to go with that. Its probably why you don't see some of those PS1 series continue, if they don't have a new idea or concept to keep it fresh, whats the point?

The first few paragraphs I agree with, moving onto new ip makes sense, but Nintendo have managed to keep there ip in demand despite being old, there is an advantage of having an established ip. Sony would love to keep using the same ip but they have shown they are not as good as Nintendo at doing this. Theres nothing wrong with either approach, but lets not deny that in the context of attach rate Nintendos approach is providing better results, however sony replicating this approach may not be as fruitful.
Sonys exclusives mainly support older audiences, there are some exceptions though.
But that does not change one of the reasons Nintendo exclusives on the switch do so well is because there games scale age groups better then sonys higher selling games. Sony do have games like rachet + sackboy, but that beside my point.

I never claimed it was a direct comparison, its just an explanation for maybe why Nintendo exclusives have a higher attach rate.

Think about it. Nintendo consoles don't get 90% of the 3rd party games. They completely miss the call of duty and fifa crowd. Most people buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games which is actually pretty awesome, that Nintendo can sustain a system with their own games alone. They have powerful ip.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Think about it. Nintendo consoles don't get 90% of the 3rd party games. They completely miss the call of duty and fifa crowd. Most people buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games which is actually pretty awesome, that Nintendo can sustain a system with their own games alone. They have powerful ip.
Sure, im sure that probably plays a part, as do my suggestions.

yurinka

NES 62 million + SMS >13 million = >75 million userbase
SNES 49 million + >33 MD million + Turbografx 10 million = 92 million userbase
PS1-102 million + N64 33 million + Saturn 9 million = 144 million userbase
PS2 -150 million + 25 Million GCs + 25 million Xbox = 200 million userbase
PS3 - 85 million + Xbox 88 million + Wii 100 million + Wii U 20 million = 280 million userbase
PS4 - 120 million + XBox 50 Million + Switch 90 million = 260 million userbase (with still many millions to be sold, specially Switch)
I'd group them in this way because I think make more sense in this way and also added a few more generations to get a better picture of the console market growth generation after generation.

EDMIX

Sony would love to keep using the same ip but they have shown they are not as good as Nintendo at doing this

Nintendo themselves are not that good when you factor those flops, those flops happen for a reason.

lets not deny that in the context of attach rate Nintendos approach is providing better results

For their exact scenario sure, but I'm sure consumers would likely want more choice.

But that does not change one of the reasons Nintendo exclusives on the switch do so well is because there games scale age groups better then sonys higher selling games. Sony do have games like rachet + sackboy, but that beside my point.

Its also because not much competition exist on the platform compared to PS4 bud, it makes sense why the platforms main sellers are just Nintendo, they not getting AC or Battlefield etc

Sony has games for all groups, not simply some regardless of sales.

Bodomism

Banned
Not only that, Nintendo rarely drop the price of their top selling switch titles.

For example Zelda BOTW is still at $59.99 MSRP despite selling around 25 million copies and released 4 years ago, while Sony games like GOW 2018 current MSRP is at $19.99 despite releasing later than BOTW and was heavily bundled with PS4 hardware during the holiday seasons.

Not only that, Nintendo rarely drop the price of their top selling switch titles.

For example Zelda BOTW is still at $59.99 MSRP despite selling around 25 million copies and released 4 years ago, while Sony games like GOW 2018 current MSRP is at $19.99 despite releasing later than BOTW and was heavily bundled with PS4 hardware during the holiday seasons.

That's a natural function of not having any competition on your platform.

Incredible sales, and on a single platform too
I mean, it's impressive, but it's less impressive when you compare sales to Animal Crossing: New Horizons which as of March 31st, 2021 had sold 35.9 million copies. Also on a single platform. Who knows what that's at now.

Not that I'm trying to downplay sales numbers for GOW because I fucking loved that game, just wanted to point out that AC:NH sold better, in a significantly less amount of time.

//DEVIL//

There is something wrong with me then. The game is honestly good but not great. Killing pumpkins isn’t that impressive. Specially with the lack of big bosses too ( and repetitive design / bosses ) .

the game is nothing compared to God of war 3 . And I am assuming it’s because of different direction.
Cory Barlog ( that’s his name I believe right ?)
Was crying when the reviews went up. Like it’s kinda even him self couldn’t believe his game is that good lol.
Don’t get me wrong I love the guy. He is humble and down to earth and the game is still a good, enjoyable and worth every $ for it ( paid full price ). But no, god of war 3 is a masterpiece.

I play god of war to enjoy angry Kratos , not father one. God of war ps4 didn’t even make me feel he is a god in the game . Could be just random dude.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Guys, hardcore pc fans will never touch a console. I work in a building full of serious pc users. They would rather buy a new GPU or other component.
there are so many good games on PC they are not starved for content. This move from Sony is to capitilise on that. No one is rushing out to buy a ps5 to play god of war ragnarok who is hardcore pc. They will play something else for two to three years then pick it up once it comes to their preferred platform.

its Proven time and time again by the ceiling that is console sales.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I mean, it's impressive, but it's less impressive when you compare sales to Animal Crossing: New Horizons which as of March 31st, 2021 had sold 35.9 million copies. Also on a single platform. Who knows what that's at now.

Not that I'm trying to downplay sales numbers for GOW because I fucking loved that game, just wanted to point out that AC:NH sold better, in a significantly less amount of time.
How is that not downplaying it?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Guys, hardcore pc fans will never touch a console. I work in a building full of serious pc users. They would rather buy a new GPU or other component.
there are so many good games on PC they are not starved for content. This move from Sony is to capitilise on that. No one is rushing out to buy a ps5 to play god of war ragnarok who is hardcore pc. They will play something else for two to three years then pick it up once it comes to their preferred platform.

Yep. I’ve known many PC gamers over the years, they would never buy a console. On the other hand, console gamers I’ve known have no issues switching to PCs mid way through a gen. I’ve known this bunch of guys for three gens now.

Besides, Jim Ryan came out and said the main objective is to reach Hundreds of millions of players. It’s not too bring them into the ps eco system. It’s to bring the ps IP to them.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Phil and him get together one day and sign a deal to have a one console future going forward. Sony keeps a cut of all digital sales while ms gets to sell their gamepass to everyone.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There is something wrong with me then. The game is honestly good but not great. Killing pumpkins isn’t that impressive. Specially with the lack of big bosses too ( and repetitive design / bosses ) .

the game is nothing compared to God of war 3 . And I am assuming it’s because of different direction.
Cory Barlog ( that’s his name I believe right ?)
Was crying when the reviews went up. Like it’s kinda even him self couldn’t believe his game is that good lol.
Don’t get me wrong I love the guy. He is humble and down to earth and the game is still a good, enjoyable and worth every $ for it ( paid full price ). But no, god of war 3 is a masterpiece.

I play god of war to enjoy angry Kratos , not father one. God of war ps4 didn’t even make me feel he is a god in the game . Could be just random dude.
Gow3 is great and does some things better but GoW 2018 is better in almost every other way. Better story. Better combat. Way Better level design. Way better arc for Kratos. Angry kratos was one dimensional and attempts to redeem him at the end of gow3 fell flat. The guy brutally murders a half naked woman just to solve a puzzle and I’m supposed to feel bad at him unable to reconnect with his daughter, sure.

Gow3 excels at boss fights and setpieces. But those only make up 4 hours of a 10 hour campaign. GoW’s 30 hour campaign is simply stronger and far more consistent. And I say this as someone who gave gow3 my goty in 2010 and had gow as runner up to rdr2 in 2018.

Mozza

Nintendo themselves are not that good when you factor those flops, those flops happen for a reason.

For their exact scenario sure, but I'm sure consumers would likely want more choice.

Its also because not much competition exist on the platform compared to PS4 bud, it makes sense why the platforms main sellers are just Nintendo, they not getting AC or Battlefield etc

Sony has games for all groups, not simply some regardless of sales.
So why do some franchised on the Nintendo platforms not sell as well as others, as you would think the Switch for example, having no competition on the console and no games apart from the Nintendo first party titles, that all their IP's would sell Animal crossing and Mario kart 8 numbers, I think it has a lot more to do with Nintendo aiming their platforms since the gamecube at a much wider demographic.

In Sony's case I do agree their are more third party and first party studio games coming out so therefore the competition for sales is strong, but pretty sure they do not all get released at the same time and yet some perform much better than others, The last of us 2 did decent sales, but is eclipsed by God of war, just guess that game appeals to the audience more.

Last edited:

John Wick

They won't port everything else. Many of these ports are baits to make people get the console (or PS Now in a gazillion years) if they want to play the sequel.

Or well, also to promote their tv shows or movies. I think the next one announced will be the TLOU 1 remake, probably bundled with TLOU2 and to be released H2 2022, to be on PC some months before its TV series get released. Similar to Horizon or GOW and their sequels or with Uncharted and its movie.
They will port most of their titles that they expect to sell well on PC. So expect games like TLOU2 and Horizon 2. They just won't be day and date with console. Maybe 1 year later.

AC:NH is even more impressive when you consider the fact that it sold the vast majority of its copies at full price, and the rest of its copies at like 40 bucks because Nintendo games are never cheaper. We're talking something close to two billion dollars in revenue. Utterly insane.

Bragr

Banned
AC:NH is even more impressive when you consider the fact that it sold the vast majority of its copies at full price, and the rest of its copies at like 40 bucks because Nintendo games are never cheaper. We're talking something close to two billion dollars in revenue. Utterly insane.
2 billion? why you say that?

So spiderman, the last of us and God of war 20M seller's. This is why sony don't put them day 1 on ps now.

Uncharted 4 is probably up there as well.
Sony's 1st party games have multiplied in sales from the PS3 gen and there's no reason to believe that's going to change anytime soon.

That's why putting their games on PSNow makes no sense to them.

Even Horizon, a 1st entry sold like 12M in its first 2 or 3 years right?

Sony's 1st party games have multiplied in sales from the PS3 gen and there's no reason to believe that's going to change anytime soon.

Horizon did 10 million as of Feb 2019. I would bet my other testicle it's over 12 million now especially with the PC release. I think closer to 15 million at this point.

DonF

Good, the game is fucking brilliant in all senses. Great structure, combat, graphics, sound, length, challenge. It's been a long time since I've been so impressed by a game overall.

Kerotan

Yep. Plus I want to be owning my games not renting them for a fiver or tenner every month.

PS2 exclusives 2M high end
PS3 exclusives 5M high end
PS4 exclusives 20M high end
PS5 exclusives (w/ PC now) 30M high end I suspect we will see with games like Spider-Man
This can't be stated enough.

Not even gta was selling 20 million plus on the ps2.(It did when you combine platforms).

In the ps1 era I think only gran turismo and final fantasy VII got close to 10 million.

Just Sony has released seven 10 million plus games this generation.

If we look at multiple platforms today it gets in crazier. Ubisoft have released a dozen 10 million plus games just off the top of my head.

People overhype the ps2 selling 150 million units way too much. It started at 300 dollars and had to be cut to 99 dollars to eventually get there. It shows on there balance sheet as well it generated less profit than the ps1.

Meanwhile ps4 hasn't gone below 300 dollars and its generated more profit than the ps1 and ps2 in a single year!

yurinka

They will port most of their titles that they expect to sell well on PC. So expect games like TLOU2 and Horizon 2. They just won't be day and date with console. Maybe 1 year later.
1 year is too soon and to make it with most of their main games would make many people to avoid PS5 and instead wait for the PC port. That would negatively affect console sales so 3rd party game sales in PS, their main revenue and profit source.

I think it will be better for them to wait 2+ years (once they totally milked them on PS with discounts, PS Plus, PS Now, etc) and to port only some of the games they think have the best sales potential on PC.

In addition to this, you have to remember that in PC Steam gets the 30% cut while when selling that same game on PS Sony gets the 100%.

Topher

Gold Member

Agree. This is why Sony will not release their games day one on PC. Sony has the ability to hype and release their games twice. From a PR perspective, that is a big deal in advertising their brand. It is a lot like the old days when a movie became available on DVD. That was a big deal. Here we are almost four years after God of War first released and it is at the forefront of conversation once again.

On the flip side of some PC gamers never touching consoles, I would say the majority of console gamers don't care about PC gaming. That's why this argument that "no need to buy a PS/Xbox" due to games being on PC doesn't make any sense. Few of us have the option to game on either console or PC. Console gamers are not going to suddenly build a PC just because God of War is available on Steam three or four years later.

Overall, console first party games being on PC is a win/win for everybody involved.

Swift_Star

Banned
Jim Ryan: Look you PlayStation faithful, take this framerate BC patch for PS5 and like it!

Jim Ryan: Hello PC folks! Look what we got for you. God of War! True 4k resolution! Better shadows, improved reflections, new graphics options! Ultra Wide screen support! Plus DLSS! It's the definitive version! All only for 49.99!

PlayStation faithful: ugh wait a minute, what about us? All we get is a framerate patch? Not even native 4k?:mad: We're the ones who pushed your sales to 19.55 million! You don't care about us?:messenger_crying:

Jim Ryan: Fine you little s***s, we'll give you a native PS5 version. $69.99!:):pie_raybans:

PlayStation faithful:
shocked.png
Checkerboard is good enough though.

Bragr

Banned
Think he is taking 60 usd as the average price. I don't know if we know the Nintendo published averaged price vs Sony one, I suspect that Nintendo is higher but unsure what range.
They don't even get half of 60 dollars per game. Sony gets less. That's why subscriptions are such a big deal, it's a bigger money maker than games.

GoW is one of those few examples of taking risks and changing substantially your game formula has paid off. It was a huge gamble, but I think it's quality speaks volumes about their efforts on reviving the franchise.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Yeah and hardcore console fans will never touch a PC, don't think the majority of PC/Console players are like that though.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
A fantastic game, looking forward to replaying it on PC, if it's anything like Horizon (after 6 months of patches) it will be fantastic. I know they already announced some serious upgrades in terms of textures and performance for PC so if you haven't played it yet, I would recommend it.

Also as a "Hard Core" PC player (do none hardcore have a 360mm AIO'd 5900x OC's to 5.0Ghz, 32GB of corsair 4000mhz ram, a RTX 3080 Strix OC on a X570-E Strix MB linked to 2x 2TB 980 pro M.2's powered by a corsair RM1000x? Yeah didn't think so) I find it a shame that so many people feel like this is a Console vs PC issue on upcoming Sony games. Like I enjoyed God of War on my PS4 Pro and later my PS5 after the patch, can I also not enjoy it on my vastly more powerful PC?

We do exist.

Last edited:

EDMIX

So why do some franchised on the Nintendo platforms not sell as well as others
The statement is not to be seen as a literal, as in all Nintendo IP will move xyz amount of units or something, of course the game still needs to be quality, the market still needs to demand it to have move units etc.
In Sony's case I do agree their are more third party and first party studio games coming out so therefore the competition for sales is strong, but pretty sure they do not all get released at the same time and yet some perform much better than others
They do not all come out at the same time, but gamers still have budgets regardless. It means what ever came out that year, near the ending of the year even with sales, gamers need to choose what they want and don't want that year, so even with not all coming out at the same time, gamers still are going to budget based on what they want more and let other titles slide into next year or used later down the line etc. Look at Far Cry 6 for example, I'm buying BF2042 this year, just cause Far Cry 6 came out before BF, doesn't mean I'll buy it, my budget is at its max and I'll only buy BF and maybe something else if some surprise shows up lol

We'll budget regardless.
The last of us 2 did decent sales, but is eclipsed by God of war
The Last Of Us 2 has 1 year of sales, God Of War has almost 4.

Talk to us in 3 years about that statement to give a fair assessment.

Keep in mind, its on track to out sell God Of War, its literally number 3 top grossing PS game in history, not on PS4 alone....in history for PlayStation and it did that in literally months, not years. It means within its opening month it moved something crazy like 7 million. 4 million physical to retail, 2.8 million PSN downloads beating out Spiderman's opening month.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...s-third-highest-grossing-game-ever-in-the-us/

So I'd say it makes no sense to even comment on it being eclipsed by a game that is going to be 4 years old, when it has not been given the same time frame. They are likely waiting to update those sales when that Directors Cut comes or PC version comes sorta like how we saw with God Of War coming to PC.

John Wick

Agree. This is why Sony will not release their games day one on PC. Sony has the ability to hype and release their games twice. From a PR perspective, that is a big deal in advertising their brand. It is a lot like the old days when a movie became available on DVD. That was a big deal. Here we are almost four years after God of War first released and it is at the forefront of conversation once again.

On the flip side of some PC gamers never touching consoles, I would say the majority of console gamers don't care about PC gaming. That's why this argument that "no need to buy a PS/Xbox" due to games being on PC doesn't make any sense. Few of us have the option to game on either console or PC. Console gamers are not going to suddenly build a PC just because God of War is available on Steam three or four years later.

Overall, console first party games being on PC is a win/win for everybody involved.
The cost of a decent gaming PC will always stop people from buying them. A console is the same price as a mid/high range GPU.

John Wick

The statement is not to be seen as a literal, as in all Nintendo IP will move xyz amount of units or something, of course the game still needs to be quality, the market still needs to demand it to have move units etc.

They do not all come out at the same time, but gamers still have budgets regardless. It means what ever came out that year, near the ending of the year even with sales, gamers need to choose what they want and don't want that year, so even with not all coming out at the same time, gamers still are going to budget based on what they want more and let other titles slide into next year or used later down the line etc. Look at Far Cry 6 for example, I'm buying BF2042 this year, just cause Far Cry 6 came out before BF, doesn't mean I'll buy it, my budget is at its max and I'll only buy BF and maybe something else if some surprise shows up lol

We'll budget regardless.

The Last Of Us 2 has 1 year of sales, God Of War has almost 4.

Talk to us in 3 years about that statement to give a fair assessment.

Keep in mind, its on track to out sell God Of War, its literally number 3 top grossing PS game in history, not on PS4 alone....in history for PlayStation and it did that in literally months, not years. It means within its opening month it moved something crazy like 7 million. 4 million physical to retail, 2.8 million PSN downloads beating out Spiderman's opening month.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...s-third-highest-grossing-game-ever-in-the-us/

So I'd say it makes no sense to even comment on it being eclipsed by a game that is going to be 4 years old, when it has not been given the same time frame. They are likely waiting to update those sales when that Directors Cut comes or PC version comes sorta like how we saw with God Of War coming to PC.
I'll predict that the TLOU2 will be a massive hit on PC when it eventually comes out. It's more suited for the PC player.

Top Bottom