• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces "Perfect for PS5" Sony TVs

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Gradients are not good on lg in general, that's their main downside atm. Sony has great gradients, so maybe next year see what sony offers if that really bothers you. Although, Sony's motion is currently worse than LG so, trade off.

I hope Sony can match LG's artifact free motion interpolation on c1 and match 2017 sony tvs in smoothness, because they've gone backwards. I'm less confident that lg can fix their gradation smoothness.
I don't think Sony had 48" 2021 model... only older 2020 for much more than c1

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Doesn't their ALLM implementation only work with PS5 and not XSX even though XSX supports ALLM?

Sounds like they are doing the same thing with their HDR thing.

I wonder if the VRR delay has been them trying to figure out how to make it only work with PS5? lol

Last edited:

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member

Software updates by late 2021​

Sony's 2021 high-end LCD TVs (X90J, X95J and Z9J) and OLED TVs (A80J, A90J) will be the first models to support the two new features that will be added through a software update by the end of 2021. PS5 will also require a software update.

- "Auto HDR Tone Mapping and Auto Genre Picture Mode will be available via a software update on PS5 and BRAVIA TVs by the end of 2021," the company said.

Furthermore, Sony's new HT-A7000 and HT-A5000 soundbars will gain support for the new features through a software update in spring 2022.
My A90J and HT-A9 are ready :messenger_smiling_horns: I'm mostly excited for HGIG support and to see what the difference is between that and turning DTM off. Right now, the A90J tone mapping options mute some of the colors (for anyone who wants to test, go to the Flamelurker room and switch between modes).

Also, not sure when this changed but the site now reads:
  1. Software updates on both PlayStation®5 and BRAVIA are required, and will be available by end of January 2022.
  2. Sony's BRAVIA XR TVs are an excellent match for an array of Sony's sound products, such as the HT-A9 Home Theater System or the HT-A7000 and HT-A5000 soundbars.
  3. Software updates on PS5, BRAVIA TV and sound products are required to access Auto HDR Tone Mapping and Auto Genre Picture Mode, available Spring 2022.
So for anyone with the HT-A9 or HT-A7000/50000 you can expect the update by "spring" 2022, and the TV/PS5 updates by the end of January 2022 at the latest. Weird there's no mention of VRR.

Urban

Still love my x900h but this kinda makes me angry^^

edit: at the bottom of the official site it states also:

1. Applicable models: all BRAVIA XR models, X85J, X80J and X90H.

yeah all the features come to the x90h too! NICE

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Sonys non-OLED tvs aren't even beating the Hisense U8G

and sonys OLEDS are cost prohibitive and are still (mostly) bested by the LG C1 at a much cheaper price

sony/samsung(hdr 10+ who? lol) have priced themselves out of relevance people are spending extra for the brand name at this point

I hope they can go back to that 2017 level of quality next year

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Nice thanks for pointing that my new Xh9096 (the naming is different in europe I believe) is ready for it.
By the way HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 there was an update for my TV last night I haven't checked what it does yet beside switching to android tv 10 but it also says at the latest they would have an update for the TV and ps5 by the end of january 2022.

kyliethicc

My A90J and HT-A9 are ready :messenger_smiling_horns: I'm mostly excited for HGIG support and to see what the difference is between that and turning DTM off. Right now, the A90J tone mapping options mute some of the colors (for anyone who wants to test, go to the Flamelurker room and switch between modes).

Also, not sure when this changed but the site now reads:
  1. Software updates on both PlayStation®5 and BRAVIA are required, and will be available by end of January 2022.
  2. Sony's BRAVIA XR TVs are an excellent match for an array of Sony's sound products, such as the HT-A9 Home Theater System or the HT-A7000 and HT-A5000 soundbars.
  3. Software updates on PS5, BRAVIA TV and sound products are required to access Auto HDR Tone Mapping and Auto Genre Picture Mode, available Spring 2022.
So for anyone with the HT-A9 or HT-A7000/50000 you can expect the update by "spring" 2022, and the TV/PS5 updates by the end of January 2022 at the latest. Weird there's no mention of VRR.
E1WQsra.jpg

kyliethicc

Nice catch.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 looks like your X900H will get these updates too.

Not sure why they hid that in the footnotes but these features will also be added to the X900H (or XH90) 2020 model, and the X80J and X85J 2021 models.

Mr Moose

I see 0 reason to buy this over a LG CX or C1 for gaming. No VRR no 4k/120.
Which one?

Nice catch.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 looks like your X900H will get these updates too.

Not sure why they hid that in the footnotes but these features will also be added to the X900H (or XH90) 2020 model, and the X80J and X85J 2021 models.

Beta (with VRR) available now.
Sony's new firmware update (v6.1288) finally brings HDMI 2.1 VRR and ALLM to X900H and XH90. Here are direct download links for Europe, North America, and other regions.
Update 6.10.2021: The update is now officially available from the Sony UK support page and Sony USA support page. It will also start rolling out over-the-air to your TV's built-in update function but it may take a while before it reaches all Sony X900H / XH90 TVs.
Update: In statements made to FlatpanelsHD Sony warns that the first VRR firmware is not final: "VRR has not been officially released for BRAVIA TVs. You can choose the VRR mode in the TV menu, but you may experience bugs. For the smoothest experience, we recommend waiting until VRR is officially released on BRAVIA TVs later this year," said Sony. The first update will be pushed out between October 6 and 13, and the second update for VRR will arrive later this year.

As for VRR on other models, Sony said: "The timing is still under consideration, but we can assure you that the update will arrive later this year."

Last edited:

Amaranty

People are reporting that the VRR update (if VRR is turned on) for X900H disables local dimming. I wonder if that is also the case with X90J. Sucks if true...

Nothing is more confusing than HDR settings, so I'm glad this is coming out for my X90J. I only wish that more than 2 of the HDMI ports were 2.1, or that someone would release an HDMI switcher that supports 4K/120FPS.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People are reporting that the VRR update (if VRR is turned on) for X900H disables local dimming. I wonder if that is also the case with X90J. Sucks if true...
It’s a bug and some people said it seemed to correct itself already. There is a second update later in the year.

DeepSpace5D

I really want an A80J after seeing one in person. It is an absolutely gorgeous panel. But ultimately I think I’m leaning towards a QN90A to double as a computer monitor with no risk of burn in. Been mulling this one over for a couple months and I still go back and forth, but come black friday I will get one of these two TVs.

Hawk269

Where is the VRR update for the a80/a90? Those have had 2 changes. Right before launch it was Summer 2021, then they changed it to Winter 2021....now there is no mention of it and they are going to release ALLM/HGiG? WTF Sony!

Lognor

Banned
Jesus, no mention of vrr. It's been close to a year already. Come the fuck on!

I've been trying to decide between the a80j and lg c1. They're both on sale now and I was leaning toward the a80j since don't said vrr is coming, but now based on this messaging it makes me think it'll be a long time yet. I'm not spending over $3,000 for promises. Sony needs to fucking deliver.

Or worst case I'll wait until next year and hope that lg improves their picture quality or Sony improves on the gaming side.

farmerboy

Jesus, no mention of vrr. It's been close to a year already. Come the fuck on!

I've been trying to decide between the a80j and lg c1. They're both on sale now and I was leaning toward the a80j since don't said vrr is coming, but now based on this messaging it makes me think it'll be a long time yet. I'm not spending over $3,000 for promises. Sony needs to fucking deliver.

Or worst case I'll wait until next year and hope that lg improves their picture quality or Sony improves on the gaming side.
The x900h tvs are getting vrr. I think this has been confirmed. Newer tvs should follow soon.

Last edited:
I wonder if Tim Sweeney knows about this. He's not a fan of companies promoting itself on its own hardware. He's got to have a say in this somewhere I bet.
Article today about Apple promoting it's own music service on the iphone. Tim Sweeney not a fan of Apple promoting an Apple service on an Apple product.
Now I hear about Sony promoting something from Sony on a Sony product. Is Tim Sweeney a fan?
I Gotta know. /s

LOLCats

Banned
Okay soony. These are the little things that tick me off...

I mean where the fuck vrr guys I mean really.

Last edited:

RCU005

No mini led though. :(

Anyways it's great hgig is coming, and very needed for hdr. Everyone should get that update.

I bought an X950G TV in 2019 because I rather wait for MiniLED or MicroLED TVs to be more mainstream (although MicroLED will take more time, I suppose). I'm very happy with the TV, and even though it would be amazing to have an OLED right now, I don't care waiting several years for a MicroLED.

Esppiral

Doesn't their ALLM implementation only work with PS5 and not XSX even though XSX supports ALLM?

Sounds like they are doing the same thing with their HDR thing.

I wonder if the VRR delay has been them trying to figure out how to make it only work with PS5? lol
It works with Xbox sX too, tried myself.

I bought an X950G TV in 2019 because I rather wait for MiniLED or MicroLED TVs to be more mainstream (although MicroLED will take more time, I suppose). I'm very happy with the TV, and even though it would be amazing to have an OLED right now, I don't care waiting several years for a MicroLED.
950g is honestly better than the 2020 and 2021 mid range sony lcd's. Except in hdr games, regarding the 2021 sets, but only because of them adding hgig soon via this update. 950g is better out of the box all round. Which is kinda depressing, Sony, but oh well.

You may or may not know, but if you set your 4k games console to output 1080p (with sony hdmi 2.0 tvs like your 950g), you'll get better image quality in hdr games vs outputting in 4k.

YCoCg

It's nice that Sony are acknowledging these features exist and are finally bringing them to PS5 but it still does suck in a way that they didn't include it until their own TV's had the features, and we're still not seeing VRR or 1440p support.

ZywyPL

Banned
Before Sony implements all HDMI 2.1 features the rest manufacturers will be already on HDMI 3... So glad I decided to finally ditch Sony last year and went with LG, not only everything you'd ever want is already working out of the box, but they even keep adding more and more stuff.

smbu2000

LG is working downward. They have a 48" on the market now.

42" OLED is on the way next.

Sony OLEDs are still 55" and up.

They don't have 48" OLEDs? In Japan, Sony sells a 48" OLED TV. It was one of the 48" OLED TVs that I was looking at near the end of last year/beginning of this year when I bought my new TV, along with Sharp and Toshiba 48" OLED TVs. I ended up going with the 48" LG CX because it had a better feature set than the others. (C1 wasn't out at that time.)
I was looking at a Panasonic OLED, but the smallest they had at the time was 55" and I didn't want a 55". My previous Toshiba OLED was 55" and it was just too big for where I wanted it.

Cherrypepsi

My 2019 LG B9 has 4 HDMI 2.1 ports, VRR, HGIG and ALLM - and it was the entry level OLED of LGs lineup.
Does that mean I have a Perfect for PS5 TV?

It seems like they want to brute force the synergy between the playstation brand and the bravia brand - but the chemistry is just not there.
They realised that the other manufacturers were offering all these features at a lower price and then decided to hold back PS5 essential features until they could make this brilliant marketing move so that nobody gets it until they offer it?
It's so cringe

Top Bottom