• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces "Perfect for PS5" Sony TVs

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Still love my x900h but this kinda makes me angry^^

edit: at the bottom of the official site it states also:

1. Applicable models: all BRAVIA XR models, X85J, X80J and X90H.

yeah all the features come to the x90h too! NICE
Spoke with my sony rep and he confirmed the x900h will see these features.

Lognor

Banned
The x900h tvs are getting vrr. I think this has been confirmed. Newer tvs should follow soon.

Then it's weird that vrr was not mentioned here, especially since it's supposed to come to PS5 as well. And based on what I've read, the vrr implementation on other Sony sets has been very poor. So I'm holding out until it's implemented to see how it works.

nikolino840

If GT7 has giant bright sunlight like that. but needs HGIG to fix, there's something wrong with GT7 daytime visuals to begin with.

Never the less, more gaming features added to TVs the better. Always good to have options. I'd wait until the features actually available to update instead of buying and waiting. You never knew if a TV OS update will be on time.

I have a 900e and the OS updates come out at totally random times. And one update they said would fix the arc sound issues didnt fix on my set up. And for people who had the issue stemming from the Oreo 8 OS update, we all had to wait for the post patch that came over a year later.
I think is just an example of bad setting

FMX

Why are they having so much trouble with VRR when everyone else has it even the budget brands. Something isn’t right. This perfect for PS5 sounds like crap. Sony needs to realize that they are not getting by on name brand anymore. Hell the X95J costs more than the C1 and it has less features than the C1.

Last edited:

Keihart

Auto HDR tone mapping?
That sounds fucking cool, although i wonder how competent it would be since every piece of media calibrates it different, like, every movie and game has some different standard making individual calibrations options per game so valuable.

HoofHearted

With the recent price drops on both the A80J and LG C1 - I finally bit the bullet and bought both to setup and compare side by side to determine which one I wanted to keep and replace my current X900E (now being relegated to my home office TV).

Caveat - I'm a huge Sony TV fan - I have owned many different sets (since the Trinitron days) and have always enjoyed each of them. Usually when I decide to buy a new set - I've always done a similar side-by-side comparison with top competitive sets with the Sony and the Sony always won.

This time however - I came away more impressed with the LG C1 offering and ended up taking the A80J back. Typical reasons you see across the interwebz - the biggest impact being the lackluster support by Sony (firmware updates, limitations, etc.) of it's current generation of TVs.

Side by side - they both are phenomenal TVs - Sony certainly has a slight lead in PQ - but only in specific content/formats. Playing both consoles on the A80J and C1 didn't yield much difference in overall PQ, but it's a significant difference with the ability to run XSX with full 120HZ / DV support. I hadn't realized just how much OLEDs have advanced over the years and I'm extremely impressed with the technology.

Hell - I'm even impressed with how good Dirt5 actually looks on certain courses / races.. :). That game has come quite a way over this past year from #mudgate..

It's certainly nice to see Sony finally publishing that it's going to support these features officially - but it all feels "too little, too late".

Continuing this pattern of providing a mixture of lackluster hardware and firmware support for HDMI 2.1 directly impacts what is arguably some of Sony's best offerings to date.

Maybe next time around in a few years when I decide to retire the LG C1 from the living room to secondary room status - Sony will have a come around and addressed all of these issues.

kyliethicc

Auto HDR tone mapping?
That sounds fucking cool, although i wonder how competent it would be since every piece of media calibrates it different, like, every movie and game has some different standard making individual calibrations options per game so valuable.
Pretty sure it just auto selects the HDR tone mapping mode (from settings) for your TV.

Its not some advanced new form of tone mapping.

Like the 2021 XR models (A80J, X90J, etc) have 3 options - gradiation preferred, brightness preferred, and off.

Basically it should just help make the TV work a bit better with HGIG devices like PS4&5.

Rea

Cool, my A80J can't wait for it.
I think Auto tone mapping is more like dynamic tone mapping tuned with PS5. Currently the default setting is dynamic tone mapping set to TV itself.

kyliethicc

Cool, my A80J can't wait for it.
I think Auto tone mapping is more like dynamic tone mapping tuned with PS5. Currently the default setting is dynamic tone mapping set to TV itself.
Right now the A80J doesn't have an HGIG toggle in settings.

The idea of HGIG is to allow the user to calibrate HDR via the console system settings, providing 3 key data points about HDR on their display to the console to pass along to both the TV and the games.

The problem is TVs use tone mapping to avoid clipping and losing detail, which is of course a good thing for watching content, but it also means to properly calibrate and give these 3 data points, users need to be able to disable tone mapping and allow clipping to find the limits of their display. That's what enabling HGIG on the TV should allow.

For now, to calibrate a PS4/5 on your A80J, you have to disable tone mapping in your TV settings, which is about as useful as enabling HGIG, but then need to enable it back on after finishing for the best image quality. I suspect this auto tone mapping feature will simply allow A80J users to use the PS5's HGIG calibration feature better without needing to mess with the TV's settings.

Last edited:

Rea

Right now the A80J doesn't have an HGIG toggle in settings.

The idea of HGIG is to allow the user to calibrate HDR via the console system settings, providing 3 key data points about HDR on their display to the console to pass along to both the TV and the games.

The problem is TVs use tone mapping to avoid clipping and losing detail, which is of course a good thing for watching content, but it also means to properly calibrate and give these 3 data points, users need to be able to disable tone mapping and allow clipping to find the limits of their display. That's what enabling HGIG on the TV should allow.

For now, to calibrate a PS4/5 on your A80J, you have to disable tone mapping in your TV settings, which is about as useful as enabling HGIG, but then need to enable it back on after finishing for the best image quality. I suspect this auto tone mapping feature will simply allow A80J users to use the PS5's HGIG calibration feature better without needing to mess with the TV's settings.
Yes, I understand hows HGIG works, but for new XR chips, the tone mapping is different from traditional TVs HDR tone mapping. The XR chips adjust the tone mapping on the fly as the video is being render. It is probably same like dynamic tone mapping in LGs Oled but more advance. I can set that setting to off which will make image quality worse. Currently LG tvs can set to HGIG to allow PS5 to set the tone mapping but Sony's tv doesn't have HGIG right now.
My point is, in this new update Sony TV will allow HGIG but probably will disabled their advanced dynamic tone mapping for Xbox or PC, but for PS5 their advanced tone mapping will be turned with PS5 to have better contrast and image quality.
Could be wrong though. Maybe you're right, it might just be a simple HGIG with auto switch.

Kagey K

Banned
Yes, I understand hows HGIG works, but for new XR chips, the tone mapping is different from traditional TVs HDR tone mapping. The XR chips adjust the tone mapping on the fly as the video is being render. It is probably same like dynamic tone mapping in LGs Oled but more advance. I can set that setting to off which will make image quality worse. Currently LG tvs can set to HGIG to allow PS5 to set the tone mapping but Sony's tv doesn't have HGIG right now.
My point is, in this new update Sony TV will allow HGIG but probably will disabled their advanced dynamic tone mapping for Xbox or PC, but for PS5 their advanced tone mapping will be turned with PS5 to have better contrast and image quality.
Could be wrong though. Maybe you're right, it might just be a simple HGIG with auto switch.
It probably going to be a setting on your PS5, set the lowest nits, set the highest nits and we will figure out the rest.

Similar to how it’s done already on other systems.

I wouldnt expect them to change the wheel, right out of the gate as they seem to lack some understanding as to how the wheel works in the first place.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

It probably going to be a setting on your PS5, set the lowest nits, set the highest nits and we will figure out the rest.

I wouldnt expect them to change the wheel, right out of the gate as they seem to lack some understanding as to how the wheel works in the first place.
Lol you have no idea what you're talking about.

The PS4 has had HGIG support and HDR calibration for years. And the PS5 has it too, from launch.

This is a TV feature ... being added to TVs.

Rea

PS5 already has it now. Sony 1st party studios support HGIG standards in their games. If you have LG OLED, there's no problem. Its Sony TVs are lacking HGIG. It's really just a simple setting on the TV, i really wonder why their 2021 flagships tvs don't have HGIG out of the box. Maybe the upcoming update does more than HGIG support in their XR tv, that's why they are delaying?.
I don't know.

Kerotan

The difference between 49" and 55" is so satisfying for me. 49" was good but 55" and higher is where it's at.

Top Bottom