• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Begins Rollout of VRR & ALLM Firmware Update for the X900H HDMI 2.1 TV

Kilau

Gold Member
Have to see how this is finally implemented. I don’t even use freesync on my monitor and prefer to just lock frames.

kyliethicc

Yes and sony can change their plans like they probably already did when people expected to have vrr at ps5 launch date.

They are not exactly trustworthy when it comes to vrr implementation if their TVs are something to go by.
Sony explicitly said from the jump that VRR would be added to PS5 post launch

"Does PS5 support VRR?
PS5 hardware supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through HDMI 2.1. After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR."

Last edited:

GymWolf

"Does PS5 support VRR?
PS5 hardware supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through HDMI 2.1. After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR."
My mistake.

Still, not trusting any release date until i can actually download the damn vrr patch, i prefer to be pessimistic and being surprised than the opposite.

GymWolf

That isn't to suggest that games will really take advantage of this though.
Not in every tv, but for example vrr on a c1 works even on the 20-40 frames frequency so even unstable 30 frames are gonna enjoy vrr.

For stuff like returnal it would be already super good to mask the framerate being uneven AF.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

"Does PS5 support VRR?
I can already see it, games that would need VRR will simply not have it - all for nothing.

Not in every tv, but for example vrr on a c1 works even on the 20-40 frames frequency so even unstable 30 frames are gonna enjoy vrr.

For stuff like returnal it would be already super good to mask the framerate being uneven AF.
How many games have unstable 30 fps at this point?

GymWolf

How many games have unstable 30 fps at this point?
You can always fuck up the framerate especially in open world games.

Right now we have crossgen games and games that don't fully utilize the console, just wait for when games are gonna suck dry 110% of performances from these machines.

And if you think it is useless for 30 fps games, a lot of games with uneven 60 frames out there, returnal was one example, and that one is a first party sony, usually pretty polished games, give it some time and you are gonna have performance modes where you only have 60 frames when you look to a wall or the sky, don't forget the majority of performances modes from past gens that were pretty terrible.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Are you really going to let Sony get over on you? Send that TV back. I would.
Yeah, no. I have this set in the 85" version and it's brilliant. I couldn't care less about vrr and it's certainly not worth returning a tv with this performance over.

You can always fuck up the framerate especially in open world games.

Right now we have crossgen games and games that don't fully utilize the console, just wait for when games are gonna suck dry 110% of performances from these machines.

And if you think it is useless for 30 fps games, a lot of games with uneven 60 frames out there, returnal was one example, and that one is a first party sony, usually pretty polished games, give it some time and you are gonna have performance modes where you only have 60 frames when you look to a wall or the sky, don't forget the majority of performances modes from past gens that were pretty terrible.

I swear people don't read anymore.

Please actually read what I've said here, I'm not going to continue this conversation.

GymWolf

I swear people don't read anymore.

Please actually read what I've said here, I'm not going to continue this conversation.
Not sure what the hell do you mean.

you said how many games have unstable framerate and i gave you my response, not sure why you are so mad but ok, it's not like the usefulness of vrr was ever in discussion for me.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Any current ps5 games this will help when it launches?

Lots, from launch games like Dirt 5 with its very unstable 120fps right up to Tales Of Arise that struggles constantly on PS5 and Cyberpunk 2077 that still falls into the forties.
There are plenty.

Also the likes of Dying Light 2 and A Plagues Tale where Series X benefits from extra modes with much higher framerates, hopefully those modes would come to PS5.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

Bumping because my Sony X90CH (X900H) got updated with VRR support today! Can be configured on HDMI 3 and 4 ports. Connected my PC to it (RTX 3050) and now the TV shows up as a GSYNC-Compatible TV (untested), and you can apply that in the Nvidia drivers. Works great at 1080p 120hz and 4K 60hz (my cable won’t carry a 4K 120hz signal). I set my max fps to 117 in the drivers and I get zero tearing without needing vsync! Works with HDR too.

Minecraft RTX used to drop into the 50s underwater in some maps or on the city map, and in those sections it used to feel like 30fps before VRR on this TV. Very jarring going from 60 to 30. Now it feels perfect.

So check your X900H or X90CH sets for updates if you haven’t yet!

Bumping because my Sony X90CH (X900H) got updated with VRR support today! Can be configured on HDMI 3 and 4 ports. Connected my PC to it (RTX 3050) and now the TV shows up as a GSYNC-Compatible TV (untested), and you can apply that in the Nvidia drivers. Works great at 1080p 120hz and 4K 60hz (my cable won’t carry a 4K 120hz signal). I set my max fps to 117 in the drivers and I get zero tearing without needing vsync! Works with HDR too.

Minecraft RTX used to drop into the 50s underwater in some maps or on the city map, and in those sections it used to feel like 30fps before VRR on this TV. Very jarring going from 60 to 30. Now it feels perfect.

let me not get my hopes up. Local dimming is enabled?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Thanks for the heads up updating now

dotnotbot

Apologies as I don’t know much about how these settings work, but auto local dimming is set to Medium but grayed out. Several of my pictures settings are grayed out and it’s stuck in Game Mode (which I wanted anyway for the low latency).

According to Vincent Teoh, if it's greyed out then it's off, doesn't matter what it says.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

So I’m not sure how HDR tech handshakes between software, OS and hardware, but Doom Eternal did allow HDR with VRR at 1080p 120hz, but Forza Horizon 5 didn’t recognize my TV as an HDR capable set. Could it have to do with your HDR settings in Windows 11?

I’ll need to mess around with this some more.

mcjmetroid

I got this update as well but I'm still finding regular video playback causes screen tearing whereas gaming works fine. What am I doing wrong

Last edited:
Top Bottom