• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Begins Rollout of VRR & ALLM Firmware Update for the X900H HDMI 2.1 TV

Reizo Ryuu

Sony commented and said this is only a test and an early revision, that if people don't want this one with bugs, to wait until their second revision is out later this year. I assume with the HDMI council certs the 2.1 spec revision.
It's going to be utterly pointless without local dimming support, so they better figure this shit out.

Lone Wolf

Sony commented and said this is only a test and an early revision, that if people don't want this one with bugs, to wait until their second revision is out later this year. I assume with the HDMI council certs the 2.1 spec revision.
I can’t seem to find any 2.1 spec revision. Everything I see says the 2.1 spec is finalized. You have any links?

Riky

$MSFT
No excuse now not to get this on PS5 so I can enjoy some smooth 120fps games, sooner the better.

Zathalus

I can’t seem to find any 2.1 spec revision. Everything I see says the 2.1 spec is finalized. You have any links?
Basically a Sony rep marketing stated they are waiting on the HDMI 2.1 VRR spec to be finalised, despite the HDMI Forum doing that years ago. When asked for proof of it not being finalised everyone just points back to the Sony marketing rep stating that, despite the fact that a marketing rep of all people is not going to admit that the TVs he are trying to sell have issues with VRR. Every single authoritative statement of the HDMI 2.1 VRR spec states that it is final.

The issue is quite plainly a problem with the SOC as this beta firmware as well as other vendors (Hisense) using the same SOC are having problems with VRR and local dimming as well.

Some people just feel the need to defend Sony on everything they do.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Going by HDTV Test and Stop the FOMO (when he has reps from manufacturers on roundtables), there is a tweak to the revision including the VRR/ALLM, etc., and that full certification is by December of this year. 2.1 still has tons of handshake issues (especially with audio), and I hope that is worked out, if true about tweaks to it.

This limited release for VRR now is a preliminary test, and there is a second official version update to VRR (according to Sony and others) later this year (lining up with the Dec date TV reps were told).

Update: In statements made to FlatpanelsHD Sony warns that the first VRR firmware is not final: "VRR has not been officially released for BRAVIA TVs. You can choose the VRR mode in the TV menu, but you may experience bugs. For the smoothest experience, we recommend waiting until VRR is officially released on BRAVIA TVs later this year," said Sony. The first update will be pushed out between October 6 and 13, and the second update for VRR will arrive later this year.

As for VRR on other models, Sony said: "The timing is still under consideration, but we can assure you that the update will arrive later this year."

I can't wait to have working VRR in the Sony TV I buy in 2025.
About the time a lot of us can finally grab a PS5, so there's that.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Basically a Sony rep marketing stated they are waiting on the HDMI 2.1 VRR spec to be finalised, despite the HDMI Forum doing that years ago. When asked for proof of it not being finalised everyone just points back to the Sony marketing rep stating that, despite the fact that a marketing rep of all people is not going to admit that the TVs he are trying to sell have issues with VRR. Every single authoritative statement of the HDMI 2.1 VRR spec states that it is final.

The issue is quite plainly a problem with the SOC as this beta firmware as well as other vendors (Hisense) using the same SOC are having problems with VRR and local dimming as well.

Some people just feel the need to defend Sony on everything they do.
Its pretty aggravating in all honesty as HDMI 2.1 is the reason I picked this TV as my main gaming TV outside of the OLED as burn in seriously concerns me.

I bought my 900H through Best Buy and got the 5 year Geek squad plan for free and have spoken with them and they have told me they would 100% refund this TV for another but still in a wait and see period how this shakes out

And I totally feel there is no good excuse from Sony not to have this up and running in some form long before this including on the PS5

Edit - Terrible spelling error :p

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Welp. It's a shame to hear that the implementation is subpar. I've been trying to decide between the A80J and the C1 for the past month, and both are on sale at the moment. But with this implementation I think I gotta go with the LG. The LG may have slightly worse picture quality (still excellent, just not as good as the Sony), but I feel like you're giving up too much on the gaming side with the A80J.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Its pretty aggravating in all honesty as HDMI 2.1 is the reason I picked this TV as my main gaming TV outside of the OLED as burn in seriously concerns me.

I bought my 900H through Best Buy and got the 5 year Gook squad plan for free and have spoken with them and they have told me they would 100% refund this TV for another but still in a wait and see period how this shakes out

And I totally feel there is no good excuse from Sony not to have this up and running in some form long before this including on the PS5
Bruce Lee GIF

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

Only a beta version after all this time is hardly ideal. I hope for owners' sakes that for all intents and purposes it works just fine
So far no issues were reported and some claim that the local dimming bug is gone and Atmos through EARC works.
Nobody knows which FW will be released in 1-2 weeks (probably the same one).
IMO the next bigger update will already be the jump to Android 11, because the lower end X750H just got an Android 11 update.

Kuranghi

I've just turned off auto update on my ZD9 because I don't think I'll get anymore benefits from firmware upgrades, if anything the last few have just given me a new interface for Android thats no faster due to the old SoC in exchange for bugs that are pretty annoying.

I get this issue now where I have to factory reset my soundbar to get HDR passthrough working properly again maybe once every couple of months, its some sort of HDR flag issue because the signal is being passed in HDR fine just the TV doesn't know that and I'd have to force it manually via the video settings menu if I don't do this "fix".

I thought it was my HDMI splitter but if I remove it from the chain when this happens it doesn't fix it. Its not the TV because going straight into the TVs HDMI ports fixes it but its definitely not just the soundbar either because some devices still pass HDR when it happens, like a 4K fire stick.

Fuck knows, I gave up trying to fix it since I can just reset the soundbar in 30 seconds.

Klayzer

Waiting for the a80j update. Awesome picture, but missing a few notable features, compared to the premium LG set. Sony is so slow with the updates, that its makes you want to punch a kitten.

Urban

People are hyping this up way too much... It has barely any use on current console.
Day of the update comes - ok, it's here. Now what
Well for me as a x900h owner it’s the feature which was promised to me. So I’m happy to finally have the complete product.

I've just turned off auto update on my ZD9 because I don't think I'll get anymore benefits from firmware upgrades, if anything the last few have just given me a new interface for Android thats no faster due to the old SoC in exchange for bugs that are pretty annoying.

I get this issue now where I have to factory reset my soundbar to get HDR passthrough working properly again maybe once every couple of months, its some sort of HDR flag issue because the signal is being passed in HDR fine just the TV doesn't know that and I'd have to force it manually via the video settings menu if I don't do this "fix".

I thought it was my HDMI splitter but if I remove it from the chain when this happens it doesn't fix it. Its not the TV because going straight into the TVs HDMI ports fixes it but its definitely not just the soundbar either because some devices still pass HDR when it happens, like a 4K fire stick.

Fuck knows, I gave up trying to fix it since I can just reset the soundbar in 30 seconds.
Good idea bro. I hope your issue wasn't caused by a firmware update.

I straight up unbox a TV and never update it unless i'm aware of a picture quality fix. X900e is on the factory firmware.

Best method is plug in ethernet for the important update, then unplug afterwards lol.

S0ULZB0URNE

That SOC isn't powerful enough to run the newer updates.
I disabled the wifi/updates after the 2nd Dolby Vision update and haven't updated since.

In your situation maybe try a simple new HDMI cord?

Yer, even my shitty PC monitor supports local dimming with VRR. I can understand why BFI and VRR aren't really compatible but local dimming has nothing to do with that.
What monitor do you have? I've been waiting for 2.1 monitors to get cheaper.

But yeah, bfi is more important than VRR if we are talking about a few fps drops here and there. If it's constant 40 to 60fps or like 80 to 120 i'd probably choose vrr. It depends on the display though. Bfi on my x900e makes a massive difference, (might not want to give bfi there up under any circumstance lol) much more than i've seen on my sony oled.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yer, even my shitty PC monitor supports local dimming with VRR. I can understand why BFI and VRR aren't really compatible but local dimming has nothing to do with that.
It depends on type of local dimming.

On OLED, pixels are tuned for 120hz. Any other range and the voltages change which affects gamma or can even look like flicker if fps change is fast.
LCDs do not suffer this but backlights might. I've seen user reports that backlight can behave similarly wrong.

You have maybe 8 dimming zones on your monitor so it's not really representable

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony has started rolling out a new firmware update to enable ALLM & VRR support on 2020's BRAVIA X900H, in the first instance for Chinese models.

Sony has started rolling out a new firmware update to enable ALLM & VRR support on 2020's BRAVIA X900H, in the first instance for Chinese models.

Advantages of the new version​

This software upgrade will update all previous software versions to
" PKG6.1288.****CNA "

And provide the following advantages:
l Improvement:

-Upgrade the Android system version to Android 10

-Adopt the new version of the main user interface

-Support VRR function

-Support ALLM function

-Added "Mobile Link" application function:
It can be realized by installing the corresponding APP on the mobile phone.
For specific operations, please refer to the instructions in the "Mobile Link" application on the TV side

-Update of privacy policy content:
From April 1, 2021, the name of "Sony Vision Products Company" has been changed, so the information of the information manager in these terms will be updated simultaneously.
With immediate effect, the information collection manager will be changed from "Sony Vision Products" to "Sony Corporation"

5ozzv9.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
People like this youtuber don’t actually enjoy anything in life .

they just complain that tech y or x is not doing a or b correctly.

it’s like me trying to mod a game i will never ever play

Bro he's a professional calibrator, this is his profession. Also he's one of us.

Football Soccer GIF by Manchester United

Last edited:
Sony likes to stay 2 Android versions behind I guess. Android 10 rolling out to TV's just as Google is about to ship Android 12 in the Pixel 6 with other Android device manufacturers to follow this year. Great job keeping up there, Sony.

The Samsung QLED and Neo QLED TVs have always supported local dimming in Game Mode, although with fewer effective zones than in the various Cinema modes. But fewer zones is better than no local dimming. They also have superior input lag in all resolutions, not just native 4K.

Last edited:

Hoddi

What monitor do you have? I've been waiting for 2.1 monitors to get cheaper.

But yeah, bfi is more important than VRR if we are talking about a few fps drops here and there. If it's constant 40 to 60fps or like 80 to 120 i'd probably choose vrr. It depends on the display though. Bfi on my x900e makes a massive difference, (might not want to give bfi there up under any circumstance lol) much more than i've seen on my sony oled.
It's an LG 27GN950. It's pretty decent as far as monitors go and was definitely worth it in that regard. It doesn't support BFI though which I agree is a far better feature.

The newer 27GP950 is worth a look if you're in the market. It's basically the same monitor but with 2.1 support.

Hoddi

It depends on type of local dimming.

On OLED, pixels are tuned for 120hz. Any other range and the voltages change which affects gamma or can even look like flicker if fps change is fast.
LCDs do not suffer this but backlights might. I've seen user reports that backlight can behave similarly wrong.

You have maybe 8 dimming zones on your monitor so it's not really representable
I'm not really sure if this is comparable with the gamma shift on OLED TVs.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
VRR IS GREAT NOW

And overrated on optimized platforms.

But those who want to antagonize and drive by can continue their adolescence while most of us appreciate additional features.

I do hope they do continue to improve it as even on my CX it was a little bit of a transition coming from the 3080/90 launch and having a new HDMI 2.1 tv. We had to endure all the patches and fixes. Thank God it's mostly right now but the annoying things are you couldn't have all the HDMI 2.1 features all at once so be thankful these steps are being taken. It's only going to get better.

Esppiral

Been testing VRR, best thing this gen, better than HDR, 4K etc, it's just like black magic your choppy frame rate becomes silky smooth.
Anyone downplaying VRR hasn't tried it, it is transformative.

Edit: is there a way to make the TV show the VRR stats?

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Been testing VRR, best thing this gen, better than HDR, 4K etc, it's just like black magic your choppy frame rate becomes silky smooth.
Anyone downplaying VRR hasn't tried it, it is transformative.

Edit: is there a way to make the TV show the VRR stats?

Don't know about Sony but LG a few presses of the green button give you a framerate counter.

Top Bottom