• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Begins Rollout of VRR & ALLM Firmware Update for the X900H HDMI 2.1 TV

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Sony has started rolling out a new firmware update to enable ALLM & VRR support on 2020's BRAVIA X900H, in the first instance for Chinese models.

Sony has started rolling out a new firmware update to enable ALLM & VRR support on 2020's BRAVIA X900H, in the first instance for Chinese models.

Advantages of the new version​

This software upgrade will update all previous software versions to
" PKG6.1288.****CNA "

And provide the following advantages:
l Improvement:

-Upgrade the Android system version to Android 10

-Adopt the new version of the main user interface

-Support VRR function

-Support ALLM function

-Added "Mobile Link" application function:
It can be realized by installing the corresponding APP on the mobile phone.
For specific operations, please refer to the instructions in the "Mobile Link" application on the TV side

-Update of privacy policy content:
From April 1, 2021, the name of "Sony Vision Products Company" has been changed, so the information of the information manager in these terms will be updated simultaneously.
With immediate effect, the information collection manager will be changed from "Sony Vision Products" to "Sony Corporation"

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Andodalf

Banned
Hopefully this opens the door to a Ps5 update, which hopefully also has 1440p support.

did they ever fix the 4K 120 on this TV?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
People like this youtuber don’t actually enjoy anything in life .

they just complain that tech y or x is not doing a or b correctly.

it’s like me trying to mod a game i will never ever play

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Back to the drawing board for the next buzzword to troll with?
I am using gsync for like 8 years on pc. It's nothing new.
Freesync and gsync again on 48" lg c1. It's ok but with all the 30 and 60fps games I would just prefer 120hz mode for ps5 for ALL games. Like ratchet does.
As of now, vrr will be usable in like 3 titles. Death Stranding in quality mode, call of duty and dmc 120fps modes

Reizo Ryuu

Finally, but I'm still on the firmware before the annoying EU energy saving message (or at least I heard it was annoying), so I hope they tweaked it for this update.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
People are hyping this up way too much... It has barely any use on current console.
Day of the update comes - ok, it's here. Now what
A lot of the 120 fps modes in PS5 games have framedrops. This will smooth those out.

Death Stranding's native 4k 60 fps mode also has some drops during boss battles. The rest of the time the game is locked at 60 fps. So in such case, its better to play the game at a higher res since any framedrops will be unnoticable on a VRR display.

Fredrik

Back to the drawing board for the next buzzword to troll with?
I wouldn’t call it a buzzword. I’ve had gsync since it arrived, I notice when it’s off within seconds. VRR is the same thing. It’ll be super useful when the framerate can’t be locked, you literally won’t notice the framedrops unless it’s an instant spike down to like 40fps. DF will be out of work.

Only real problem with VRR is that many of us needs new TVs (and AVRs if they’re used for HDMI switching).
Do I upgrade to get VRR? Not likely. I think I’ll keep my XE9305 at least until the Pro consoles arrives.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I wouldn’t call it a buzzword. I’ve had gsync since it arrived, I notice when it’s off within seconds. VRR is the same thing. It’ll be super useful when the framerate can’t be locked, you literally won’t notice the framedrops unless it’s an instant spike down to like 40fps. DF will be out of work.

Only real problem with VRR is that many of us needs new TVs (and AVRs if they’re used for HDMI switching).
Do I upgrade to get VRR? Not likely. I think I’ll keep my XE9305 at least until the Pro consoles arrives.
I know what it is. I am talking its use in the extreme ends of the war scene.

I didn't think I had to explain this. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Banned
Hopefully this opens the door to a Ps5 update, which hopefully also has 1440p support.

did they ever fix the 4K 120 on this TV?

now they have VRR TVs, they still don't sell 1440p TVs, so 1440p will not come. the fact is they only give you the output features their consumer level TVs support, nothing else, because if they give you 1440p or even freesync support you would buy a Dell PC Monitor instead of their new shiny TV, and they can't have that happen.
their TVs must look like the best choice for your console, which they of course aren't no matter what they do, but only having the features on par with their lineup means you could think they are.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I can't for this not impact most people other than the list wars crowd lol

It's nice stuff and I've been enjoying it for a while but it's overblown when games are so well optimized these days.

I would turn off auto update and wait for the good final firmware with vrr to be ready.

It’s not a good idea to auto update a tv if it’s working fine.

NewYork214

Ok cool. Had mine since June 2020. So what will this do exactly for my ps5 when that is updated as well. And how noticeable will it be for me.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Ok cool. Had mine since June 2020. So what will this do exactly for my ps5 when that is updated as well. And how noticeable will it be for me.
VRR can reduce lag making faster response times, motion can have less stuttering and it can completely kill screen tearing.

For me when picking a platform to play a game on either the PS5 or XSX if they are close to the same visually right now I will pick it on the XSX every time in favor of VRR

TLZ

Banned
At the very least it eliminates tearing, and that's enough for me.

I wish it didn't need to have consoles with VRR though, so I could play PS360 without tearing.

Apparently enabling VRR on these sets disable local dimming. Same problem the 2021 Hisense TVs face.
LOL

Local dimming is the SINGLE most important feature of an LCD TV...

You'd have to be crazy to choose VRR (that for most games is useless) over Local dimming

Last edited:

Rivet

I'm happy it's coming to PS5 in december, not because I think it's major (it's not at all, most games are locked 60 nowadays and when it could be useful, it flickers on LG oleds like mine anyway, and very few people have a VRR TV anyway even if it worked properly without flickering), but because we'll finally stop hearing about it as an excuse in every comparison thread for inferior framerates, torn frames and stuttering.

Last edited:
I auto update since well TV started to have firmwares via internet.

Never had any issue.
That's luck then, and possibly down to brand choice. Samsung for example is notorious for gimping sets via firmware.

In principal it's just dumb to give these companies access to change something on your set whenever they want

Last edited:
Well I think most people are happy because it means they are soon going to update VRR on PS5. Those Sony TVs? VRR in beta, blurry 120hz mode, deactivated local dimming with VRR etc. Those TVs are awful.
That’s really disappointing … We can criticize the fact we lost DV on LG oled when using VRR and 120Hz, but here Sony is mocking at customers who trusted them by taking this model based on this vrr promise…

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony commented and said this is only a test and an early revision, that if people don't want this one with bugs, to wait until their second revision is out later this year. I assume with the HDMI council certs the 2.1 spec revision.

Top Bottom