• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony bought EVO - EVO Online 2021 comfirmed

Griffon

After the complete implosion of EVO last year, the future of the event was very muddy.
It seems the organization found their solution: selling to somebody else. In this case, their saviors are a joint venture partnership of Sony and RTS (an esports company apparently, not sure I ever heard of it).

With Sony at the helm, a new online event has already been set up for this summer starting August 6.
Tekken 7, SFV, MK11 and Guilty Gear Strive are the four confirmed games for the upcoming competition (more to come later).

Sony said:
With the support of world-class publishers, Evo is returning this year as Evo Online, a fully online competition taking place August 6 – 8 and 13 -15. Entry will be free, and players in North America, Europe, Asia and Latin America* will be able to compete in BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment’s Tekken 7, Capcom’s Street Fighter V: Champion Edition, Warner Bros. Games’ Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate**, and Arc System Works’ Guilty Gear -Strive- in an open format. The online qualifiers will be livestreamed for fans, and more details will be shared in the coming weeks on evo.gg.

Evo is still open to all platforms. The teams at PlayStation and RTS are enabling us to continue working with our community to support fighting games.

Last edited:

DavJay

What games did EVO developed? What IPs do they own? Is this the equivalent to Zenimax? With me asking probably not but how big are they?

Keihart

After the complete implosion of EVO last year, the future of the event was very muddy.
It seems the organization found their solution: selling to somebody else. In this case, their saviors are a joint venture partnership of Sony and RTS (an esports company apparently, not sure I ever heard of it).

With Sony at the helm, a new online event has already been set up for this summer starting August 6.
Tekken 7, SFV, MK11 and Guilty Gear Strive are the four confirmed games for the upcoming competition.
I'm kinda worried about the casters, i hope they keep bringing back the usual suspects that know the FGC and are fun instead of some souless casters like most other esports have with the odd pro player becoming a caster. I hope to see Ricksta, Markman or hell even Aris make it in the coming years.

Top Bottom