• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Bungie acquisition saw more Twitter discussion than Microsoft Activision Blizzard deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Twitter’s global head of creator and gaming content partnerships, Rishi Chadha, tweeted internal Twitter data that showed when the frequency of tweets about video games spiked throughout the past three months.

Although the information provided by Chadha doesn’t give any exact figures, it shows that there were four clear discussion peaks between January 1 and March 31 this year.

These were on the days that Microsoft announced it was acquiring Activision Blizzard, Sony announced it was acquiring Bungie, Elden Ring was released and Fortnite‘s new season started.

Twitter’s data shows that the release of Elden Ring generated the most discussion by far on the platform, likely due to the many millions of players buying the game on day one and sharing their initial impressions.

The second-most discussed topic was Sony’s acquisition of Bungie, followed by Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard, which gained slightly more buzz than Fortnite’s new season.

Chadha followed up his tweet with another showing the top 10 games tweeted about the most globally in the past three months.

Top of the list was Genshin Impact, with Wordle at number two. This is likely because Genshin Impact is enjoying success worldwide (especially in Asia), whereas Wordle is naturally mainly popular in English-speaking countries.

Elden Ring came in at number 7 in the chart, while Minecraft claimed the number 10 spot.

As others have already said, Sony playstation is clearly the bigger brand globally
True, but regardless of who buys publushers, it affects both consoles. At least usually, as it sounds like both Activision and Bungie games will continue to be released on both platforms.

I think the real reason is it just feels weird that the company that created the one franchise most associated with Xbox is now owned by PlayStation. Without Halo, and thus without Bungie, there are serious questions whether Microsoft would still be in the console business today.

Mr Moose

What's needed to be counted towards one or the other? Do you have to mention Sony + Bungie/MicroSoft + Activision to be counted towards it? Wasn't there some new DLC out at the time?

Fredrik

I personally think that Bethesda acquisition was a much bigger deal than Activision acquisition.
Activision Blizzard felt like a stupidly huge deal imo, at least until they said their games would still be multiplats. Att first people expected Call of Duty and Diablo to be exclusive to Xbox.

Only thing surprising is that Elden Ring was talked about almost as much as two major gaming acquisitions lol

Not really; Elden Ring is just a monster at this point. I'm just hoping the performance issues are patched by the time I can secure a console (when they're regularly available, tho I've been told it's not hard to get a PS5 or Series X through Walmart).

I guess there's a couple reasons why the Sony/Bungie one garnered more traction. For one it's Sony's first big "massive" gaming acquisition, whereas Microsoft already had one earlier with Zenimax. Secondly, Bungie is in a way better place in terms of public perception compared to ABK, due to its ongoing controversies. Third is due to the history Bungie have with Microsoft, so seeing them get acquired by a direct rival, combined with the conflict between Bungie and Microsoft in the past, just makes for more drama to talk about.

Plus again, I think whatever excitement about the ABK deal could bring was drowned out pretty quickly by what just seems like more and more bad news about higher-ups at that company engaging in bad behavior and practices. I do think the general prior history of seeing the results between Sony and Microsoft's prior acquisitions also play into it, but that was probably the least significant factor here.

True, but regardless of who buys publushers, it affects both consoles. At least usually, as it sounds like both Activision and Bungie games will continue to be released on both platforms.

I think the real reason is it just feels weird that the company that created the one franchise most associated with Xbox is now owned by PlayStation. Without Halo, and thus without Bungie, there are serious questions whether Microsoft would still be in the console business today.

It's probably safe to say if there was no Halo, OG Xbox and everything tied to it, mainly XBL, would not have gained any real traction. They probably would've still kept with the 360, but it would not have had the start it did because it'd have to establish certain things the OG Xbox already did. Also possible it could've had a knock-on effect and MS would've missed out on other big IP like Gears of War, too.

I don't like that particular timeline though, because it also probably means Sony would've been even slower with things like HDD default, streamlining their OS and making PSN a better offering. They kind of needed the push from 360 to learn some hard lessons with PS3 on the network & online gaming side, OS side, and readjust some cumbersome design decisions (360 was a big reason why they focused on making PS4 much easier to program for, with unified memory pool and not gimping the GPU compared to Xbox, even adding in features for async compute the XBO lacked to make up for the weaker Jaguar cores both systems would use).

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well, the CoD players are as casual as they come. They arent on social media or if they are they arent talking about video games. They only play one game a year. Bungie fans are mostly hardcore gamers who play other games and like other gamers they have a big social media presence.

Also, Playstation has a bigger install base than Xbox and a far bigger social media presence.

sendit

Oh My God Yes GIF by Naughty Dog

yurinka

Seems weird.

Maybe there was an already way higher conversation about Playstation due to the common bigger success in social media, bigger userbase, having several top exclusives this past quarter plus Elen Ring, and the acquisition multiplied by a smaller number the existing conversation about PS. Meanwhile in MS maybe the acquisition had a bigger impact and multiplied the conversation about Xbox more, but the starting point was pretty lower.

I mean, maybe the ABK acquisition shaked the MS community proportionally more than the Bungie one did, but the PS community is way higher and more active, so even if the bump was proportionally smaller the total number may have been higher in the PS side.

It's the only way I could explain this, because it's really hard to believe. The acquisition had a record cost, ABK is the biggest 3rd party publisher and CoD is top.

I personally think that Bethesda acquisition was a much bigger deal than Activision acquisition.

it is for most peopple that post on gaming forums like this one. Bethesda is a way bigger blow for gaming enthusiast than activision is. Before the acquisition the only news about activision was the workplace issues and lawsuits, CoD being exceptionally bad last year and selling less, and overwatch 2 being in development hell.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

What a ridiculous timeline of events. Bungie was independent then was in talks with Apple then Microsoft acquired them. Then after several years they broke off from Microsoft and was independent but then was working with Activision. Then severed thier contract with them to be independent. Then Microsoft is in the process of acquiring Activision. Then Sony scoops up Bungie. 😵‍💫

What a ridiculous timeline of events. Bungie was independent then was in talks with Apple then Microsoft acquired them. Then after several years they broke off from Microsoft and was independent but then was working with Activision. Then severed thier contract with them to be independent. Then Microsoft is in the process of acquiring Activision. Then Sony scoops up Bungie. 😵‍💫

passed around more than Kim Kardashian

jaysius

Banned
What a dumb thread about an even dumber article, slow news years are fucking weird. I'd rather see a groundless rumor thread than a thirst for attention thread like this.

People make tweets like they make turds. Tweets mean nothing.

Boat Poop GIF

It doesn't even mean all those tweets were positive, they could have been "fuck this shit" with the hashtag.

Engagement is only a good metric for advertiser's, not everything.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Activision purchased boosted the news, coupled by them making original halo.

It was a nice shit show twitter.

Fuck you Leicester for changing the timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom