• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony buys Savage Game Studios

God of war endless runner here we come!
kratos-running-kratos-god-of-war.gif

John Wick

This is the type of acquisition Sony should have made years ago to capitalise on the Mobile games boom. Jimbo is doing it now....
I can't believe people gave this clown credit for the success of PS4 and 5

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have zero interest in whatever they'll be doing, but it's whatever I guess. A few mobile spin-offs won't hurt anyone.

God of war endless runner here we come!

There already is one for Uncharted (or was, it probably doesn't exist anymore), and a few others I think.

anthony2690

Banned
Nope these guys as a studio have never released a game.
One of their founders was at Rovio(angry birds), so there that.

They relatively recently got the funding to make their first mobile shooter game.
With Sony money also backing the project they could make a pretty big game.
But in the mobile space its basically a gamble whether the game will blow or not.

If Sony wanted they could badge this game with Destiny or Killzone or something so it atleast has a name going in.
Otherwise its really hit and miss in the mobile space if you are coming with an unknown name.

They do seem to be using Unreal Engine for development so assuming the game is big/good enough they could make it a console release too.
Probably the future off killzone then, wouldn't be surprised.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Well, if I were Hermen I won't be waiting this long to acquire mobile studios. Mobile gaming is were the money at.

maybe but we are console gamers and as said in previous post a lot of you including yourself always talk about Playstation proping up other parts of the Sony company with the profits of playstation so don't be so sure mobil money will got back into playstation games

Duchess

Sony is clearly starting to look beyond the PlayStation as a single platform, and is preparing to position "PlayStation Studios" as a multi-platform offering.

I'm already betting that the PS6 (maybe even the PS5 Pro) won't ship with an optical drive. I think fewer than 20% of game sales are now physical..?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
maybe but we are console gamers and as said in previous post a lot of you including yourself always talk about Playstation proping up other parts of the Sony company with the profits of playstation so don't be so sure mobil money will got back into playstation games

That's even much better news! I use Sony TV's, Sony mobiles, Sony alpha cameras, Sony lenses, Sony headphones and speakers, etc. Sony car, soon™.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Sony is clearly starting to look beyond the PlayStation as a single platform, and is preparing to position "PlayStation Studios" as a multi-platform offering.

I'm already betting that the PS6 (maybe even the PS5 Pro) won't ship with an optical drive. I think fewer than 20% of game sales are now physical..?

Not with them being incredibly successful in countries around that world where the internet is not sufficiently robust to justify eliminating the optical drive. The PS7, however, if it even launches? Yeah, I can see that.
As to this acquisition, it certainly was expected given their recently expressed statements about the importance of expanding the reach of the Playstation to non-traditional markets, mainly PC and mobile. I have an interrogation about this move, however: This studio, alongside the other mobile ones they will certainly add to their portfolio...it all falls under the supervision of Hulst? If so, and because of the way they are growing, it strikes me as "too much" work for a single man; They should have a North America Playstation Studios, a European PS and an Asian PS heads, plus another guy in charge of the mobile division, all of whom reporting to Hulst...
But maybe I am way off base here? 🤔

Last edited:

Beechos

These companies are here to making money not appease us gamers. If anything sony is super late and behind in the gaas/mobile money maker markets. A successfuly gaas/mobile game will make more money for sony than all their aaa consoles games combined.

this sounds like a midnight accidental purchase of something you left in the online shopping basket one year ago just to see how much postage would be.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
More revenue means more PlayStation games. It’s a good thing
Yes, they bought a mobile game developer because they want to use mobile game profits as a way to fund their other studios. Makes perfect sense!!

No. More revenue from mobile games means they’ll make more mobile games + will feel tempted to bring mobile-like design choices to their console games. (Well not necessarily, but they will be incentivized to do so).

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
This is a nothingburger (for now), low risk purchase that probably cost Sony pocket change.
Lots of potential there though with Sony IPs.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Hello, PlayStation nation.

Today, we announced that we have entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Savage Game Studios, a hugely talented team of creatives with many years of experience making some of the most popular mobile games enjoyed by players around the world. They were founded a few years ago with the goal of fearlessly exploring bold new ideas. We share their tireless ambition to innovate, along with a continued drive to expand our audience and bring PlayStation to more people than ever before, making them a perfect fit to join PlayStation Studios.

[/URL]
More info for the first post OP, it's for a new mobile division, lots of people shiting the thread without this information _ this is not for Playstation studios.

" a new independent PlayStation Studios Mobile Division"

Sony was like "we attacking in every front now baby. console, PC, mobile. less gooo"

SSfox

Sony still make best console, but i've no excitement for their 1st party, to me right now Nintendo is more excting, their consoles sucks, but if only Nintendo make a good console, to me they will become superior than Sony. First time i feel that way since Sfamicom. To me at least, games like Xeno 3, Bayo 3, BOTW2 are much more excting than Marvel, and ND online game.

I know what i really hope Nintendo will make great console, powerful enough to handle all 3rd party, then Sony and MS can sucks each others d*cks over subscriptions/mobiles/PC porting and all the other BS.

Last edited:

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
From the CEO, Michail Katkoff's LinkedIn

“Why would you join PlayStation Studios?

I could tell you that it’s because we’re massive fans of all the amazing games PlayStation has given us over the decades. I could also tell you how massive of an influence PlayStation games had on each of us and how excited we all are to potentially bring some of these beloved IPs onto mobile.

While all the above is true, the main reason we’re joining PlayStation Studios is that we know that Savage Games Studios will be much more successful as a part of PlayStation.

We started talking with the fine folks from PlayStation over a year ago. As we’ve gotten to know each other, we’ve gained the respect of the PlayStation Studios' leadership team, who appreciate our vision and dedication to building mobile-first games. Our team was impressed that the leadership group at PlayStation is not afraid to take chances. Not to mention that it has been truly fun to work with everyone from PlayStation!

On behalf of everybody at Savage Game Studios, thank you PlayStation for welcoming us to your team. We’re committed to working hard until we’re ready to show you something cool. We can’t wait until then!

And kudos to our investors Play Ventures, Makers Fund, Joakim Achrén, Eric Seufert, Jussi Laakkonen, and Asbjoern Malte Soendergaard for backing the first phase of Savage.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Sony still make best console, but i've no excitement for their 1st party, to me right now Nintendo is more excting, their consoles sucks, but if only Nintendo make a good console, to me they will become superior than Sony. First time i feel that way since Sfamicom.

I know what i really hope Nintendo will make great console, powerful enough to handle all 3rd party, then Sony and MS can sucks each others d*cks over subscriptions/mobiles/PC porting and all the other BS.
In Your Dreams Blaxploitation GIF by Warner Archive

AmuroChan

Good move. Just like they acquired Nixxes to handle all the PC ports so that the other first party studios don't have have to, they should have dedicated mobile studios work on their mobile games. Can you imagine the outrage if Santa Monica or Naughty Dog had to work on mobile games? This is the better strategy. Have a separate PlayStation Mobile division to oversee their mobile business. Let PlayStation Studios focus on the console space.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It’s going to be one of those endless runners with Joel running from a giant golf club. Finally half of GAF will get the redemption they need.
IMO they’re going to make some crossover gacha strategy RPG where their clothes deteriorate and fall off as they take damage.

Top Bottom