• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony buys Savage Game Studios

ryan reynolds hd GIF
young dolph plies GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop

Dlacy13g

Dear conusmers...we are making lots of money, like record revenue... Forgot to mention last week due to economic challenges globally (except for the U.S.) we need to raise prices.... Oh yeah, by the by... we are spending some more money to buy a studio. Have a great day!

The optics and timing of Sony has just not been the best.

Fbh

TLOU mobile here we go!.

"Joel save me!!".
"Sorry kid we just fought some clickers, now I need $1.99 or 6 hours to regain enough energy to go save you"
"But Joel they are killing me!".
"I know I'm sorry you got stuck with the 3 stars version of me instead of the 5 starts one"
"... Don't worry it's ok at least you've got a fun banana costume!"

cm osi

lol we all know how it's gonna go
they'll try to launch some mobile GAAS only to shut them 6 month~1 year after

JLB

Banned
okok time to stop these stupid acquisitions. Put some order Microsoft, get Ubisoft, EA and Square Enix.

yurinka

the genre is the problem. In the mobile AAA live shooter space, this will go up against Warzone, Apex Legends, Fortnite, PUBG and stuff being pushed out by Tencent and Netease. It’s high risk
How about if they are the ones making the Destiny mobile game?

yurinka

What do they make?
They are making a shooter for mobile games, which would be the first game of this studio. It's a new studio from veterans who mostly worked on several top mobile gaming companies and some of them also in Rockstar, Ubisoft or Yager.

It's a somewhat similar case to Kojima Productions, Haven, Firesprite, Deviation or Firewalk but in mobile: a "new" studio with very experienced and successful staff from top studios. But in this case for mobile gaming instead of console gaming.

yeah but how? looking at their linked.in they have an office and a bunch of merch but no games? lol
Their staff worked previously in top mobile gaming companies like King, Rovio, Wooga, Supercell, Kabam, Digital Chocolate, Glu or IGG, and some of them also in places like Rockstar, Ubisoft or Yager. As an example their art director worked during more than 10 years in Rockstar. Helsinki and Berlin, where they have offices, are with Barcelona the main mobile gaming development hubs in Europe, and maybe the world.

Mobile gaming generates more money than console gaming and PC gaming combined:

Newzoo-2022-revenue-results-platform.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like Sony really is going all-in on GAAS type experiences going forward with their games portfolio. From crafted single-player titles to multiplayer GAAS in one fell swoop can be alienating to long-time fans, especially if greed takes over in the monetization of these experiences.

Looks like Sony really is going all-in on GAAS type experiences going forward with their games portfolio. From crafted single-player titles to multiplayer GAAS in one fell swoop can be alienating to long-time fans, especially if greed takes over in the monetization of these experiences.

Telling by your avatar i know you’re just concern trolling but this is what they said in the announcement

As we assured you before with our plans to bring select titles to PC, our efforts beyond console in no way diminish our commitment to the PlayStation community, nor our passion to keep making amazing single-player, narrative-driven experiences. It’s been a tremendous year for games on PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4, with huge releases including Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, MLB The Show 22, and on November 9th, the highly anticipatedGod of War: Ragnarok. PlayStation VR2 is also on the horizon, and promises a huge leap forward in presence and immersion, bolstered by best-in-class software like Horizon: Call of the Mountain. We’re proud of our upcoming releases on PC as well, with Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection and Marvel’s Spider-Man giving gamers without PlayStation hardware a taste of our amazing library of first-party titles.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Telling by your avatar i know you’re just concern trolling but this is what they said in the announcement
So they are buying studios to do the GaaS work instead of getting one of their biggest historic studio go between motion games and GaaS titles… 🤔… what other studio I am thinking of here… must be a rare example, soft… wares… wares soft… 🤔.

J/K, but they are buying studios to help with PC ports, one of the best there is, they are buying studios to help with GaaS/LIVE services games (Bungie, Haven, etc…), instead of redirecting existing studios and making them work on genres and game styles they are not familiar or may not like to work with.

Instead of applauding this we are either complaining they are not buying a bigger publisher and making those games exclusives or complaining that they are getting dedicated extra help instead of forcing changes in their existing studios… oh well… 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:
Nothing about the press release you attached is reassuring. All it does is state that they are proud of the games they build and then it lists their entire games lineup scheduled for the next 12 months.

Ozriel

M$FT

To be fair, aside from Ragnarok, the rest In that list are already released titles or PSVR2. It’ll be interesting to see how their portfolio looks like going forward, though I definitely believe Jim Ryan when he says they’ll keep making their 3rd person single player games that have given them such success.

Mozza

Well at least we won't have people complaining that Sony are going to keep all of this developers games exclusive. ;)

laynelane

I think if it's not posted by one of the Warrior Allstars with plenty of warnings or bans it's just what it's meant to be: A joke

Could be, but it also adds nothing to the discussion and these kinds of jokes are all too common and, for me, increasingly more tedious.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
Throwing money at something that may not pan out is not a win

This doesn't make sense.......what company doesn't invest into things that may or may not payoff??
Obviously they think it will.

Hell, everyday, every individual on earth invests time, energy, money, etc into something that may not work out in the long run.

Top Bottom