• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony CEO Jim Ryan says fans shouldn't expect to see PS5 exclusives launch on PC day one.

ulantan

Making sure you put all time and focus of development on one console is great cause you focus on one fixed device. However I hope they take those 2 years to make a banger port. It's a working strategy.

Baki

Yeah I know, the argument was Nintendo makes more from hardware and first party than from third party cuts
Nintendo is different. 70% of Nintendo software revenue is from their own games. Meanwhile, that ratio is only 20% for Sony.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nintendo is different. 70% of Nintendo software revenue is from their own games. Meanwhile, that ratio is only 20% for Sony.
Yeah, that's why I said the other poster why is different for Nintendo to put games on PC than for PS, but they also sell hardware for profit and make a good chunk from it.

Fabieter

Maybe I should have been more clear but I was talking in terms of what their warriors were saying, it’s even happening now in this thread. Though it probably wouldn’t be hard to find them saying those things. Add day one games to PS+ tiers, another thing people swear is never coming but will.

I know about the warriors but this is stuff sony explained to investor's. This might or might not change in the future. If they are happy with the strategy than they might stick to it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think it'd be dumb for GAAS games but I think waiting is the right strategy for single player games.

I still think it's kind of corny how they have to ask Playstation fans what is "favorable" and have to worry about backlash from Playstation fans who'd get butthurt about PC releases day one. It's the smart business move, but.. yeah gamers are corny fucks.

FrankWza

Ah yes because releasing games day 1 on PC would somehow undermine the hobby and make games more expensive to develop
Who said that? They're getting more expensive because everything is. It's a reality, It doesn't undermine anything. It leads to an inevitable breaking point. Something will give. Either quality or lower console sales, Maybe both.

despite them selling more
I think we've seen the opposite is true.

Also by my experience after years using this board, Sony fans are by far the most agressive and they think anyone who criticizes PlayStation is an evil Xbox owner.
Who cares? The proof of where xbox currently sits has nothing to do with critisism or opinions. They started on this downward slope when they began putting games on PC day one.
They like to attempt risky new trends or precedents as a follower in the industry and they've been wrong a lot. Most of the PS games will end up on PC, You just have to wait.

Jimbo: Fans should not expect PS5 exclusives on PC day one
Hulst: Live service games will be launched on PC same day as on PS5
????

Like...make up your mind.
I think you answered your own question. Ryan was talking about games other than online GAAS.

Godot25

Banned
I think you answered your own question. Ryan was talking about games other than online GAAS.
So maybe you know...say it?
Like...not everybody read Hulst interview. And Ryan's quote sounds like he meant all games.

It's not that hard to add "Fans should not expect PS5 singleplayer exclusives on PC day one" right?

Thank you PS gamers for alpha testing PC games for $70.
Then you should wait and still play them on PS5. By the time the finally release on PC and are done being "alpha tested", they are $60 on PC and $20 on PS5.

Not to mention, no one is alpha testing the PC versions, because they always come out worse there, even compared to the initial console launch.

Like...not everybody read Hulst interview. And Ryan's quote sounds like he meant all games.

It's not that hard to add "Fans should not expect PS5 singleplayer exclusives on PC day one" right?
6gnXsRQ.jpg

Iced Arcade

As a consumer I like day 1 releases on everything (I gain nothing because the next guy doesn't)

As a business I think it's smart releasing games on PC but launching first on your console and a few months later seems like the smartest move to maximize your profits.

just like...I love Game Pass and it's day 1 releases BUT I think it would have been smarter to delay releasing titles on the service and maximize profits from people who don't want to wait.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Maybe it changed themultiplayer push too.

They need all the playerbase for the games to get successful but they really need a robust anti cheating system or the games will get whrecked by legitimate players.

If they can't do that day one than skip the simultaneous pc release.

3liteDragon

Where are all the “THE GAP IS GETTING SHORTER” people lol, Hermen said the exact same thing regarding PC ports, 2 years max for single-player games & day one for GaaS. One spec to focus on is the best way to do it & PlayStation should always be #1 priority for their studios.

Just go ask Phil how their day one PC strategy’s working so far, you have one console breaking records & then you got another that’s likely doing worse than it’s predecessor.

mrmustard

Banned
As a business I think it's smart releasing games on PC but launching first on your console and a few months later seems like the smartest move to maximize your profits.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Sony will never know who bought their console just because of a certain game. But they will know how much more games they sell on pc if they try day1, because now they already got numbers for several non day1 games. I think the benefit of Sony's ultra high buget marketing would be massive for pc sales.

Baki

Yeah, that's why I said the other poster why is different for Nintendo to put games on PC than for PS, but they also sell hardware for profit and make a good chunk from it.
Yes, Nintendo makes a healthy margin on their hardware. However they are certainly missing out on key revenue by not investing more into mobile games.

Famipan

I've got a better idea, don't give PC *any* PlayStation exclusives, if they want to play them so badly buy a PS5, increase hardware sales and software should even out with what would have sold on PC
Nah, since Sony doesn’t value their assets properly, I’m glad we get PC-versions so fans can add new content and through mods and that way prolong the enjoyment adding replayability and in the long run gain a huge following that may get Sony to understand we need sequels (Days Gone).

Except Bloodborne I wish they put up all Team Ico games and Gravity Rush games so that those artful masterpieces could really shine. Instead Sony let their potential assets get rusty until someone finally creates a ripoff of it from ground up with AI help (my guess)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Where are all the “THE GAP IS GETTING SHORTER” people lol, Hermen said the exact same thing regarding PC ports, 2 years max for single-player games & day one for GaaS. One spec to focus on is the best way to do it & PlayStation should always be #1 priority for their studios.

Just go ask Phil how their day one PC strategy’s working so far, you have one console breaking records & then you got another that’s likely doing worse than it’s predecessor.
And 11/10 games won't cut it. No confidence in their brand anymore.

I think that’s a good thing for the PlayStation console, but I’m not sure if I truly believe that there will never be day one PC PlayStation exclusives. Maybe GAAS games day one, but I think it might go beyond that at some point. Gotta give consumers a reason to buy your products with exclusives. I really feel that’s why XBOX console sales took a nosedive because their exclusives and services are on the PC as well on day one.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Been saying this for a while, it goes:

PS5 release > 1/2 years later: PS+ Extra release > 1/2 years after that: PC release

You won’t see day and date PS+ extra releases, let alone day and date launch PS5 releases.

Last edited:
Smart move, I would do the same. Soak up sales on primary platform first. Fomo is real, people will still buy on console if the wait for Pc is a year+ long.

Aenima

As it should. Man knows what hes doing. Keeping the PS consoles relevant and getting some extra cash some years later from a diferent audience.

Sony's First Party Games will be split in the following:

Day 1 Multiplatform for the Show (obligated if Sony wants to keep the licence)

Day 1 Multiplatform for Destiny (Bungie is independent)

Day 1 Console and PC for GAAS. (Mainly to keep the best shot at having a successful player count and interest) The Last of Us 2: Factions fits this bill

Day 1 Console and months/years later the PC Port for the rest of the games.

How is this difficult to understand?
Bungie is NOT independed Sony owns Bungie, but Bungie brings the games multiplayer and Sony gets the money cous Sony OWNS Bungie....

Last edited:
I think it'd be dumb for GAAS games but I think waiting is the right strategy for single player games.

I still think it's kind of corny how they have to ask Playstation fans what is "favorable" and have to worry about backlash from Playstation fans who'd get butthurt about PC releases day one. It's the smart business move, but.. yeah gamers are corny fucks.
No, PC gamers are portbaggers, MS is bringing theyr games day one on PC and you guys on this post are begging and hoping that Sony follows suit.
You guys are just PC fanboys, the elite...who want to have all the consolegames day on on PC, not gonna happen with Sony, Sony has not the same strategy, for Sony console sales are important, believe it ore not.
Thats why people call you the PC masterRace....

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You sure?

Hell, with the way some of these PC ports have been lately, it seems that PC gamers are the ones stuck playtesting :messenger_downcast_sweat:
Yes for sure. the PC versions are releasing in beta testing time, with issues to be fixed. The PS5 version releases with issues that are never fixed/missing basic features like poor IQ, high input lag, worse frame rate, no ultrawide, no mouse+kb support (for shooters), paid online, no mods, downgraded/missing graphics...
Then you should wait and still play them on PS5. By the time the finally release on PC and are done being "alpha tested", they are $60 on PC and $20 on PS5.

Not to mention, no one is alpha testing the PC versions, because they always come out worse there, even compared to the initial console launch.
See above.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
PC versions are releasing in beta testing time, with issues to be fixed. The PS5 version releases with issues that are never fixed/missing basic features like poor IQ, high input lag, worse frame rate, no ultrawide, no mouse+kb support (for shooters), paid online, no mods, downgraded/missing graphics
I'm more than aware and appreciative of what PC gaming offers, you don't need to do the whole laundry list thing, it's not that serious lol
Btw, issues with PS5 versions of most games are typically addressed, even if not immediately. Update patches have long been the industry standard now, so I'm not sure why you're making it seem like incidents of delayed or absent patches are isolated to console versions.
That just comes with the territory of game design, regardless of the platform.

mortal

Gold Member
How will they ever have the resources to do day 1 games on PC and on console?
Where? Your post, man.

You literally stated "PS5 version releases with issues that are never fixed" :
Yes for sure. the PC versions are releasing in beta testing time, with issues to be fixed. The PS5 version releases with issues that are never fixed/missing basic features like poor IQ, high input lag, worse frame rate, no ultrawide, no mouse+kb support (for shooters), paid online, no mods, downgraded/missing graphics...

See above.
Sure it's something that can and has happened and is an unfortunate aspect of game design, but to say that they are never fixed? Obviously a bit extreme and not true.
You then proceed to stack the benefits of PC against PS5, as if any of those things were relevant or being contested to begin with. I wasn't expecting my post to be taken so seriously tbh

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Where? Your post, man.

You literally stated "PS5 version releases with issues that are never fixed" :

Sure it's something that can and has happened and is an unfortunate aspect of game design, but to say that they are never fixed? Obviously a bit extreme and not true.
You then proceed to stack the benefits of PC against PS5, as if any of those things were relevant or being contested to begin with. I wasn't expecting my post to be taken so seriously tbh
And when poor IQ, resolution and frame rate limitations, mouse+kb support, mod support, free online, etc are ever patched in??? They are forever stuck in "alpha versions" compared to PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom