• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony CEO Jim Ryan says fans shouldn't expect to see PS5 exclusives launch on PC day one.

mortal

Gold Member
And when poor IQ, resolution and frame rate limitations, mouse+kb support, mod support, free online, etc are ever patched in??? They are forever stuck in "alpha versions" compared to PC.
I was just simply lamenting that PC gets some bad ports too despite all the platform offers in terms of optimization.
I was never arguing that PS5 doesn't have its fair share of titles with technical issues. Not sure what mods, M+KB support, or free online have anything to do with what I was referring to.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
No, PC gamers are portbaggers, MS is bringing theyr games day one on PC and you guys on this post are begging and hoping that Sony follows suit.
You guys are just PC fanboys, the elite...who want to have all the consolegames day on on PC, not gonna happen with Sony, Sony has not the same strategy, for Sony console sales are important, believe it ore not.
Thats why people call you the PC masterRace....
Is this a bit?

Let’s hope they stick to 2 to 3 years, I’m betting it’s gonna become 1 year soon, this is when ms needs to be a credible alternative, but they don’t have a clue. Ms needs to drop day one pc, like back in the 360 days, where they had the most success.

Eotheod

I really don't understand how releasing on PC hurts PlayStation sales? Are there truly going to be that many shifting to their purchase on PC that Sony will be hurt by the prospects of releasing on another platform? I get the loss of 100% revenue, but realistically the gain on securing more purchases then you would have without releasing seems like a good payoff.

Outside of pleasing fanboys who want a shut down experience exclusive to their big boy purchases, PC releases should be standard practice across all platform makers. Technical development is obviously something that needs to be kept in mind when releasing on PC, but truthfully the game engines being used are quite adept at that task. I just can't see a PlayStation fan who has a PS5 that they spent upwards of $400USD ($800AUD for us) deciding "oh dang they have the next spoogieman on PC as well, better go invest $1k+ in a PC!"

I also don't understand this toxicity to PC in general. People armchair analysing Sony and Xbox to drop PC support are drop dead cunts in my book, as it's selfish wants to ensure your platform is "pure." An open market is a far better offer then closed off bullshit.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Bungie is NOT independed Sony owns Bungie, but Bungie brings the games multiplayer and Sony gets the money cous Sony OWNS Bungie....
Sony ultimately benefits but Bungie has its own setup and were given assurances that it would remain multiplatform.

I was explaining why Bungie will be releasing multiplatform compared to their other studios like Sucker Punch, and why neither can be an example for the other.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, you do get that sweet 30% of all third party profits off of console transactions/purchases/DLC’s ;). Plus PS+ subs…
Yeah, in case their ecosystem provides then more profits than third party publishing that's completely right, haven't checked myself though

lukilladog

mary-kate-wiles-mk-wiles.gif

//DEVIL//

I was just simply lamenting that PC gets some bad ports too despite all the platform offers in terms of optimization.
I was never arguing that PS5 doesn't have its fair share of titles with technical issues. Not sure what mods, M+KB support, or free online have anything to do with what I was referring to.
Agreed on getting bad ports. but in 90% of the cases, the community fix these ports if the devs are shit. who will fix a PS5 shit game if devs are not working on it?

mortal

Gold Member
Agreed on getting bad ports. but in 90% of the cases, the community fix these ports if the devs are shit. who will fix a PS5 shit game if devs are not working on it?
The devs themselves, no? It may or may not be an immediate update, depending on the developer's willingness and or even their capability to resolve the issues. Even a late patch is still a patch.
More people, with the skills and resources and having more access to a game's assets would of course result in more alternate solutions for gamers to make use of. That's just how it goes.

I don't see much point in also bemoaning the differences between designing games for a console versus modding games on a PC. Modding is a distinct thing and serves its own purpose within the market.
I love that mods and unofficial fixes are a thing, but that wasn't ever my argument, so I fail to grasp the point.

Mr.Phoenix

I really don't understand how releasing on PC hurts PlayStation sales? Are there truly going to be that many shifting to their purchase on PC that Sony will be hurt by the prospects of releasing on another platform? I get the loss of 100% revenue, but realistically the gain on securing more purchases then you would have without releasing seems like a good payoff.

Outside of pleasing fanboys who want a shut down experience exclusive to their big boy purchases, PC releases should be standard practice across all platform makers. Technical development is obviously something that needs to be kept in mind when releasing on PC, but truthfully the game engines being used are quite adept at that task. I just can't see a PlayStation fan who has a PS5 that they spent upwards of $400USD ($800AUD for us) deciding "oh dang they have the next spoogieman on PC as well, better go invest $1k+ in a PC!"

I also don't understand this toxicity to PC in general. People armchair analysing Sony and Xbox to drop PC support are drop dead cunts in my book, as it's selfish wants to ensure your platform is "pure." An open market is a far better offer then closed off bullshit.
Entitled much?

And before you go off calling people cunts, and advocating for open markets... have you once ever advocated for Star Citizen, Disco Elysium...etc to be on consoles too? Or let me guess, your pretentious open market BS only works when the market in question is the PC right?

it seems you don't understand basic shit.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Calling people cunts for not releasing their games on your platform of choice, when you choose not to play on their platform, and also calling them selfish in the same line ...

Season 9 No GIF by The Office

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah, in case their ecosystem provides then more profits than third party publishing that's completely right, haven't checked myself though
If all their customers went to PC they would become a third party and lose HW profits, lose subscriptions profits, would likely need to sell a good portion of their own software from a storefront like Steam losing 30% of those profits, and would lose 30% of all the third party games revenue they currently make on the platform.

Since they do have good HW and subscription sales and they manage to get the HW profitable relatively quickly / minimise losses compare to some competitors, the accessories which have features they more easily can push third parties to integrate, they control a very very visible store, get 100% of the software revenue they generate and 30% of the third parties’ one, etc… I do not see the math working out for them the way you do…

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Technical development is obviously something that needs to be kept in mind when releasing on PC, but truthfully the game engines being used are quite adept at that task
We have seen how easy it is in the past year or so haven’t we ;)?

Seriously, it is not just an issue of game engines, but testing, optimisations, and this added burden carries over your entire development process (performance differences, bugs, etc… when you have different OS’s * different cards with different specs * different driver versions … and abstracted PC API’s will not hide everything, DLSS on AMD no oops so gotta have both DLSS and FSR, etc…).

We have seen how easy it is in the past year or so haven’t we ;)?

Seriously, it is not just an issue of game engines, but testing, optimisations, and this added burden carries over your entire development process (performance differences, bugs, etc… when you have different OS’s * different cards with different specs * different driver versions … and abstracted PC API’s will not hide everything, DLSS on AMD no oops so gotta have both DLSS and FSR, etc…).
You could have shortened the bold part to just "the added burden of putting out a quality product" ;)

Too much to ask for amirite

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You could have shortened the bold part to just "the added burden of putting out a quality product" ;)

Too much to ask for amirite
😂… keep thinking of just flicking a switch and there it is. Easier said than done, when you do not have infinite time and budgets and some non technical person above you tells you that “engines scales so quit your whining we will be fine, fix stuff in a patch will ya?” ;).

We are dealing with already very complex systems and very high expectations, on top of that we have a platform which either gives you a quite abstracted perspective of most things (and this is the land of weird performance oddities, weird bugs, tons of testing needed to avoid more and more technical debt and catastrophic bugs later) or you need to deal face on with a much more varied ecosystem you need to tangle with yourself (insert same but about bugs, testing, and support).

You are spending more and more time getting things to work than actually the game you want to make and this also adds stress to your development and art teams and slows down iteration (or it does not and you deal with well great PC ports that make Battaglia so happy and stress free…).

The PC ecosystem and model has some great advantages and the console ones have advantages too, each has limitations and issues. People ignoring this and wanting the other to converge in the former are IMHO almost hopelessly misguided but hey 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Eotheod

Entitled much?

And before you go off calling people cunts, and advocating for open markets... have you once ever advocated for Star Citizen, Disco Elysium...etc to be on consoles too? Or let me guess, your pretentious open market BS only works when the market in question is the PC right?
Entitled by stating all games should be across all platforms that can run said game? Yet the people calling for console makers to not release on PC at all, or purposefully delay for years to encourage double dipping, isn't entitled? How pretentious do people have to be that they must wage wars to protect their precious plastic box, in the hopes that those PC release don't somehow spoil their enjoyment.

Regarding those titles, I actually believe Star Citizen is a shit feature creep game that barely runs on PC but should be released elsewhere, and Disco Elysium did release on consoles. So not sure where you were going with those choices.

it seems you don't understand basic shit.
Please tell me how you do know "basic shit" then?

Calling people cunts for not releasing their games on your platform of choice, when you choose not to play on their platform, and also calling them selfish in the same line ...

Season 9 No GIF by The Office
I was actually calling those adding to the discussion that PC should never get console releases cunts and selfish. Not the actual developers.

Last edited:

sendit

You only have to look at Xbox as the shining example to see how it gutted that platform.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Hasn’t this been the case already with the PS4? I wasn’t expecting a drastic change with the PS5. Exclusive launches then a year or more later PC gets a port.

yazenov

Entitled by stating all games should be across all platforms that can run said game? Yet the people calling for console makers to not release on PC at all, or purposefully delay for years to encourage double dipping, isn't entitled? How pretentious do people have to be that they must wage wars to protect their precious plastic box, in the hopes that those PC release don't somehow spoil their enjoyment.

Regarding those titles, I actually believe Star Citizen is a shit feature creep game that barely runs on PC but should be released elsewhere, and Disco Elysium did release on consoles. So not sure where you were going with those choices.

Please tell me how you do know "basic shit" then?

I was actually calling those adding to the discussion that PC should never get console releases cunts and selfish. Not the actual developers.

Imagine getting angry about a company's decision not to release its own property on another platform out of its own self-interest to protect its IP market value, as its main focus is to grow its own hardware business and platform.

Sony doesn't owe you anything (PC port beggars), they owe their shareholders and their main consumers who bought into their ecosystem. This business decision is made for the growth and prosperity of their own platform, not for your entitlement.

BootsLoader

Banned
This makes perfect sense. As game development gets more complicated, the benefits of targeting a single platform are highlighted. PS5 version will launch to great reviews due to hardware/software integration, allowing the games to have a reputation of being “amazing”.

Then, when the PC launch comes out, the technical issues of scaling to various builds will either have been figured out or not. If they are, new audiences will be found on PC and possible double-dippers. If they are not, Sony has little to lose since a secondary launch will never be as scrutinized.

This is all while keeping a reason for people to own a PS5.
As far as I understand, PC gamers like to have problems, they need to have something to do. So it’s not a problem for them.

SABRE220

It's a pretty decent compromise. They maintain value for their console ensuring sales momentum while ensuring the pc market gets the same games with additional fidelity in two years. Unlike Microsoft who went all in on Gamepass sony has to keep their consoles value at the forefront, I mean honestly there is simply zero reason to buy an Xbox console if you have a pc for e.g.

Don't expect me to buy them until they are on steep discount then, if I've waited 2 years already I can wait till the good sale.

Mr.Phoenix

Your exact words were, PC releases shud be standard practice across platform makers.

Not, no platform makers should not be making exclusive games.

You were speaking about platform makers but with regards to PCs. That is entitled behavior.
Doesnt matter who you were calling cunts, This is also what makes you entitled. That you think you can call someone a cunt because they say or have an opinion that is different from yours or that keeps games of your open-market box of tech. and that you don't see the problem with that is outright sad.

And hey, I am not advocating for those that you say you are speaking about, because I have never once said that games shouldn't be released on PC. I have however said that I can understand why Sony would never release their games day 1 on PC as they do with the PS console. I have also said that if a gamer isn't willing to buy a PS console, then they simply should have no qualms just waiting 18-24+ months cause the games would ikey come to them anyway. And I see nothing wrong with that or why anyone would have an issue with that.

But those that obviously do... you don't see me calling them cunts do you?

Flutta

Banned
MS has a reason to do so.. they do own windows. It would be dumb for Sony to do so. There is no advantage there. They would just lose the double dippers.

Wrong!

MS had no choice but to do so because they got their asses kicked in real hard.

They lost alot of market share to Sony during the Xbone era thus lost alot of potential costumers. What choice do they have but to releasing games on PC to regain some of those lost sales.

You really think MS doesn’t want it’s own walled garden? Bitch pls…

Last edited:

oldergamer

I saw this coming. Sony did it before during ps one Supported PC early on and slowly stopped releasing games over time until they stopped PC support altogether. Once they have a big enough base on PS5, there is no need to bother with PC.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
MS has a reason to do so.. they do own windows. It would be dumb for Sony to do so. There is no advantage there. They would just lose the double dippers.

And in doing so """""" IMHO """"" they slowly and progressively devalued their hardware for the consumer, loosing its identity and entering in a limbo where they dont know really if they are a hardware gaming company or a publisher company ... and now a streaming company ... they dont know what the fuck they wanna be (rulers of the world ? But thats out of the question for now). Focus is the main difference here... MS seems to be since xboxone era pushing for console gaming to became something different (tv box, kinectbox, pc gaming, cloud , streaming service) ... they dont focus in the fucking home console gaming market .. and dont know why they are failing... is a big fucking surprise ( NOT!) that Phil thinks great games dont do any difference

Look genius, if releasing on PC day 1 truly did not affect Playstation sales (how would you even know this?) Sony would be doing it already.

Last edited:
Top Bottom