• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony CEO Jim Ryan says fans shouldn't expect to see PS5 exclusives launch on PC day one.

skit_data

Makes sense, in several aspects.
-A lot of PC users don't even have machines that match or surpass PS5 specs (they will become more common as the gen goes on). This means that the potential customer base is smaller than people think.
-Dev time, dev time, dev time. Should be obvious but having to optimize and/or parallelize work in order to hit all platforms at the same time will inevitably lead to the game either taking longer or get semi broken releases on one, several or even all platforms. Even worse is that some stuff that could be done in terms of graphics, gameplay etc. on one platform had to be scrapped because of the wide range of hardware.
-Make a dedicated PC port several years later and you effectively get not only a PC game but a 'definitive edition' that can be sold on Pro or PS6 and people will buy it again.

truth411

do you really think it's the PC + Xbox thing that's making them fail.... or the declining quality of Xbox AAA games as a whole? Like come on, if Redfall were Xbox exclusive with no PC release, do you think it would be selling consoles??
Even if Sony made their shit day + date on PC, or under a year on PC that wouldn't stop the PS sales. Hell, the TOTK leaks didn't prevent 10 million sold in 3 days
MS themselves have already admitted that Gamepass canabilze game sales. There making less money on software sales NOT more. Also Sony wants/Needs to Sale the PS5 console to get people buy software on PS5 and subscriptions. That's why exclusive content matters, this isn't rocket science. Virtually everyone does across multiple industries. Netflix, HBO max, Amazon Prime, create/license exclusive content so people will have to subscribe to there service to view it. Gamepass day and date model doesn't suit well with AAA game development, it makes no financial sense.
A. The model have to focus on quantity more than quality, because you have to keep the subscription well feed to keep the numbers up.

B. This is part why I believe that MS AAA games are so few and far between. These days a we'll polished AAA game development can easily cost over $150 - $200 million dollars PER GAME. Releasing 1 or 2 per year and a bunch of indie games to fill gamepass, ok. But 4 or 5 on top of paying every other developer in the service don't add up. I know they recently said Gamepass was profitable but if you pay attention that's in part because they haven't been Releasing very many AAA big budget games. It don't make financial sense to do so.
Think about it, Halo then Forza Horizon and now Starfield in 3 years. And Halo wasn't in very good shape but it had to come out to keep subscriptions up.

Because Sonys games aren't day and date, they don't have to worry about 1st party titles keeping subscriptions up, just make a well polished game. Once they pretty much made there software sales, THEN put it in your subscription service to boost/maintain subscriber numbers. Just like what they just did with RatchetnClank this month.

Heck even EA don't put Madden day and date into EA Access.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
What the hell, why 7 pages over this tidbit of information?

Surprised Fire GIF

It’s a sore spot for people who live and die by The Brand™. He basically said nothing has changed andthey will keep doing PC ports. Whoop dee doo.

Even Shawn Layden seems to agree that Jim’s strategy and math check out.

I don’t know why some deluded people in this thread think they know about making money for Sony more than Shawn Layden, Jim Ryan and all the other people making six and seven figures at Sony that get paid to do the math.

Last edited:

ksdixon

jim-ryan-2.jpg

In an interview with Famitsu (translated via ResetEra), Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) CEO Jim Ryan shot down the idea of PlayStation 5 (PS5) exclusive games also launching on PC from day one. Ryan says that the primary goal of console first-party games is to build the game for the PlayStation experience. He added that overall reactions from fans have been “favorable” when games arrive a couple of years after initial release.

Ryan’s comments come as Sony has been more open to porting its PlayStation exclusives to PC in recent years. In 2020, the company released Horizon Zero Dawn on PC, and it followed that up with the release of God of War in 2022.

His comments are likely to disappoint some PC gamers who have been hoping to play PlayStation exclusives without having to buy a PlayStation console. However, it’s clear that Sony is still committed to its console business, which continues to perform to great results.
Well yeah, staggered release for PC, and finally we have a definitive statement of time-frame. They may have made some comments in the past but this feels more asserted. Some doom and gloom averted.

But I still think there's a wider discussion around PC itself being a misguided direction to take.

Sony being smart to protect the brand. They release big budget games that are highly polished at launch to critical acclaim. You can't tell me that optimizing for all the variations of PC's wouldn't add to developers troubles. Sony developers only need to focus on the PS5, which has the same architecture as the PS4, making it an easy transition to boot

Last edited:

Crayon

Almost every PC benchmark on YouTube has like two of their games now.

Predictable how they went from brushed off sour grapes to pc gamers birthright in such a short time, too. If nothing else, Sony's games are among the best looking games you can get and we've all got at least a little graphics whore in us.

daninthemix

That's fine, but it inherently limits their success on PC, as their games are very hype-dependent and much of the hype has gone away 3 years later.

Zathalus

Why would you want it on pc anyway. Shocking but most ps5 games run better on a ps5.
Like what? The Last of Us is one I suppose. Returnal is one other but that runs way better on PC.

All other next-gen only games run way better on PC as well.

Ansphn

That's why reading his full interview and especially the sentences before and after are important.

"We have always said that we believe in generations ... We have always felt that we had a responsibility to serve that [PS4] community for several years after the launch of PS5 and that it represented a huge business opportunity for us," Ryan says. "The numbers are quite straightforward. If you say in broad brush figures that we have a community of 100 million PS4 owners right now, and in the first couple of years... I don't know, somewhere between 15 and 25 million might migrate to PS5, that still leaves a huge number of people with PS4s."
Wow and all this time I thought they caught Jim lying. Never believe a word from Twitter from fanboys.why do people even call this man lying Jim when compared to Phil Spencer and his history of lying?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
That's why reading his full interview and especially the sentences before and after are important.

"We have always said that we believe in generations ... We have always felt that we had a responsibility to serve that [PS4] community for several years after the launch of PS5 and that it represented a huge business opportunity for us," Ryan says. "The numbers are quite straightforward. If you say in broad brush figures that we have a community of 100 million PS4 owners right now, and in the first couple of years... I don't know, somewhere between 15 and 25 million might migrate to PS5, that still leaves a huge number of people with PS4s."
Thank you.

Wow and all this time I thought they caught Jim lying. Never believe a word from Twitter from fanboys.why do people even call this man lying Jim when compared to Phil Spencer and his history of lying.

This was always a weird thing for some to get upset about. That some ppl....still....bring it up as some kind of gotcha is telling. Reading comprehension is truly a lost art at times.

For months Sony was one of the few that had current gen only games. (Demon's Souls, Rift Apart, Returnal, Destruction All Stars) The PS5 launched with a current gen only games They never said all their games would be PS5 only. They said we believe in generations.

If you wasnt around....Miles Morales reveal trailer was praised by so many ppl...until they found out it was cross gen. Then all hell broke loose. Same for Forbidden West.

The only game that has a strange history is GT7, because IIRC it was supposed to be PS5 only.

Its interesting tho that back then Demon's Souls would get dismissed by some....but now that there are a handful of other remakes from 3rd parties...crickets.

Last edited:

Calverz

It seems very strange to not release a live service game same day as pc. Why limit its potential? I’m sure Sony would love to have it’s own fortnite. They need that fortnite money.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It’s why Xbox is in the state it is now.

As a pc player though I am super happy with gamepass.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That is the biggest and most obvious lie ever. Remeber when he said "We believe in generations"? Yeah...only a matter of time. They're saying that now cause it's convienet it.

Come PS6, I wouldn't be surprised if it's all day 1.

Still rolling with that lie huh?

- PS5 DualSense controller doesn't work on the PS4.
- PSVR2 can't play PSVR games out the box.
- Project Leonardo doesn't work on the PS4.

Wouldn't make any sense to release the PS5 and PC version at the same time. Detracts from the console version and their main target audience. Id expect it about 3 to 6 months later. The excuse will be we did the PS5 version first and now need to optimize for PC.

Would that be an excuse or reality? I'm not sure why people think all it takes is 3 lines of code to make a PS5 game work on all PCs.

Metnut

Makes sense. The A team optimizes these first party games for PS5 and they typically run and look amazing. Side team does PC ports a few years later and has the help of brute force.

The last thing we want to see is Cyberpunk or Redfall type of disaster launches where the developers are wasting time trying to get things to run on too many setups. I think Sony’s strategy here has proven to have some merit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The main selling point of the next gen consoles is convenience.

If PC lived or died by its exclusive catalog, it would dead dead Jim.
FTFY

Even Shawn Layden seems to agree that Jim’s strategy and math check out.

I don’t know why some deluded people in this thread think they know about making money for Sony more than Shawn Layden, Jim Ryan and all the other people making six and seven figures at Sony that get paid to do the math.

Even Ryan "Why do you love MS so much?" - Yosp McCaffrey is saying MS's strategy is not working out well for them in the console install base space.

As GHG GHG and others in here have said, I have no reason to buy their box now that everything is day and date on Steam.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's fine, but it inherently limits their success on PC, as their games are very hype-dependent and much of the hype has gone away 3 years later.

Or......their games are very quality-dependent. No reason to lie.

You mean marketing-dependant and they don't market the pc releases at all.

Nope. Lets stop acting as if Playstation 1st party games sell due to hype and marketing. That's just hater thinking. They are good to great games.

Still rolling with that lie huh?

- PS5 DualSense controller doesn't work on the PS4.
- PSVR2 can't play PSVR games out the box.
- Project Leonardo doesn't work on the PS4.

Would that be an excuse or reality? I'm not sure why people think all it takes is 3 lines of code to make a PS5 game work on all PCs.
Definitely the reality of the situation.

Guilty_AI

Oh I game on the PC. I saw AAA banger exclusives dwindle over the past 20+ years.

Without consoles, they would cease to exist. Them's the facts.
That would be.... good? I can count in one hand the AAA games released this gen that had anything going for them that wasn't graphics.

None of them are ps5 exclusives btw.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That would be.... good? I can count in one hand the AAA games released this gen that had anything going for them that wasn't graphics.

None of them are ps5 exclusives btw.
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

Without consoles, they (all them AAA games we also enjoy PC) would cease to exist. Them's the facts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom