• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Creates Game Preservation Team

Wonder what this means, especially with the launch of ps premium

tg8ERK.jpg

tg8Rxc.jpg

With a legacy like theirs...this is actually one of the best things i've read from Playstation this year. At least it shows they are starting to care about their legacy.

Laugh all you want but i always say gaming preservation is one of the worst problems about this industry overall.
In a time their consoles don't have a weird architecture anymore, it's time for them to actually pay attention to everything they released in the past.

This also tells me Playstation Plus will have its share of surprises.

Papacheeks

Banned
Seems like they are really committing to their legacy titles from this point on

Sounds like Jim Ryan was told to shut the fuck up. lol , but in all honesty I think people like digital foundry and the backlash from trying to close down psp/vita/ps3 store is what gave him a wake up call.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
But PlayStation players don't care about backwards compatibility and don't buy new consoles to play old games. Or so they're been saying...
Not sure what strawmen you're talking to, but the facts show the vast majority of gamers don't play much BC games.

However, that population and the more hardcore gaming people that visit forums like GAF, tend to care more about these things.

Dr Bass

This is a good thing if it produces results. Like I always say, talk is cheap, but if this results in us being able to play PS1-4 games on the PS5 and beyond, well done.

But until that happens ... it ain't a thing yet. :messenger_smiling:

Kdad

I'm assuming this means they are working on a way to preserve Cerny and Kojima when he joins the fold.

But PlayStation players don't care about backwards compatibility and don't buy new consoles to play old games. Or so they've been saying...

i mean...i'm trying to imagine PS One games on an OLED and i'm actually laughing...
Doesn't mean this division is a bad thing to happen. These companies need to take care of their history. If they don't do it, no one will.

DJ12

Game preservation is what it says on the tin.

Doubt it has anything to do with getting classics in the eco system, it'll be about making sure rare gems that few people have are not lost forever.

Last edited:
Hopefully it means they will be working on native PS3 emulator running on PS5. Better late than never.

Something I wish these companies would get is how old games are supposed to look and learn from what emulator devs are doing on PC. Nothings is more disgusting than how they present their old games.

A PS1 game on a 4K screen without the proper CRT filters looks terrible, that's something so simple to fix that massively enhances how the games look, yet I doubt they'll bother with it. You can get away with increasing resolution on PS2 but when you do that to PS1 games is looks like complete shit.

Last edited:

Rayderism

If a person plays on a PS1 or PS2, or (through an emulator) Sony really has no data as to how many people are playing those games. Those old consoles aren't online to report to Sony, and I doubt an emulator reports anything to them. So them saying no one plays old games is just supposition.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well this all depends on what exactly their job is and how they go about game preservation.
But this is good news.
Should have started 10 years ago though.

If a person plays on a PS1 or PS2, or (through an emulator) Sony really has no data as to how many people are playing those games. Those old consoles aren't online to report to Sony, and I doubt an emulator reports anything to them. So them saying no one plays old games is just supposition.
Specially since the half-assed way they do it usually offers the worse experience by far. Last year I bought FFVII on Steam, looks ridiculously bad. The PS1 version using on Retroarch with a good CRT filter at 4K looks gorgeous and close enough to how the game would look on a CRT.

Sony bothers with completely unnecessary things like injecting trophy support or some nonsense like that but gets completely outclasses by emulator on much more important things.

That PlayStation Classic they released was a complete abomination.

Well its pretty easy to not care about something that isn't possible on your platform.

Then when it gets available then everyone wants it.
Yea, maybe the people that care aren't there because they are not providing what they want.

I bought PSOne classic on PS3 and got the shaft from Sony.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
If they are truly serious about preservation then they should port their games to PC at least PS3 ones. But even an official emulator could be great news. Hopefully this is a first step towards the return of the old peak Sony (PS1 - PS2)

PS1 game visuals are an adquired taste even when downsampling to 4K and applying all enhancements in Duckstation. Incresing resolution can be detrimental at times. But high end PS2 games can look great just by increasing resolution and applying 16x AF. A good emulator should also help these games to hit target framerates more often.

Last edited:
If they are truly serious about preservation then they should port their games to PC at least PS3 ones. But even an official emulator could be great news. Hopefully this is a first step towards the return of the old peak Sony (PS1 - PS2)

PS1 game visuals are an adquired taste even when downsampling to 4K and applying all enhancements in Duckstation. Incresing resolution can be detrimental at times. But high end PS2 games can look great just by increasing resolution and applying 16x AF. A good emulator should also help these games to hit target framerates more often.

Most major Sony PS3 games have PS4 ports that have preserved them. The ones that haven't largely aren't worth it.

That still remains true, the team is likely going to be aimed at filling the new PS+ with BC enhanced games. Hence the requirement.

This isn't about BC, it's about preserving games going forward making it easier to remaster and remake them.

CosmicComet

A PS3 emulator would be awesome and welcome news.

I haven't had Sony news that made me happy in a long time but this would be huge for me.

Last edited:
Most major Sony PS3 games have PS4 ports that have preserved them. The ones that haven't largely aren't worth it.
MGS4, Killzone 2~3, Resistance 1~3, Infamous 1~2, Ratchet & Clank games (6 I think), Demon's Souls... come on.

Not to mention that with a proper emulator you could get access to third-party games that didn't get ported to PS4 as well like RDR or GTAIV.

Last edited:
I was thinking that. Maybe he felt that those games needed to be brought back to modern standards?
Jim Ryan redemption arc:
- He was criticizing Gran Turismo looks because he wanted better PS1 emulation.
- Crossgen games were just a late decision to make PS4 port of PS5 games because he was thinking of people who wouldn't be able to find a PS5.
- Lack of game announcement was to take pressure away from devs.
- $70 was him just keeping up with inflation so he wouldn't have to close down more studios like Japan Studios.
:messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom