• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Creates Game Preservation Team

John Wick

But PlayStation players don't care about backwards compatibility and don't buy new consoles to play old games. Or so they've been saying...
Why are you trying to stereotype for? I'm not that bothered with BC for platforms like PS1, PS2 or PS3. PS4 BC is a bonus and makes sense due to the architecture.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The only console where Sony didn't offer backwards compatibility at all was the PS4. Prior to the PS4, Sony had consistently offered it.
PS3 didn't either except at launch. I'm not creating controversy, but just going off what the main guy in charge says publicly. He openly acted like playing old games is worthless. And now they're reversing course. That's a good thing.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
PS3 didn't either except at launch. I'm not creating controversy, but just going off what the main guy in charge says publicly. He openly acted like playing old games is worthless. And now they're reversing course. That's a good thing.

Didn’t Phil from Microsoft state publicly about preserving old games? Is this a reaction to that?

sainraja

PS3 did have it at launch; the decision to remove b/c came after due to cost cutting measures. The later models still had limited backwards compatibility with PS2 and full compatibility with PS1, almost 100% — so it wasn't completely removed. The point was, Sony has offered b/c with majority of their consoles released up to this point, the main exception being the PS4 where we didn't have it at all.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
The only console where Sony didn't offer backwards compatibility at all was the PS4. Prior to the PS4, Sony had consistently offered it.
Come on pal. That’s disingenuous to say the least.

Sony stripped the PS3 of backwards compatibility on February 24th 2007.

So from February 2007 to the launch of the PS5 they’ve had no backwards compatibility.

Alternatively you could say ‘the PS2 was backwards compatible and the very first wave of PS3 consoles were too’.

On topic, this is fantastic. Not sure what they’re working on but I’d take bog standard digital rips of their PS1/2 catalogue. Dream scenario is native PS3 emulation and if they could do some upscaling tricks like Xbox do.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

So from February 2007 to the launch of the PS5 they’ve had no backwards compatibility.

Alternatively you could say ‘the PS2 was backwards compatible and the very first wave of PS3 consoles were too’.

On topic, this is fantastic. Not sure what they’re working on but I’d take bog standard digital rips of their PS1/2 catalogue. Dream scenario is native PS3 emulation and if they could do some upscaling tricks like Xbox do.

Don't forget that we in the EU got uttely shafted with the PS3, we got asked to pay massively more even with taxes taken into account but most glaringly in the 60GB model (the backwards compatable one) we had software emulation which was not only... just bad but didn't work for a huge wave of titles compared to the USA/Japan.

I still haven't forgotton to this day that we where asked to pay far more for an inferior version of the console that's sole purpose was to cut costs by not including PS2 hardware inside, that the US/Japan versions of the console came with.

It's what ended in me only buying a PS3 long into the generation. This change towards game preservation even if its small, is an important first step.

Last edited:

sainraja

No. It still had backwards compatibility. I've owned the original PS3 and currently have a slim. See post below.
PS3 did have it at launch; the decision to remove b/c came after due to cost cutting measures. The later models still had limited backwards compatibility with PS2 and full compatibility with PS1, almost 100% — so it wasn't completely removed. The point was, Sony has offered b/c with majority of their consoles released up to this point, the main exception being the PS4 where we didn't have it at all.

I acknowledged that they did cut it, but the point was that they offered it with each generation. PS3's generation was where they were forced to make changes due to decisions they had made. They had to bring the cost down; it still wasn't completely gone. Like it or not.

EDIT
In my original post, I chose not to go into all the details because most of us are aware of why b/c was adjusted on the PS3 and wasn't offered on the PS4. But perhaps wrong call there as I have had to explain twice. The point was, it was offered by Sony each generation. If you don't want to count the PS3, fine by me but it doesn't change that Sony had offered it.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
No. It still had backwards compatibility. I've owned the original PS3 and currently have a slim. See post below.

I acknowledged that they did cut it, but the point was that they offered it with each generation. PS3's generation was where they were forced to make changes due to decisions they had made. They had to bring the cost down; it still wasn't completely gone. Like it or not.

EDIT
In my original post, I chose not to go into all the details because most of us are aware of why b/c was adjusted on the PS3 and wasn't offered on the PS4. But perhaps wrong call there as I have had to explain twice. The point was, it was offered by Sony each generation. If you don't want to count the PS3, fine by me but it doesn't change that Sony had offered it.
I think it’s further confused by regional differences - as STARSBarry STARSBarry said above the EU received a really gimped PS3 from the start, there were only approx. 1/3rd or PS2 titles playable through backwards compatibility.

The US and Japan received much better support.

MaKTaiL

MGS4, Killzone 2~3, Resistance 1~3, Infamous 1~2, Ratchet & Clank games (6 I think), Demon's Souls... come on.

Not to mention that with a proper emulator you could get access to third-party games that didn't get ported to PS4 as well like RDR or GTAIV.
Add Dead Space trilogy to the mix as well.

Add Dead Space trilogy to the mix as well.
There a lot more I didn't include, plenty of games that are unlikely to be remastered at this point but that would make sense to sell if there was an easy way to make them playable on the new hardware.

Is Sony ever going to remake or even remaster Heavenly Sword? Never, but if all they needed to do was to fix some incompatibilities on a PS3 emulator I could see them doing it.

Last edited:

yurinka

Didn’t Phil from Microsoft state publicly about preserving old games? Is this a reaction to that?
Yes, Phil said companies should make an effort to preserve games.

But I assume he mostly said it as PR bullshit to brag about having done more effort than the other platform holders with BC games, maybe to cover the lack of new exclusives compared to the other platform holders with back catalog from previous generations.

Notice that now that they'll start to get a fair amount of new exclusives they stopped to add games from previous consoles.

I assume that more than an a reaction to that quote, it comes from one of the Sony goals as corporate level, which is to push and expand their direct to consumer digital services and stores (which in gaming means PSN and PS+) and part of it they aim to increase their content and IP, in addition to increase their markets (meaning cloud gaming supported in more countries and a download only option for countries without cloud gaming, plus -in the future- to sell PSN games on mobile and PC).

And an easy and cheap way to add a lot of game content, that in the future would be easy to play it natively on PC and mobile, is with games from old platforms. And well, excluding PS4 all PS consoles and portables also featured BC and with digital games many of them with crossbuy, these things weren't invented by MS. So it wouldn't be rare to see Sony doing it again.

Last edited:

sainraja

I think it’s further confused by regional differences - as STARSBarry STARSBarry said above the EU received a really gimped PS3 from the start, there were only approx. 1/3rd or PS2 titles playable through backwards compatibility.

The US and Japan received much better support.
All PS1 titles were fully compatible with all versions as far as I know (there were some exceptions but most popular titles would play). Now, of course, due to the decisions Sony management made with the PS3 (the cost being one) is what ultimately lead them to remove b/c to cut costs. I wish Sony had found a better way to cut costs and invested more in it but it is what it is. Personal take, but if things had gone better at launch, EU might have also received better compatibility than they did.

PS1 titles luckily were still compatible. Anyway, all I was saying is Sony had offered b/c with each generation, minus PS4. PS5 isn't currently compatible with PS1/2 but it does offer b/c. Now if they can offer full support to all their back catalog, that will be even better.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yes, Phil said companies should make an effort to preserve games.

But I assume he mostly said it as PR bullshit to brag about having done more effort than the other platform holders with BC games, maybe to cover the lack of new exclusives compared to the other platform holders with back catalog from previous generations.

Notice that now that they'll start to get a fair amount of new exclusives they stopped to add games from previous consoles.

Look at what they did last gen regarding back compatibility, they had lots of games on the console but you may of not liked them that’s personal preference. So he only said it for PR but now Sony are doing it then it ain’t for PR?

Phil said ALL companies have a responsibilty to preserve old games not just Microsoft. They have also had a hand in preserving other peoples games to be playable on the backwards compatability program so it ain’t just PR about their own games.

yurinka

Look at what they did last gen regarding back compatibility, they had lots of games on the console but you may of not liked them that’s personal preference. So he only said it for PR but now Sony are doing it then it ain’t for PR?

Phil said ALL companies have a responsibilty to preserve old games not just Microsoft. They have also had a hand in preserving other peoples games to be playable on the backwards compatability program so it ain’t just PR about their own games.
I like them implementing BC and including games from previous consoles, and I agree with his sentence. And I think he's awesome in terms of PR, probably the best one in the gaming business.

What I called PR bullshit isn't to do their work in BC, it's the sentence about the responsability of preserving games weeks or months before announcing they stop adding games from previous generations. I think they did a great job with BC but that sentence was an hypocrite and demagogic PR sentence. Like when the Activision Blizzard mess got viral and he claimed to be “disturbed and deeply troubled”, and saying he was to reevaluate their relationship with them, just to call Kotick a couple of days later to buy them and keep him as CEO.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I like them implementing BC and including games from previous consoles, and I agree with his sentence. And I think he's awesome in terms of PR, probably the best one in the gaming business.

What I called PR bullshit isn't to do their work in BC, it's the sentence about the responsability of preserving games weeks or months before announcing they stop adding games from previous generations. I think they did a great job with BC but that sentence was an hypocrite and demagogic PR sentence. Like when the Activision Blizzard mess got viral and he claimed to be “disturbed and deeply troubled”, and saying he was to reevaluate their relationship with them, just to call Kotick a couple of days later to buy them and keep him as CEO.

The weeks where they announced they were stop doing the back compat they said it was to do with licencing and that’s why they said companies have a responsibility to preserve the games, they would like to do more i am guessing.

and yeah he did say they would reevaluate their relationship, they bought them so it was reevaluated lol. They took them in house, none of what he said was lying from a certain point of view hahaha

yurinka

The weeks where they announced they were stop doing the back compat they said it was to do with licencing and that’s why they said companies have a responsibility to preserve the games, they would like to do more i am guessing.

and yeah he did say they would reevaluate their relationship, they bought them so it was reevaluated lol. They took them in house, none of what he said was lying from a certain point of view hahaha
This is why he's so good at PR: he can be super demagogic and hypocrite, and even use any bad new to find a way to sell his product or company in a convincing way and with a straight face, twisting whatever is needed but without lying. And even beyond that: to replicate something the market leader did for ages before him and to convince people he's an innovator pioneer and that the market leader is copying him for continue doing something the market leader already did before. Or to make people think they are market leaders when they aren't even the 2nd.

This is super complicated. They are masters of PR, and specifically Phil Spencer (or well, whoever does his PR training, research and briefing).

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Great news, on paper anyway.

Game preservation is important as there are so many games that aren't available on modern platforms and have been lost to time. However, what I'd like to see is full preservation. I want every single game ever released for all PlayStation consoles to be available to purchase as individual downloads or to stream.

Microsoft and Nintendo need to do the same as well.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I give zero fucks about any game 2-3 years old, let alone real old games. I'm not Sony fans though, I'm just one.
That's because you probably played the ones you were interested in. I am basically in the same boat. This is cool for younger people who are just getting into gaming as this will make it possible for them to play some classics without having to deal with emulators or begging for remasters/remakes.

ZoukGalaxy

Oh wow, great news.
Let's hope we'll be able to see the difference.

Let's start with downloadable updates packages for physical gamess from a PS consoles or from a web browser (PC, mobile...) and Let's be able to apply them from any USB devices like the good old XBOX 360 TITLE UPDATE ! 💖😻💖

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Great news, on paper anyway.

Game preservation is important as there are so many games that aren't available on modern platforms and have been lost to time. However, what I'd like to see is full preservation. I want every single game ever released for all PlayStation consoles to be available to purchase as individual downloads or to stream.

Microsoft and Nintendo need to do the same as well.
Unfortunately that jus isn't an option because of licensing in sports games.

Take a less known game like Olympic Soccer from the PS1 as a prime example. The license was never provided in perpetuity to the publisher/developer and the developer is long gone. The best PlayStation can do in that situation is allow disc copies to be player/transferred and used in an emulator on new consoles.

Licensing is the real enemy of game preservation IMHO, and I would like to see a future where games are developed with all timed licensing factored out so all the game modes still work without a online connection - with substitute assets used in place of all the timed assets, thereby encouraging licensors to remove the timed element, or accept that the license is worth significantly less to the gaming public if it means the game can't be preserved with the licensed assets. A GT7 game of the year edition with all timed assets removed and online requirement removed would be a great way to start IMO.

Operating in a more transparent way - like I've described - with the gaming consumer would probably help push down the costs of licensing and minimise the amount of licensors putting time limits on things that eternally help their brands, not harm them.

yurinka

Unfortunately that jus isn't an option because of licensing in sports games.

Take a less known game like Olympic Soccer from the PS1 as a prime example. The license was never provided in perpetuity to the publisher/developer and the developer is long gone. The best PlayStation can do in that situation is allow disc copies to be player/transferred and used in an emulator on new consoles.

Licensing is the real enemy of game preservation IMHO, and I would like to see a future where games are developed with all timed licensing factored out so all the game modes still work without a online connection - with substitute assets used in place of all the timed assets, thereby encouraging licensors to remove the timed element, or accept that the license is worth significantly less to the gaming public if it means the game can't be preserved with the licensed assets. A GT7 game of the year edition with all timed assets removed and online requirement removed would be a great way to start IMO.

Operating in a more transparent way - like I've described - with the gaming consumer would probably help push down the costs of licensing and minimise the amount of licensors putting time limits on things that eternally help their brands, not harm them.
I think there is a solution for Sony to preserve old licensed games (sports, racing, movies, licensed music tracks...), complete as they were originally:
  • Fully emulate your old console and portables on your digital platform (PSN) on PC, mobile and all current and future consoles
  • Include their full catalog on the servers to play them natively there or via cloud
  • Sell digitally as new games only the games you're allowed to sell as new due to licensing
  • Allow 2nd hand market for new and old digital games
  • Allow to run your physical games on modern platforms getting a digital copy of it even if the game isn't available to buy it new
  • This would ensure games are preserved in the servers, and even if the games that can't be sold as new due to licensing players would be able to buy them as 2nd hand game both in digital and in physical and to play them in current and future platforms

Last edited:

You forgot about the Vita. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Can't blame them that much for what happened with the PS3, they were really ambitious and got punished more than anyone for it. The idea of including the PS2 hardware inside it was awesome and the PS3 hardware had a lot of great features like HDMI, HDD on all models, Wifi, Blu-ray, wireless controller (rechargeable battery), no paywall and OtherOS, all things the original 360 didn't even have (some of them were included in later models) .The Cell is what fucked everything and does to this day, Sony Icarus moment really. The OG PS3 was great value, it has the PS1, PS2 and PS3 hardware in it.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Thought I boot up my PS3 and see how it was doing.
It's only been 9 year's
Need to update firmware 🙄

I'm actually surprised MGS4 doesn't look as bad as that recent Digital Foundry video.
Guess my TV just has a good upscaler.

By God, I forgot PS3 did uncompressed audio 😳
It sounds fantastic

Last edited:
Happy to hear this. I know a vast majority of the gaming population wouldn’t care but this is important for the medium. One of the things I loved about the launch PS3 was the ability to play old PS1/PS2 titles. I double dipped on quite a few PS1 titles so I could have them digitally for play on the console or portable on the go.

Sonys back catalogue deserves to be preserved and maintained. Besides Nintendo, I don’t know any one else with such a varied title lineup. Say what you will but the experience of booting up a 8 year old save of Dragon Age Origins on my XSX and it picking up exactly where I left off was amazing. Do all the remasters you want, just have the option to buy/experience the OG title for those willing/interested.

Last edited:

SSfox

Thought I boot up my PS3 and see how it was doing.
It's only been 9 year's
Need to update firmware 🙄

I'm actually surprised MGS4 doesn't look as bad as that recent Digital Foundry video.
Guess my TV just has a good upscaler.

By God, I forgot PS3 did uncompressed audio 😳
It sounds fantastic

PS3 has outstanding sound quality, i noticed it was much better that Xbox 360, and even PS4 actually.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
With them moving PSPlus towards a more GamePass-like offering they need masses of content. And the cheapest way to procure that is to dig deep into the back catalogue.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

jigglet

Banned
This is awesome news. Just wondering why it took them so fucking long?

My view is they probably thought it was a once off initiative at MS that wouldn't receive long term support. After so many years I think it's clear it's a serious initiative at MS and they realise they need to take it seriously also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom