• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Creates Game Preservation Team

sachos

I really hope they offer ways to actually but them and not just put them on a sub service. They also need to apply upgrades to BC games, same way you can on PC emulators. I was playing Tenchu 2 on DuckStation the other day in 4K with the polygon/texture warpping issues fixed and it looked really good, i did this with an i3 4170 and GTX 960, the PS5 hardware is more than capable enough to run PS1, PS2 and PSP games in 4K.

AGRacing

This is the best news I've heard from PlayStation in probably 2+ years. Hope we get to see results from this new team soon.

sainraja

But PlayStation players don't care about backwards compatibility and don't buy new consoles to play old games. Or so they've been saying...
Drop the console war narrative childishness. People mostly spoke of priority, not the lack of caring. Also don't forget, PlayStation players were offered b/c with PS2 and then PS3. It didn't matter to 'Xbox' players when they didn't have it.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Actions speak louder than words.
I'm expecting bare bones effort.

Shoddy upscaled 480p with zero enhancement options like playing a ps1 game etc at higher native resolutions and adding anti aliasing settings.

Basically I'm expecting the what they did with ps3 only worse.
Just keeping my hype in check until further notice.

MGS4, Killzone 2~3, Resistance 1~3, Infamous 1~2, Ratchet & Clank games (6 I think), Demon's Souls... come on.

Not to mention that with a proper emulator you could get access to third-party games that didn't get ported to PS4 as well like RDR or GTAIV.
Mgs isn’t a Sony game

Resistance, infamous, and ratchet and clank really aren’t worth remastering.

Demon souls just got remade… come on

But PlayStation players don't care about backwards compatibility and don't buy new consoles to play old games. Or so they've been saying...
Well, when this is the only thing you have to offer this becomes a problem... unless you want to sell micro consoles like tne SNES mini. etc.

Actions speak louder than words.
I'm expecting bare bones effort.
"We'll just take Redump's ISO set and claim it as our own, while not letting anyone check out the Dengeki Playstations or Taikenban discs."

Logistically speaking, what is there in need of preservation that Sony, as a first party, can actually do something about? They can't bring back the Sega Channel or Satellaview. They don't have a vast line of mysterious undumped PC game libraries. I sincerely doubt they're going to "preserve" anything they wouldn't be able to sell to the public or functionally use, so old source code for their first party games is not too likely. About the only thing I can think of would be them holding on to assets and source code for third-party titles, which may or may not necessarily be something I'd entrust Sony with depending on what combination of studios and assets are involved.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Do they have games worth preserving? (Joke) so the mods don’t ban me.

I know that Knack but be preserved at all cost.

Knightime_X

pgm0vxu.jpg

Faithless83

Banned
P3sVHzl.png

Part of Sony patent back then, it's all pointing towards the future. Why stop on PS3/2/1 games?
PS4 games on PS5 could take advantage of this.

Besides, they need a "cheap" library to put on the new plus.

fersnake

I'm 37 and sure I would love to have that option but I really don't care playing old games anymore so it's not a big deal to me.

ANIMAL1975

Well its pretty easy to not care about something that isn't possible on your platform.

Then when it gets available then everyone wants it.

Yes because the dozens and dozens of Gaffers in here who have been written those comments, are the public image of the general thinking of the PlayStation consumers in the world. Aiaiai

P3sVHzl.png

Part of Sony patent back then, it's all pointing towards the future. Why stop on PS3/2/1 games?
PS4 games on PS5 could take advantage of this.

Besides, they need a "cheap" library to put on the new plus.
Great finding mate thanks, this is awesome and should be obligatory because gaming to me is art and should be preserved like all forms of art.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Have nothing negative to say on this one, good job Sony. Will be watching with interest to see how it pans out.

Hopefully someway to restore titles such as Warhawk or MAG.

Last edited:

Larxia

I give zero fucks about any game 2-3 years old, let alone real old games. I'm not Sony fans though, I'm just one.
I don't understand this, why this specific 2-3 years window? What if you missed a game that you could actually really enjoy?

There are 5+ years old games that still look better than current games, and there are some 15 to 20 years old games still more fun to play than some modern games too, so it's really not a matter of age.
I don't see what the age of games have to do with anything in how you should enjoy them.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
"Native 240p" or bust......ahhh who I am kidding its sony.....the 480i kings the PS3 days were such a missed opportunity

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't understand this, why this specific 2-3 years window? What if you missed a game that you could actually really enjoy?

There are 5+ years old games that still look better than current games, and there are some 15 to 20 years old games still more fun to play than some modern games too, so it's really not a matter of age.
I don't see what the age of games have to do with anything in how you should enjoy them.

Let him be. Its his loss

PaintTinJr

Only came into the thread to see the punchline.

Was expecting it to read

Sony Creates Game Preservation Team...and fires them into the sun - on Jim's mark.​

They deliver every gen with great games IMO, but they've had a bad attitude toward those great games (bomberman kart, 3d dot game heroes, modnation racers, motorstorm, kz3, etc) the following gen. Their stance on B/C is bad for the environment, making us keep old power inefficient lead based soldered hardware around to play our old games on disc. Even PES 2021 update on PS5 has 30sec hangs in the master league save menu and sporadically loses d-pad navigation and that's a game that would have been going gold when the PS4 SDK would have been PS5 aware.

This is awesome news. Just wondering why it took them so fucking long?

My answer - going by the punchline - was they were waiting for a cost effective rocket from Elon.

Hopefully they've finally seen sense and will provide full disc based support for everything through emulation, even old sports games with defunct licensing all the way back to PS1, even if we have to put the disc in a PC and the PS App rips and transfers across a LAN - to satisfy our retro minority - to get some positive vibe about them charging newcomers for these games.

SSfox

About damn time I hear some good news about Sony after all those recent lame news.

Hopefully it is what I think it is, so many games i would gladly replay personally.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
We already have physical games.
They just need to make it possible for patches to be downloaded to external storage.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Because I buy anything that interests me. If a games passes like 2-3 years without me buying it then it's not worth my time to begin with. I got plenty of free time and can afford whatever game is available. That's my standard, not a rule to go by. Everybody has different situations, some are rich but have very scarce free time for gaming, or some have enough time but can't afford many games day one.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

You're probably right. Thats on me for not reading other forums than Gaf.
The forums most of the time are not an example for nothing, people are arguing with strangers and unconsciously in the heat of the discussion say things that probably don't practice in the real world _ go to the extremes. It's like that other user said replying to you, when ps2 and PS3 had BC and Xbox didn't it was the other way around. I for one always valued and need it _ because of my low income i always have to sell the old hardware to enter new Gen, and i don't want to lose my old games that cost me money and that i love, simple as that.

sainraja

Better late than never. Xbox forced them to flip their position 180 degrees. In the end everyone wins here from solid competition.

Would be nice if the preserved games are available for purchase though and not just subs only.
The only console where Sony didn't offer backwards compatibility at all was the PS4. Prior to the PS4, Sony had consistently offered it.

SaucyJack

Well despite the somewhat snide dig here …..

Most gamers, regardless of platform, don’t care much about really old games. But that doesn’t mean that gamers don’t care about it at all, we can all have a bit of fun playing around with old games even if they’re graphically a bit crap. Personally I played a grand total of 2 PS3 games in the last 12 months using streaming out of a total that probably approaches 100 games played, I might play a little bit more if it was easier I.e. if able to download and play using emulation. I think this is probably fairly typical - a small number care a lot about BC and old games but the majority care a little.

IMO this doesn’t mean that platform holders should ignore it, but rather they should invest in preservation in proportion to the interest. Even 0.5% of Playstation revenue would be a good $200 million per year. As an annual budget I’m sure that would more than ample to do what needs to be done.

sainraja

If a person plays on a PS1 or PS2, or (through an emulator) Sony really has no data as to how many people are playing those games. Those old consoles aren't online to report to Sony, and I doubt an emulator reports anything to them. So them saying no one plays old games is just supposition.
That's a good point but they could have easily done research surveys asking people if they utilize feature A, feature B, etc. I can only assume they had a google sample of people taking those otherwise that data would be useless too. Or if your PS3 tracked the type of application you were starting and people were sharing that data, that would be another way they could know. They don't really need to know which games were being played necessarily, just that they are or aren't.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
But according to Xbox compatibility thread nobody wants to play old games?? joking

this is a great move. Should always be able to play the game we love like watching the classic films we love. I for one would love to still play PS1 ridge racer, yeah you can emulate it but i like the convenience of picking up the ps controller on my to and just playing those games on my PlayStation

Saber

Gold Member
Well if really is preservation as they say, then its pretty good news.

But I'm pretty sure people will spin it as bad or nitpick anyway.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Well if really is preservation as they say, then its pretty good news.

But I'm pretty sure people will spin it as bad or nitpick anyway.

Am imaging the only people who will spin this is the same people who went into the backwards compatibility thread and said they they should be spending the rescuorces on new games. I think its better to be able to have the older games and new games. This is a huge positive step for gaming.

Pallas

Gold Member
I’m happy that Sony is at lest being serious enough to form a team for game preservation. I’m kind of excited to see what ps classics get added when their new service launches.

yurinka

Great news. I don't know what exactly this game preservation team is going to do, but game preservation is one of the big issues of this industry.

It would be nice to start making sure that digital stores for old platforms don't close. Then to emulate all the games possible in new platforms in the best possible way (if possible with nice optional improvements as many emulators for PC or Xbox do), allowing to play both the digital and physical games you bought (without needing to buy them again) for old platforms in the new ones, and also allow you to buy them for the new ones and to include them in PS (at least the ones without licensing issues).

That would mean to aim to emulate on PS4 and PS5 (and somewhere in the future PC and mobile too) the biggest amount possible of PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and (in the future) PS Mobile, PS Minis and PS Vita games.

And also to figure out a way to preserve online only games, that depend on servers and that in some point the company needs to shut down because to keep the servers up has a cost but at some point games stop generating revenue. So in order to preserve games first they have to figure out a way to keep the servers alive forever and second they have to figure out a way to revive servers of games that were shut down.

Seeing that percentage of digital sales constantly incresing and 'soon' killing physical sales, that game subs and cloud are growing, and that console platform holders are expanding to mobile or PC, plus the hardware of consoles, portables, PC and mobile are converging into a single hardware family, leads to think that in the long term PlayStation will evolve into a hardware agnostic digital platform, and that will compete against Xbox, Nintendo, Steam, Google or Apple hardware agnostic digital platforms.

In that future catalog of games will be key, and if they can count with most games of the whole PlayStation history that could be a a good point for them. Even if most players won't play the old games will help many to decide to keep using or join their platform. And well, not even in the far future: in the short term it may help their current PS4, PS5 and PS+ to have the biggest amount possible of games from previous PS platforms.

Well, this is a fact. He didn't lie and wasn't wrong and in his position he had more data about this topic than you and me.

- Crossgen games were just a late decision to make PS4 port of PS5 games because he was thinking of people who wouldn't be able to find a PS5.
He never said they were going to avoid crossgen games. In the 'we believe in generations' interview he said they were going to keep supporting PS4 for several years because they had like 100 million monthly active players there and that a big majority of them don't jump to the next gen during the first years (and this time with the lack of chips even less).

- Lack of game announcement was to take pressure away from devs.
'Lack' of game announcements is because the Sony games released since around the PS5 release (Jimbo became CEO around a year before that) get announced (with the exception of Wolverine) around half a year or a year and a half before their intended release. And for the remasters with extra content and MLB, under 5 months before their release

Sony now focuses their marketing on games to be released in the next few months or maybe a year or so, both 1st, 2nd and 3rd party. Instead of showing logos and cgs of games to be released over 4 or 6 years in the future.

Sony has been releasing almost all the games they had announced, so in the following months they will announce and show more (mostly the H2 2022 and 2023 ones).

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
if that's what i think it is then it will be one less straw to clutch at for those who have a death like grip on their little plastic boxes. good to see sony preparing for the all digital future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom