• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony debunks Bloomberg info (again): They never planned to stop PS4 production last year, PS4 production increase not related with PS5

SSfox

Imagine how great would it be if Sony would stop wasting time about what other random websites say and bring us full BC on PS5?

XXL

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

yurinka

Yet they should have managed this if true, because we in GAF and people other boards presumed that no PS4 were being made already, I've not seen a single soul question that... They're were incompetent to deal with missinformation by not speaking earlier or are backtracking their plans since they want more money from possible PS4 owners

They could make a mistake once, but constantly and on the same direction by certain 'journalists' isn't a coincidence or being incompetent. It means they are doing it on purpose, specially when the company debunks you on multiple times. A good journalist if really got that from a proper source instead of mading it up, they could have asked Sony for confirmation or comments and they would have replied them "no comment" (if true, or if lucky would have got some extra info) or "lol, your kidding me. This is fake! -but with polite PR words-" (if false).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They arent making enough Ps4s in my opinion. How I can’t just walk into a gamestop and buy one is weird.

And why are PS4s still $300 MSRP??? Geez. They should cost $199 with a game and a free month of PS+ in my opinion. The PS4 Pro should be $299 with a free game and a free month of PS+

Rayderism

One thing I thought odd was how Sony discontinued production of the PS4 Pro, but still produces the PS4 Slim. Just seems totally backwards to me. Should have canned the Slim and kept the Pro going.

dotnotbot

Sony is still releasing its big exclusive games on PS4 in 2022. Why would they stop production in 2021? Seems silly with cross-gen strategy.

One thing I thought odd was how Sony discontinued production of the PS4 Pro, but still produces the PS4 Slim. Just seems totally backwards to me. Should have canned the Slim and kept the Pro going.

Because slim is cheaper (to make at least).

Last edited:
Not exactly. It really depends on what is is especially if it affects their investors. For example we had a ton of negative rumors leading up to the PS5s reveal and Sony didn’t respond to any of them.

Yeah, if anything I’d say sony rarely responds to anything. Which is frustrating within itself

Kataploom

Gold Member
They could make a mistake once, but constantly and on the same direction by certain 'journalists' isn't a coincidence or being incompetent. It means they are doing it on purpose, specially when the company debunks you on multiple times. A good journalist if really got that from a proper source instead of mading it up, they could have asked Sony for confirmation or comments and they would have replied them "no comment" (if true, or if lucky would have got some extra info) or "lol, your kidding me. This is fake! -but with polite PR words-" (if false).
I meant Sony, not Bloomberg, in my first sentence

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
We shall see once Sony release the PS5 sales info soon

Last edited:

yurinka

So why PS4s impossible to find then?
I'd say Sony couldn't produce more due to chips shortage. According to Sony they want to continue producing it for some years and its low production isn't related to PS5. Demand it's there because it's hard to find, so I assume the cause is the lack of chips, that may also affect both PS5 and PS4.

As happened with PS5, PS4 and some of its accesories have been hard to find at least here in Spain. It wasn't easy for me to find a new black DualShock 4 v2, had to buy it from an unknown internet store.

Last edited:

oldergamer

I'd say Sony couldn't produce more due to chips shortage. According to Sony they want to continue producing it for some years and its low production isn't related to PS5. Demand it's there because it's hard to find, so I assume the cause is the lack of chips, that may also affect both PS5 and PS4.

As happened with PS5, PS4 and some of its accesories have been hard to find at least here in Spain. It wasn't easy for me to find a new black DualShock 4 v2, had to buy it from an unknown internet store.
I dont know if that makes sense. Why would it be more difficult for sony to make PlayStation 4 then it would ms making series s? It wasnt that there was low supply, it was no supply for a long time.

Yeah, yeah. Debunked just like with low allocation of Playstation consoles in Japan and just like with japanese studios...
I always amazed how people believe whatever Sony says like a cult.
why should Sony send ps5 to Japan ? is Japan special ? Japan is Nintendo land. And handheld land.
who the f*ck started saying Japan has this "problem" with not having ps5 ? no country has ps5 at stock.
Bloomberg has been lying about ps5 and Sony for last 2 years. I'm supposed to believe them ?
they were spreading rumors how ps5 has heating problems and Sony cut down production of ps5

yurinka

I dont know if that makes sense. Why would it be more difficult for sony to make PlayStation 4 then it would ms making series s? It wasnt that there was low supply, it was no supply for a long time.
Maybe they have the same difficulty to be produced and they produce the same amount of units of both, but there's more demand for PS4s so PS4 got sell out, so it's difficult/impossible to find PS4 in the stores but easy to find Series S.

If we look at the shipments of PS4, we'll notice that in the quarter previous to PS5 release it tanks hard (previous PS only had a slight decrease during the release of their succesor) and keeps very low until now. Meaning Sony decreased PS4 production and shipments. And availability in the stores has been low or non-existant since then, meaning that demand is there so they didn't decrease production and shipments do to low demand.

And Sony mentioned that as happened with their previous consoles they wanted to continue selling it and releasing stuff for it during years, meaning that Sony wants to produce them, and we see that demand is there, but for some reason they couldn't produce more PS4s.

We know that PS5 had a gaming history record release, but they weren't able to produce and ship more units due to covid and specially chips shortages. They saw there was demand there for way more PS5s but they produced all the ones that the chip shortage allowed them. So probably their production and shipments were saturated with PS5 so had to decrease PS4 production and shipment temporally, beyond what they wanted to make room for PS5s.

And on top of that, covid and chips shortages may also impacted PS4 production and shipments because even if PS5 production and shipments were in record levels, they were record levels for a launch, while in production peaks previous PS produced and shipped way more units. Meaning that something else different than PS5 prevented them to ship more PS4s and the main remaining candidate is the lack of chips that affected not only the production of consoles but also a ton of other devices.

So pretty likely, if it's real that they will increase the production of PS4 in a million now, maybe it's because they got the needed chips for that now. And if they would have received them before they would have increased that million before.

Last edited:

yurinka

Yeah, yeah. Debunked just like with low allocation of Playstation consoles in Japan and just like with japanese studios...
I always amazed how people believe whatever Sony says like a cult.
So ccording to you Death Stranding Director's Cut doesn't exist because the XDEV Japanese team that published it doesn't exist because they shut it down.

When the reality is that they simply moved it to a separate team, because now all global XDEV teams report to XDEV instead of to local gamedev teams as it was the case with Japan Studio. This XDEV Japanese team not only continues existing, it's growing and published Death Stranding Director's Cut after moving away from Japan Studio.

Then there's the other part of Japan Studio, their internal 1st party development teams. Who weren't able to make a hit in decades, made many turds like Knack and unprofitable huge money pits like The Last Guardian, development that any other publisher would have cancelled. They did something that had to be done years ago: to restructure it changing the leadership, cut the fat and focus on their more productive internal team: Team Asobi. So they rebranded the studio to Team Asobi and started to grow it after restructuring with many job positions open as of now. But obviously according to you it doesn't exist because they also shutted it down.

They also have Polyphony, who is going to release GT7, but yes, according to you doesn't exist.

Same goes with From Software (Bloodborne, Deracine, Demon's Souls) or Kojipro (Death Stranding, Death Stranding Director's Cut), the Japanse 2nd party stuff comes from people like them but they don't seem to exist for you.

Sony also months ago made a deal with Kadokawa (who owns From Soft and a ton of Japanese publishers and gamedev studios) which according to you don't exist.

And then there's a ton of Japanese 3rd party exclusive games there (basically all known Japanese 3rd party company has at least a PS4 exclusive), which also don't exist according to you because Sony doesn't give a fuck about Japanese studios.

Same goes with Japanese multiplatform games: all of them are released on PS but according to you don't exist because they don't give a fuck.

And obviosly, if they can only produce and ship a small amount of units for the whole world, only a portion of that small amount is for Japan, which isn't a top market for them or for the console market in general outside handhelds. Obviously the majority of their units produced go to their biggest markets (EU and USA).

You're the one who seem to be the one in a cult.

Did PS4 pass the 120M mark ?
We still don't know the previous quarter numbers, but I'd say in a 99.99% it didn't reach 120M. As of September 30th it was at 116.6M shipped. This quarter it has been difficult to find it in the stores, pretty likely meaning they shipped a low amount of them, so pretty likely it's still under 120M.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
ah was this the news.....lol they producing more PS4 because ? planning more cross-gen or selling obsolete and soon unsupported hw to naive customers ?

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Successful consoles stay in production a few years after the launch of a new generation. This isn't new.
yeah but never heard before of increment of production of a basically a very unsupported console.
this is a prime time

Last edited:
Top Bottom