• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony demands appropriate investigation over Qatar winning World Cup 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

I don't think Russia should have got it either. They are next and that was bought no doubt and their rights abuses among other problems.

China never should have got the Olympics with their human rights abuses.

Fifa and IOC like to use the excuse of spreading the spirit and values of the sport and games but it's complete bs, only for profit.

The countries should be worthy and capable in the right way before getting any such tournament.

How do you become worthy?

Previous

check out my new Swatch
dresscode.png

Sony is against the Qatar dress code for foreigners

I don't get how the third one goes against the rules.. No muffin tops? What about beer bellies?

Good for Sony, hope other sponsors follow up.

Yeah you're probably right, there's just something horribly depressing about 1,000 people dying for a bunch of half-built stadiums that would never get used. Awful situation no matter how you look at it, and good on Sony for doing this.

If the worker deaths continue at the same rate they have we're looking at either:

1000+ deaths with half-built stadiums that will never be used or

3000+ deaths with fully built stadiums that will only be used during the WC and never again

I'll take the fewest deaths possible.

bomma_man

Is Sony merely a sponsor or do they hold broadcast rights? I know that they cover the IPL exclusively and sell the feed.

Or is that an in house FIFA thing?

linsivvi

Even if some companies drop out, I find it hard to believe others won't rush to take their place.

If it becomes toxic, most international brands wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

And it will. The death toll is only going to rise and we are still 8 years away from it. The media need stories and they'll keep digging.

looks like sony is looking for an out of the sponsorship. don't think many companies will want to associate themselves with the qatar world cup.

That's a good point, Qatari WC could hurt their fragile brand even further & they can save even more money to stop the hemorrhaging they are currently experiencing.

Oersted

Is Sony merely a sponsor or do they hold broadcast rights? I know that they cover the IPL exclusively and sell the feed.

Or is that an in house FIFA thing?

Fifa sells the broadcast rights directly or through licensed companies, theoretically to the highest bidder. Sony received broadcasting rights for India, among with Seven 3.

Liamc723

This world cup has the potential to be a complete flop and disaster. They should take it away from Qatar and hand it to the UK or the US, we both have the facilities to host a world cup tomorrow.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Forgive my ignorance, but how prevalent is corruption in football?

I'm Canadian/US person so the things I follow are hockey and handegg.

Fifa is very corrupt but Qatar winning has pushed it too far.
It's so blatant because they were one of the worst candidates yet won, now there's already over a 1000 deaths just from building the stadiums with another 8 years to go...

They need to be stripped of the 2022 world cup ASAP before more people die.

Whether Fifa spins it off on people dying rather than corruption I don't care but it needs to be stopped.

xbhaskarx

Fox and American sponsors should demand the same, given how much money they're spending, and how much greater the return would be if the games were held in the US rather than Qatar.

Faddy

Banned
Even if some companies drop out, I find it hard to believe others won't rush to take their place.

The six main partners would get replaced by competitors in a flash

Sony = Samsung or Microsoft
Adidas = Nike
Visa = Mastercard
Coca-Cola = Pepsi or Red Bull
Emirates = Qatar Airways or Etihad
Hyundai/Kia = I'm sure there are plenty of car companies that would be interested

Over a thousand people have already died.
Those working on the stadiums are, near-as-makes no difference, slaves.
The corruption was too much, even for FIFA, and that's saying something.
The other countries bidding were the US, Australia, South Korea and Japan. Qatar was the worst candidate by far. They had nothing going for them, except shitloads of money.
It's far too hot, suggestions to move it to winter would fuck over a lot of leagues.
Floating air-conditioners

No alcool too. They will make alcool enable area for visitors lol. Then for the stadium, either move to winter and fuck leagues, or close them all and put and conditioning lol.

Then put the stadiums down and send them to african countries...

I mean, this is so much trouble for a country that has 0 history or culture of football or sports for that matter.

dresscode.png

Sony is against the Qatar dress code for foreigners

Shoulders and knees? Surely God will smite us all for shoulder + knee exposure!

Despite the fact that the World Cup is in the DESERT in SUMMER...no matter! Shoulders and knees are the ultimate display of deviousness!

Adidas = Nike
Visa = Mastercard
Hyundai/Kia = I'm sure there are plenty of car companies that would be interested

Don't see any of the American companies stepping in, especially with the chance of it coming here should it get taken from qatar

Portugeezer

Adidas = Nike
Visa = Mastercard
Millions would be lost, so either way it would be a good lesson for fucktards that run FIFA. Such corrupt bullshit, it's ridiculous that no one can get a proper investigation done.

They will never give it to US or UK if they take it away from Qatar because of political reasons. they know the shitstorm that will happen if they take the world cup from a middle eastern country to 2 countries which are not looked at fondly by many in the middle east/ They will give it to a country like France or Germany instead or even Japan or Australia but never US or UK

Tubie

Over a thousand people have already died.
Those working on the stadiums are, near-as-makes no difference, slaves.
The corruption was too much, even for FIFA, and that's saying something.
The other countries bidding were the US, Australia, South Korea and Japan. Qatar was the worst candidate by far. They had nothing going for them, except shitloads of money.
It's far too hot, suggestions to move it to winter would fuck over a lot of leagues.
Floating air-conditioners

This world cup has been a royal mess from the start.

I didn't know about the worker conditions, the winter world cup thing was bad enough... now all the corruption? Not even FIFA will be able to ignore this if it all proves to be true.

Good for Sony putting pressure on them and I bet other other sponsors will start voicing their concerns too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom