• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony didn’t pay for Metal Gear Solid 4 exclusivity ; Kojima did not want to make the port for Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKratos

That is 3 disc.
Some games had alot of disc's.

Plus didn't x360 and ps3 had internet?

He had alot of option. But opted out the easy way.

It explains why him and Konami had a fallout lately. You dont do stupid stuff like these, and miss out on those sales.

Then again it's Kojima. He lives in his own world.
What is this math?

SSfox

Kojima was the only one that stayed loyal to Sony during rough times at early PS3 gen, pretty much everyone other exclusive PS3 games have turned into multi.

Sony should never ever forget this.

Last edited:

Urban

That’s not a dig at Xbox. That’s poking fun at the original PlayStation game where you had to swap disks.
high quality GIF

The console wars were pretty spicey back then

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The common belief, at the time, was that using the PS3 as the lead machine and then porting to Xbox was easier than the other way round. Never looked into the veracity of that but that was the view back then.

It was preferable going that way as it avoided memory allocation issues. The PS3 had split pools, the 360 was unified.

Urban

Seems to be pretty heated now for you 😂

But yes this codec happens during the return to Shadow Moses area. It was obviously talking about the first game.
Na just reminiscing about the time back than…
Plus someone needs to tell the young generation about it. I’m past that “war” mindset. I enjoy every game on every Plattform

Why did they leave it to rot on PS3 though, why no PC port or PS4/XboxOne?
Hard game to retool, it's the only game on PS3 that uses the sys_overlay call which is why it took until 2018 for the emulators to get ingame with it.

It's a way to inject/load code on the fly, and it also did that with graphics rendering.

Think of MGS4 as a game developed by a developer that saw PS3 as 4 PS2's tied together (PS2-2 VU's vs PS3-7 SPE's) it had that old CPU controls GPU mantra going on that was obsolete at that point and went from the ground up with that briefing without a multiplatform implementation. It's a mess and at the same time developed as if Ken Kutaragi was having it his way.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Remember back then about the disk wars, but what i remember the most were people complaining about having to install games on a HDD.
"This is a PC thing!", "Consoles are supposed to be plug and play!" or "Don't make my experience overcomplicated!".

Nowadays this is basically the norm and now we have people complaining about graphical options on consoles.
"This is a PC thing!", "Consoles are supposed to be plug and play!" or "Don't make my experience overcomplicated!".

Between snake and fallout guy, now i know who was right about war.

Banned
wait... so he was ok with the game quite literally installing for 10 minutes AFTER EVERY CHAPTER IN THE GAME... but releasing it on multiple discs that you can swap within 10 seconds was "too complicated"?

wtf?

Last edited:

Banned

fun times those installs xD

for real tho, the only reason these installs needed to happen is because the PS3 loaded extremely slowly from BluRay, ad decompressing to that and you're in trouble.
so if they made a 360 port these installs would not have been necessary.

all they would have needed to do is to put every chapter onto its own disc and make you swap discs.

swapping dics takes up less than 1% of the time compared to these 10min installs

Last edited:
Not surprising. Japanese developers are understandly Sony fanboys. Looking at you Altus. Loyalty seems faaaaar more important to them than American developers who (understandly) follow the dollar and will release their games on a roster if the pay is good enough.

Drew1440

The original PS3 consoles had only 20GB hard disks, which is why MGS4 installed in different parts per chapter. Disk fragmentation could also be an issue, though the PS3 is supported to use a file system that's resilient to that.

As for the 360, Microsoft should have allowed for games to be packaged on the HD-DVD addon, for specific games that could have benefitted it, then again having games rely on addons early in the consoles life is not a good luck. Plus since its using USB, they may have been worried about security/piracy.

X360 had no hdd by default. It was mandated that on 360 games run off of the disc without a need for a HDD. 30GB isn't 3 discs it's 4 and even then it would be more since you need to duplicate data between them too and possibly change the structure of the game like Rage did.

Konami fell out with Kojima after MGSV which was multiplatform + PC. Nothing to do with missing out on sales.
That makes sense. However, for some reason I seem to remember some games later in the generation requiring a hard drive. That or I’m absolutely mental.

Swift_Star

Banned
Not surprising. Japanese developers are understandly Sony fanboys. Looking at you Altus. Loyalty seems faaaaar more important to them than American developers who (understandly) follow the dollar and will release their games on a roster if the pay is good enough.
That’s not how this works.

cireza

Banned
The DVD format would prove to be a problem for open games where you can access all places visited throughout the entirety of the game. Still, games like Lost Odyssey managed to do this with 4 discs. So I think there would have been a solution, especially for something linear like MGS.

Too bad ! This is a missed opportunity, in my opinion.

Kssio_Aug

Why not PC though. I just think it's sad that so many people didn't have the opportunity to play the last good mainline game on the franchise.

Yup

"Metal Gear Solid 5 sells 3 million copies — most of them on PlayStation 4. In the UK, 72 per cent of sales were on PS4"

It was a given that MGS5 would sell more on PS4, when it's predecessor was platform exclusive.

Last edited:

GHound

In an alternate reality where a 360 port released and they refused to back down from uncompressed audio there would have been enough common data per disc that we would have actually gotten the iconic 20 disc MGS4 boxset meme for real.

I want to be in that timeline instead, just for the memes.

Swift_Star

Banned
That is the fate of 3rd party games, which tries to lock their games on 1 system.
Final Fantasy VII Remake is not having this problem, though. Some games simply don’t sell on some platforms because their audience isn’t there.
Same goes for Kingdom Hearts series.

Final Fantasy XIII Debuts On Xbox 360 With Less Than 22,579 Units Sold

Not surprised at all. FFXIII flopped on 360.
Like I said, some games have no audience on xbox ecosystem.
1. FF has a different audience than MGS considering one is more western in inspiration than the other.

2. it was an old game when it released, so the intrigue was already dead.

3. MGS5 sold well on xbox even with the huge disparity in console sales. during the 360 era when the margin was smaller it would have bolstered the games sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom