• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony doesn't expect PlayStation 6 before 2027, confidential document suggests

Fredrik

Bold strategy considering they’re already dropping resolutions and in some case framerates.

I assume there will be Pro consoles though but I really don’t like the idea to have to pay $1000+ for each platform per generation.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Considering the rumor that the ps6 is all digital I’m begging for pro consoles cause those will be at least guaranteed to be physical
Ooof. That would be a hot in the fit as I am going hard physical this gen.
It’s the first time I am financially somewhat capable. Looks like I was born too late and will probably end up re buying these games in psn

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think we get Pro versions in 2024

PS5 Pro will also help visuals for PSVR2
Again, in order to make a visible dent you need a large boost in performance. How are you going to deliver it without raising prices further and making bigger boxes than we already have?

If we get them I think they will be an overall ripoff, meaning more beneficial to the manufacturers than console gamers and the cost of designing and making them will be taken out from the budget for the real next generation jump… so a customer foot gun?

We are not in the 90’s or 00’s anymore, manufacturing tech is slowing down (costs skyrocketing for more advanced nodes, diminishing returns in graphics meaning power increments vs noticeable impact in results).

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Don’t even care tbh. A new gen doesn’t excite me as it did. Too much bad stuff has been happening in the gaming sphere that i’m slowly losing interest.

Last edited:

NahaNago

It makes some sense since the ps4 was 2013 and ps5 was 2020. So the PS6 should launch in like 2027. I'd prefer 2026 but pushing it back later will give the next console more umph.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
LIR7btn.jpg

Annnnnd the bullshit clickbait articles have already begun.

Also funny thing, I just read an article about OP’s mom:
04cjewy.jpg

Orta

Banned
About right. This gen has been hamstrung by covid and shortages. That and there's not enough to warrant buying either console too.

Genx3

If they do decide to make Pro consoles they need to make sure that the hardware they target has an $800 budget.

Like I correctly stated last gen, $500 is not a big enough budget to make a large next gen leap, especially considering inflation.

The dollar today has about half the buying power it did in 2020.

An $800 budget today would be the equivalent of $400 just a few years ago.

Maybe go for a $1,000 budget.

Anchovie123

We´d need several times the 4090s power for full PT.....at ~300-400 bucks max. Let`s just say you guys are "optimistic".
Perhaps reconstruction technology will play a key part. Native resolutions are pretty much dead and the advancements made by FSR & DLSS by 2028 will probably make 1080p or even sub 1080p indistinguishable compared to native 4k. I only wish AMD wasn't so behind on the AI front.

Genx3

Good. Pro models are a cash grab. Let’s go back to when devs had to spend a console cycle actually optimizing for the consoles’ hardware.

Why does having more hardware options available to consumers bother some people?

I don't understand this train of thought.

If you don't want a Pro console you don't have to buy one, you can keep your PS5 or currently owned Series console while people willing to buy Pro consoles buy them. It does NOT affect you in any way.

sachos

Good. Give time for devs to max out current gen, there is a lot of untapped potential since we barely have true next gen games. Engines have to be rewriten to fully take advantage of current gen. Look at what devs extracted out of PS4 by the end of generation, they havent even started with PS5 yet.

PS5 released in 2020 with the power of a 2018 GPU (~RTX 2080), by 2028 if we follow the same model it should release with the power of a 2026 GPU, that would be RTX 6000 series. I hope we have full raytraced games/engines by then.

sachos

Why does having more hardware options available to consumers bother some people?

If you don't want a Pro console you don't have to buy one, you can keep your PS5 or currently owned Series console while people willing to buy Pro consoles buy them. It does NOT affect you in any way.
People seem to hate the feeling of not playing with the best hardware, its the same thing that happens with PC graphics settings were devs have to make "Ultra" settings not so Ultra since people wouldnt be able to run them and then complain the game is unoptimized.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
There will be a Pro model.
Given that both the Pro & XOX was underwhelming in terms of sales and discontinued and the current gen consoles being underutilized almost 3 years later and the ability to reach higher Resolution using software solutions while get those performance modes too.
Why would there a be a Pro model other then to waste money and resources and to please people's obsession with HFR.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Given that both the Pro & XOX was underwhelming in terms of sales and discontinued and the current gen consoles being underutilized almost 3 years later and the ability to reach higher Resolution using software solutions while get those performance modes too.
Why would there a be a Pro model other then to waste money and resources and to please people's obsession with HFR.
I don't want options I just want games at 4k, 60fps and ray tracing. If a PS5 Pro can manage that I'll buy it day one. I don't want a gaming PC I've spent thousands over the years and they're a hassel. I like the convenience of a console and from what I've seen here and on other forums people will pay for a premium console.

Because then they don’t put effort into optimizing for the base consoles. Late Gen games ran like shit on base PS4/X1 because X1X, and PS4Pro became the new target hardware. And it’s not like Sony or MS cared if devs optimized the games because having the non compromised experiences being on the mid Gen refreshes incentivized people to buy another system in the same Gen.

It’s not a hard thing to understand, especially when the gen before devs eventually optimized development for even PS3 with good results. We haven’t even really seen what native XSX and PS5 games can be, but yeah let’s make PS5pro and XSXX the target hardware and leave the consoles people just bought 2 years ago with crappy lazily optimized games.

TGO

from what I've seen here and on other forums people will pay for a premium console.
That's not good enough.
Like I said the Pro consoles wasn't a successful endeavour so I doubt Sony will do it again.
And until we actually see current gen games we can't really determine if a Mid-gen refresher is needed at all.
And the time for that is only going to be when resolution and frame rate drops below 1080p30fps
And with the new upscaling methods that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Last edited:
Again, in order to make a visible dent you need a large boost in performance. How are you going to deliver it without raising prices further and making bigger boxes than we already have?

If we get them I think they will be an overall ripoff, meaning more beneficial to the manufacturers than console gamers and the cost of designing and making them will be taken out from the budget for the real next generation jump… so a customer foot gun?

We are not in the 90’s or 00’s anymore, manufacturing tech is slowing down (costs skyrocketing for more advanced nodes, diminishing returns in graphics meaning power increments vs noticeable impact in results).

I think they will be expensive, but they will coincide with a process shrink

Raven117

Gold Member
That tracks. And it’s fine. Developers haven’t even leaned into the ps5 full throttle yet. Between that and the supply issues, yeah, they need to recoup some money in that.

Plus, that gives developers about two “games” assuming 3-4 year development cycles on the ps5 series x

Last edited:

MikeM

I don’t get it either. You want less choice? Imagine having more than one restaurant option? Ooff…

Neo_game

If they do decide to make Pro consoles they need to make sure that the hardware they target has an $800 budget.

Like I correctly stated last gen, $500 is not a big enough budget to make a large next gen leap, especially considering inflation.

The dollar today has about half the buying power it did in 2020.

An $800 budget today would be the equivalent of $400 just a few years ago.

Maybe go for a $1,000 budget.

Hopefully next gen console will be but the Pro model it is unlikely. 500$ is not bad, they should be able to get 2.5x gpu performance in two years time.

Genx3

Because then they don’t put effort into optimizing for the base consoles.

I don't agree.

The base XB1 was very underpowered while the PS4 was slightly underpowered for their time. The CPU's were terrible in those consoles and the GPU's were nothing special. Games struggled from day 1. Contrast that to games running at120 FPS the beginning of this gen. Even then many games took advantage of the base HW to it's fullest.

You are tying games running poorly to the fact Pro consoles released instead of the fact the hardware was severely limited.

vivftp

The question goes both ways.
Is there evidence that the Pro Consoles was successful?
We know the PS4 Slim sold more by a wide margin, I can't comment on the Xbox One X.
but overall we know they didn't fly off the shelves like Nintendo's upgraded hardware revisions.

You were the one who claimed the mid gen refreshes weren't successful, so burden of proof is on you to support your claim.

As for the PS4 Slim outselling the Pro, of course it did. The Pro was never meant to sell more than the base model. It was a supplemental high end model to help entice folks to stay in the console ecosystem instead of jump ship to PC. That's the same purpose a PS5 Pro would serve

TGO

You were the one who claimed the mid gen refreshes weren't successful, so burden of proof is on you to support your claim.

As for the PS4 Slim outselling the Pro, of course it did. The Pro was never meant to sell more than the base model.
I don't believe Sony or MS has ever reported numbers for those machines outside the first launch and those numbers was low, which unusually means it didn't do well and it didn't get better.
And even when they disappeared from retail the monthly numbers barely changed.
It was a supplemental high end model to help entice folks to stay in the console ecosystem instead of jump ship to PC. That's the same purpose a PS5 Pro would serve
Seriously?
you think they gonna make a PS5 Pro to stop gamer's jumping ship to PC?
Here's a idea.
Stop porting their shit to PC if are worried about gamers jumping to PC.

Caio

Isn't new gen typical last 8 years? If so, how is this a news?
Nope. The "info" suggest PS6 and the Next XBox might be released 8 years after the release of PS5 and XBox series, if we are lucky, so this make at least 8 years in between the two releases, and could be even 9 years. We have 7 years between the releases of PS4/X1 and PS5/XBox series, so next time could be 1 or 2 years longer, ACCORDING TO THIS INFO.
So, say HI to the Mid Gen refresh, if this will turn to be true.

vivftp

I don't believe Sony or MS has ever reported numbers for those machines outside the first launch and those numbers was low, which unusually means it didn't do well and it didn't get better.
And even when they disappeared from retail the monthly numbers barely changed.

If you don't know what their expected target figures were for the mid-gen refresh consoles, and you don't know what they actually sold then you have no way to judge if they were successful or unsuccessful. Which again brings up the question of why you're claiming they were unsuccessful. What actual evidence are you using to support that claim?

Seriously?
you think they gonna make a PS5 Pro to stop gamer's jumping ship to PC?
Here's a idea.
Stop porting their shit to PC if are worried about gamers jumping to PC.

Let's hear it straight from Andrew House regarding the PS4 Pro:
https://wccftech.com/sony-boss-reveals-playstation-4-pro-aims-prevent-user-migration-pc/

"I saw some data that really influenced me.

It suggested that there’s a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that’s obviously where it’s to be had. We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]. So the net result of those thoughts was PlayStation 4 Pro – and, by and large, a graphical approach to game improvement."

So that's an actual statement from the head of SIE at the time explaining that the PS4 Pro was meant to keep people who wanted better performance in their ecosystem. As for your idea, it's a bit shortsighted. The PC market consists of people who will never purchase a console and Sony wants to tap into that market as well, especially with their upcoming live service games. There's also the people who mostly play third party games, Sony would want to give them a choice to have a console that can compete with the higher end PCs of 2024/2025 to get great performance out of their games and keep them in their ecosystem.

Going back to first party (although third party counts here too), Sony are already putting in extra work to make their games ported to PC perform better than what the base PS5 can deliver. Since that work is already being done, why not utilize it to also build a higher end console variant for console owners who want more? Right now they're doing it post-launch as those games are coming out later after the console version, but it's only a matter of time before we start getting day and date console/PC launches, and that'll probably start with TLOU MP. Point is, if the extra money and manpower is being put into PC versions, it makes all the sense in the world to make use of that effort to make PS5 Pro versions of their games too.

TGO

If you don't know what their expected target figures were for the mid-gen refresh consoles, and you don't know what they actually sold then you have no way to judge if they were successful or unsuccessful. Which again brings up the question of why you're claiming they were unsuccessful. What actual evidence are you using to support that claim?

Let's hear it straight from Andrew House regarding the PS4 Pro:
https://wccftech.com/sony-boss-reveals-playstation-4-pro-aims-prevent-user-migration-pc/

"I saw some data that really influenced me.

It suggested that there’s a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that’s obviously where it’s to be had. We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]. So the net result of those thoughts was PlayStation 4 Pro – and, by and large, a graphical approach to game improvement."

So that's an actual statement from the head of SIE at the time explaining that the PS4 Pro was meant to keep people who wanted better performance in their ecosystem. As for your idea, it's a bit shortsighted. The PC market consists of people who will never purchase a console and Sony wants to tap into that market as well, especially with their upcoming live service games. There's also the people who mostly play third party games, Sony would want to give them a choice to have a console that can compete with the higher end PCs of 2024/2025 to get great performance out of their games and keep them in their ecosystem.

Going back to first party (although third party counts here too), Sony are already putting in extra work to make their games ported to PC perform better than what the base PS5 can deliver. Since that work is already being done, why not utilize it to also build a higher end console variant for console owners who want more? Right now they're doing it post-launch as those games are coming out later after the console version, but it's only a matter of time before we start getting day and date console/PC launches, and that'll probably start with TLOU MP. Point is, if the extra money and manpower is being put into PC versions, it makes all the sense in the world to make use of that effort to make PS5 Pro versions of their games too.
Jim said that almost 6 years ago.
That was reasoning behind the Pro and there is nothing that indicates it improved the dip.
In fact we know it didn't, regardless of what their PR says we know it didn't do what they expected, it barley affected sales.
A few people gave a shit( I was one of them)
but it didn't boost sales.
And 6 years later they are porting to PC.
why would they care if a PS5 owner decides to jump to PC later?
They still selling games to them in the end.
So no, I'm the opposite of short sighted.

But let's say Sony & MS like wasting money.
When do you expect the Midgen Consoles come out to help boost games that currently don't exist yet.
And how do you market it.
Things you can't use to market it because the PS5 already does it are.
- HDR
- 60fps
- 120fps
- Ray-tracing
- Fast Loading/Zero Loading.

It's a hard sell when the current model hasn't delivered what it can do outside cross gen games

Last edited:

Kerotan

I’m expecting late 2024 (or at least hoping that’s when cause they can use rdna 4 for the machine at that point)
Hopefully late 2024 at the earliest. We'll still be getting getting cross Gen games next year for Christ's sake!

So I find a Pro pointless when we'll be getting true ps5 games which will see a big jump over what we get now.

But maybe the logic is instead of playing that game at 60fps 4k you'll play it at 120fps or 100fps with vrr thanks to the Pro.

Sounds good to me. These consoles have plenty of power. Just need someone to make something different instead of rehash game #374. More power doesn't mean more creativity.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Good, consoles have plenty of power that isn't being utlised at all. Better for consumers so they have a large library of games on their system discounted which don't cost £60-70quid. Better for devs and games to emphasise creative and new ideas over raw graphics.

As Last of Us 2 showed us on base PS4, high end graphics can be delivered on ageing hardware with enough budget, time and the right execution as well. This is now perhaps more important than the hardware itself if you want a stunning game.

Last edited:
Anyone who has expected a new console generation on or before 2027/2028 is a delusional idiot. Also, COVID happened which delayed and put the entire world on pause for a few years. This generation has not really even started. We're most likely looking at 2030 release at this rate.

Top Bottom