• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Explicitly Said A PS5 ‘Horizon Forbidden West’ Upgrade Would Be Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
If you have a ps4 then buy the ps4 version, if you have the ps5 or going to buy one soon then buy and wait for the ps5 version.

believe me you won't find big differences between the two versions

93xfan

Banned
Man Sony fanboys really are a different breed hey.

I’m 30 so I grew up with the PS One and PS2 so I appreciate how much they’ve done in gaming even if I’m a Xbox guy now through and through.

However surely you have to come to the realisation that they think you’re their bitch. They’re not even trying to pretend.

Loved them during that era. Wish they seemed at least similar to that company. Maybe we’d have better BC and Socom and great games like Jumping Flash make a comeback

If you have a ps4 then buy the ps4 version, if you have the ps5 or going to buy one soon then buy and wait for the ps5 version.

believe me you won't find big differences between the two versions
i have a ps4. so i should just go buy it for that and lose access to the game whenever i get a ps5 unless i buy it again? fuck off.

MrSec84

You think this game will make Sony hundreds of millions of dollars profit?
The game's budget was around $47M according to Guerrilla:

Shawn Layden confirmed himself that the game sold 2.6 million units in the first two weeks after launch:

We know Zero Dawn sold around 7.6 million units in it's first year, even if the average income to Sony per unit sold was $10 that would mean the revenue for the game was at least $760 million, but it's a fact that has been confirmed by Guerrilla Games that it sold more than 10 million units by Feb 2019:

Even if Sony invested $200 million in Marketing, the development budget was $50 million and the game generated only the $760 million in overall revenue we get to an overall profit of $510 million.
It's unrealistic that the average cost of each copy would only net Sony $10 per unit and we know it Sold over 10 million units.
It's also very doubtful that Sony invested as much as $200 million in marketing for the game, considering it was a new IP.

Considering the game sold over 10 million units overall revenue was well over a billion dollars, taking costs into consideration Horizon could have made Sony over $800 million.

Yeah I think Sony made hundreds of million of dollars off of Zero Dawn and I think Forbidden West looks like a better game and Sony will at least match the sales of Zero Dawn with Forbidden West.
Even if Sony quadrupled the budget for Forbidden West, as well as vastly expanding the marketing budget I think Forbidden West could easily match the sales figures of Zero Dawn and at minimum get close to the profits of Zero Dawn.

Warablo

It only makes sense to pay a $10 fee because PS5 games are $70 while PS4 games are $60.

I would complain if the upgrade fee is more than $10 though.
Well it seems the upgrade fee is more than $10, it's actually $20 ($80). It isn't a upgrade path either, you gotta purchase the right version before you buy Horizon or else you gotta buy it over again and fork out $70 for the PS5 version.

So I can see this biting a lot of casuals in the ass, but not people in the "know" lurking on forums. Its fucked either way.

Last edited:

yurinka

I think Sony can say that they didn't lie because Horizon 2 still has a PS4 to PS5 free upgrade (but in the expensive editions).

But I'd prefer to see them to rectify and include free upgrade in all SKUs.

Even if Sony invested $200 million in Marketing, the development budget was $50 million and the game generated only the $760 million in overall revenue we get to an overall profit of $510 million.
That figure they shared of around $50M wasn't the whole project, it was only the budget spent on Guerrilla. There are over 2000 people from many studios who working in a game like this one (game credits can be seen in mobygames.com, 2140 people were credited HZD) and take around 4 or 5 years of development. The people working in the lead studio typically are only around 10% of the people credited in the game credits. And they have a development budget of $100-200M and around the same in marketing budget.

Last edited:

Wunray

The thing is most of these ps4 versions run better on ps5 anyway, so you’re already getting graphics upgrade albeit not to the same extent.

re8 has a 60 mode on ps4 pro and a high res mode which runs bad… but is locked on ps5. Boom, there is your upgrade if you can’t wait to get the ps5. Like what is there to be mad about lol.
That depends if the PS4 pro version of Horizon FW will have a 60fps mode. Either way I don't even have a PS5 and by the time I'll have one the game will probably be 20 anyways.

Vae_Victis

Banned
This is pathetic. People literally can't read and comprehend a fucking sentence anymore unless you talk to then like you would to a toddler. These are supposed to be journalists ffs, I don't expect them to have intelligent opinions, but at the very least they should be able to FUCKING READ.

"The Lord of the Rings, King Kong and Transformers are available both on dvd and blu-ray. The Peter Jackson's movies are dual packs which contain both the dvd and blu-ray versions in a single box."

From this sentence, did I tell you that Transformers is a dual pack as well? No, I bloody didn't. There is no way to read all the words, one by one, and get to that conclusion. If you bought Transformers on dvd and complained that there is no blu-ray in it, then I'd have to inform you that you have the big dumb.

It's a fucking Venn diagram of two separate sentences, in each a few elements are quoted and assigned certain information, but since there are common elements between the two statements, some people's brain just fry and assigns every property to every element because basic reading comprehension is apparently a PhD skill in the age of Facebook and Twitter.

Sentence 1 is descriptive of elements A, B and C. Sentence 2 is descriptive of elements A and B alone. From those sentences, you cannot infer that element C has the properties described by sentence 2. Being a bit less logically rigid, I'd say you could argue that it probably DOESN'T have them, since it was specifically left out by the speaker.

Jesus flipping Christ on a flaming trampoline, so many people were failed hard by their education system.

Inb4 "you're a fanboy". I DON'T like what Sony is doing here, at all. But looking at a simple statement, with a clear meaning, and twisting it to make it say something that it flat out DOES NOT SAY, is so dishonest and well-poisoning that this discussion should trump any Sony policy about fucking Horizon 2 costing 10 or 20 or whatever more dollars for a dual pack.

Last edited:

LordCBH

The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.”

Emphasis on launch games. Horizon isn’t a launch game.

Kamina

Golden Boy
If they made the upgrade free they would raise the PS4 versions price to that of the PS5 version. There is simply no way they are letting consumers get a PS5 version for less than they decided it’s worth.

Last edited:
This source was already proven that it didn't intend to say that Horizon was guaranteed a free upgrade. Instead it said launch games would receive a free upgrade system which Horizon is not. Originally it was thought to be a launch title which has changed and so has this verbiage. Can everyone just stop beating a dead horse now?
It was never going to be a launch game, they always said 2021 and then it was delayed.

If they made the upgrade free they would raise the PS4 versions price to that of the PS5 version. There is simply bo way they are let consumers get a PS5 version for less than they decided it’s worth.
They can offer the option to upgrade for $10 on PSN, that or another kind of shittier way to do it would be to include the PS4 version with the PS5 version so people who may be trying to get a PS5 but aren't able to before the game launches can still play it on the PS4. It would suck to pay $70 if you don't have a PS5 but that is another way to go.

Kamina

Golden Boy
They can offer the option to upgrade for $10 on PSN, that or another kind of shittier way to do it would be to include the PS4 version with the PS5 version so people who may be trying to get a PS5 but aren't able to before the game launches can still play it on the PS4. It would suck to pay $70 if you don't have a PS5 but that is another way to go.
I think they are definitely going to offer a 10 bucks upgrade option. Anything else would be retarded.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Upgrade fee, the new online pass, member those?

I'll probably grab this used or via gameshare to be fair, and I'm not too arsed about this controversy since I almost never pay full price for games. It's just funny how publishers will ciclically try to extract an extra $10-20 from gamers for virtually nothing. These games are really not designed for the PS5, no amount of extra vibrations or higher fps/res take away the fact that the game will run on the shitty PS4 hardware and has been designed with that in mind "from the ground up".

Next up publishers will try and charge an extra $10 on PC to unlock ultra settings?

Last edited:
8cDWQJ1.gif

I’m blown away that the Sony die-hards are simply just taking it in the ass. Meanwhile, Xbox just gives you a free upgrade and will continue to do so.
i wish i could say i was surprised. fan boys gonna fan boy 🤷‍♂️

i've owned every Playstation since 1995 but Sony can go fuck themselves with this bullshit. arrogant Sony is back. i don't think they deserve my money this time.

If the PS4 version was $10 cheaper and included a free upgrade to PS5, why would anyone buy the PS5 version?

You have to start using your brains.
you're missing the point.

it shouldn't really matter if you buy it for PS4 or PS5. they are the same game and you shouldn't need to pay twice. what makes Sony think they deserve to be paid twice? that is fucking stupid and nothing but pure greed. if i buy Horizon Forbidden West on PS4 then I should be able to play that on PS5 too.

but hold on, bare with me, i'm just using my brain here. Should i get in touch with Microsoft and tell them I'm not happy because when I bought Halo MCC on Xbox One it means i can also download it on a Series X when i buy that? Shit, guess what? It also means I can play Halo MCC on my PC as well. That's unacceptable! While I'm at that too I should maybe contact Valve and tell them that I'll let them know when I upgrade my GPU that I want all my games disabled and that I will be more than happy to pay for them all again.

see how stupid that sounds? use your brain and stop defending sony.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yep read it and he does not specifically state Horizon will have a free upgrade path. It is a very general statement that doesn't mention anything. The news article mentions Horizon specifically not Jim.
Has PS5 had free upgrade path for any of their games so far for any recent releases? I'm seriously asking. I don't have a Ps5 so I wouldn't know.

N30RYU

Gold Member
They should just include both PS5 and PS4 in the $70 version instead of the deluxe one and make clear that the $60 PS4 version does not upgrade to the PS5 for free in the future unless you pay another $10.

Inviusx

i wish i could say i was surprised. fan boys gonna fan boy 🤷‍♂️

i've owned every Playstation since 1995 but Sony can go fuck themselves with this bullshit. arrogant Sony is back. i don't think they deserve my money this time.

you're missing the point.

it shouldn't really matter if you buy it for PS4 or PS5. they are the same game and you shouldn't need to pay twice. what makes Sony think they deserve to be paid twice? that is fucking stupid and nothing but pure greed. if i buy Horizon Forbidden West on PS4 then I should be able to play that on PS5 too.

but hold on, bare with me, i'm just using my brain here. Should i get in touch with Microsoft and tell them I'm not happy because when I bought Halo MCC on Xbox One it means i can also download it on a Series X when i buy that? Shit, guess what? It also means I can play Halo MCC on my PC as well. That's unacceptable! While I'm at that too I should maybe contact Valve and tell them that I'll let them know when I upgrade my GPU that I want all my games disabled and that I will be more than happy to pay for them all again.

see how stupid that sounds? use your brain and stop defending sony.

You can buy the PS4 Special Edition that let's you upgrade to PS5 when you eventually get one.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So what? Plans change.
I really don't understand this issue. Just wait until you find a PS5 a buy the damn game

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Read the Jim Ryan quote.

CzD1leF.png
The sleazy part? It is that he sctually did not lie. You have a path where you can buy a PS4 version and upgrade to the PS5 version for free. Do you not have that?

That is the “technically true loophole” ( 🤢 ) kind of statement… He said there would be a path, not that all paths would be free.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Regardless of what they promised or didn't promise, the action itself is indefensible.

You gotta buy digital, you gotta pay $80 to get both versions. This is a thinly veiled $20 upgrade path no matter which way you slice it.

I'll just hold off on this game til I get my PS5, or wait for a discount, whichever comes first.

Edit:

People who try to defend this...you also won't mind when they raise prices to $80...or $90 in the future. You enable this bullshit. Stop thinking like you got stake in Sony, be it fanaticism or whatever, and start thinking like a consumer.

Sony does this because they know they can get away with it. They do it because people who are loyal will continue to give them a pass no matter what they do. Enjoy I guess...but if you think they are stopping here...well...good luck brotherrrrr.

Last edited:
Regardless of what they promised or didn't promise, the action itself is indefensible.

You gotta buy digital, you gotta pay $80 to get both versions. This is a thinly veiled $20 upgrade path no matter which way you slice it.

I'll just hold off on this game til I get my PS5, or wait for a discount, whichever comes first.
and it is digital only.... fuck that

Mokus

This is new. Since when you can't play a PS4 game on PS5?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well... we live in a world where Sony can say that they really care about next gen but releases their games in a 8 years old console.
We also live in a world where people are getting headlines of news and do not bother reading more to form an opinion too though.

This is the full quote you reference in context (they did not say they would not have cross generation games, they did not attack their competitor, and they do have native PS5 only games):
"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features."
"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."
Original post:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
but that's not an upgrade path from PS4, right?
Why not? You buy it on PS4, play it, and then when you get your PS5 you can get the PS5 version for it, you are being updated to it technically speaking.

Again, sleazy but the technically true companies like :/…

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's all about protecting their vision of the new $70 price tag. Their actual written statement conveniently only said launch games, but neither of their launch games that were cross gen were really full next-gen $70 titles. You had Sackboy, and Miles. Jim Ryan of course forgot to mention that in his interview and comes across sounding sleazy lol

Can't be releasing a PS4 game at $70, and can't be giving away a PS5 copy for the $60 price tag.

In the end this is all over next year when cross gen is over.. and TBH it's all whatever to me.. although I have 2 PS5s and no reason to need dual entitlement lol

TrueLegend

If the PS4 version was $10 cheaper and included a free upgrade to PS5, why would anyone buy the PS5 version?

You have to start using your brains.
First of all its not a 10$ stuff. 10$ would make sense before PS5 cost which is 70$. But you have to pay 80$ thats the whole issue.And also you have to do so beforehand. You cant upgrade the standard edition even by paying 20$ later.

First of all its not a 10$ stuff. 10$ would make sense before PS5 cost which is 70$. But you have to pay 80$ thats the whole issue.And also you have to do so beforehand. You cant upgrade the standard edition even by paying 20$ later.
And it's digital only so you can't sell your disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom