• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Explicitly Said A PS5 ‘Horizon Forbidden West’ Upgrade Would Be Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
but that's not an upgrade path from PS4, right?
Why not? You buy it on PS4, play it, and then when you get your PS5 you can get the PS5 version for it, you are being updated to it technically speaking.

Again, sleazy but the technically true companies like :/…
I kinda see it like this. It's kind of a way to promote PS5 purchases. Take me for example. I got my PS4, I want a PS5...but say I was on the fence about the PS5. I know I want HFW and I now have a choice. $60 and risk having to spend another $70 IF and when I get a PS5, or spend $80 now and regardless of whether I get a PS5 or not, they still got an extra $20 out of me.

You damn right it's sleazy and it's not a genuine upgrade path. A real upgrade path would allow you to make the choice in real time. I buy the game for $60, I get my PS5...then I pay the upgrade fee.

They want the fucking fee up front. Fuck that noise.

What if I don't like the game? And therefore have no interest in upgrading to the PS5 version of a shitty game?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Launch titles are games that launch alongside the console…….

Quit this crap. No one on here will ever accuse me of being a Sony fanboy, I just don’t like misinformation being spread. HFW isn’t a launch title so it doesn’t fit the statement that all launch titles have a free upgrade path. End of story.

But you're the one spreading misinformation. The 'launch games' verbal gymnastics were from the Playstation blog. The Washington Post interview does not add anything about 'launch games' and directly references Horizon et al.

SLB1904

Banned
But you're the one spreading misinformation. The 'launch games' verbal gymnastics were from the Playstation blog. The Washington Post interview does not add anything about 'launch games' and directly references Horizon et al.
Alright isn't accusing each other of verbal gymnastics. Just show the exact quote where was said you would be able to upgrade horizon

Ozriel

M$FT
This is pathetic. People literally can't read and comprehend a fucking sentence anymore unless you talk to then like you would to a toddler. These are supposed to be journalists ffs, I don't expect them to have intelligent opinions, but at the very least they should be able to FUCKING READ.

"The Lord of the Rings, King Kong and Transformers are available both on dvd and blu-ray. The Peter Jackson's movies are dual packs which contain both the dvd and blu-ray versions in a single box."

From this sentence, did I tell you that Transformers is a dual pack as well? No, I bloody didn't. There is no way to read all the words, one by one, and get to that conclusion. If you bought Transformers on dvd and complained that there is no blu-ray in it, then I'd have to inform you that you have the big dumb.

It's a fucking Venn diagram of two separate sentences, in each a few elements are quoted and assigned certain information, but since there are common elements between the two statements, some people's brain just fry and assigns every property to every element because basic reading comprehension is apparently a PhD skill in the age of Facebook and Twitter.

Sentence 1 is descriptive of elements A, B and C. Sentence 2 is descriptive of elements A and B alone. From those sentences, you cannot infer that element C has the properties described by sentence 2. Being a bit less logically rigid, I'd say you could argue that it probably DOESN'T have them, since it was specifically left out by the speaker.

Jesus flipping Christ on a flaming trampoline, so many people were failed hard by their education system.

Inb4 "you're a fanboy". I DON'T like what Sony is doing here, at all. But looking at a simple statement, with a clear meaning, and twisting it to make it say something that it flat out DOES NOT SAY, is so dishonest and well-poisoning that this discussion should trump any Sony policy about fucking Horizon 2 costing 10 or 20 or whatever more dollars for a dual pack.

If you had bothered to read the OP before leaping to Sony's defence, you'd see it contained an interview in Washington Post with Jim Ryan where he confirmed free upgrade paths from PS4 to PS5 for the likes of Horizon Forbidden West.

Now you're wailing about people being failed by education when you didn't read the OP

SLB1904

Banned
If you had bothered to read the OP before leaping to Sony's defence, you'd see it contained an interview in Washington Post with Jim Ryan where he confirmed free upgrade paths from PS4 to PS5 for the likes of Horizon Forbidden West.

Now you're wailing about people being failed by education when you didn't read the OP
I'm sure it won't be hard for you to put the quote here right?

Ozriel

M$FT
Alright isn't accusing each other of verbal gymnastics. Just show the exact quote where was said you would be able to upgrade horizon

Sure. As soon as you show me the quote in the Washington Post article where it said Ryan was talking about launch games only.

Or list the launch cross gen first party Sony games that players were so disappointed with the existence of a last gen version.

Sheep Flock GIF

Kokoloko85

Pretty shitty of them to do it for sure.
Ill be buying it on PS5 and get some PSN credit through another website so I can save some money

yurinka

That's a bundle, not an upgrade.
No, a bundle is when you have a console and a game or multiple games. Or a collection of games. This case instead is a game with crosbuy, you buy a game and they give you that same game for different consoles.

The same that has been happening with most crossgen games, the same that happened with crossbuy games in the Vita age.

Last edited:

FranXico

No, a bundle is when you have a console and a game or multiple games. Or a collection of games. This case instead is a game with crosbuy, you buy a game and they give you that same game for different consoles.
That's what you're buying, HFW PS4 and HFW PS5 together at discount.

Even the old PS4+PSV cross-buy games are now tagged as "bundle" in the PSN store.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Am I to spoon-feed you, too? Head over to the OP and read the link for yourself.
Sure. As soon as you show me the quote in the Washington Post article where it said Ryan was talking about launch games only.

Or list the launch cross gen first party Sony games that players were so disappointed with the existence of a last gen version.

"Time to shut you down" aloy

“Additionally, we know that the PS4 community will transition to PS5 at different times, and we’re happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4.

Here Sony is confirming these games are cross gen.

While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch.

Here Sony is saying you will have the full experience with these games minor the obvious ps5 hardware features.

The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.”
Here Sony is saying the digital version of LAUNCH games include free upgrade.

Go get refund from your school

Skifi28

i have a ps4. so i should just go buy it for that and lose access to the game whenever i get a ps5 unless i buy it again? fuck off.
I'm all about complaining about prices, but it seems most of your anger comes from misinformation. You won't lose anything, the ps4 version works just fine on the ps5.

jigglet

Banned
What? I'm all for roasting liars as well as their shitty upgrade pathways, but he says it right there "launch". Are people turning this trivial shit into a console war?

Last edited:

FranXico

I feel like we're back in the pre-release Xbone era of console discussions.

"Guys, the Xbone online check is not DRM. I'm sick of all of this FUD. The Xbone doesn't have always online DRM! The online check in is not checking your content rights, it's only checking that the console has authenticated to Microsoft's servers. That is straight up not DRM! It's not checking digital rights! Can everyone just stop beating a dead horse now?"
I could swear I read the same exact excuses about the Series consoles DRM just a couple of months ago.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Quit this crap. No one on here will ever accuse me of being a Sony fanboy, I just don’t like misinformation being spread. HFW isn’t a launch title so it doesn’t fit the statement that all launch titles have a free upgrade path. End of story.
I don't recall accusing you of being a Sony fanboy. I said the apologizing in the comment section is amazing to me. But since you took the statement to heart and feel the shoe fits, I'll bite. Now this quote from the above Washington Post link might be lost in translation for me, so you might be able to explain it.

"While it wasn’t mentioned in Sony’s official announcement, developers of certain games later confirmed that PS5 exclusives like “Horizon: Forbidden West” and “Spider-Man: Miles Morales” aren’t exclusive at all. They’re both releasing PS4 versions, which may irritate a few Sony fans who took to heart Sony’s commitment to “next gen” development. The belief is that developing games across generations stifles creativity, and hampers the technological ambitions of the game, since it has to cater to an audience with less powerful machines.

“No one should be disappointed,” Ryan said. “The PS5 versions of those games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set, and we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions for free. It’s about people having choice. I’m really quite pleased about the situation.”

Now just from this quote it appears they're specifically talking about two games. In this specific quote he doesn't say anything about launch games, he says "those games" since I can only assume in this section of the quote they're talking about Horizon and Spider-Man. IF Jim Ryan is talking about these two specific games, then Sony is in the wrong. But I'm not here to play word gymnastics. These companies been finessing and will continue to do so.

silent head

The game's budget was around $47M according to Guerrilla:

Shawn Layden confirmed himself that the game sold 2.6 million units in the first two weeks after launch:

We know Zero Dawn sold around 7.6 million units in it's first year, even if the average income to Sony per unit sold was $10 that would mean the revenue for the game was at least $760 million, but it's a fact that has been confirmed by Guerrilla Games that it sold more than 10 million units by Feb 2019:

Even if Sony invested $200 million in Marketing, the development budget was $50 million and the game generated only the $760 million in overall revenue we get to an overall profit of $510 million.
It's unrealistic that the average cost of each copy would only net Sony $10 per unit and we know it Sold over 10 million units.
It's also very doubtful that Sony invested as much as $200 million in marketing for the game, considering it was a new IP.

Considering the game sold over 10 million units overall revenue was well over a billion dollars, taking costs into consideration Horizon could have made Sony over $800 million.

Yeah I think Sony made hundreds of million of dollars off of Zero Dawn and I think Forbidden West looks like a better game and Sony will at least match the sales of Zero Dawn with Forbidden West.
Even if Sony quadrupled the budget for Forbidden West, as well as vastly expanding the marketing budget I think Forbidden West could easily match the sales figures of Zero Dawn and at minimum get close to the profits of Zero Dawn.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This is what happens when you defend a company to the death.

Sony keeps getting away with shit because fanboys keeps defending their way of things.

Jimbo knows he can get away with anything as long as he throws an exclusive game here and there in the stew.

I would bet anything they change their tune. The game isn't out until Feb. I'm sure by that time it will be an upgrade fee, otherwise everyone would order the PS4 version and download the PS5 version.

It's out in 5 months they'll figure it out.
5luqxp.jpg

... because I was saying they had a lot to do with another?

In any case, you're running damage control in several threads, posting virtually the same thing over and over. I'll leave you to it.
Why make the comparison then? Also several threads if you mean the only 2 threads on here then sure and, damage control? I don't see how I'm doing that when people are taking context way out of line and then getting bent out of shape about it. It's called pointing something out.

So Timmy buys this for PS4 cause he can't find a PS5 or can't afford it yet. Buys Horizon for PS4. Gets a PS5 in the Spring and has to rebuy the same game at full price? That's fucked. It's the same game on the same store. Quit trying to justify this, warriors.
Or Timmy can just buy the $80 version that includes both and once he gets a PS5 he can enjoy it all over again

Neofire

Thanks Jim and company!

I swear the new management at Sony, it's like they are trying to sabotage the PlayStation or something 👀.

SoraNoKuni

Well they obviously realized that people buy the PS4 versions of game and get the free upgrades to come out cheaper and they backpedaled.

Still a shitty move and it actually confuses consumers (and milk them).

I love Sony but their handling of pricing is getting even more ridiculous than Nintendo's.

SLB1904

Banned
I never understand posts like these on this forum. Like how fucking old are you mate?
Can you not come up with a counter point insteaf of posting this tripe.
If you write "defense force" automatically wins any argument. No further point is needed

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I don't think the meaning is that you buy a cheaper PS4 version of any Sony game years into the cycle and then just upgrade. At launch this was possible, but when Horizon is out the PS5 is on the market for like 16 months. Horizon was meant to be a launch period game earlier on and slipped back, so this deal was off the cards as well.

Sony did lie about exclusivity, such as GT7 clearly being marketed as a PS5 only game. But the current situation with the consoles availability might've forced their hand.

whyman

I'm truly running out of good will with Sony. This generation they are just greedy nonchalant bastards. I got a PS5 at launch being fully supportive of Sony. No more.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I’m 30 so I grew up with the PS One
Being 4 year's old isn't really growing up with something.
I'll give you PS2 though
As for the article, it seems people are only reading Horizon: Forbidden West and Free upgrade and ignoring the context.

But I do think the upgrade some be free.
But I also think the games should be the same price too.
The console was the Next-Gen tax, you shouldn't have to pay it for every game.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
"Time to shut you down" aloy

Here Sony is confirming these games are cross gen.

Here Sony is saying you will have the full experience with these games minor the obvious ps5 hardware features.

Here Sony is saying the digital version of LAUNCH games include free upgrade.

Go get refund from your school

LMFAO!!!
I ask you to go to the OP and check out the Washington Post interview with Jim Ryan and you’re still posting excerpts from the PlayStation Blog post?

here, let me spoon-feed you.
While it wasn’t mentioned in Sony’s official announcement, developers of certain games later confirmed that PS5 exclusives like “Horizon: Forbidden West” and “Spider-Man: Miles Morales” aren’t exclusive at all. They’re both releasing PS4 versions, which may irritate a few Sony fans who took to heart Sony’s commitment to “next gen” development. The belief is that developing games across generations stifles creativity, and hampers the technological ambitions of the game, since it has to cater to an audience with less powerful machines.

“No one should be disappointed,” Ryan said. “The PS5 versions of those games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set, and we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions for free. It’s about people having choice. I’m really quite pleased about the situation.”

This is from the Washington Post interview linked in the OP. Says absolutely nothing about ‘launch’, and is in direct response to a question around fan disappointment about Horizon Forbidden West and Spiderman being cross-gen. Ryan even says ‘those games’, making it clear he’s talking about multiple games.

Can’t believe I had to quote this stuff for you to read. Won’t educate you for free next time.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

small lie compard with ms/phil

EfNpawaXgAEv7H6.png

Is this your coping strategy to accept lies from Sony? Because Spencer lies as well so it's OK Jimbo does?

Also, nice attempt to change subject.

Do non-fanboys people still trust sony after the whole we believe in generations crap?!
I feel like people use the “we believe in generations” quote disingenuously, taking it out of context to imply they don’t believe in generations because some new games are cross-gen. Nothing said in that interview is untrue based on what they’ve done with PS5 so far.

Nickolaidas

Banned
you're missing the point.

it shouldn't really matter if you buy it for PS4 or PS5. they are the same game and you shouldn't need to pay twice. what makes Sony think they deserve to be paid twice? that is fucking stupid and nothing but pure greed. if i buy Horizon Forbidden West on PS4 then I should be able to play that on PS5 too.
Two things:

First, you're not paying TWICE for the game. You're not paying 60 bucks, and then another 70. You pay 60 to play on the PS4 and 10 more if you also want to play on the PS5, taking advantage of the hardware.

Second, you can still play the PS4 version on your PS5, via backwards compatibility.

I get it, it's not an ideal scenario, and yes, Sony is greedy, but it's also a falsity to claim that you need to pay TWICE (full price each time) for the same game.

EDIT: Come to think of it, why didn't anyone bust a but when Sony released God of War III for the PS4 with better resolution and framerate for full price? Why didn't anyone demand that people who bought God of War III for the PS3 should get the upscaled version on the PS4 for free?

Last edited:

RGB'D

This 70 pricing really screwed everything up. Such greed. At leat with Ghost of Tsushima there was an upgrade path even if the whole thing was stupid. This is significantly worse. The gymnastics in defending this move is ludicrous. At the very least if you buy the PS5 version at MSRP it should include the PS4 version. And PS4 should offer a 10$ upgrade. Or I don't know, don't arbitrarily increase your pricing model out of greed and create this problem in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom