• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2021 Earnings Announcement

Loope

I say it again. I'm not interested in fortune-telling on coffee grounds.

You wrote a lot, and it probably makes sense to you.

It doesn't make sense to me at all when there's a shortage of consoles and some people are literally buying an xbox because there's no ps5 on the shelf.

Analyzes and forecasts should be done when the supply improves and stabilizes.

Many here are shouting about the strongest market for the xbox - the United States.
But let's see what they're going to say when Spider-Man 2 comes out, which will literally single-handedly take Ps5 sales to the top spot every month.

Yeah, right....

pt1a9jq2.png

pt27vjna.png

pt3pzj82.png

And you have a dude in this very thread claiming that it would easily be 3:1 without supply constraints. Meanwhile in reality, it's something like 1.3:1.
3:1 without supply constraints easy, now I said it too..
gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

God of War 2018 sold over 20m+ as well and should come out this year as well.

Sony hasn't really shown their hand except for Insomniac games but that alone already means 2022 and 2023 are going to be massive for the PS5.
Those games will be just like Miles Morales and Forbidden West...they won't be selling at their full potential when they come out.

Dolodolo

I think he's talking about Sony's business not Microsoft's. Everything doesn't have to be seen through the prism of fanboy wars.
He literally says that putting the game on a subscription will reduce its quality.

Microsoft has yet to prove that this is not true.

Because, with the exception of Forza, at the moment there is no game that would be at the level of Sony's investment, for example, in the conditional Horizon FW

Dolodolo

Yeah, right....
We literally have statistics that the Series S is not in short supply at all, and you can buy it right now, in almost any country.

Are you telling me that people would still choose this console if there was no shortage on the series X and Ps5?)

Those games will be just like Miles Morales and Forbidden West...they won't be selling at their full potential when they come out.
But they'll keep that high demand for PS5 going.

Sony hasn't truly shown their hand, they pretty much only announced future Insomniac games out of their about 20 internal studios. Yet Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine alone already guarantee 2022 and 2023 will be big years for PlayStation.

I'm impressed you found some near 2 year old messages, I know who to ask when I need to find something XD
PS4 didn't have a 2.3:1 lead early in the gen, the Xbox One started pretty strong contrary to what people believe it just lost steam over the years and the sales pretty much collapsed. An entire generation is 8+ years, we are on year 1.5 during a worldwide chip shortage, were MS has the advantage they have a console that is much easier to produce and that retails for $300. We also don't even have official numbers of shipped Xbox Series consoles (or Xbox One's for that matter).

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
But they'll keep that high demand for PS5 going.

Sony hasn't truly shown their hand, they pretty much only announced future Insomniac games out of their about 20 internal studios. Yet Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine alone already guarantee 2022 and 2023 will be big years for PlayStation.

PS4 didn't have a 2.3:1 lead early in the gen, the Xbox One started pretty strong contrary to what people believe it just lost steam over the years and the sales pretty much collapsed.
I'm not really interested, I was just impressed at some users dedication to find some old messages on this site.

Even if the new PS Plus basic stays flat, PSNow will become available in more countries means its revenue will increase under the PS+ banner.
So will cost, for the new PS+ model to make sense financially for Sony it also needs to result in more users joining the service.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Sounds like there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
Things are already getting better and the new TSMC Factory deal will also improve on this later on!

The Sony TSMC fab thing isn’t for PS5 SoCs. It’s not even the right node.

Sounds more like he’s saying that they have a new contract with TSMC for 2024.

Probably for an N5 die shrink for the PS5 slim.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We don't know what the ratio would be if they weren't supply constrained. Doubt it would be 3:1. Maybe 2:1 at best.
We just need to look back at the Xbox One / PS4 generation and see what was the difference between the two consoles after ~18 months. From there we can make a more educated guess of how the rest of the generation is gonna go. I still expect PS5 to outsell Xbox 2:1 (not by 3:1 though, as even PS4 didn't do that).

Does anybody have that information? ^

Elios83

Low PS5 shipments last quarter (2m) as forecasted.
Positives are that they expect a significant improvement this fiscal year (at least 18m) and also long term with TSMC deal.
They're also factoring big investements for acquisitions so less profits with higher revenues 👀

Last edited:

twilo99

We literally have statistics that the Series S is not in short supply at all, and you can buy it right now, in almost any country.

Are you telling me that people would still choose this console if there was no shortage on the series X and Ps5?)

Are you saying that someone is physically forcing these people to buy something they don’t want?

Low PS5 shipments last quarter (2m) as forecasted.
Positives are that they expect a significant improvement this fiscal year (at least 18m) and also long term with TSMC deal.
They're also factoring big investements for acquisitions so less profits with higher revenues 👀
For such a highly obsessed forum in regards of acquisitions it's interesting how this hasn't been mentioned much so far.

Topher

Gold Member
PS5 at 19.3 million, estimates put the Series X at almost 15 million.

The armchair analysts predicted a 3:1 ratio before the start of this gen. Please, somebody make this make sense.

And don’t even bother pretending the PS5 is the only console that has known supply constraints.

I don't know of any "armchair analysts" who predicted the supply issue stretching this far into the generation. No, PS5 isn't the only console being limited, but we don't know what the ratio would be if supply were not constrained. As long as demand continues to outpace supply then the numbers are going to reflect how many units are actually produced. Regardless, both Xbox and PS are doing very well this generation and this is a good thing.

Lognor

Banned
No one has said PS5 will outsell the Xbox Series consoles by 3:1 (not when PS4 couldn't), please show receipts, otherwise you would come across as a desperate fanboy for making shit up in order to bring unnecessary console war talk into an unrelated discussion.
Here is one of the 3x guys:
I seem to recall alot of Xbox series S on the shelves while there arent any PS5s on any shelf.

There is a huge difference in demand and we all know that the only thing stopping the PS train from 3x xbox is the supply. Lets not kid ourselves into thinking they are remotely the same demand wise.

Lognor

Banned
I don't know of any "armchair analysts" who predicted the supply issue stretching this far into the generation. No, PS5 isn't the only console being limited, but we don't know what the ratio would be if supply were not constrained. As long as demand continues to outpace supply then the numbers are going to reflect how many units are actually produced. Regardless, both Xbox and PS are doing very well this generation and this is a good thing.
Yep. Do we know the split between series s and x sales? I wonder how far off Xbox would be if they hadn't released the series s. I know a lot of people hate the idea of the series s but it was a brilliant move by Microsoft.

Topher

Gold Member
Yep. Do we know the split between series s and x sales? I wonder how far off Xbox would be if they hadn't released the series s. I know a lot of people hate the idea of the series s but it was a brilliant move by Microsoft.

We don't know Xbox numbers at all, unfortunately. Series S has been a great stopgap for Microsoft. Remains to be seen how successful it will be if/when XSX supply surpasses demand. At that point, we may find out if XSS was the console that people really wanted or merely the console they could actually get.

Jaybe

They had a very strong close to the PS4 gen so not too surprised growth is flat/tempered in comparison

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We just need to look back at the Xbox One / PS4 generation and see what was the difference between the two consoles after ~18 months. From there we can make a more educated guess of how the rest of the generation is gonna go. I still expect PS5 to outsell Xbox 2:1 (not by 3:1 though, as even PS4 didn't do that).

Does anybody have that information? ^
So I collected some information. This past record should give us some insights into how PS5 and Xbox Series consoles are stacking up against each other and may give us some idea on what the sales ratio could be by the end of this generation.

Xbox One sold 10 million units by Nov. 2014. PS4 had sold ~14 million units in the same time frame. Ratio of 1.4, pretty much the same as it is right now. Source.

yZA42cw.jpg

The sentiment at that time was that "Sony's winning streak might be coming to an end soon."

The PS4 has outsold the Xbox One for nine consecutive months with a total of 13.5 million units, but Microsoft hints that Sony's winning streak might be coming to an end soon. "As we head into the busy holiday season Xbox One led generation 8 console sales in the US for the past two weeks," says Microsoft’s devices and studios chief Yusuf Mehdi.

In April 2015, Xbox One outpaced PS4 (deja vu!), and Xbox One sales were reportedly up by 63% from last year.

The sentiment at that time was that, because of the price cut and other reasons, PS4 will have a hard time competing with and outselling Xbox.

iyj5KWL.jpg

Then from late 2015 onwards, Xbox One sales started declining.

I believe that the current-gen is following the same trends as the last-gen did. Early adopters purchased PS and Xbox when both systems launched amid supply shortage. PS4 outsold Xbox by around 1.3 - 1.4. However, deeper into the generation, especially after late 2015 when supplies started becoming more and more common, PS4 continued gaining lead over Xbox One consoles.

I think it's safe to assume, unless somethings dramatically change the future course, that we'll be seeing a very similar generation unfolding over the next few years.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Damn, that hardware spike is a lot closer than I imagined it would be.

Massive spike up in Q4 2021 for Xbox, must have been a good Christmas period.

GG on both for selling as well as they are considering the state of the industry and chip shortage.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't recall supply constraints being so much an issue in any prior generation. I know Wii's were hard to come by for a long time.

Wii's were straight up selling like hot cakes due to popularity from a non-gaming crowd.

The intense chip shortage phenomenon is this generation only and it doesn't look like it'll get resolved 100% by 2024 at the earliest.

yurinka

PSPlus numbers look pretty flat, being at the same level as over a year ago. What's the go there?
Sony made this year 409,355 million yen in 'networking services' of their gaming division, vs 382,950 last year. If Plus stays flat, means they increased PS Now.

During Q1, Q2 and Q3 PS Plus was slightly higher YoY, but in Q4 was slightly down YoY. Sooo seems many people during Q4 instead of renewing Plus went to buy PS Now due to Spartacus to stack years of PS+ Premium.

Apparently Sony's CFO said Sony plans on investing $30 billion ($4 trillion yen) into strategic investments

Also, this is their progress so far on their 4th mid-range plan

FSYShtXWUAcDaWk
Acquisitions budget increased to $30B?

The gaming division expects a 33% revenue growth YoY and a %10 down in operative income.

They expect a 56% increase in HW sales which may be sold at a lost, let's say include these PS5 and maybe some PSVR2.
Then they will get a bump in services with Spartacus. But seems there's a huge cost missing here:

How about the acquisition of one or multiple companies with many thousands of workers, like big publishers? $30B means now they can afford bigger stuff like Bandai Namco or Square Enix.

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

I'd be very surprised if we got a repeat of last generation. Things have massively changed after all.
The only big change we saw so far this gen it's the lack of chips, blocking Sony to break even more gaming history records for a console maker due to being severely supply constrained.

Sony keeps having more revenue, more MAU, more game subs, more 1st party sales, more total software sales etc. Sony has been performing better than ever and experiencing growth in all areas.

Sony will repeat this generation as market leader, specially once they get rid of the chips shortage. Nothing leads to think this will change (only the possibility of the chips issue getting worse instead of improving during the next couple of years).

It was obvious to anybody with a brain cells that gap between Xbox and PlayStation would shrink this gen.

PS4 outsold Xbox One 2,3:1 while Xbox had nonexisting first-party, higher-priced system and stain of DRM revel.
And anybody can see, that situation is different.

I still expect PS5 to be on top of Xbox, but it will probably be 105 million vs 85-90 million. Which is great for Microsoft since they are have Xbox as a part of their business strategy, not the only part.
XBO sold probably somewere between 50-60M while PS4 is a 117M and continues being sold (when allowed by the chips shortage).

Unlike the previous generation, all Xbox Series exclusive have been day one on PC and in GP. So gamers with an Xbox and a gaming PC this generation don't need to buy a console or the games.

PS5 has been improving and growing in every area (the most important one being revenue and profit, because allows to reinvest it to grow more) breaking many gaming history records set by PS4 even if severely supply constrained and many things point out that the demand for PS5 is huge worldwide.

I think that at the end of this generation the distance between Sony and Xbox won't have decreased until being almost tied, but instead will grow to almost 3:1 in hardware. Nothing leads to think it's going to be the case. When shipments allowed it, PS5 was in line to be the best selling home console ever. Only a more severe lack of cihps stopped this, new shipped units continue being sold out in minutes.

Regarding game subs I expect Sony to continue 2:1 in subbers compared to MS but with a profitable approach due to no full AAA games included there day one.

Looks like close gen between Sony and Microsoft.
There is no data suggesting this.

Did MS share their worldwide hardware sales? 1st party sales? Total game sales for their consoles? Profits/operative income of their gaming division?

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
I mean if they sold 19.3M PS5 for now and expect to sell 18M for the next year alone that's huge for them. They sold like 11M the previous year. It's s 7M increase in units.

That would put the PS5 at 36M in a year.

That's better than I thought!
18m would be amazing, and gives the opportunity to sell really big numbers on the software side, particularly given GoW, Factions and Final Fantasy 16 are all likely coming this FY, not to mention the number of gamers wanting next-gen before diving into HFW, GT7, Miles Morales etc.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'd be very surprised if we got a repeat of last generation. Things have massively changed after all.
I'm not sure and this isn't me just playing other side here. Most of the big games that MS has acquired through acquisition will still come to PlayStation. PS simply has the bigger brand loyalty. It's really a wait-and-see about what MS does to entice Call of Duty type gamers over. Exclusive maps? Timed exclusive? Side games?

JackSparr0w

Banned
Don't be this guy. Knock off all this baiting and platform warring.
19m total PS5s while Steam alone has 27m online at the same time every evening :pie_roffles:

Console gaming peaked with PS2 and even Sony is now begging for some sales from PC gamers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom