• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gaming Unit Adds Uber Antitrust Lawyer Amid Expansion Plans

Sony Gaming Unit Adds Uber Antitrust Lawyer Amid Expansion Plans

A Sony spokesperson confirmed McCurdy’s hire, which he announced in a recent message posted to his LinkedIn profile.

A Sony spokesperson confirmed McCurdy’s hire, which he announced in a recent message posted to his LinkedIn profile.

“The world of video games is fascinating and will be a great new adventure for me,” McCurdy said via LinkedIn. He spent more than 15 years as a senior litigation and policy lawyer for Microsoft Corp. prior to joining Uber in 2015. “I know it a bit from my Microsoft days when Xbox launched to compete with PlayStation,” McCurdy said.

His senior director role at Sony is a new one, per an online posting for the job. The posting said the person filling the role would would become a “senior level member” of the PlayStation video game console maker’s global legal leadership and “primary competition and regulatory counsel” for the company’s business worldwide.

Sony prepping for more M&A?

Sony is buying Tesla. Don't quote me on it
69796_03_sony-electric-car-yes-called-vision_full.png

Probably wish they could...lol

Last edited:

yurinka

I think it means they'll continue acquiring companies, something we already knew.

Maybe means they'll acquire a handful bigger ones next, like big publishers (Square Enix, Capcom, Bandai Namco could be examples) but doesn't imply it. They are market leaders in some game areas so any aquisition like Bungie or even smaller may require paperwork with regulators, but I think they'll never will be a big as Tencent in overal gaming I think so I think they are pretty safe from getting some acquisition blocked.

MS also said they'll continue making acquisitions after ABK so if MS passes Sony in gaming revenue Sony could say they are 3rd in gaming and get free pass for more acquisitions. But well, I think in any case I assume Jimbo wants to make sure they have good lawyers for any scenario.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I suppose it's good to have an Anti-trust lawyer.
Easier to find the loopholes 😏

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They may as well buy SE. They like them enough already to pay for more exclusives than anyone else, and they have a LOT of catalog product that could end up on PS+ Classics.

They may as well buy SE. They like them enough already to pay for more exclusives than anyone else, and they have a LOT of catalog product that could end up on PS+ Classics.
Yes, i personally think they are going to get a big japanese company. Capcom, Sqaure, or Konami.

Ah so the Take Two rumors were true!

Far-fetched, imo. I'd prefer they go after dev teams that are talented, and which explore genres they are lacking in. But who am I to judge, really? MS gobbling up two publishers, with no intention of slowing down, might have upset their plans.
Take Two does not strike me as a defensive move, the way Square-Enix does.

Last edited:

AllBizness

Banned
Far-fetched, imo. I'd prefer they go after dev teams that are talented, and which explore genres they are lacking in. But who am I to judge, really? MS gobbling up two publishers, with no intention of slowing down, might have upset their plans.
Take Two does not strike me as a defensive move, the way Square-Enix does.
GTA and NBA 2k IP's are worth it and Sony has enough to buy Take Two but it will take all of their free cash for a purchase and will limit their flexibility short term if they did that. We'll see. No need to buy a Japanese publisher because no none Japanese competitors can buy those.

Last edited:

TheTony316

Why would Sony buy a company that takes forever to release something new and keeps re-releasing their same game?

Hell when the ps6 launches, expect gtav to release.

Because GTA online alone would easily cover all of their future first party expenses, lol. Personally i want Square Enix but i can totally see why they would be interested in Take 2.

reksveks

Potentially, how much is included in Take2, company/IP wise? They own 2K as a sub-company dont they?
Was going to post the cost and still will. 25bn at the absolute minimum, their market cap is 21bn usd and typically the acquisition bump has been close to 30-40%. I think any purchase will be closer to 30bn usd.

In terms of the IP, I think there is very little of the big ones that they don't own.
- Bioshock
- Borderlands
- GTA
- RDR
- Civilization
- X-Com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take-Two_Interactive

The best third party developer out there is Capcom.Capcom has the most diverse games and all their games are excellent.Everything they do is amazing graphics are at the top so is animations and gameplay and content.And Capcom has so many great games which Sony could do more with Ghouls and Ghosts Breath of Fire Megaman Dino Crises.A mega man with Ratchet and Clack graphics in 3D could be so amazing with so many possibilities with the canon arm

Zatzuken

Capcom and Square Enix would be great picks, and they could have both for much cheaper then something like Take Two

I for one personally think they should buy Konami, So we can get Metal Gear, Silent Hill, and Castlevania as AAA Playstation Studios IPs.

Trogdor1123

From a news perspective, this is neat, but the degree of consolidation in the industry is so high right now. I don’t like it

Has to be a publisher if they are going the anti-trust route. The best bet would be one that would have current in vogue properties but also has a big back catalogue for PS+

Last edited:

radewagon

The only good buy, from a consumer perspective (y'know, us, the gamers posting), would be Konami. Companies like Square and Capcom have great catalogues but they are being handled well enough. Especially Capcom. Holy cow are they on a roll. Konami, on the other hand, has really given up, so them being acquired would really help us gamers see some dormant franchises brought back. It still boggles the mind that there is a fantastic Castlevania anime and Konami didn't take its success as a way to bring back the series.

Jormatar

I don't think buying Konami makes that much sense. Yes, they have famous IPs but no devs to work on those games. Sony could just buy the IPs If they really wanted.

Sony probably wants a publisher that would increase their yearly output in first party games. I honestly feel like Ubisoft, Square-Enix or Capcom would make the most sense.

Top Bottom