• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has introduced a "day 1 release" PS Plus logo for games, taking a cue from Microsoft as more games start releasing day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you’re subscribed to PS Plus Essential or PS Plus Extra, it’s been a pretty good year. While we have our criticisms of the flagship PS Plus Premium, the lower two rungs of Sony’s subscription service have been rock-solid. Perhaps the biggest criticism, then, has been the lack of day one releases – especially when you consider the offerings from other console manufacturers.

The Japanese giant has debuted the odd title at launch, it always has – but members want more of that. Well, the upcoming Divine Knockout is one new game that will be available day one with PS Plus Essential when the subscription’s software lineup rotates on 6th December. And, perhaps indicating that there’s more of exactly that to come, the firm has added a promo logo on its announcement banner to acknowledge the fact.

Here is the logo
nwNecLu.png

Funny enough, it looks like Jim Ryan was able to find away to afford Day 1 games after all. Given he made a new logo specifically for day one games on Ps Plus there's more coming.

I expect him to work on getting this set-up for PC and mobile as well. We still haven't seen what their brought mobile studio will do yet, and I expect that to probably be a game that's going to release on PC/PS5/Mobile at once Day 1, but that's just a guess.

feynoob

Banned
Wtf
This is huge news.

Sony was against day1, and now they are doing 180*?

Oh My God Wow GIF by The Roku Channel

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
[/URL]

Here is the logo
nwNecLu.png

Funny enough, it looks like Jim Ryan was able to find away to afford Day 1 games after all. Given he made a new logo specifically for day one games on Ps Plus there's more coming.

I expect him to work on getting this set-up for PC and mobile as well. We still haven't seen what their brought mobile studio will do yet, and I expect that to probably be a game that's going to release on PC/PS5/Mobile at once Day 1, but that's just a guess.
Is it necessary to lead with console war level garbage? Present the facts and if you can't do that maybe don't start a thread?

SLB1904

Banned
The only way that would make subscribe to their service. Other than that I'm happy with essential 😌

Is it necessary to lead with console war level garbage? Present the facts and if you can't do that maybe don't start a thread?

Lead?

For one the Lead is the link and the news plus the image of the logo, after that is just commentary.

Second, it's a simple joke, Sony went hard on saying they wouldn't do Day 1 games, and even took jabs at it. It's fair game when they do 180's like this. No different than when people point out the 180's Microsoft does.

Not everything is wars.

Despite spreading games out not being popular on this forum, I Personally think that it's a good thing because it means that at some point Jim will apply this to games on PC and mobile as well in the future, making PS Plus an even better service, which I partially touched on below the text you selectively quoted.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Gold Member
He could always afford day one games, and they’ve always done it, from rocket league, shadow warrior 3 to stray, and a bunch more. Now they just have a logo 🤷‍♂️.

What they can’t afford to do is slap all their $300,000,000 single player games on ps+ “day one”.
Eh, I feel like they can. For me I look at it like this, if they can generate several billion from a subscription service like Microsoft does especially with their goodwill and long standing imagine the type of games they would/could greenlight by not having to worry about profitability. Subscription services don't devalue anything, it didn't devalue The Sopranos and I can't imagine if Ragnarok launched on Plus Premium it wouldn't either.

SLB1904

Banned
Does he know Stray, falk guys and that doon clone with swords released day one?

Why these people like to make big deal out of anything?

Second, it's a simple joke, Sony went hard on saying they wouldn't do Day 1 games, and even took jabs at it. It's fair game when they do 180's like this. No different than when people point out the 180's Microsoft does.

Not everything is wars.

Nvm is just an insecure fanboy

Last edited:
Stray was day 1

This won't be for games like GoW, Spider-man, etc
You can go all the way back to Rocket League in 2015. I'm old enough to remember the arguments from journalists at the time that Sony shouldn't offer these games day 1 because it ultimately would hurt sales and I'm sure there's games before 2015 that they offered day 1.

Why are we pretending they haven’t always launched day one games on this service? Fall Guys, Stray, Bug Snax, Oddworld Soulstorm, etc etc

When they said they wont be launching games day 1 they obviously meant the big blockbuster single player games like god of war or spider-man but of course peopel are always gonna twist words around and treat this as some gotcha

Last edited:
Nvm is just an insecure fanboy

I'm accused of being a MS or Sony fanboy every other day.

When they said they wont be launching games day 1 they obviously meant the big blockbuster single player games.

This is the same Jim that said things can change very quickly. If you think he authorized a new logo just for an occasional indie that's silly. Eventually he's going to use more serious games otherwise the logo would be unnecessary because the logo is clearly drawing attention to it's self and the fact any game associated with it is day 1. Why would they do that if they don't want to eventually use bigger games for it where that new logo would actually attract gamers attention as a positive? For indies only there would be no reason for the logo as it wouldn't change the mindset of any gamer before the logos existence.

It's not impossible, i just find it unlikely that only third-party indie games would have this logo, because then it brings the point of the logo into immediate question.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Cool. I don't expect them to change their stance on big releases, but more smaller day1 games like Stray would be welcome.

I'm accused of being a MS or Sony fanboy every other day.

This is the same Jim that said things can change very quickly. If you think he authorized a new logo just for an occasional indie that's silly. Eventually he's going to use more serious games otherwise the logo would be unnecessary because the logo is clearly drawing attention to it's self and the fact any game associated with it is day 1. Why would they do that if they don't want to eventually use bigger games for it where that new logo would actually attract gamers attention as a positive? For indies only there would be no reason for the logo as it wouldn't change the mindset of any gamer before the logos existence.

It's not impossible, i just find it unlikely that only third-party indie games would have this logo, because then it brings the point of the logo into immediate question.

I don’t really understand your point, do you think Spider-Man 2 will launch on PS Plus?

We’ve had a few Day 1 games before. This a marketing strategy for the dummies that want Day one releases. It automatically makes certain ppl buy PS plus its just how it works on gullible stubborn ppl

Come on dude. Just own it lol

There's nothing to own, you have just as much lack of evidence as all the other accusers on both sides.

I don’t really understand your point, do you think Spider-Man 2 will launch on PS Plus?

I said "eventually" you're trying to act as if i set a date. I don't know when that is, but it's clear based on your fast response you're ignoring the issue of the logo being made, as there's no reason to have it just for indies. I'm sure it will be select titles first, probably not Spider-man but other FP games on the lower tier, and then gradually they'll throw in hitters once in awhile.

Otherwise the logo is pointless.

Last edited:
Sony has had day one games on PS+ long before GamePass existed.

What they said is they won't be releasing most of their big, first-party AAA games like God of War, Spider-Man, Uncharted, etc into PS+ day one. There's been no 180. What are you even talking about?

Edit: reading your responses, do you honestly think that is changing because of this icon?

Last edited:
Sony has had day one games on PS+ long before GsmePass existed.

What they said is they won't be releasing most of their big, first-party AAA games like God of War, Spider-Man, Uncharted, etc into PS+ day one.

So no comment on the logos purpose?

Edit: reading your responses, do you honestly think that is changing because of this icon?

Edit: I never specified any games in the OP, but they keep being brought up. I never said in the OP those games are coming to PS Plus.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Lead?

For one the Lead is the link and the news plus the image of the logo, after that is just commentary.

Not everything is wars.

Despite spreading games out not being popular on this forum, I Personally think that it's a good thing because it means that at some point Jim will apply this to games on PC and mobile as well in the future, making PS Plus an even better service, which I partially touched on below the text you selectively quoted.
"PS Plus Logo Hints At More Upcoming Day 1 Games" is the name of the article, not your editorialized "Sony has introduced a "day 1 release" PS Plus logo for games, taking a cue from Microsoft as more games start releasing day 1" thread title. Maybe start with that.

Let the thread develop a personality on its own. PS embracing Day 1 is a good thing, right? There's a lot of interesting paths the discussion can take. Sure there will be trolling and fun to be had but why lead with the heavy editorial spin?

Nothing personal, but you do make enough threads that this kind of thing matters.

is the name of the article, not your editorialized.

So you went from attacking me on the my first sentence in the OP, to switching to the thread title when I called it out?

To be fair, the title isn't mine it came from another source but it had less info, so I switched the article source and forgot to change the thread title, so yes my bad. Even though that's not originally what you went after me for.

So no comment on the logos purpose?
What do you mean? The purpose is to have a way to indicate when a games goes into the service on day one, people know it's a day one. How is this a question?

They have a game launching directly into PS+ Premium in December, for example.

Last edited:

Fbh

Wouldn't read too much into this. Ps+ has had launch games before: Rocket League, Bugsnax, Fall Guys, Stray, etc
This just seems like an easy way to let people know it's a game actually coming day 1 to Ps+, wouldn't necessarily read it as Sony getting ready to launch tons of games day 1 on the service.

Now they just need the "not important compared to Call of Duty" logo and put that on every game. Should help the CMA decide.
yzOAhNW.jpg

sainraja

I don't think Sony is planning on doing that with their big first party releases. I think some games that they launch Day 1 with the service is what will be marketed with that (e.g. Rocket League, Fall Guys etc).

gothmog

Gold Member
So you went from attacking me on the my first sentence in the OP, to switching to the thread title when I called it out?

To be fair, the title isn't mine it came from another source but it had less info, so I switched the article source and forgot to change the thread title, so yes my bad. Even though that's not originally what you went after me for.
You posted it. Own it.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Your threads will continue to be locked the more you lead with the same bait you've done on alts in the past.

Keep that up- then other actions will be taken. Learn from your past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom