• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has reportedly blocked PlayStation Plus and PS Now subscription stacking (Update: stacking will resume when service launches, codes still valid)

Gamerguy84

To me getting plus and a better version of now should easily pay for itself pretty quick.

They are adding PS5 games which does it for me. I know there is shut tier quality PS5 games and I know we will get some of those. I have faith in them though they will deliver some I was on the fence with. Like Returnal for example. This was how I used now I played a lot of ps4 games I wasn't quite sure of. And my kids tried everything.

So to simplify PLUS + NOW+ PS5 games is worth $100. Of course everyone's version of value will differ. I have plenty of time though having already stacked.

Last edited:
To me getting plus and a better version of now should easily pay for itself pretty quick.

They are adding PS5 games which does it for me. I know there is shut tier quality PS5 games and I know we will get some of those. I have faith in them though they will deliver some I was on the fence with. Like Returnal for example. This was how I used now I played a lot of ps4 games I wasn't quite sure of. And my kids tried everything.

So to simplify PLUS + NOW+ PS5 games is worth $100. Of course everyone's version of value will differ. I have plenty of time though having already stacked.
That's what Sony is thinking too, they believe they are providing enough value with these changes to keep growing their service and to convince some of the close to 50m PS+ subscribers to pay a little more for the additional stuff.

I subscribe to PS+ and I think it sucks but now instead of canceling it I'm tempted to upgrade it. The different in price isn't very significant and if I already need it for online and to keep my PS+ catalog going I might as well get the higher tier with the best value.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
If you try to "subscribe" on PS5 today it throws an actual ERROR and says "something went wrong"... "something"! What a bunch of absolute professionals these guys are! Did this all get thrown together at the last minute ?! What a joke!

"Something went wrong."... smh

ANIMAL1975

Already stacked too, i was only subscribing to plus pretty much since the beginning because of the discounts and the monthly games, so nothing to do with the multiplayer pay wall. But some time ago we, me and my son, decided to finally try out the 14 days experimental period and there was no going back lol. I just wish that the streaming of the ps3 games had better image quality and the ps2/ps1 games some sort of enhanced mode like ps4 games on PS5.

dcmk7

Banned

Don't know if this has already been posted. I have a hard time saying this was the best move for consumers but it's good that there's plenty of competition in the gaming space if someone doesn't like this.

You've defended Xbox live gold price hikes, proprietary storage devices and that's just very recently, you're concerned about consumers now though? What's different now 🤷‍♂️

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You've defended Xbox live gold price hikes, proprietary storage devices and that's just very recently, you're concerned about consumers now though? What's different now 🤷‍♂️
Downplaying game trials for consumers and arguing against them too. Let him have his little turfing for the 1.5 month pause.
but it's good that there's plenty of competition in the gaming space if someone doesn't like this.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Don't know if this has already been posted. I have a hard time saying this was the best move for consumers but it's good that there's plenty of competition in the gaming space if someone doesn't like this.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yeah, I'll definitely give it a go if the initial offering the show is worth it. I'm not going to pay for Premium regardless since I have a perfectly good PS3. Like I said, PS+ free games are not worth it for me anymore so it is either Extra or nothing.
Same. I upgraded my PS3 slim hard drive and all of my games I want to play are on there or on discs I own. I don't need PS3 backwards compatibility right now.

FrankWza

If you try to "subscribe" on PS5 today it throws an actual ERROR and says "something went wrong"... "something"! What a bunch of absolute professionals these guys are! Did this all get thrown together at the last minute ?! What a joke!

"Something went wrong."... smh
This is currently happening for people trying to subscribe or stack?

FrankWza

Just sub! Click any ps3 game stream as a non subscriber and there's a "subscribe" button. Throws an error when you press it.
You’re talking PSNow? That’s been closed out. The only issue would be trying to sub to plus and it not working. That’s an issue if it’s happening.

AGRacing

Gold Member
You’re talking PSNow? That’s been closed out. The only issue would be trying to sub to plus and it not working. That’s an issue if it’s happening.
This IS an issue. They left a button there that doesn't work. Am I being punked ? This is amateur hour.

FrankWza

This IS an issue. They left a button there that doesn't work. Am I being punked ? This is amateur hour.
If you’re trying to subscribe to plus and you’re currently not then it’s an issue. Otherwise it’s not. You had weeks to sub to PSNow and then more time to find codes and stack them on your account before it was closed out.

scarecrow GIF by Spirit Halloween

IDK this guys history but I know a scarecrow argument when I see one. Even if he defended poor past actions (proprietary storage is a good thing imo but thats debatable) doesn't weaken his current argument. It's a bad move for consumers.

You're a hypocrite. You defend all sorts of crap from Microsoft. But you're very concerned about the PlayStation consumers.

Do you really believe people are that gullible?

You're a hypocrite. You defend all sorts of crap from Microsoft. But you're very concerned about the PlayStation consumers.

Do you really believe people are that gullible?
I AM a PlayStation consumer. More importantly what do I have to do with the video I posted or Sony's policy? Ad hominem attacks are a sign of a weak argument. You think this is a good policy you are free to explain why. I think Hoeg makes an excellent point and I agree with his video.

I AM a PlayStation consumer. More importantly what do I have to do with the video I posted or Sony's policy? Ad hominem attacks are a sign of a weak argument. You think this is a good policy you are free to explain why. I think Hoeg makes an excellent point and I agree with his video.
Yes. We know you search the Internet for videos trashing PlayStation and post them. And then claim, "I'm not trashing PlayStation, THIS guy is. I'm just sharing the video."

At this point im pretty sure that Hoeg guy is employed by Microsoft. Every single time i see his name brought up anywhere it’s some anti-sony video or tweet.

The amount of Fud is out of control

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Downplaying game trials for consumers and arguing against them too. Let him have his little turfing for the 1.5 month pause.
“"If you currently have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now membership, due to changes we are making to the service prior to launch, you won’t be able to redeem a voucher code for that service until your existing membership expires and deactivates, or after the new PlayStation Plus service launches in your area, whichever happens first. Rest assured that your voucher code is still valid. See next question for further information. "”

Let’s see if he even acknowledges the OP update, maybe there is a different random video he can find that suits his soft PameGass promotion ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
At this point im pretty sure that Hoeg guy is employed by Microsoft. Every single time i see his name brought up anywhere it’s some anti-sony video or tweet.

Mmmh… there may be some bias for the home company, but I disagree all his videos are negative towards Sony (his titles and some of content being clickbaity / console warrish is par for the course for algorithms that are designed to promote divisive and fiery / negative material, content creators adapt…). Look at the one he made explaining the Bungie acquisition, that painted Sony in a quite clever spot for example.

Kagey K

Banned

Instead of calling it Fud why don't you rebutt what you think he said was wrong?

Crying fud makes it sound like he's right, and you don't like it. (I haven't watched the video)

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I’m not sure a MS employee would have the following videos:

“Perfect Dark raises MS management concerns” (a month ago)
“Microsoft x Activision: time to worry?” (a month ago)
“Activision, MS and the California board quotas” (a month ago)
“Did activists just ask the FTC to kill the Activision deal?” (a month ago)

If he works for MS I’m worried about his next performance appraisal…

Kerotan

So you telling me that if I'm subbed to ps Plus until 2027 and I had of bought ps now recently they would have given me the top tier on the new service until 2027?

Kagey K

Banned
So you telling me that if I'm subbed to ps Plus until 2027 and I had of bought ps now recently they would have given me the top tier on the new service until 2027?
Yes

But if you stacked 5 years of plus and 5 years of now thinking you would get 10 years, you would be sadly disappointed.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I always bought two different subs. Psplus and psnow. Those are combining into one.

PSPLUS ESSENTIAL is same price and benefits. Play online and get your "free" games.

PSPLUS EXTRA is the equivalent of what ive always had. I always bought plus off of cdkeys for $40 and psnow for $60 a year. The new service is going to cost me exactly the same amount ($100) except better value because they are adding PS5 games and upping the PS4 games. So it's a better deal and I'll get more use out of it.

PLUS PREMIUM is just ESSENTIAL AND EXTRA with access to older titles. I might get curious and try it for a month but I have hardware to play every gen so it's not something I would sub to. Definitely for the BC junkies. Hopefully PS1 and PS2 titles play natively but PS3 won't. This part doesn't matter with low latency internet.

I've already stacked but they should have left this open for people to get.
PS now had those older games. I played through MGS4 and Ape Escape via PS now. That was the entire point of the service...

DaGwaphics

Didn't watch the video. I'd assume they are just redeeming them for store credit of the correct value right ($60 for a 1yr PSNow card and so on)? If they've erased the value of a gift card, I'm pretty sure that is illegal in most states, so, they will hear about that in some way or another.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Look at it the other way. It seems like what they will allow long-term is for subscribers to switch between PS+ tiers. So say, you bought 12 months of the mid-tier offering, you could convert that to a longer duration of basic PSP+ or a shorter period of max tier PS+.

Which is actually quite useful potentially.

yurinka

If your PS Now sub doesn't expire before the new PS+ is released in your country yes (let's say it expires in August), your PS+ and PS Now subs will migrate to PS+ Premium, the top tier, and you'll have it until 2027.

If at the moment of the release in your country you have both subs active, you'll get PS+ Premium. And its expiration date will be the longer one you had in PS+ or PS Now (in this case 2027).

But if your PS Now sub expires before the new PS+ gets released in your country and at release you only have PS+ expired, you'll be migrated to PS+ Essential (lowest tier), so you'll continue having the same features, content, expiration date and pricing to renew or stack you have now.

Idk what happened with PS this gen but they are looking like Xbox PR from the Xbox one era right now.
Nah, these years Sony has been breaking several gaming industry history records with their gaming division metrics for a console maker, for any console, amount of GOTY awards and social media numbers for any gaming company. Something that never happened at Xbox.

And regarding their games, Sony exclusives are selling better than they ever did.

So you may not like something they do or say, or the gaming media says about them, but their resuts shows that players voting with their wallets like their stuff.

Last edited:

Fredrik

It's something that Sony did, so they have to complain and be superconcerned about it.
Lol nobody should throw rocks in this glass house, it goes both ways.
Renting games is bad yadayadayada, I don’t care, I just go where I get the most games for the least money.
Living the dream, stacked til 2024 on both the new PS+ and Gamepass
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF

Kerotan

If your PS Now sub doesn't expire before the new PS+ is released in your country yes (let's say it expires in August), your PS+ and PS Now subs will migrate to PS+ Premium, the top tier, and you'll have it until 2027.

If at the moment of the release in your country you have both subs active, you'll get PS+ Premium. And its expiration date will be the longer one you had in PS+ or PS Now (in this case 2027).

But if your PS Now sub expires before the new PS+ gets released in your country and at release you only have PS+ expired, you'll be migrated to PS+ Essential (lowest tier), so you'll continue having the same features, content, expiration date and pricing to renew or stack you have now.

Nah, these years Sony has been breaking several gaming industry history records with their gaming division metrics for a console maker, for any console, amount of GOTY awards and social media numbers for any gaming company. Something that never happened at Xbox.

And regarding their games, Sony exclusives are selling better than they ever did.

So you may not like something they do or say, or the gaming media says about them, but their resuts shows that players voting with their wallets like their stuff.
Lol so I should have bought a years worth of ps now because I'm subbed to Plus until 2027. I take it it's too late to do it?

yurinka

Lol so I should have bought a years worth of ps now because I'm subbed to Plus until 2027. I take it it's too late to do it?
If your PS Now sub expires after the new PS+ gets released in your country, even if it's a few days later, you'll have PS+ Premium until 2027.

If your PS Now sub expires before the new PS+ gets released in your contry, even if it's the day before, you'll have PS+ Essential until 2027.

You can't buy PS Now anywhere and even if you found a code you won't be able to stack if still subscribed. Stacking is temporally disabled until the new service gets released, until then old codes will be reedemables to subscribe if you aren't already a subscriber, not to stack.

Nah I'm subbed to PS Plus for 2027 but I've no ps now sub. I should have bought a year ps now!
In this case you'll have PS+ Essential until 2027. Yes, the best thing for you would have been to have bough PS Now until July.

Once they release the new PS+, they said that they will have an option to upgrade your remaining months to higher tiers by paying the difference for these remaining months.

Let's say a year of Premium is $119.99 and a year of essential is $59.99. So the difference for a year is $60 if you want to migrate from the lowest to the highest tier. If when upgrading let's say you have exactly 5 years to migrate I understand it would be $60x5=$300. It's a lot of money, but still less than to pay the full $119.99x5, that would be $599.95

Last edited:

Kerotan

If your PS Now sub expires after the new PS+ gets released in your country, even if it's a few days later, you'll have PS+ Premium until 2027.

If your PS Now sub expires before the new PS+ gets released in your contry, even if it's the day before, you'll have PS+ Essential until 2027.

You can't buy PS Now anywhere and even if you found a code you won't be able to stack if still subscribed. Stacking is temporally disabled until the new service gets released, until then old codes will be reedemables to subscribe if you aren't already a subscriber, not to stack.
But if you're not subbed to PS now at all will a pre paid card work now because I'm not actually subbed? So technically it ain't stacking?

FrankWza

But if you're not subbed to PS now at all will a pre paid card work now because I'm not actually subbed? So technically it ain't stacking?
If you’re completely Unsubbed from both services you should be able to redeem a plus code. Otherwise you cant. PSNow doesn’t work from what I’ve seen

Last edited:
Top Bottom