• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has reportedly blocked PlayStation Plus and PS Now subscription stacking (Update: stacking will resume when service launches, codes still valid)

yurinka

But if you're not subbed to PS now at all will a pre paid card work now because I'm not actually subbed? So technically it ain't stacking?
I don't know if it would count as stacking or not.

In the case it works, the best for you (and me, I'm in a similar case with a long PS+ sub but with no PS Now sub) would be to get a 3 months PS Now code for your country.

But they did stop selling PS Now codes many months ago and Sony disabled the option of buying PS Now on the PSN store. So it's impossible to buy them anywhere.

Kerotan

If you’re completely Unsubbed from both services you should be able to redeem a plus code. Otherwise you cant. PSNow doesn’t work from what I’ve seen
Like I said I'm subbed to PS Plus untill 2027 but I've never subbed to PS now. So you're telling me a ps now pre paid card won't work at all?

FrankWza

Like I said I'm subbed to PS Plus untill 2027 but I've never subbed to PS now. So you're telling me a ps now pre paid card won't work at all?
Probably not. That would convert you plus to the highest tier for 5 years. If you have a code try it. The only way I’ve seen to get a new code is on a 3rd party site and I think someone said Sony rewards still has 3 month codes but I don’t think you can add them right now, even if you have no active subs of any kind. Just plus if you have no other subs.The codes will work later on after the launch.

yurinka

If you find 3 month PS Now cards -in my case for Spain- anywhere please let me know. I'd buy it and test if it works now or not. In my case I think over a year of PS+ and I'm not a PS Now subscriber since years ago.

In PSN store, cdkeys.com, eneba.com, amazon.es, Instant Gaming are sold out.

Last edited:

Kerotan

If you find 3 month PS Now cards -in my case for Spain- anywhere please let me know. I'd buy it and test if it works now or not. In my case I think over a year of PS+ and I'm not a PS Now subscriber since years ago.

If you can get a German EU PS Now card for 3 months would it work in Spain, Ireland and other euro countries?

SLB1904

Banned

same situation, you would think all these out rage you would find at least one card for sale, nope. not even on ebay

FrankWza

Someone said a few pages back they were able to get one on Sony rewards.
If you can get a German EU PS Now card for 3 months would it work in Spain, Ireland and other euro countries?
it’s worth the risk with PSNow because you can always add and be converted later even if it’s doesn’t do a full conversion. Just buy it if you find it

yurinka

Yes, but I think -maybe I'm wrong- Sony rewards are country specific and you can't buy there PS Now, instead it's a system where you get points for watching movies in the cinema, buying other Sony stuff or things like that.

it’s worth the risk with PSNow because you can always add and be converted later even if it’s doesn’t do a full conversion. Just buy it if you find it
Yes, I'll buy it if I find it. But I searched for it and didn't find it.

But it should be a code for Spain, the other from other countries don't work. I would be able to use the code in a new account of that country, but since it isn't the same account where I have the PS+ they wouldn't merge for the PS+. We need to find a PS Now code for the same PSN country/region of the account where we have PS+.

Last edited:

yurinka

same situation, you would think all these out rage you would find at least one card for sale, nope. not even on ebay
This is why I think there's a lot of fake concern in some of the complains since PS Now codes have not been sold since many months ago.

FrankWza

Yes, but I think -maybe I'm wrong- Sony rewards are country specific and you can't buy there PS Now, instead it's a system where you get points for watching movies in the cinema, buying other Sony stuff or things like th
Oh ok. I thought it was for Sony credit card but that makes sense too.
Yes, I'll buy it if I find it. But I searched for it and didn't find it.
There’s a link somewhere in the first few pages for 3rd party sites. I think it’s cdkeys and don’t know if they’ll work

SLB1904

Banned
This is why I think there's a lot of fake concern in some of the complains since PS Now codes have not been sold since many months ago.
Of course is a fake concern. Who has a fucking card to spare sell it to me. Nope not one single person

yurinka

Oh ok. I thought it was for Sony credit card but that makes sense too.

There’s a link somewhere in the first few pages for 3rd party sites. I think it’s cdkeys and don’t know if they’ll work

Ok thanks. I see there they seem to have 1, 3 or 12 month PS Now codes for some countries (US, UK, AT, CH) but in my case the Spain one ("ES") appears as "sold out" for 1, 3 and 12 months. Electronicfirst is UK only, so no luck for m.

yurinka

I've got 2 3 month ps now carda will wait until the end of June to use them I guess.
If you already have PS+ for more than 6 months, the best thing for you should be to activate 1 of these codes before it releases in your country. By doing so you'll have PS+ Premium with your current PS+ expiration date. It shouldn't allow you to activate the 2nd code because Sony says that until the new PS+ release they allow to redeem codes to subscribe, but not to extend.

They'll allow to redeem codes after the release of the new PS+, but the number of days of the codes will be adapted to the new pricing (meaning that you'll get less days per code if you activate them after the release).

yurinka

Yooo guys! FrankWza FrankWza SLB1904 SLB1904 Kerotan Kerotan Slicker than your average Slicker than your average

I had around a year of PSN left and now I wasn't subscribed to PS Now even if I was while ago, found a 3 months PS Now code for my country in G2A for twenty something euros. Tried it and...
image.png

image.png

It works! For twenty something euros now I'll have a around a year of PS Now+PS+ and later PS+ Premium until late April 2023!

So if you're subscribed to only one subscription you still can redeem a code for the other one. Seems they only disabled to redeem codes for to extend a subscription you already have subscribed (as in my case would have been PS+) but not to join a subscription you weren't subscribed now (in my case PS Now).

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Yooo guys! FrankWza FrankWza SLB1904 SLB1904 Kerotan Kerotan Slicker than your average Slicker than your average

I had around a year of PSN left and now I wasn't subscribed to PS Now even if I was while ago, found a 3 months PS Now code for my country in G2A for twenty something euros. Tried it and...
image.png

image.png

image.png

It works! For twenty something euros now I'll have a around a year of PS Now+PS+ and later PS+ Premium!

It means that if you're subscribed to only one subscription you still can redeem a code for the other one. But not to extend a subscription you still have active.
I wish I could find a us one

SLB1904

Banned
I saw 3 months ones for US but they are so fucking expensive:

I got so lucky with the pricing
Yep. These are taking advantage now

Kerotan

I don't think Ireland does PS now cards. I Just wasn't bothered doing. But tbh I don't really want to use a service like that. It's more the 2 hour trial on every game I'd like. But whatever.

Kerotan

image.png

image.png

It works! For twenty something euros now I'll have a around a year of PS Now+PS+ and later PS+ Premium until late April 2023!

So if you're subscribed to only one subscription you still can redeem a code for the other one. Seems they only disabled to redeem codes for to extend a subscription you already have subscribed (as in my case would have been PS+) but not to join a subscription you weren't subscribed now (in my case PS Now).
Yo congrats. But I don't think they ever made ps now codes for Ireland.

yurinka

Yo congrats. But I don't think they ever made ps now codes for Ireland.
Thanks! Depending on the region they have a PSN store for multiple countries of a region specially when close to each other and use a common language, I assume there may have a PSN store and codes for Ireland but if they didn't make an Irish PSN store I assume they may include you in the UK store.

Last edited:

Shmunter

So what are the groundes for suing them?
Hey judge I'm suing this company because I want to buy £30 worth of cards and later upgrade for £120 worth service but they won't let me"
Don't be ridiculous
Man, nothing stinks more than corporate apologists.

If you don't see how cynical such a move is, you need to evaluate your morals.

And no, I don't give a toss about having premium myself.

SLB1904

Banned
Man, nothing stinks more than corporate apologists.

If you don't see how cynical such a move is, you need to evaluate your morals.

And no, I don't give a toss about having premium myself.
Oh shut up already with corporate Apologist bullshit. They gave plenty of notice that people would upgrade for free. I didn't take advantage of it and pay the price. You just being stupid for the sake of it. Go cry me a river somewhere else, niggas out here are trying to get a hold of just one card

Shmunter

Oh shut up already with corporate Apologist bullshit. They gave plenty of notice that people would upgrade for free. I didn't take advantage of it and pay the price. You just being stupid for the sake of it. Go cry me a river somewhere else, niggas out here are trying to get a hold of just one card
Go hug your Sony pillow and kiss your Jim poster you shill

That's not loophole at all. Is not even comparable. Stop patting Microsoft on the back like they are doing you any favors

Yes it is as it’s only doable with the Live Gold cards that are slowly disappearing. They could easily block a method that is saving people money just like Sony has.

How is it not even comparable? Do you even understand the finality of that statement? Stop embarrassing yourself.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Yes it is as it’s only doable with the Live Gold cards that are slowly disappearing. They could easily block a method that is saving people money just like Sony has.

How is it not even comparable? Do you even understand the finality of that statement? Stop embarrassing yourself.
Microsoft put a cap for 3 years for a reason is beneficial to them get you on the system for a pound, and apparentlythe conversions rate arent 1:1 like used to. In this same thread people manage to get psnow sub till 2030+. That's a big difference.

How is that comparable?

ManaByte

Microsoft put a cap for 3 years for a reason is beneficial to them get you on the system for a pound, and apparentlythe conversions rate arent 1:1 like used to. In this same thread people manage to get psnow sub till 2030+. That's a big difference.

How is that comparable?

I believe Nintendo caps NSO at three years as well. Only Sony had unlimited stacking and honestly that seems like a security oversight knowing their history. One guy once sat on his controller and accidentally bought something like 15 years of PS+.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sony needs to get raked over the coals. Class action please.

Not a chance.
Closing a loophole during a period when it can be exploited is not anti-consumerism.

Here's the reality:

Closing stacking on PS+ is an inconvenience but otherwise has no downside as old PS+ is just grandfathered in as new base-tier PS+. There is nothing lost or gained.
Closing stacking on PSNow is reasonable because that service is becoming defunct in the near future. There is no exact equivalent in the new 3-tier PS+, which is why they need to offer conversion ratios based on the monetary value of the upcoming service options.

Yes, they could offer to bump everyone up to the top-tier, but there should be no expectation of that.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Not a chance.
Closing a loophole during a period when it can be exploited is not anti-consumerism.

Here's the reality:

Closing stacking on PS+ is an inconvenience but otherwise has no downside as old PS+ is just grandfathered in as new base-tier PS+. There is nothing lost or gained.
Closing stacking on PSNow is reasonable because that service is becoming defunct in the near future. There is no exact equivalent in the new 3-tier PS+, which is why they need to offer conversion ratios based on the monetary value of the upcoming service options.

Yes, they could offer to bump everyone up to the top-tier, but there should be no expectation of that.
Issue is, the terms of purchase on the cards is for the ability for redemption on the service. Cock blocking it deliberately to serve own interest is not the customers problem, not to mention a purchasable transaction having been made under that assumption.

Blocking ps+ stacking temporarily just reeks of arrogance, trying to ensure no one gets the top tier combo at a discount god forbid.

The upgrade scenario Sony advocates is Sony’s problem and shouldn’t be put onto the customers.

There’s nothing more to it, don’t fuck with your users - eat it if you have to. Just another arrogant move by the company.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Issue is, the terms of purchase on the cards is for the ability for redemption on the service. Cock blocking it deliberately to serve own interest is not the customers problem, not to mention a purchasable transaction having been made under that assumption.

Blocking ps+ stacking temporarily just reeks of arrogance, trying to ensure no one gets the top tier combo at a discount god forbid.

The upgrade scenario Sony advocates is Sony’s problem and shouldn’t be put onto the customers.

There’s nothing more to it, don’t fuck with your users - eat it if you have to. Just another arrogant move by the company.

Disagree, their policy distinguishes between existing and new customers showing it to be explicitly about preventing people from gaming the system. This isn't about "fucking with their users" its about stopping users and external merchants fucking with them.

The key point is that new PS+ is actually a substantially different set of subscription offerings to the current PS+ and PS Now setup. Unlike Gamepass which was a new product on top of the pre-existing XBL Gold, making offering it as an introductory promotion a far more obvious choice.

Sony needs to get raked over the coals. Class action please.
For shutting down an obvious loophole?

They should have seen this beforehand, but you can't fault them for shutting it down. Everyone stacking cards knew they were doing so to pay under the actual price. Obviously, that was going to end.

AphexTwunt

For shutting down an obvious loophole?

They should have seen this beforehand, but you can't fault them for shutting it down. Everyone stacking cards knew they were doing so to pay under the actual price. Obviously, that was going to end.

You fault them for NOT seeing it in the first place and having a reasonable solution.

Fucking people over when do they realise is ALSO what you faulty them for.

SLB1904

Banned
You fault them for NOT seeing it in the first place and having a reasonable solution.

Fucking people over when do they realise is ALSO what you faulty them for.
The reasonable solution was letting upgrade for free everyone wins. They gave plenty of notice for people stack up even. What they could do is cancel the sales in the same moment they announced a new service is coming. They were generous enough to leave the flood gates open long enough for people take advantage of it.
You guys just take the piss at this point.

Kerotan

Thanks! Depending on the region they have a PSN store for multiple countries of a region specially when close to each other and use a common language, I assume there may have a PSN store and codes for Ireland but if they didn't make an Irish PSN store I assume they may include you in the UK store.
We would be included with UK except with use Euro they use pounds.

France is the next closest but I doubt they'll work.

yurinka

We would be included with UK except with use Euro they use pounds.

France is the next closest but I doubt they'll work.
I can't help you sorry, I don't know which codes work for Ireland, sorry. I'd say the ones for UK PSN store if there aren't Irish PSN specific store.

I'd suggest you to verify which codes do they seell for Ireland looking at a Ireland only retailer, which PSN gift cards do they have (even if are for PSN credit or PS+). Typically the PSN region is specified in their product name. If they sell UK then if PSN credit gift cards or PS+ gift cards use UK as region, it means they use UK store for Ireland and that any PS Now gift card code for UK would work to you.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I can't help you sorry, I don't know which codes work for Ireland, sorry. I'd say the ones for UK PSN store if there aren't Irish PSN specific store.

I'd suggest you to verify which codes do they seell for Ireland looking at a Ireland only retailer, which PSN gift cards do they have (even if are for PSN credit or PS+). Typically the PSN region is specified in their product name. If they sell UK then if PSN credit gift cards or PS+ gift cards use UK as region, it means they use UK store for Ireland and that any PS Now gift card code for UK would work to you.
I don't think Ireland ever get PSN now. We have PS Plus and PSN cards however.

Top Bottom