• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony-Honda Wants To Compete With Tesla By Putting PS5 In Its EVs

https://www.thegamer.com/sony-honda-compete-tesla-putting-ps5-in-ev/

Sony Honda Mobility's electric vehicles could see you playing Gran Turismo 7 inside the car.

Sony and Honda established a joint venture called Sony Honda Mobility in September. The company doesn't yet have a brand name but they have talked about how the venture could compete with rival players in the electric vehicle market. One idea is building a car around the entertainment offerings Sony has become known for.

Speaking to the Financial Times, the heads of Sony Honda Mobility say they are planning to build an electric car around music, movies, and the PlayStation 5. "Sony has content, services and entertainment technologies that move people. We are adapting these assets to mobility, and this is our strength against Tesla," president Izumi Kawanishi told the FT.

Interesting. How many Gafs own an EV, would you consider this?

93xfan

Banned
It’ll certainly be a good use of fuel and energy. And you can just ask your car mechanic to install your third party SSD.

Last edited:
Given the size of the PS5 I think we might just see a spoiler kit from this partnership for the Japanese market. Introducing the Sonda.

yKY02aI.png

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is getting ridiculous, now I have to buy a car just to purchase a PS5?
I bet Sony will make more profit selling Honda stripped down PS5 specs to embed into a car (no box, gamepad, cables etc...) than selling a PS5 to stores (who resell to gamers).

consoul

FYI, this is some clickbait bullshit.

There's a big difference between them actually saying they're going to put PS5's in cars, and remarking that it would be "technologically possible".

vivftp

I bet Sony will make more profit selling Honda stripped down PS5 specs to embed into a car (no box, gamepad, cables etc...) than selling a PS5 to stores (who resell to gamers).

It's a joint venture between Sony and Honda, so they're not really selling stripped down PS5's to Honda, they'd be selling them to the joint venture company of which Sony are co-owners. Consider the Tesla vehicles come with APUs that're in the ballpark of the PS5. Putting PS5 hardware into a Sony/Honda EV is simply the most logical step to handle all the entertainment needs, and to offer a unique selling point where folks in the back seat (maybe front seat under certain conditions?) can play PS5 games right in the car on the multiple displays.

I chose my car also just because it came with a free tablet. Who wouldn't?
I did not.

While entertainment for the back row is a nice to have for some, but come on. Give your kids a cheap tablet and not waste ressources on high end stuff for the occasional vacation tour that is outdated sooner than the car is. Any entertainment system beyond the radio isn't going to be used 99% of the time anyway.
BS from Tesla and BS here too.

vivftp

Umm... Did Sony/Honda miss the fact that its illegal to have functioning game systems in cars? Or are they just talking about the rear passengers?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/dec/23/tesla-vehicles-video-games-driving

Front seat folks could still play it while the vehicle is not in motion. I think there is a huge difference between the piddly games on a Tesla versus letting someone bring their PlayStation library with them on the road.

Me, for example, I often take my folks to various appointments and I'm chilling in the car for an hour or more. If I could play my PS games on native hardware I'd be ecstatic

Sony's taking care of the entertainment side of things as part of this joint venture and it'd honestly be stupid of them to ignore such a strong unqie selling point as native PS integration. What other car can boast having access to that sort of content library?

It also provides a proof of concept that Sony could sell to other car manufacturers to expand their reach into this market.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Fans: We want a portable console to play PS5 games like Switch.
Sony: Heres one on Honda vehicle. Cloud baby.

Idiots, very insecure needs, some mid-level executives that won't have jobs after the product launch
Why are you so dramatic?
I chose my car also just because it came with a free tablet. Who wouldn't?
I did not.

While entertainment for the back row is a nice to have for some, but come on. Give your kids a cheap tablet and not waste ressources on high end stuff for the occasional vacation tour that is outdated sooner than the car is. Any entertainment system beyond the radio isn't going to be used 99% of the time anyway.
BS from Tesla and BS here too.
Seeing how long consoles hold up. Youre incorrect. Having the entertainment system simply be based on a PS4 would be enough. Having this as a add on or even be default would be a minor cost. Would probably be a nice marketing bulletpoint.

150637-cars-news-lede-image1-9iyjnjc5pg.jpg

Ronin_7

Banned
Cars shouldn't have any tech inside them that can make a driver or others die.

Playing games or watching series/movies inside a Car should be strictly prohibited unless you're stopped.

Top Bottom