• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Introduces Game Trials, Try PS5 Games for a Limited Time (Death Stranding Director's Cut, )

Ezekiel_

Banned
« Sony has sent out a wave of emails that introduces a new feature for PlayStation 5 owners called Game Trials. Starting today, the firm is giving PS5 owners the chance to download certain first-party titles and try them out free of charge for a limited time. The first two games available are Death Stranding Director's Cut and Sackboy: A Big Adventure.

The fine print within the email explains that in order to activate a Game Trial, you'll need to head on over to the PS Store and select the Trial option that's labelled as free. Death Stranding Director's Cut will offer six hours of playtime while Sackboy: A Big Adventure has a five-hour Trial. The timer starts as soon as you trigger the download, so make sure you've got some time to spare otherwise you'll have wasted the opportunity. Accounts are limited to one Game Trial of each game. Since Game Trials are limited to PS5 titles, the PS4 version of Sackboy: A Big Adventure doesn't qualify for this free test.

Your progress, save data, and Trophies will all carry over into the full game should you choose to buy either title after the Game Trial expires. The Game Trials for Death Stranding Director's Cut and Sackboy: A Big Adventure are available until midnight on 28th October 2021. »

Source : https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/10/sony-introduces-game-trials-try-ps5-games-for-a-limited-time

Apparently, there's a way to bypass the download time (I haven't tested) :

Topher

Gold Member
LOL playtime timer that starts with the download. GTFO

planned parenthood chelsea GIF

Fbh

So basically just a demo.
And yeah LOL at the timer starting with the download. With the internet I have at Home I'll be way past those 6 or 5 hours before a 60+ gb game is done downloading.

A simple method : 1- Make a new Account With Same Region With your main account 2- Click Download Trial on New Account 3- After Download , Go To Main Account and Click on Download Trial 4- Because you downloaded before , you don't need download again and can play 5. That's not my post.

Last edited:

Mithos

So basically just a demo.
And yeah LOL at the timer starting with the download. With the internet I have at Home I'll be way past those 6 or 5 hours before a 60+ gb game is done downloading.
Yeah, though I do have "better" Internet speed now (30-50/20-30mbit), then before (8/1mbit). It still takes hours downloading big stuff.

My previous Internet speed... 100gb ~36 hours download time...

Last edited:

Belthazar

It's a very nice way of allowing for demos without the extra work of programming one, it has a lot of potential.

But I doubt they'll offer those for new games at the release date... demos are known to reduce sales at launch (it deters people from impulse buying), so they'll probably avoid that and just use it as a way to boost sales after they die down.

About the timer starting when you press download: kinda dumb, but the total time is pretty generous to account for that.

Last edited:

Amiga

finally getting to that PS+ feature promised way back in 2010:

"Full game trials which allow you to play up to 60 consecutive minutes of a game. When you purchase the full game (or when you insert the Blu-ray disc of that game), you will get the PSN trophies that you earned during the trial."

Belthazar

finally getting to that PS+ feature promised way back in 2010:

"Full game trials which allow you to play up to 60 consecutive minutes of a game. When you purchase the full game (or when you insert the Blu-ray disc of that game), you will get the PSN trophies that you earned during the trial."

This was available on PS3 at the time for a lot of games. And I think it still is.

Last edited:
That time limit starting from when you click download is absurd. 5 hours isn’t even long enough for some people to download these games lol.
True
No? Game pass doesn’t only let you play for 5 hours…….
Well, technically no, not at all. However if you had discussed GamePass in the related threads there are always people that will tell you it's a great games trial service. Once you have the trial for free what is GamePass good for for these people (those who don't use it that way are not affected by this, but it was explained as a "demo" service to me many times).

Markio128

Whilst this does sound silly (which it is a little), remember that you don’t need to wait for the full game to download to begin playing it. You can generally start playing after 5-30mins depending on size of game, so you should still get a few hours of gameplay.

yurinka

Awesome news. As I remember they did it in PS3 with 1 hour trials. It would be nice to do it with all games in both PS4 and PS5.

I assume that like in PS3 it will start to count when you start to play and only will count played hours, not when you download it or when you aren't playing it.

Last edited:

NEbeast

So I started to download sackboy over 5 hours ago and your telling me when I boot it up tomorrow its going to say I've run out of time? Fuck off. What cock thought that was a good idea. Not everyone can download and play instantly.
5 hours to download? Shiiiiit.

Top Bottom