• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Introduces Game Trials, Try PS5 Games for a Limited Time (Death Stranding Director's Cut, )

martino

Great feature i want to be generalized to all games
This would be a good counter measure to gamepass in my case
I intend to use gamepass as a way to test games i don't have interest at first (or for my video game culture) at some point (when i have a XSX)
(i know some of you will tell me to use gamepass on pc but game are not the same and i'm a huge fan of xbox app there, opinions)
This could make acquiring a XSX irrelevant for ME because i have no problem and will always buy and support game i like

FranXico

The only logical reason I can see them implementing the timer from the point of download is that they can't track when you start the game itself which is just pathetic in 2021. Even Nintendo did better with the 30 plays demo system.
The PS5 has an actual playtime tracker, you can see in the profile menu.

This decision has Jim Ryan written all over it.

Last edited:

skit_data

I’ll try Sackboy, it seems fun and I haven’t bought it.

Can’t say I’m in need to try much else 1st party tbh. I already own most of it, and the upcoming titles in 2022 I already know I will be buying day 1 unless for some reason they get catastrophic reviews which I highly, highly doubt.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bitching about 100% free feature? Yes, I'm in the right destination.

BowedBeneficialFinwhale-size_restricted.gif

dcmk7

Banned
I think this idea is better than nothing.

It seems a bit silly starting the timer once the download starts however.

Hopefully the feedback they receive should get that changed in the near future.

OK, whoevers idea it was for the timer to start on download needs to be fired immediately. A good idea ruined by a baffling decision.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
LOL playtime timer that starts with the download. GTFO

Yo WTF?
So Trial a game thats 100GBs it takes me more than 5 hours to download 100GBs, as soon as I boot it my time is up?

I guess its true to form they are showing you how much of the game you would be able to play in 5 hours with my slow ass internet.

Im sure they will patch it to start counting at launch of the game the same way EA trials work.

SaucyJack

Yo WTF?
So Trial a game thats 100GBs it takes me more than 5 hours to download 100GBs, as soon as I boot it my time is up?

I guess its true to form they are showing you how much of the game you would be able to play in 5 hours with my slow ass internet.

Im sure they will patch it to start counting at launch of the game the same way EA trials work.

Notwithstanding the download on a different account first workaround ….. aren’t both of these games playable after only being partially downloaded, like most PS5 games.

HoodWinked

It's so much dumber if you think about a typical use case.

Someone will start the download for the demo then naturally they'll go do something else, either forget or just end up being busy. Then come back 6 hours later or the next day. They just realize they downloaded several gigs of data which can't be played. It's the equivalent of downloading a brick.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Never heard of this before! You're telling me I can actually try a game before buying it!?!?!?!? WAIT, WAIT!! So it's like, like a... fucking DEMO?
Ah well, nothing new then. Moving on and thank you.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Bitching about 100% free feature? Yes, I'm in the right destination.

BowedBeneficialFinwhale-size_restricted.gif
If it was playtime I’m sure no one (sane) would have complained. As it stands the backlash is understandable. It’s dangling a carrot then taking it away, forcing workarounds to make it usable.

The timer starting when you hit download is an obvious misstep and ruins the whole thing. Download doesn’t complete in time? Tough luck, trial done forever through no fault of your own.

Fix that and the feature will get its due praise.

ZywyPL

Banned
Great idea, terrible execution. I mentioned such solution literally a week ago, as an alternative to nowadays non-existent demos, but downloading and installing games is not playing them FFS ..

Impotaku

It's sounds very similar system to the nintendo online trials thingy however nintendo lets you play for 3-5 days at least to see if you like it. Tried it a few times as it lets you play the full game with no restrictions to see if it's something potentially for you. Having only a few hours to try it out seems a bit tight hopefully sony sees the light and extends the time limit to something actually useable as a lot of games don't give you a good feel of how they are till quite a few hours in.

Fredrik

Maybe the ”Why would I want to live there?” guy from the pre-launch XB1 days has started working at Sony? 🤔

Great idea, terrible execution, unless you have lightning speed internet.

Trimesh

Banned
If that is genuinely the way it's been implemented then I have to say it's one of the most baffling decisions I've ever heard...

Bragr

Banned
HAHAHA they should link into a rickroll for people with bad internet at the completion of the download.

arvfab

Banned
So Sony decided to use a feature they had for a long time, untie it from PS+ (good), but implements it in such a way, that is more or less unusable (really bad).

Either Sony is trolling, or it was an overlooked problem.

If they implemented it intentionally this way, I don't have enough hands for the facepalms this deserves.

Of course they can change it. They just didnt make an effort
Hmm, yes, to be fair my wording was poor (or ironically, low effort) - I meant with the way they have implemented it, this won’t be a simple change. They went with the most low effort option I suspect, and its unsuitability for the project is why it’s the (ridiculous) way that it is.

So how can I try it? I looked up the games in the store but it didn't give me an option for a trial. Actually it seemed like it was making me buy the PS4 version of the game but then i realized it was like a PS4 & PS5 version combined for sackboy.

I tried with Dead Stranding too but it didn't let me.

Xander3116

Who said that death stranding was about a 6 hour trial? with download and play time i counted 3 and a half hours and when i tried to start it up today it told me that my "license has expired" lol

Synless

So how can I try it? I looked up the games in the store but it didn't give me an option for a trial. Actually it seemed like it was making me buy the PS4 version of the game but then i realized it was like a PS4 & PS5 version combined for sackboy.

I tried with Dead Stranding too but it didn't let me.
I’m having the same issue, I have a ps5 so it should be working.

I’m having the same issue, I have a ps5 so it should be working.
Yeah me too. I don't know what'sthe issue, I'm accessing through the PS5 so it should allow me to do it. Has anyone from the US confirmed they are a le to do this? I only saw some guys from Europe confirming it.

So I started to download sackboy over 5 hours ago and your telling me when I boot it up tomorrow its going to say I've run out of time? Fuck off. What cock thought that was a good idea. Not everyone can download and play instantly.
Can only be a soft cock.
Not hard enough mate.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I think the playtime timer is intentional, perhaps it can avoid the involvement of the developers?

Saber

Gold Member
The idea sounds neat in the paper...but great scott, who heck though the timer starting on downloading was a good idea? Did they even test with an avarage player or casual before launching?

Only shows they don't really give much of a crap about this.

FranXico

The idea sounds neat in the paper...but great scott, who heck though the timer starting on downloading was a good idea? Did they even test with an avarage player or casual before launching?

Only shows they don't really give much of a crap about this.
Maybe they tested with ultrafast internet in their offices. It's ridiculous, people should complain.

Plantoid

Yesterday I booted scarlet nexus on my phone through xcloud instantly, played a bit, saw that it wasn't for me, save me the download...

Top Bottom