• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Dealing With PlayStation 5 Shortage by Making More PS4s (only producing about 1 million for the entire year)

skit_data

Also, did we have Sony making games for PS3 and 2 after a year of it's next console's release? I can only think of GT.
God of War 2 and GT7 were both only released on the previous console.
I’ll take this strategy every day of the week rather than that one, that’s for sure.

But I too want 2022s releases to be the last crossgen releases.

Von Hugh

wow this is good news for switch.

james franco GIF

Topher

Gold Member
The article explains why this is considered "news":
Their sources indicated that production would stop by end of 2021 but plans have changed.

That Sony was planning for faster transitioning to PS5 this generation.

So, the article implies that even though the case of PS4 is no different than PS3 and 2, it was not planned to be that way.

That is not "news". It will be "news" when Sony officially makes an announcement. At this point, it is just a rumor from a writer who has reported rumors that were incorrect in the past.

Also, did we have Sony making games for PS3 and 2 after a year of it's next console's release? I can only think of GT.

No idea. Backward compatibility wasn't nearly as easy with PS2 and PS3 as it is with PS4 and PS5. Costs of producing cross-gen are a lot less as a result.

Allandor

Well, as hard as it is this would make sense. This is a company that wants to make as much money as they can and the demand is there. So why shouldn't they use this demand to make more money. Also the production process of the PS4 is much cheaper now. There are not enough wafers for 6 and 7nm processes but for the older process nodes they are still capacities. So why not use those, too. I don't think they will make as PS4 mini (which would be great ^^). But just to dream a bit, maybe they put an sata SSD in it ^^ as prices came down in that sector quite a bit. But I guess a 512gb HDD is still cheaper to buy for them.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This reeks of nvidia relaunching the 2060, and it also shows that MS did some wizardry and absolute fluke with the series S.

honestly, the worry will not be that the series s exists this gen it absolutely will be that Sony have had no option but to support the PS4 for longer than they would like.
it wouldn’t surprise me if they are back to losing money on the ps5 and they have been forced to look at alternative options to support the business.

what a tough few years it has been, and that we may not see truly next gen games on these machines for some time. Probably by the time they would be launching pro machines is a shame.

weol bring on more 60fps games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't see shortages much anymore... just stupid 750 usd bundles are freerly available from media markt here. 2 games, 12 month ps+(or controller) and physical ps5. So not even the worst deal in the world. But reeks of official scalping

Last edited:

Tschumi

As i see it this confirms what i keep saying about sony belatedly making ps5 exclusive titles cross gen to make up for how slowly ps5 is selling and continue to benefit from the ubiquitous ps4

I don't see shortages much anymore... just stupid 750 usd bundles are freerly available from media markt here. 2 games, 12 month ps+(or controller) and physical ps5. So not even the worst deal in the world. But reeks of official scalping
The shortage is starting to slowly die down. I think people are overreacting. This is the last year Sony first party games will be released on the PS4.

As i see it this confirms what i keep saying about sony belatedly making ps5 exclusive titles cross gen to make up for how slowly ps5 is selling and continue to benefit from the ubiquitous ps4
The thing is none of the “cross gen” games were ever PS5 exclusive. God of War Ragnok and Horizon FW for example were always going to be cross gen games from day one.

If you look at the native first party games on PS5 like R&C Rift Apart and demon souls you can clearly see those games would not be possible for PS4.

So the narrative that Sony is purposely making “PS5 games cross gen” isn’t true. They planned for some games to be cross gen before they knew the shortage would happen to make as much money as possible from day one which makes sense from a business standpoint.

You can’t just turn a PS5 game into a PS4 game lol that has to be planned in the early stages of development.

Last edited:

Elios83

The usual sensationalistic article by Mochizuki.
1 million PS4s for the full fiscal year isn't going to compensate or reach any of the goals listed in the article.

If you want some actual news about Sony's plans and shortages situation wait for the financial report on February 2.

Last edited:
People so worried about cross gen. Luckily for me nothing I care about has been hurt by cross gen ; horizon, gow and GT are garbo.

Games like sackboy and resident evil are cross gen but the base ps4 version of each is very pared back, so it doesn’t matter.

What would be nice to see is a cheap ps4 pro slim, as a cheap option and also not all ps4 games play nice on ps5 yet. Shadow of colossus i’m looking at you 😞

Last edited:

Jose92

[Membe
Takashi Mochizuki is an idiot that has been proven to talk rubbish. This is totally normal throughout generations Sony would keep producing older consoles hell the ps1 officially stop production 2006.

Tschumi

The thing is none of the “cross gen” games were ever PS5 exclusive. God of War Ragnok and Horizon FW for example were always going to be cross gen games from day one.

If you look at the native first party games on PS5 like R&C Rift Apart and demon souls you can clearly see those games would not be possible for PS4.

So the narrative that Sony is purposely making “PS5 games cross gen” isn’t true. They planned for some games to be cross gen before they knew the shortage would happen to make as much money as possible from day one which makes sense from a business standpoint.

You can’t just turn a PS5 game into a PS4 game lol that has to be planned in the early stages of development.
Alright if that's the case, I'll withdraw that part of my reasoning in future, but besides that what's the upshot of your point re: my assertion? I guess it still holds true that they're doubling down on using the ocean of ps4 consoles out there to float some titles through the pandemic?

Elios83

Ah… ok so it is their Ben Kuchera gotcha 😉.

Don't know about him but Mochizuki just tries to make hits out of negative sensationalistic Sony articles on Bloomberg.
Last year he claimed that the SSD update was late because sources told him they needed to figure out how to handle the extra heat and that the internal fan would need to spin faster if you installed one :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This article doesn't make sense as well given that just 1 million units for a whole year isn't going to accomplish anything at all.
He's just trying to make an article based on the fact that PS4 won't be totally and officially discontinued?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Pretty sure you completely missed his point......

Well the most likely thing is that many "hardcore" sony fans ran around saying that ps5 was the only "real" next gen machine because sony "believed in generations" cutting off the old one to focus on the new. This is just another "slap in the face" from Sony in that the generations thing was just a big lie. (PC support, big games cross gen, etc)

The second would likely be the all of the panning people did of series S and how it was holding back next gen ......kind of makes that look silly in the face of prolonged ps4 production and support.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not the right thing to do I’m afraid. I absolutely understand why they’re doing it. But no. I know the Series S gets pelters on here but an easier to produce 4-6tf PS5 with a lower target resolution and SSD could have sold whatever they could put on shelves.

It’s simply impossible to go back to hard disk drives.

Last edited:

reksveks

What happens to a game like ff16? Do they release it to just a platform that's probably likely to be 25m globally and sub 3m in Japan.

I think so but its going to be interesting to see the sales numbers.

Does anyone know what ff7r remake sold? (last update obviously)

Top Bottom