• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Dealing With PlayStation 5 Shortage by Making More PS4s (only producing about 1 million for the entire year)

Lognor

Banned
Mr Bean GIF

You're still wrong, and have a great lack of understanding of your own language.
I'm still wrong, even though I just proved YOU wrong. "Nuh-uh you're wrong." LOL riiiiight

Lognor

Banned
You've only proven me right about your lack of understanding for your own language.
So it's not your language? Got it. I figured English wasn't your first language. Good shot though, buddy! Just keep at it. One day you too can speak proper English.

NickFire

I think people are making much ado about nada. I want cross gen to go away as much as anyone, but how likely is it that selling more PS4's would actually prevent that? I would think any game on track to release anytime "soon" is already being developed as cross gen or new gen only. And is Sony really going to change long term plans because they sold roughly 1% - 1.5% more PS4's than they expected? That does not sound likely to me. But if anyone can prove Sony just ordered more future games to be redesigned over this, I'm happy to change my meh to rabble rabble.

Whatever. I'm done with you. Didn't realize English wasn't your first language. I shouldn't pick on you. My apologies.
Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF

It's ok... If you keep having hard time with your own native language, you can always ask help from me.

No need to apologise for your ignorance...
I'm here to help.

Three

I like how you assume every gamer cares about those games what if you don't like any of those games? then the PS5 offers absolutely nothing
and PS5/Series are on an even playing field thats the situation I'm in right now until Armored Core (a game I actually want to play) comes out next gen doesn't exist
But where did I say anybody should care about any game? I just find it funny that Lognor Lognor couldn't see the benefit of others buying PS5s because there were 'only 3 Sony PS5 exclusives' (which is what those games listed are) when he went and bought a Series X with like 1 which came out on PC a year prior (FS2020) . If he didn't mean first party by 'Sony PS5 exclusives' then his numbers are wrong, (they are wrong anyway mind you) .

I'm not saying you personally should care about any game. The list is only just a list to count what he was saying.

Last edited:
I honestly don't mind this at all.

There's no incentive to pick up a PS5 right now (everything is cross-gen) and scalpers are having a field day with units upwards of $1000.
My PS4 Pro is in console heaven and was the 1st edition which ran really hot and really loud which was annoying AF.
I have 120+ unfinished games in my PS library.

I'm down for another go on a newer PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
The original Jim Ryan interview where people THOUGHT he said it, didn't.

But Sony was well aware of how that was percieved.

And months later doubled down with a pretty clear statement about games not being cross-gen.

Here's a snippet of the transcript from the summer 2020 PS5 showcase, where they showed HFW, GT7, and teased GoW IIRC.

They doubled down.. they knew exactly what people thought.. they even hid that Miles Morales was cross gen for MONTHS only announcing PS4 version a bit before release..

I mean come on....lol

Sony knew exactly what they were doing; they knew the internet made fun of Xbox for saying they were supporting cross-gen for 1-2 years.. they knew their "we believe in generations" interview was well received, and that people saw it as them promissing to not be like XBox (and lets be honest, they specifically targeted that interview).. and then they outright stated their games could "only be enjoyed" on PS5. Those games, by and large, are being released on PS4.

Sony is a bunch of shrewd as hell businessmen, not your friend.

The bolded isn't fair, because different people "perceived" it differently. I took it the exact way he meant it. Others decided to be trolls or goofs about it. They again DO NOT SAY all their future games will only be playable on the PS5. The problem with some people is they like to project what they believe someone said, into what they believe they said.

People like me (and others that are smart) read or hear exactly what someone says and take it for exactly what it is\was. I don't add extra sauce to it and try to extrapolate it into something that wasn't said.

Many people seem to ignore the fact that MS also took the "lets not change much of anything from the Xbox One gen to the Xbox Series gen" approach.

- Same GUI
- Same controllers
- Same Store Front
- First 1 or 2 were going to have no next-gen only games

MS chose to take that approach because they are obviously going in a different direction and wanted to make things as simple as possible for all their consumers when it came to be an Xbox gamer. They didn't want their gamers to need to buy different controllers or get used to a new Graphical User Interface. And that matches up perfectly with their "Put all 1st party games on PC" approach too. Microsoft is going wide with their approach. It's why they aren't adopting VR also. Every game needs to be playable on a console, PC, or smart phone (via Xcloud). Use your same controllers that you bought 6 years ago. It's all good.

Sony went with a different approach (that was technically the same one they've had for every generation leap). Flush out the old and in with the new. The main thing that changed was that due to the PC architecture........they can bring over PS4 games. But the GUI, controllers, store front, etc are ALL different. Why? Because they believe in generations.

mckmas8808

Banned
Because one costs 4x as much as a used version of the other. This is about value proposition to some people who aren't you. If the money isn't a big deal then you probably don't downgrade, like me, but not everyone is the same. If someone gets a PS5 and realises they're paying ~£375 to play the same 2022 games with faster loading they might not consider that a good deal at all and it might be a good idea to downgrade until there's more shit worth playing.

Most people do not read industry news snippets and forums and don't know who Jim Ryan is. It's not unreasonable for Joe Public to assume that he "needed" a PS5 only to realise he actually didn't because the cross-generation bridge is going to last well into 2023. Just look at the sheer number of games that came out in 2015 (after the PS4 launched late 2013) that you could not play on a PS3. Compare it to the number of games coming out this year you won't be able to play on a PS4. It's not even remotely comparable. I know several people who are regretting buying the new consoles for this very reason.

At the same time, millions of people are perfectly happy with their purchases. This isn't about an objective answer, this is about people being completely incapable of understand other consumer's needs vs. means.

Then that gamer is an idiot for buying a new next-gen console, just to sell it within one year. As hard as it is to buy these new consoles, no budget minded gamer should have bought a $500 console and NOT realize that they could have just kept their PS4 the whole time (just because they feel like there's not enough PS5 only games).

Plus that idiot gamer is hustling backwards. Imagine this hypothetical idiot gamer doing this....

1. Spend $500 on a new next-gen console at launch.
2. Spend $70 on a new PS5 controller.
3. Buys a few PS5 only games (like Ratchet and Demon Souls) for a total of $140.
4. Gets mad that Horizon 2, GT7, and God of War: Ragnarok are being sold on the PS4 in 2022
5. Sells PS5 for $700 in January 2022
6. Buys a used PS4 for $250 in March 2022 and downgrades.
7. Watching Sony's VR event at the end of March 2022 and gets excited about PSVR2 that he knows will now come out in September 2022.
8. Watches E3 in June 2022 and sees a bunch of awesome PS5 games that will be coming out at the end of 2022 and in 2023.
9. In September 2022 he realizes that he actually shouldn't have sold the PS5 because the big cross gen games actually don't run that well on the PS4, but run flawlessly at 60 fps on the PS5.
10. Sells his PS4 in October 2022 for $150 and buys another PS5 for $500.

Trimesh

Banned
My guess is that this is mostly about not wasting production capacity - if they booked some big CM like Flex to make "n" million PS5s but they can't make them because of component shortages then they still have to pay for the production capacity they blocked out even if they can't use it. Since the overlap between the parts used in the PS4 and the PS5 is very limited but the production flow is similar they would make a good line filler product - when you run short of some part for the PS5, you can run PS4s instead rather than having a factory full of people twiddling their thumbs until the parts arrive.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Then that gamer is an idiot for buying a new next-gen console, just to sell it within one year. As hard as it is to buy these new consoles, no budget minded gamer should have bought a $500 console and NOT realize that they could have just kept their PS4 the whole time (just because they feel like there's not enough PS5 only games).

Plus that idiot gamer is hustling backwards. Imagine this hypothetical idiot gamer doing this....

1. Spend $500 on a new next-gen console at launch.
2. Spend $70 on a new PS5 controller.
3. Buys a few PS5 only games (like Ratchet and Demon Souls) for a total of $140.
4. Gets mad that Horizon 2, GT7, and God of War: Ragnarok are being sold on the PS4 in 2022
5. Sells PS5 for $700 in January 2022
6. Buys a used PS4 for $250 in March 2022 and downgrades.
7. Watching Sony's VR event at the end of March 2022 and gets excited about PSVR2 that he knows will now come out in September 2022.
8. Watches E3 in June 2022 and sees a bunch of awesome PS5 games that will be coming out at the end of 2022 and in 2023.
9. In September 2022 he realizes that he actually shouldn't have sold the PS5 because the big cross gen games actually don't run that well on the PS4, but run flawlessly at 60 fps on the PS5.
10. Sells his PS4 in October 2022 for $150 and buys another PS5 for $500.

The assumptions that people simply must buy second controllers and have any interest in VR is one thing, but did you really just make up a string of imaginary dates for imaginary press events and releases to make a point?

Robot Reaction GIF

Nah, I'm out, you've lost your mind here. All the best.

S0ULZB0URNE

How would 20 mil be possible when their internal production targets for spring were 16 million?

Man what in the world is this ? The article I’m referencing is not only much more recent but was published by an actual reputable news outlet (Bloomberg).

Link here : https://t.co/JBE7ffZfSN

This story is likely nothing more than a journalist who overslept, and needed something to turn in. In desperation, they made continuing PS4 production into something bigger than it really is.

But...

But...

The irony in all this isn't lost on me. Wasn't long ago that the prevailing view was that the Series S was a bad move for MS, and would only hold back this generations games. There's gonna be a lot of hurt fee fees if the PS4 takes that role instead.

assurdum

Banned
Why who want a ps5 should buy a PS4? There is the brilliant mind of Jim behind such move? Smell of it. Wouldn't be more logical produce more PS4 pro? At least they will give a boost in performance compared the PS4.

Last edited:
This is such a non story. 1 million PS4s for the entire world for a whole year is nothing. You might as well say they stopped making them. It was normal for the PS4 to sell a million in the US alone during Black Friday week. People acting like cross-gen will continue because of this are complete idiots.

Wouldn't be more logical produce more PS4 pro?

I'm pretty sure its cheaper to produce the PS4 and they know the casual consumer doesn't really care at this point.

is such a non story. 1 million PS4s for the entire world for a whole year is nothing. You might as well say they stopped making them.

...uh, they're still making them. They'll probably make more too (if supply constraints continue).

If Gran Turismo 7 reportedly "became cross gen recently" (a little over a year out from release), what's really stopping Spiderman 2 (and whatever else that comes out in 2023) from "becoming" cross gen?
Hell, they didn't even tell us Miles Morales was cross gen until a blog post, 2 months from release (and 13 days before pre-orders went up).

Can't believe nothing from Sony/Jim anymore when it comes to this shit.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I'm pretty sure its cheaper to produce the PS4 and they know the casual consumer doesn't really care at this point.

...uh, they're still making them. They'll probably make more too (if supply constraints continue).

If Gran Turismo 7 reportedly "became cross gen recently" (a little over a year out from release), what's really stopping Spiderman 2 (and whatever else that comes out in 2023) from "becoming" cross gen?
Hell, they didn't even tell us Miles Morales was cross gen until a blog post, 2 months from release (and 13 days before pre-orders went up).

Can't believe nothing from Sony/Jim anymore when it comes to this shit.
I don't know. If someone buy a ps5 it's because want an upgrade over the PS4 hardware. Why supply more ps4 when clearly people ask for an hardware upgrade. Give them the PS4 PRO, it's better than nothing.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So for awhile I was 100% in the camp the Series S was going to hold back games this generation (Not anymore though) but my question is since Sony is now making more Ps4s doesn't that seem to mean Sony will be forcing cross gen games even longer now?

Kind of wishing now Sony would of had an entry level new gen console and move on to new gen games faster but maybe I am looking at this wrong.

I had mentioned in another thread right before Christmas my local WalMart had about 15 Series S in stock and last night a buddy sent me this pic but he doesn't know the origins of the pic so seems a lot of Series S stock out there

hz8plRs.jpg

So for awhile I was 100% in the camp the Series S was going to hold back games this generation (Not anymore though) but my question is since Sony is now making more Ps4s doesn't that seem to mean Sony will be forcing cross gen games even longer now?

Kind of wishing now Sony would of had an entry level new gen console and move on to new gen games faster but maybe I am looking at this wrong.

I had mentioned in another thread right before Christmas my local WalMart had about 15 Series S in stock and last night a buddy sent me this pic but he doesn't know the origins of the pic so seems a lot of Series S stock out there

hz8plRs.jpg

Making 1 million PS4s isn't going to factor into whether they extend the cross--gen period.

Don't get this concern. They didn't stop the production of PS1, PS2 or PS3 until well into their next-gens life cycle either. This gen is actually the anomaly with how much they cut down on PS4 supply

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Making 1 million PS4s isn't going to factor into whether they extend the cross--gen period.

Don't get this concern. They didn't stop the production of PS1, PS2 or PS3 until well into their next-gens life cycle either. This gen was actaully the anomaly with how much they cut down on PS4 supply
Not so much of a concern was just asking for thoughts

Tripolygon

Banned

There are 120 million PS4 systems in consumer homes. Increasing the production of PS4 by 1 more million to meet demand is not prolonging cross-gen. PS5 is being sold out as they produce them, discontinuing PS4 production will not increase the availability of 7nm fab, it just means more open 16nm fab for other stuff.

Papacheeks

Banned
You've only proven me right about your lack of understanding for your own language.

He's new, and doesn't answer when he's called out. Still didn't answer me in the Stalker 2 thread. I left because he was literally just kind of going off. I hate it when Mom and Dad start fighting.

"Pizza is cold woman"!!!

Lognor

Banned

Don't get this concern. They didn't stop the production of PS1, PS2 or PS3 until well into their next-gens life cycle either. This gen is actually the anomaly with how much they cut down on PS4 supply
Isn't it one million MORE units than last year? So they are increasing production.

And it's not just one million more units. Because the PS4 was so successful Sony is very hesitant to leave those owners behind, hence why we will continue to get cross gen games from Sony until at least the end of this year, and likely into next year. It is what it is.

Microsoft's underperforming Xbox One has made it much easier for them to transition (along with the decision to go day one on PC) and that is why going forward everything from Microsoft is current gen only.

Isn't it one million MORE units than last year? So they are increasing production.

And it's not just one million more units. Because the PS4 was so successful Sony is very hesitant to leave those owners behind, hence why we will continue to get cross gen games from Sony until at least the end of this year, and likely into next year. It is what it is.

Microsoft's underperforming Xbox One has made it much easier for them to transition (along with the decision to go day one on PC) and that is why going forward everything from Microsoft is current gen only.

1 million units on the back of the piss poor numbers from last year isn't significant in the least when their plan is to sell 20+ million PS5s in the same period.

Whether they want to extend the cross-gen period because of their current install base of 120 million is a completely seperate argument to this. This production increase means absolutely nothing for cross-gen

Lognor

Banned
1 million units on the back of the piss poor numbers from last year isn't significant in the least when their plan is to sell 20+ million PS5s in the same period.

Whether they want to extend the cross-gen period because of their current install base of 120 million is a completely seperate argument to this. This production increase means absolutely nothing for cross-gen
Okay, that's fine. One million more units might not be significant, but the cumulative number is. And that is why we will continue to see cross gen games from Sony for a while. It is what it is.

cormack12

Gold Member
I wish they just offered some sort of return programme for those of us with PS4's already. I have like a PS4 and two Pros, I cba reselling them so if Sony did a return scheme for recycling it would be ace with like some nominal PSN credit. Making another million consoles is crazy to me.

IDWhite

At least one thing is clear, this gen is a complete anomaly compared to previous ones. All the circumstances are pointing to a longer or shorter generation of games ever.

ZywyPL

Banned

I don't think so. People who buy consoles this late into the generation will be experiencing the launch titles just now, let alone the late-gen heavy hitters, because this kind of group of customers is the one who wants to play on a budget, serious budget, that's why they'll be getting the PS4 just now, because it's fairly cheap and the games they're going to play cost like10-15$ tops, mostly used copies if we're at it. So they have an 8-years worth catalog of games to experience, plus they won't be bringing much money for Sony anyway because they won;t be paying for PS+ and buying all the MP-oriented games, it's too late for that, those kind of people will be focusing on used copies of SP-focused games, and there's really no reason for Sony to even think of supporting this client group, because all they'll be waiting for is PS6, so they can catch up with PS5 and it's library.

There really isn't a "gen" this time around. It's either PS4 / Series S same-grade bollocks.

I feel extra FPS and tighter textures are all we are going to get for the next 5 years.

I personally wouldn't mind it. It would be the "stop and take a deep breath" moment the consoles IMO need so much. 60FPs finally being the default framerate and devs having to get creating once again and focus on physics, AI, interaction etc. and new, fun gameplay mechanics, instead of chasing resolution and pretty visuals with barebones gameplay that's 30FPS...

Last edited:
Top Bottom