• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is developing a PlayStation 5 VR headset with LED lighting and haptic feedback

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Sony seems to be developing a new PSVR headset for the PS5. A recently published patent may give us more insight into Sony’s plans for this virtual reality headset.

playstation-5-psvr2-770x717.jpg

The patent entitled “Pressure sensing to identify fitness and comfort of virtual reality headset” was filed in mid-2016 by Sony Interactive Entertainment at the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office). The patent was granted on November 24, 2020.

The inventor of this technology is Steven Osman, Head of PlayStation Magic Lap and Principal Software Engineer at Sony Interactive Entertainment. The patent is intended to increase the wearing comfort of VR / AR headsets.

The images show a significantly lighter headset than the existing PlayStation VR. Two models are shown, one with headband, the other looks like VR-glasses. However, it is a utility patent and not a design patent, in other words the patented technology is most important, the design can still change.

The HMD (head mounted display) can be used in combination with a Sony PlayStation console or a PC, according to the patent description.

VR headsets are typically worn by the user for a relatively long period of time. If such an HMD is worn correctly, the pressure will be divided over multiple points, which benefits the wearing comfort. However, if the headset is too tight, too loose or otherwise does not fit properly on the user’s head, this will cause discomfort over time. In addition, a bad fit can contribute to incorrect tracking data. The documentation is aimed at preventing this.

Various sensors are built into the VR headset, which send signals to determine whether the headset is being worn correctly. Pressure sensors, motion sensors or stretch sensors can be used for this. The sensors will be divided over the entire headset, for better detection. In the image above, these sensors are indicated as “P” (Pressure sensor). In addition, a motion sensor is built in, such as an acceleration sensor (indicated as “ACC” in the image above).

A camera can also be used for this purpose, to visualize the user and use image recognition to determine if the headset is on correctly. Different types of cameras can be used, including a thermal imaging camera.

In addition, the documentation mentions the integration of light emitting diodes (LED) and haptic feedback generators. Haptic feedback is one of the best features of the PS5 DualSense controller. This allows the user to much better sense what is going on in the game – where you are walking, what you are holding, etc. If Sony can integrate haptic feedback into its PSVR 2 it could be of great benefit.

If the headset does not fit optimally, the user automatically receives tips to improve wearing comfort. This feedback can be displayed visibly on screen, but also through speech thanks to the built-in speakers. In addition, the haptic feedback can be used to provide the user with additional information regarding wearing comfort.

The LED lighting can also be used to provide additional feedback to the user. For example, red lighting means that it is not yet properly attached. While green indicates that the VR headset is being worn optimally.

In addition, it should be possible for the user to create a profile, where, among other things, you can set various types of head shapes, head sizes, and hair styles. A rotatable knob is included on the back of the headset to tighten or loosen the headband. An audio speaker is built in on the left and right side (in the image above these are shown as “S” of speaker).

Finally, a HMD is shown in the form of VR-glasses. As this device has a very different form factor, the sensors will also have to be placed differently. A small strain gauge with contact sensor is applied at the junction of the HMD and the spectacle leg, which allows the tension to be measured towards the user’s head and thus determine whether the headset is being worn correctly.

Then, with the help of the camera, face recognition can be performed to detect the distance between the eyes. This information is used to determine whether the headset is worn too far forward / backward or too far tilted.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Can recognize a patent-based post that makes assumptions that aren't at all safe to make without even clicking on it.

The vast majority of patents never become products. It's funny to see how people never learn this and shitty sites desperate for clickbait keep encouraging it.

Last edited:
it's been 3 years since I began paying attention to VR and these 3 years have been full of Sony VR patents and no actual products

it's kinda like the promise of PS5: the extra power should make psvr so much better. It's only getting a few old PS4 updated VR games better crispness, but won't make Destiny 2 VR or Dirt Rally 2.0 a reality in the headset unfortunately

OrtizTwelve

I don’t know if we’ll see another VR headset for PlayStation this generation.

It did OK on PS4 but the hype isn’t there anymore.

Huh.

Guess I'll wait another year before getting into VR.

Was so hot on the trigger to get one earlier this year, decided against it.

We shall see if the next iteration of the PSVR improves upon VR as a whole, or just the PSVR itself.

Resenge

I don’t know if we’ll see another VR headset for PlayStation this generation.

It did OK on PS4 but the hype isn’t there anymore.
The hype is there but PSVR hardware is so outdated now, people are moving on to the Oculus Quest 2 or some PCVR variant. Can't beat the Quest 2, that tech is a steal at 299.

Wireless with no external sensors is the future VR headset tech norm imo and is what I think PSVR 2 will release with.

Last edited:

wondermega

exciting and it makes me want to be optimistic, but Sony's recent comments sounded pretty "wait and see" regarding their commitment to involvement of the future of VR. Patents are cool but they are never a guarantee of anything. So.. wait and see.

Rudius

This is good. It could simulate things like rain and wind in a similar way to Astro's Playroom. Combine that with visuals and sound and your immersion is increased.

I hope Sony reveals PSVR2 early next year. It makes sense to space out the hardware releases, but waiting too much (more than a year) would damage their presence in the VR market.

Greeno

Haptic feedback? What? Why would that be implemented into a VR headset? If you get hit in the head, you'd feel it in real life (is that what is suggested)?

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
All I care about is wireless inside-out tracking. The Quest 2 works ridiculously well with zero external tracking. The only issue is that it can't track controller positioning behind you, but PSVR already has that issue (and worse).

Last edited:

GymWolf

Going wired again would be a major buzzkill. However, only if the highest quality image standards can be achieved.
They can do like quest, it does work with pc heavy games both on wireless and wired.
There is no excuse in 2021 to not have a wireless vr headset.

Why putting wifi 6.0 on your console if not for a wireless headset?!

Last edited:

nbkicker

I hated the wires to the headset on the first edition of psvr, but it was miles better on the sedond edition that came out where headphones where plugged into headset itself and single cable all way to breakout box, it was just let down by using the move controllers for tracking and the amount of cables to set up and move around if you only played it now and again, would love a wireless headset solution, but not if the image quality wasnt improved on what we have now, although dont no if id want another breakout box solution again

RGB'D

PSVR really just doesn't compare to other offerings and I'm not sure it ever will. You owe it to yourself if you have a PC to try a different set (with Valve Index as my favorite). But to have a better VR experience they need drastically better tracking and true VR controllers and better refresh rates. I'm not sure that accomplishing all that coincides with the price point SONY has been targeting for PSVR. They have such a mixed message with VR support for PS5 and any future VR plans.

Shmunter

PSVR really just doesn't compare to other offerings and I'm not sure it ever will. You owe it to yourself if you have a PC to try a different set (with Valve Index as my favorite). But to have a better VR experience they need drastically better tracking and true VR controllers and better refresh rates. I'm not sure that accomplishing all that coincides with the price point SONY has been targeting for PSVR. They have such a mixed message with VR support for PS5 and any future VR plans.
Yes and no. The headset tracking is almost flawlessly robust. Moves, not the case.

Refresh rate is either 90 or 120, so no issues there.

On the flip side PSVR is the only system that tracks a twin stick controller of which many games use very well.

Room for improvement no doubt, but highly impressive and still desirable today.

Kev Kev

oh hey look it's namekuseijin namekuseijin 's alt :messenger_tears_of_joy:

RGB'D

Yes and no. The headset tracking is almost flawlessly robust. Moves, not the case.

Refresh rate is either 90 or 120, so no issues there.

On the flip side PSVR is the only system that tracks a twin stick controller of which many games use very well.

Room for improvement no doubt, but highly impressive and still desirable today.
I'll concede the refresh rate. I only mention it because 144hz (even vs 90 and 120) makes a big difference in ability to tolerate VR without nausea/motion sickness for me personally. I'm sure some people have the same experience, but it might not be a big problem for many.

Headset tracking was good (still inferior to lighthouse tracking) but the controller tracking is so imperative to the experience and was a constant source of frustration... maybe I just had a lemon.

When I built my new PC, Valve Index felt like a revelation and my Quest felt significantly better as well.

For the record my main argument was that improvements had to be made to compete, and not that SONY was incapable of accomplishing this, they just haven't had any consistent messaging and I doubt their targeted price point would allow for these features. Unless they have a heavily subsidized unit, I don't have confidence that the premium features that differentiate other headsets would ever be included as I expect it would outprice their market. I doubt a console only gamer is going to get drop 1k on a VR system, so I doubt PSVR2 will ever compare.

The original still is decent unit, and was great at the time(though in retrospect they shouldn't have adopted the move controllers and instead produced their own VR specific ones) but its dated now and outpaced by its competition. I will admit that i am also a little bitter that Hitman is locked behind PSVR...

Also I do maintain, if you have only used PSVR, try other systems out if you have an opportunity.

BabyYoda

Banned
I doubt all of that tech-just to guarantee a good fit-is economically viable tbh. I do hope their next headset is compatible with the PC though, I highly doubt that'll happen mind...

I'm sure LED stripes will still be there, it's part of the visual appeal of psvr even if not used for tracking.

and I hope I can throw my banana controller in Hitman.

RGB'D

psvr OLED panel is 120Hz, only Index is higher at 144Hz.

not that many games run at that in either. But it does feel extra smooth with reprojection.
I do have a index and I feel like more games are supporting the 144hz option. But even the ones that don't are improved with reprojection. It helps my VR tolerance quite a bit. 120hz on the PSVR is definitely good, but it's in conjunction with the the controller tracking/functionality and tracking where the differences become pretty apparent.

Last of Us VR?
God of War VR
Gran Tursmo VR.
All of those exclusives, with appropriate controls will be mind-blowing in VR.
Glad someone as Sony moving VR forward.

Top Bottom